Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Sirotan posted:

:ohdear:

(It helps me not forget that I've plugged it in somewhere...)

404: keys not found

That's just adorable and unlikely to damage the port :kimchi:

We have folks with i-keys on a ring with their car keys and crap. Laptops don't have much of a problem but those with desktops were supplied with usb extension cables when we quickly got tired of replacing those little usb daughter boards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Lightning Jim posted:

Actually, my heart believes there's no RAID at all, just 2 drives. Even a RAID 0 would have had some thought put into it.

My heart tells me JBOD, which was automatically set up by the device

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

edit: gently caress here's one better:

A ticket came in:
My computer is slow.

Boogalo posted:

People who let keys dangle off the end of thumbdrives plugged into the front of desktops are monsters.
All key rings must have a QD piece in them for just this reason.
Probably the only downside of type C, that tiny connector is going to be so damned easy to rip out.

Ursine Asylum posted:

Incidentally, the opposite case holds true as well. My mechanic got on my case for leaving my car key on my carabiner when I started my car up; apparently it doesn't take a whole lot of added weight to gently caress up your ignition system.
Hence the giant ignition switch recall for basically all GM cars produced in the last decade.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Aug 24, 2015

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
:siren:poo poo is going down:siren:

Sort of.

Sales department can't share office documents since everyone is using a different version of different productivity suites. Sales manager and I talked it over and decided on 365 for their department.

Supervisor wants to buy several home licenses, since you get five users for $8 a month. I told GM that this is loving stupid as hell and multiple home accounts being paid with the same credit card with the clients using the same IP is a really great way to get audited and we've got poo poo on this network that could get us in serious trouble if that happened.

Supervisor and I are locking horns on this. He is insisting on home licenses and I am insisting on business licenses.

Guess who the GM is siding with :smug:

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
Whats a good solution for a internal self-help knowledge base? Something like Wordpress?

edit: Wow, guess our helpdesk software (ServicePRO) has that ability built in. Nevermind

Danith fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Aug 24, 2015

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Danith posted:

Whats a good solution for a internal self-help knowledge base? Something like Wordpress?

Wikimedia, but lock editing to only certain people?

vibur
Apr 23, 2004

larchesdanrew posted:

Supervisor wants to buy several home licenses, since you get five users for $8 a month. I told GM that this is loving stupid as hell and multiple home accounts being paid with the same credit card with the clients using the same IP is a really great way to get audited and we've got poo poo on this network that could get us in serious trouble if that happened.

Supervisor and I are locking horns on this. He is insisting on home licenses and I am insisting on business licenses.
You can tell your shithead supervisor that my predecessor here did that exact thing. Guess what happened? Hint: I have his job now.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

vibur posted:

You can tell your shithead supervisor that my predecessor here did that exact thing. Guess what happened? Hint: I have his job now.

Maybe I should keep my mouth shut and just secretly sprinkle some gasoline for this eventual shitstorm.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

larchesdanrew posted:

:siren:poo poo is going down:siren:

Sort of.

Sales department can't share office documents since everyone is using a different version of different productivity suites. Sales manager and I talked it over and decided on 365 for their department.

Guess who the GM is siding with :smug:

If your supervisor wants to manage a bunch of Windows Live IDs to hold that loving house of cards together...

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Thanks Ants posted:

If your supervisor you wants to manage a bunch of Windows Live IDs to hold that loving house of cards together...

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Bingo

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Sounds like you have a few other things on your network to update, as well. As long as you're going the "We want to be a business that's not operating borderline(completely?) illegally, in part." route

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Operating within Microsoft's license agreements is usually a pretty good idea. We all break it for one reason or another, but throwing up a huge flag like that giving them an excuse to come audit you? Does he think that wont be expensive as all gently caress?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Apparently he doesn't think, he is merely an expert system connected to a markov text generator designed to reduce any given system to its least functional and immediately expensive incarnation, while covering for its inability to pass the turing test with riffs on a few pre-written responses to the effect of 'need to know basis'.

I mean I don't know why you have such a highly advanced android working for your TV station or why someone would go to that much effort to produce such a device, but possibly it is an attempt to gauge the effectiveness of robotic societal infiltration, using the cunning rationale that nobody would possibly suspect such an annoying person of being intelligently designed.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

larchesdanrew posted:

Maybe I should keep my mouth shut and just secretly sprinkle some gasoline for this eventual shitstorm.

If you were evil, you could let him win (without actually backing his asinine idea). Sounds like the GM is aware of your stance. Then all it takes is a tip to the BSA, you remain safely anonymous and collect the whistleblower percentage of their fine, and supervisor gets fired or at least has IT removed from his sphere of influence.

Of course there's that pesky, "I wonder *who* not only called the BSA, but also knew they would find violations...?". Hard to keep the "anonymity" BSA guarantees in those cases in small shops.

