Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Please Sam, don't use the word 'acumen' again.

Rhonyn Peacemaker posted:

so one of my parts guys uses a volvo partner network page (vppn.com) to order parts for some of the stuff we buy. Turns out that the page uses embedded SVG that looks for adobe SVG support...that ended in 2009.

He has a brand new windows 8 computer and it isn't showing him the graphics. I cannot imagine a more rear end backwards catalog of parts. Anyone have any ideas in how I could fix that?

I had a similar problem in our office. Our primary software uses SVG to display a lot of diagnostic information. Never could get it to work on my Win7 x64 install, but it did work from a XP Mode window.

Laptop broke and they switched me to a Win7 x32 machine, and it works beautifully now. So I think the key is that SVG viewer only works in a 32-bit environment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

FISHMANPET posted:

For the longest time we had https://www.dept.school.edu and dept.school.edu. We also have all our computers with public IPs (because hooray research institution). For many years we set the MX records for all our IPs to be dept.school.edu instead of mail.dept.school.edu. So dept.school.edu was the record for the mail server, not the web serer. It wasn't until a couple of years ago that we finally changed that (and many years after I did an exhaustive search through DNS to find that no single MX record was pointing at dept.school.edu anymore).

My high school was the same way, they just fixed it in the last year. I used to accidentally end up at the web portal login because I never remember to use the prefix.

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

stevewm posted:

... obscenely complicated password requirements setup on it....

At least it had obscene password requirements. We use them frequently to hand off patient data, and one system I found doesn't allow special characters to be used in the password.

We do a similar thing, but it doesn't check the entire subject line, just the first word. So if you reply to a securemail and change the subject to "RE: *keyword* subject", you're screwed if you forget to remove the prefix.

It also checks for a list of keywords in the body, which gets me a lot when I'm sending out dummy data that doesn't need to be secured.

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

I think some jerk in marketing thought, "this is so outrageous that people would never think to do that". Meanwhile everyone in IT realizes they just made an instructional video for assholes.

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

mad.radhu posted:

"Trackpad broken on iPad Air"

I'm genuinely curious as to what this means. I'm thinking them meant Macbook air, but I'm picturing an iPad Air with a shattered screen.

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

C) you are tech support for life, and get fed the "Aww come on you did it for free last time this won't take but a minute!"

I've recently had the opposite "problem", one of my best clients insists on paying for literally remoting to her PC and uninstalling an app.

It would take longer to write the check than it took me to do the job. She already pays me several hundred a year to do menial setups and such. When I finally gave her a bill at her insistence, she sent me nearly double.

These are best problems to have, but it feels like I'm taking advantage.

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

MF_James posted:

If she sent you double what you billed, she clearly thinks you are worth more than your are charging and feels SHE is taking advantage of YOU without paying you the extra.

I agree.. and I have no idea why. She's my only client who insists on big fat tips. :iia:

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Manslaughter posted:

Spent all morning trying to figure out why a client's DateTimes were getting the month and day transposed, guess where their servers are [not] hosted? gently caress you America, why you gotta do everything rear end backwards.

As an American who works with software written by an Australian company, I say you all have it backward. :colbert:

Also, I'd much prefer if we switched to using YYYYMMDD for everything, internally and externally.

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

You'd be surprised the crazy poo poo some platforms use for dates internally. ANSI M was the fever dream of some guy designing database platforms for hospitals, so he decided that the date 0 should be the day before the birthday of the oldest currently living American and that dates should be the number of seconds since that time. Pretty much any date coming in or out of software implemented on an M-based platform as to do hilarious work to figure out what format they're receiving or need to send in and translate.

This is made more hilarious by the fact that several major banks also run software that uses M (why????), so they have to deal with the weird epoch and the fact that all numerical values are stored as doubles and there's no built in way to truncate them precisely, which makes dealing with currency amounts weird.

I'm sure I've posted about this before, but it never stops being hilarious seeing the workarounds programmers have to use to get things that are completely standard in most modern database platforms.

I have to translate all the dates in my system from their weirdass epoch date using excel... =TEXT((K2-21548),"mm/dd/yyyy")

I think it's day since 12/31/1889 or something like that.

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

scroogle nmaps posted:

A ticket came in from someone in the military, who literally just used "Nancy" instead of "November" for the phonetic alphabet.

Archer is real.

