Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

Laserface posted:

A LOT of tickets came in.

but we closed them all with a "gotcha! ;) "

Someone put one of these up in our office on April 1st. It's still there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

I've been busy so am rather late with this, but I also want to say congrats to blackswordca. It's been a long time coming. A drat long time.

Also please find a way to tell us how the old place gets on when you're gone!

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

HalloKitty posted:

Common problem I believe, a bloke at work had the same problem. He said that support had told him it was not unusual.

Yup. I've had the same on my SGS4 in the UK. I was directed by Samsung to a local repair place who literally just took my old battery, took one look at it and gave me a new one on the spot.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

I've no idea what's going on there but I'm pointing out for your benefit that one of the rules for this forum is:

The Rules posted:

Don't mention whether any of your software is illegally acquired.

Also, if you're going to do that, for the love of god why vista?

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

As an end user of Assyst, I can confidently say I'd rather submit tickets in writing via internal post.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

On the subject of Windows shortcut keys, I'm forever finding that people don't know about the Windows + Arrow keys (particularly useful with multiple monitors) so I'm just going to leave this here:
  • Win + Up: maximise
  • Win + Down: restore / minimise
  • Win + Left: snap to left half of display
  • Win + Right: snap to right half of display
  • Win + Shift + Up: maximise vertical
  • Win + Shift + Left: send current window to previous monitor
  • Win + Shift + Right: send current window to next monitor

This is a war crime.
VVVV

rolleyes fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jul 26, 2014

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

What do you guys recommend for remote support for family? I'm looking for something I can use to remotely control my parent's computer.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Thanks, I'll check both of them out.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

I'm pretty sure I'll be trying that one later.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

I went with teamviewer in the end as I happened to try it first and it did the job. The free android app is a nice bonus in a pinch as well.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Volmarias posted:

As per the PPACA ("Obamacare") thread, Oracle is now suing Oregon. See the writeup and the complaint, this looks like it will be a truly magical event. Thank you cowtown for posting this originally.

I don't normally bother reading the actual complaints but really, that's pretty hilarious. I know Oracle will have done their best to cherry-pick the facts to support their version, but even with a healthy dose of scepticism I don't see how Oregon can win this one.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

I don't normally do this, but I had a look at a friend's father's computer because he's a good guy and has given me free financial/accounting advice (i.e. he's qualified) in the past, so fair's fair.

Issue:
PC is running slowly.

Assessment:
For once, it genuinely is. It only has 2GB RAM which is a little low for Windows 7 but shouldn't cause anything like this - disk is pegged at 100% activity, it's swapping like it's going out of fashion, and one instance of svchost is taking up 600MB of that precious RAM.

Diagnosis:
Looked at recently installed programs, saw a load of HP stuff at the top. Asked him if he noticed slowness around the same time he installed the new printer sitting on the desk; of course he did! Uninstalled every single HP item I could see, downloaded the basic driver, rebooted and everything's back to how it should be.

gently caress printers, but especially gently caress HP's consumer driver software. :argh:

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

GreenNight posted:

IT is allowed to change any employees password and enter their email account. It's the companies email, not your private gmail.

Note that this is entirely untrue in the UK. The infrastructure on which the mail resides and is transmitted is company property, but you actually have certain expectations/rights to privacy on the email itself as an employee. Obviously you can't own company secrets, but neither is your employer permitted to go spelunking through your email without an extremely good reason and in almost all circumstances they're obliged to notify you that they're doing it. This also only applies to header/addressing information (e.g. at most the subject line) - reading the content is even more restricted and likely to result in an employment tribunal or lawsuit if action is taken on the basis of doing so (or even if it's discovered).

"I done gone emailed them the wrong darn email" would not count as a valid reason.

Edit:
For those interested, here's a brief fact sheet which summarises the position on this in the UK.

rolleyes fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Aug 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

I hate the word 'resource' in that context too, and will usually just use the obvious replacement: 'people'. If I'm talking to particularly corporate-doublespeak-loving sectors of management I will stretch so far as to use the word 'personnel'.

• Locked thread