In the real world, it's better just to license it correctly and start chipping away at all the other shady stuff over time.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

flosofl posted:

If you were evil, you could let him win (without actually backing his asinine idea). Sounds like the GM is aware of your stance. Then all it takes is a tip to the BSA, you remain safely anonymous and collect the whistleblower percentage of their fine, and supervisor gets fired or at least has IT removed from his sphere of influence.
Yeah, that would be a great idea. Except for the part where the broadcaster that larchesdanrew still works for gets hit with massive fines and likely ends with him being jobless. But yeah, great idea.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

nexxai posted:

Yeah, that would be a great idea. Except for the part where the broadcaster that larchesdanrew still works for gets hit with massive fines and likely ends with him being jobless. But yeah, great idea.

I'm more an "ideas" guy. Obviously some one will still need to make a detailed plan.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I don't see how shopping your workplace to the BSA could ever be a good idea. When you live, yeah sure go hog wild.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Thanks Ants posted:

I don't see how shopping your workplace to the BSA could ever be a good idea. When you live, yeah sure go hog wild.

It's not.

It was a (very poor) joke.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

flosofl posted:

Of course there's that pesky, "I wonder *who* not only called the BSA, but also knew they would find violations...?". Hard to keep the "anonymity" BSA guarantees in those cases in small shops.

In the real world, it's better just to license it correctly and start chipping away at all the other shady stuff over time.

THIS IS CLEARLY ENTRAPMENT

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Dick Trauma tried it and they never even investigated so he'd probably be fine.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Is there a guide somewhere for removing the uefi exploit on the Lenovo laptops?

e: nvm http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?p=29497693&sid=ddf3e32512932172454de515091db014#p29497693

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Supervisor insisting that Microsoft themselves told him to use Home licenses for 365, AND set the account up for us. Every time he parrots that response, I just holler "bullshit" and reiterate that I'm signing up for business licenses.

He can balk all he wants at this poo poo, I'm still handing in a quote for business licenses to the GM himself and setting up the account.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I really don't see what he has to gain from this. If the GM is OK with paying for a proper business license, then why is he trying to make things difficult for himself (and you)?

While I wouldn't agree with it, I could at least see his point if it was a question of squeezing it through a tight budget.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

larchesdanrew posted:

Supervisor insisting that Microsoft themselves told him to use Home licenses for 365, AND set the account up for us. Every time he parrots that response, I just holler "bullshit" and reiterate that I'm signing up for business licenses.

He can balk all he wants at this poo poo, I'm still handing in a quote for business licenses to the GM himself and setting up the account.

It's so loving easy, just have him print out the email from Microsoft saying it's ok. He's got it in writing, right?

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Collateral Damage posted:

I really don't see what he has to gain from this. If the GM is OK with paying for a proper business license, then why is he trying to make things difficult for himself (and you)?

While I wouldn't agree with it, I could at least see his point if it was a question of squeezing it through a tight budget.

This is his biggest thing. He acts like every dime this company spends is being ripped forcefully from his own pockets. He's one of those guys that wants to haggle or cheat their way into getting the best deal possible on anything. Nothing can be bought at face value; it always has to either come at a discount or with some added payola. He has no scruples about threatening or blackmailing for it either. He'll sit there for years waiting for someone to give him a $100 discount on a $25,000 machine that is desperately needed. The old GM ate it up because he did whatever it took to get the cheapest price for everything, but I'm a firm believer in that you get what you pay for. If I have to pay the price everyone else does for a legitimate product, but I get it in a reasonable amount of time and can work towards bettering this loving place at a pace quicker than a snail with a walker, then so be it.

A Frosty Witch fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Aug 25, 2015

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

I'm very sorry for what I'm about to say, but here it comes:
IT IS THE YEAR OF TWO THOUSAND AND FIFTEEN HOW ARE PEOPLE STILL DOWNLOADING poo poo LIKE 'VANCE JOY RIPTIDE.MP3.EXE' AND THEN ACT REALLY CONFUSED WHEN WE TELL THEM THAT THEIR COMPUTER IS FULL OF VIRUSES (well, it's not because antivirus deleted it and I read it in a report).

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Bernardo Orel posted:

I'm very sorry for what I'm about to say, but here it comes:
IT IS THE YEAR OF TWO THOUSAND AND FIFTEEN HOW ARE PEOPLE STILL DOWNLOADING poo poo LIKE 'VANCE JOY RIPTIDE.MP3.EXE' AND THEN ACT REALLY CONFUSED WHEN WE TELL THEM THAT THEIR COMPUTER IS FULL OF VIRUSES (well, it's not because antivirus deleted it and I read it in a report).

If you're my annoying VP of Marketing then he would just tell me to shut the hell up because "macs dont get viruses" :dukedog:

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

We had a former employee do just this. They left on a bad note and filed false "anonymous" reports to just about every state and federal agency they could find. Along with industry organizations such as the BSA and SPA.