I intentionally use "M as in Mancy" with my friends now.

I may also be guilty of forgetting my NATO alphabet from time to time and using "Nancy" instead when sharing PSKs.

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Your password is p@ssword3

P as in Phone
At symbol
S as in Seashore
S as in Seashore
W as in Wrench
O as in One
R as in Right
D as in Djibouti
And then the number three.

You're the worst kind of person.

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

ratbert90 posted:

How about tilde? :v:

Even more exotic, the pipe |

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

sfwarlock posted:

... to terminate a coworker.

We'd recently been joking about solving wifi issues by coating the floors, ceilings and walls in aluminum foil, on the theory that it would turn the office into a giant Faraday cage.

"Yeah, and it'll solve the problem of cell phones ringing in meetings!"
"Or at all! And no more pesky natural light or polluted air!"
"Hey, if we turn the transmit power high enough, we'll get rid of maternity leave!"

Guess that last one was over the line...

Well, I thought it was funny. Where you shouting this across the office or something?

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Helushune posted:

And here I thought you were talking about a scrum daily meeting that completely missed the 15 minute mark.

Our daily scrum ranges from a half hour to an hour. It's awful, and completely misses the point.

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

blackswordca posted:

So a call came in:

From the other company. They called my references, everything was perfect so they are going to send me an offer. They want me to be tier 1 for 6 months first, then promote me to tier 2 after that trial period. I should have an offer today, and when I do, its time to give notice.

The post following you giving notice will be the best post ITT since Dick quit.

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

President Ark posted:

Son of a bitch, that was it. Uninstalling Norton made the computer boot up in about a minute instead of 10 and now everything's working fine, albiet a bit slowly. I've seen Norton do some screwy poo poo before but nothing nearly that bad.

If you hadn't posted that I probably would've flattened it today. :worship:

If you didn't already, run the Norton Removal Tool. It does a better job than the regular uninstaller at cleaning all the crud out.

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Godsped posted:

D, stop printing out every email sent to both of us and giving the copy to me. I will just throw it out. We can talk about it without a printed out copy as our desks are five feet apart. I believe in you!

This is my boss, the IT Director. I'm convinced that he's a Captain Planet villain. There was a company-wide message about saving on printing because we lease these things, and the very same day he printed out a 20 page document to hand to me that I was already reading on my screen.

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

My boss got a call this morning from a site stating that our server there was making noises. This was from their IT Manager, who is not on the site, so it must have been reported by a user there.

We drove over (which is thankfully only a 5-10 minute drive), and found that our server was fine, and their UPS is making a horrible high-pitched squealing noise, sitting on a shelf above the rack our server is in.

At least I got to go on a field trip today.

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Billy the Mountain posted:

It would seem MS dropped an update last week that kills Surface Pro 3 tablets from seeing any wireless networks. Driver reinstall, update rollback, and system restore all fail to resolve.

Looking at having to refresh and reinstall about 30 of the fuckers at various small clients.

MS quality control is really slipping.

My sister-in-law called me about this very same thing two nights ago on hers. Mine updated fine, but hers is completely borked now.

Did everything short of system restore. Uninstalled the driver, reinstalled from the MS firmware package, nothing. Do we have any idea wtf to do about these yet?

e: Just found this, which sounds like it could very well be the issue at hand for her: http://winsupersite.com/surface/manually-switching-wifi-bands-surface-pro-3

double edit: Apparently this just happened too. Free Windows 10 upgrades for 8.1, 8.1 Phone and 7.
http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/21/7866679/windows-10-will-be-a-free-upgrade-for-windows-7-and-8-1-users

Dragyn fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jan 21, 2015

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Jedi425 posted:

We put up a picture of this over the door to our work area back when I was on the Geek Squad. The supervisor came in, asked us what it was, we said it was an old German saying.

Then he came back a couple hours later and made us take it down.

This is really weird. We did the exact same thing in our precinct.

You didn't work in store 343, did you?

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Jedi425 posted:

I don't think so, but again, this was at least 10 years ago, hell if I can remember the store number. It was in AZ.

I think it says a lot about working for them that this happened at more than one store, though.

Nope, this was in MA around 2008.

Great minds I guess. Manager did the same thing, we told him it was a German inspirational saying. I don't know if he ever figured it out though.

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

MJP posted:

A Tcet came n...

I think the best response here is a simple "k".

