Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
QR Code to the scan of the printoff of the pdf of the etc etc.

I think this is the same one that got needlepointed? Anyway since we're taking credit I made this one:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I've got a friend at Microsoft that's trying to get me a job there, doing I guess what would be PFE. I think that kind of jumping around is the type of work that interests me the most. Coming back to the same client over and over again would be pretty great as well, because I'm a trap for esoteric configuration information.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Just convert everything to WUPHF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wfG8ngFvPk

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
My wife has learned to check the wifi switch and to reboot. All is well in the world.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Sometimes my cat walks on my Brother printer and presses buttons in such a way that it reprints the last job. Not so fun when the last job was a 30 page article my PhD student wife printed.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Cloud or Devops

Ninja

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

GreenNight posted:

Because they don't want you installing 2003 R2. They sure aren't going to make it easier.

You could install Server 2008, Server 2008 SP2, Server 2008 R2, Server 2008 R2 SP1, or Server 2012 instead.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

KweezNArt posted:

It does, but who bothers to read those things, anyway? Just click "OK". What's the worst that could happen?

Now if you run dcpromo from the command line it says you need to access it from the Server Manager. If you want to do join the domain from command line you have to do it in Powershell now.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Someone here ends every sentence like this.. Is that a period or an elipsis.. Because the sentences could mean something completely different depending on the punctuation..
Like, "Maybe it's a problem with the router.." OK, is it a problem with the router, or is there some subtext I'm missing here?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Not even sure why I bother anymore...

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

coyo7e posted:

^^^ Been there, done that, and yes, it was our problem. :(

It generally only pops up when you try to do something unusual during startup, if there was a bios password that halted the boot process every time what would the point be? Every user would have to have that password memorized. :(

This is a thing that exists, I don't know why you'd do it, but it exists. Maybe you really don't want users rebooting computers, so it's there to punish them when they do it?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
We cut all our own cables for everything, servers included, because 1) we have cheap student labor to do it and 2) we're pretty stupid.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
RE Optiplex 790 chat:
We had a lot of problems with ours as well. Nothing official from Dell, but from what I'd read online there were plenty of people with problems, but once they got replaced everything was fine. If look at the part number of a broken PSU and a replaced PSU, they're different, so I think Dell found the problem and fixed it going forward.

Though my experience specifically is with the Small Form Factor units, not sure if Minitower or Desktop or Ultra Small Form Factor had the same problems.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
gently caress Adobe products. 75% of my problems would go away if we just ordered them in a consistent way, but no, we can't even get that right. Who cares if standardizing on versions and vendors makes everything easier to support, leading to a better user experience? Just let everybody order whatever they want and we'll make it work because that's "Customer Service!"

Fridays are always the worst days, not really sure why.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

J posted:

Shopping for laptops is pissing me off. I've been tasked with buying a kickass laptop for a C level. It's gotta look nice for presentations, have "a big screen for watching movies on" and also have a touchscreen, on a ~$1200-$1500ish budget. I'm really not sure why it has to have a touchscreen, and the touchscreen requirement is throwing a goddamn monkey wrench into this process. Having a touchscreen steers everything into the sleeker, lighter, more portable (read: smaller screen) type of laptop which isn't what I want here. Every time I try a different manufacturer's laptop customizer I find myself unable to really put together the mix of options that I want. Typically it's not being able to put a goddamn SSD in the thing. Some of them seem to have some type of traditional hard drive + SSD cache option. Now I've never tried a laptop with an SSD cache like that - does it boot up fast like it would on a SSD? That's really what I care about.

I just want to be able to put together something awesome and be able to stand by it and really vouch for it, but the more I think about it the more I realize I've never actually worked with a laptop that I truly liked. Argh.

We got a couple of the Samusng Ativ Book 8 for spoiled department heads (and now they don't even want them :suicide:) for around $1100, which meets all your requirements except for SSD. A higher priced model might have an SSD.

Moey posted:

Not sure if this has been covered before, but does anyone know of a little opensource desktop or web app that I can use for password resets within a specific department? It has came to my attention that an entire department pretty much shares logons currently because they have a ton of "part time" people. They are a 24 hour department, while our helpdesk is only 8-5, M-F.

Managers/Supervisors will be in their own OU, with a nested OU for everyone else.

I would like to have a little app or webpage where managers/supervisors can go into and are able to see all the user accounts in the OU below them, with the ability to do resets/unlocks.

I'm pretty sure I could whip this up in Visual Studio, but if there is something out there already, it would be much easier.