The BSA did come investigating. Even though we had a lawyer that specialized in dealing with BSA and their ilk, it was still hell... Much worse than your typical MS audit. They wanted detailed scans of every machine and several years of purchasing records. They made lots of threats. They used every little technicality they could find to ensure maximum non-compliance. They also don't care about COA stickers and the like.. If you cannot produce a dated purchase invoice you are non-compliant. And in some cases even that wasn't enough, they tried to ding us for OS licenses on several machines we purchased at retail because they claimed the invoices where not "detailed enough". Same with the refurb/off-lease laptops we had purchased.

Also, on MS suite products, such as MS Office, they will split it up and ding you for 3x the retail value of every program.

We thought we where compliant... After going through that whole process, I am convinced it is impossible for a business to ever be 100% compliant.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

larchesdanrew posted:

This is his biggest thing. He acts like every dime this company spends is being ripped forcefully from his own pockets. He's one of those guys that wants to haggle or cheat their way into getting the best deal possible on anything. Nothing can be bought at face value; it always has to either come at a discount or with some added payola. He has no scruples about threatening or blackmailing for it either. The old GM ate it up because he did whatever it took to get the cheapest price for everything, but I'm a firm believer in that you get what you pay for. If I have to pay the price everyone else does for a legitimate product, then so be it.

I'm surprised this guy isn't all anti-Micro$oft and instead trying to get everyone on Google Docs or LibreOffice or something.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Jesus Christ this dumb son of a bitch I work for doesn't even know what version of office we're using. I finally wrest from him the login info for the 365 account and we're using business premium, not home. He's been telling me since he set it up that it's a home version. Now I look like an rear end in a top hat and he'll just say "I told you we were using a business account"

I can't, guys. I can't do this anymore. I can't even try to make this work while I look for another job. I'm going to have a stroke at 30 if this keeps up.

Happy Birthday to me :toot:

A Frosty Witch fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Aug 25, 2015

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

I'm surprised this guy isn't all anti-Micro$oft and instead trying to get everyone on Google Docs or LibreOffice or something.

We did just that after the entire BSA debacle... Went with OpenOffice and then eventually LibreOffice.

It has actually worked out just fine. No one but a handful of people at our corp. office deal with complicated spreadsheets and complicated macros, so those people do still get MS Office. But everyone else uses LibreOffice. And for our uses ,it works perfectly fine. With the recently added abilities to deploy and control nearly every setting with GPO, it has become easy to manage as well.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I took a vacation day yesterday and didn't realize till just now I forgot to turn on my out-of-office notice, so everyone probably thinks I was a dick for ignoring them.

Oh well, today is also my birthday.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
26 million and counting decode errors on a single port in a QLogic fibre switch at a client site :allears:. That's probably why the machine in question can't even copy a 2 meg file to the SAN and Finder crashes out.

Time to get some new transceivers ordered!

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

wa27 posted:

I took a vacation day yesterday and didn't realize till just now I forgot to turn on my out-of-office notice, so everyone probably thinks I was a dick for ignoring them.

Oh well, today is also my birthday.

:hfive: birthday buddy

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Boogalo posted:

People who let keys dangle off the end of thumbdrives plugged into the front of desktops are monsters.

I've done this, but in my defense I have the nifty aluminum keychain USB that would take a literal hammer strike to bend. Never had an issue with any PCs, use it for all my utilities and have it set up as bootable in case I need to repair/reimage an OS.

Then again, I have maybe a half dozen keys and my car FOB on my chain, because I'm not a doofus that carries every single key from every home I've lived in on top of a million stupid other keychains that make the whole keyring weigh 5 pounds. THOSE people I can't loving stand.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Ozz81 posted:

I've done this, but in my defense I have the nifty aluminum keychain USB that would take a literal hammer strike to bend.
He wasn't suggesting the USB stick would break, he was saying the USB *port* would, from the weight of the chain hanging off it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

stevewm posted:

Also, on MS suite products, such as MS Office, they will split it up and ding you for 3x the retail value of every program.

Presumably the legal variant of "get hosed" applies here, though?

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

larchesdanrew posted:

This is his biggest thing. He acts like every dime this company spends is being ripped forcefully from his own pockets. He's one of those guys that wants to haggle or cheat their way into getting the best deal possible on anything. Nothing can be bought at face value; it always has to either come at a discount or with some added payola. He has no scruples about threatening or blackmailing for it either. He'll sit there for years waiting for someone to give him a $100 discount on a $25,000 machine that is desperately needed. The old GM ate it up because he did whatever it took to get the cheapest price for everything, but I'm a firm believer in that you get what you pay for. If I have to pay the price everyone else does for a legitimate product, but I get it in a reasonable amount of time and can work towards bettering this loving place at a pace quicker than a snail with a walker, then so be it.

I'm curious about something. You mentioned earlier you had some stuff that if an audit occurred it would be a major back lash. Technically if you just let the "supervisor" do what he wants to, would the backlash theoretically be enough to kill the company? I figured with as many corners being cut that you guys are in a constant budgeting crisis. Or is this merely because "IT is a sink hole, sink as little money into it as possible" sorta deal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Thanks Ants posted:

Presumably the legal variant of "get hosed" applies here, though?

That would be the reply given in the case of Arkell v. Pressdram.

• Locked thread