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Sirotan posted:

A bunny came in...

:3: :3:

Late to the party (sorry, I'm a week behind the thread right now). But I see your office rabbit, and raise you an office African Pygmy Hedgehog. Her name is Rue and she was also there for a handoff. :-3

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

"fiat accompli" is a wonderful phrase

"fiat accompli" ain't no passing craze

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Inspector_666 posted:

I'm so torn on this, philosophically.

On one hand, yes it's generally pretty easy to run off a clone and make sure you can recover that data and IT hero, etc.

On the other hand, the best object lesson for following the rules is "You didn't follow the rules, so you lost everything." I feel like there has to be some buy in from the managers of both departments so that people don't just treat IT like a backup service and actually save stuff where it's supposed to go.

I've always illustrated to my clients that's it not necessarily an issue of "we have to wipe the drive and you're going to love everything". Remember there's a whole host of other things that can happen that the IT Local Backup Solution doesn't protect them from: total HD failures, fire, theft.

..and on a related topic: Remember kids, if you have a backup hard drive that you use diligently at home, I'm proud of you, but you're still susceptible to natural disasters and theft. I always recommend consumer cloud backup.

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Drink and Fight posted:

Today I watched my CEO print an entire 200+-page powerpoint presentation.

My IT Director does this all the time.. except it's a copy for the three of us that report to him, and we all just put it in the recycling bin that day because we already had the electronic one.

I'm convinced that he's a Captain Planet villain.

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

anthonypants posted:

Especially with the medical industry closing in on becoming Completely Paperless!!!

I'm not entirely sure if this was sarcasm or not, but I can assure all of you that we are probably around 50 years from that actually having a chance of happening. You're talking about an industry that still uses fax machines as a primary means of day-to-day communication in most places. Not digital faxes either, good old-fashioned "print->fax->shred" workflows.

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Zemyla posted:

I should invent a machine that flips faxes right-side-up. It sounds like there's a market.

Yeah, but when you get it patented make sure you fax it the right way.

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

quote:

..Nextgen...Allscripts... Cerner...

My condolences to you all. If someone here wouldl ike to discuss McKesson Healthquest as well I can fill up my horrible EMR company bingo card.

As much as I hate to see everyone being borged into Epic. Their poo poo is nice.

ninja: I do not work for Epic, nor am I even Epic certified

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

nitrogen posted:

Funny, this is exactly what my new employer does. Cloud-base EHR for doctors that isn't Epic or Nextgen.

Does your company share a name with a Greek goddess, by any chance?

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Trastion posted:

Thanks for getting me to open that at work. Good thing I am the one who controls the web filter.

This is precisely why I browse via RDP to my home PC. Never know when you're gonna end up somewhere your employer wouldn't approve of.

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

The company I came from had maybe 25 in an office of like 800, and my present office is 2 leased copiers for 40 people and one is really just for the admin staff up front. I cannot imagine having all those printers.

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

I used to work on a ton of these towers. If I remember how those Dell cases work, the HD cage can be removed and is an absolute bastard to line up correctly and reattach. Looks like someone gave up.

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Renegret posted:

Slimlines? IIRC the HD cage was mounted below the DVD drive which needed something else removed to access it or something. It's been a while, I don't remember that well.

Those loving power supplies though.

Crap, you're right. I thought this was a full tower. Didn't even notice the slimline power supply.

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

I would buy this book.

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

larchesdanrew posted:

I love you, Dr. Arbitrary. I'm just being purposefully obtuse. It's been a pretty poo poo morning and I'm feeling all combative.

At least the new weather girl that started today is super nice and also a huge nerd. I was on the phone with her and monitoring her screen to help her troubleshoot their radar controller and muttered "so what is your ip address?" She swooped in and Win+r>cmd>ipconfig and read me the ip address.

Competency :swoon:

You marry her and add a love story to this plot arc.

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

wa27 posted:

Oh well, today is also my birthday.

Yesterday was also my birthday.. There must be something about Thanksgiving that makes people wanna conceive.

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Bizarre Appearance R46.1
Very low level of personal hygiene R46.0

It seems goons have their very own ICD10 codes.

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Today's XKCD is on-topic: http://xkcd.com/1586/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Potato Salad posted:

This thread will be a sadder place the day larches gets a better job at a better place with a better boss.

Another hero will come forth. They always do.

• Locked thread