Check out making a TaskPad. You could just set it up so they open it, it lists their users, they select one and click reset password. It's basically just a wrapper around MMC, and it doesn't seem to really be developed but as long as MMC doesn't change it will keep working.

Here's a couple links with some info about it:
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/2816.how-to-create-custom-mmc-and-add-taskpad.aspx
http://www.petri.co.il/create_taskpads_for_ad_operations.htm

I'm using one myself for basically the same thing you're doing and it's working there, so I can probably answer any questions you might have about it.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I'm taking off this Friday and next Monday and nobody needs to know why.

Also no tickets today. In fact all I've done today is changed a single line in a config file and pointed out things that were stupid in a meeting.

I think my sole purpose here is to just know things and point out stupid stuff when I see it.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I'm not sure why our aversion to anything central provides is too strong.

:byodame: No, I can't provide a link to the form on the central website, I have to download a copy locally.
:eng101: But if you link to the form on their site rather than ours, we'll always have a link to the latest version.
:byodame: But what if their site goes down?
:eng99: Then you can wait the 30 seconds to file your loving vacation slip until it comes back up.

It's like everybody thinks it's 1995 and everybody is terrible at even simple stuff except for us. Another conversation with my boss
:eng101: We should rely on snapshots to do short term file restores and only use tape for offsite recovery
:byodood: But what if the snapshots don't work properly?
:eng99: Or the tapes could not work properly...

Granted these people are all twice my age, but maybe I'm too trusting in technology? I've used snapshots for years on Windows and ZFS with no problems, as have millions of other people, so I have no problem recommending them, but because it didn't exist when my boss started (25 years ago) or did exist but was terrible, it's precarious technology that's going to break horrible and kill our pets if you look at it funny.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

kensei posted:

DNS is like the phone book, if there is no entry for "wc-roads.com" no one can get there. For us, best practice is having "www.wc-roads.com" be a CNAME to "wc-roads.com" and the root "wc-roads.com" be an A record so you only have to update 1 thing. They don't have an A record at all for "wc-roads.com" but they do have an A record for "www.wc-roads.com" so if you don't use www you don't get anything.

That's a govt job :lol:

For the longest time we had https://www.dept.school.edu and dept.school.edu. We also have all our computers with public IPs (because hooray research institution). For many years we set the MX records for all our IPs to be dept.school.edu instead of mail.dept.school.edu. So dept.school.edu was the record for the mail server, not the web serer. It wasn't until a couple of years ago that we finally changed that (and many years after I did an exhaustive search through DNS to find that no single MX record was pointing at dept.school.edu anymore).

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Who cares, the site isn't up anyway :D

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

rolleyes posted:

^^^
True, but that requires it to catch on first and thankfully this hasn't so far, apart from among the lazy. See below for why it's stupid.

I will admit to that sin on occasion (although I try not to do it) but I'm now also going to point out why people who bust out this argument to be all :smug: are also being daft.

"Google" gets used as a verb because the general population (or at least the technically literate) have come to the group decision that it has a specific meaning ("to google" something is to use a search engine to look for something on the internet). It's also used as generic term for conducting a search using any search engine, not just Google. This is why, as much as Google hates the idea because it threatens their trademark, the use of Google as a verb has some rationale behind it - it communicates meaning of a specific action.

What, exactly, does "to facebook" mean? To post inane poo poo about your day? To upload photos of your cat/dinner/baby? To cyber-stalk someone? To start a group to troll someone? To use the chat feature with someone? To ask a question? To... well, you get the idea.

It's not useful, it's not specific, it's certainly not generic mainly because of the first two things it's not, and it doesn't communicate any real meaning. You might as well say "to internet".

And that, my friend, is why it sounds retarded.

"To Facebook" has the exact same meaning as "To use Facebook."

E: If you're gonna be a crabby old man about language, be crabby about lend vs borrow.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Literally grinning like a crazy person here at my desk, RE blackswordca's new found spine and confidence.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I've had nothing but good experiences with our Dell techs (via Unisys) in the Minneapolis, MN area.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Agrikk posted:

Let me tell you about the time that my boss decided that his kid, my intern (nepotism? nah.), was qualified to "clean up" our public DNS records. At noon. On a Tuesday.

So I'm in the datacenter, doing some poo poo or another, when I start getting alerts form Solarwinds that the prod html string is unreachable. So I browse to it and our production web site is a landing page for our DNS Registrar.

Welp. It turns out that, go figure, our intern really didn't know what he was doing but his Dad, my boss, thought it would be a good way to getting him exposure to DNS, "but he wasn't going to touch anything in production".

Of course, getting the site turned back on was a cast iron bitch because we had to go through the registrar and blah blah blah. Yeah, our site was down for four hours during business hours, showing a parking page. Cut to customer panic as all of our paying customers though we'd shut down and made off with their money.

You left out the part where this was somehow your fault.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

JohnnyCanuck posted:

We've just been informed that because one of our devs had Dropbox installed on their laptop we're all losing local admin rights on our machines. Because THE CLOUD. It's a scary thing, this THE CLOUD. Our proprietary data might be out in THE CLOUD!

Nevermind that none of us are stupid enough to actually put proprietary information anywhere but company servers.
Nevermind that we're devs and consultants who actually need admin access to do our work.
Nevermind that we're a consulting company, and the consultants have long been told that so long as it doesn't affect work, go ahead and treat the company laptop like a personal machine. We're out on the road, so they're our lifelines back home, our entertainment, etc. Don't let clients see your games, and don't do anything illegal with 'em.

But it's :moreevil: THE CLOUD!!!! :ohdear:

Looks like I'm buying a personal laptop again.

And you don't even need local admin to install Dropbox!

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Anybody who calls Dell instead of chat is literally doing it wrong.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
gently caress that poo poo, "I have a computer with a dead X, I've swapped in a known good component from an identical model and it fixed the problem, please send a part and/or technician"

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
A LinkedIn invitation came in... To the helpdesk email. Is LinkedIn to blame for this stupidity or is it the people sending us these invites?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Yeah, because cuckold is a 100% safe word to be searching on a school computer as well.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
My work VPN sets my works' DNS server as the first DNS server, but doesn't route it through the VPN so the DNS server rejects the request. So every page takes about a minute to load as it waits for DNS to timeout. And it apparently only happens for me.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
The 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month is when WWI ended. Here in :911: we call it Veteran's Day and it's for all Veterans but I'd guess quite a bit of Europe still remembers WWI specifically.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

drukqs posted:

I need to implement something like this for a workstation which, no matter what my boss or I do, after 2-3 weeks will render itself completely unable to rejoin our domain. I won't go into those details because they make me cry inside. (Even after installing a completely different machine the problems persist. Other machines in the same room which are used for identical tasks do not have this issue.)

When you're emotionally read for this I'd love to hear the details on this problem.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Deep Freeze Standard is $45 a license.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
That is too much poo poo in the notification area on right.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

afflictionwisp posted:

At which point someone will realize that MS's Endpoint Protection is bundled with SCCM and make the decision to switch from Trend anyway.

SCCM 2012's relatively easy to stand up, wtf they dragging their feet about?

"PCI"

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Our 2008r2 to 2012 migration is "whenever we need to replace that thing spin it up with 2012 (now r2)"

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I had a meeting with a department head and 2 other IT staff to discuss a problem he's having. Resolution ended up being "you need to specifically figure out what's not working" instead of him just having a feeling something's not working right.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
User wants a laptop.
User wants a laptop from a vendor we don't support running an OS we don't support.
We agree that he can have it as long as he doesn't ask us for any help. As far as we're concerned it's not a computer.
Laptop arrives today, he picks it up.
And I probably don't have to finish the rest of the story. "I want Debian 7.2, I want Matlab installed, I want root access, I want a pony."

Yeah, good luck with any of that.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

ElGroucho posted:

I want to believe that you guys aren't going to do poo poo for him, because we would probably end up folding like a napkin and doing all that nonsense for him.

There's got to be justice somewhere.

There probably won't be. It was agreed to "in secret" between the user and my boss. My boss has no understanding of the value of time, so he won't see it as costing us anything to help him out.

It's come up a bunch of times and I've tried to explain it as simply as I can, If I'm doing pain in the rear end thing then that's less time to do other more valuable things, but he just don't grok it.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

stubblyhead posted:

I could have sworn you could get a bare-metal machine from Dell, but I can't find any way of doing that anymore.

You can get N series for some of the products, which ships without an OS. Though since volume licensing requires an OEM key you're screwed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Got a ticket Friday at 4:25 PM, for a new hire starting on the 6th of January. She'll need a brand new iMac with all sorts of software. We don't keep iMacs in stock, it will have to be ordered. Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, are holidays for all of us, so the next business day is Thursday the 26th. Because of the 5 day weekend, pretty much everybody got sent home early (our group specifically at 3 PM). The first of January is also a holiday.

So basically you want us to procure a new computer and all software in 6 business days, over the holiday. Also, the manager that sent the ticket is going to be "in and out of the office" over the next few weeks.

Yeah good luck with that. Of course my boss will cave and bend over backwards to make sure that everybody is happy. I feel like the only person that disrespects the IT staff more than our users is my manager.

• Locked thread