Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Got another ping on my resume today. Exactly what I was doing at my last job, but 20% more than my current job. I got excited for a minute, but then they told me who it was for.

City of Detroit :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Marcade posted:

Just so long as you don't agree to help simulate arrest/disarming procedures in the boardroom, you'll be fine probably.

I would be more worried about actually getting paid.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

I feel so honored, got my first honest to goodness non-ironic "do the needful ticket".

I never thought it would feel so good.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

And it's a busy day for me, it seems.

An IM came in (from my wife):

quote:

ugh
i got some bad page
a picture of a topless emma watson on teh toilet

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

SEKCobra posted:

Now here comes an unpopular opinion: Daisy chaining power strips isn't necessarily evil. If you are using a 16A rated power strip, that's literally more than your average section is going to be rated for, so there's no problem chaining these to infinity, because the fuse is going to die before the powerstrips do. Now I know electrics quality isn't the same in the US as it is here, but I imagine you guys use the same quality for IT, so really it's not an actual issue. It's untidy, shouldn't be a permanent solution, but it's by no means horrible. It doesn't change a thing if you make those amps available on more outlets or not, new wall outlets don't suddenly add capacity, they are literally convenient connectors added to the same circuit.

It's cute that you think people that do this are using high-quality stuff and not either A) Something they found buried in a closet of unknown source and/or vintage, or B) The absolute cheapest piece of poo poo they could find at WalMart on their lunch break.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Sickening posted:

My desktop guy came in wearing house shoes and red velvet pants. He also doesn't look or smell like he showered. We have a relaxed dress code, but drat dude.

I thought the walk of shame was supposed to end at home.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Dear HP, if you send me a replacement Hard Drive (or replacement anything, for that matter) and you want the old one back within 5 days like it says on the included sheet: Don't include a UPS ground label. Either send me a 2nd Day Air label, or ask for the old one within 10 days.

Yes, I realize that UPS Ground is *generally* 3 business days, but it's never a guarantee, and there's also the idea of having to take time to actually replace parts. Not everything is a SAS drive that's part of a RAID array and only takes 10 seconds to replace.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Negromancer posted:

Cause the user of master/slave terminology is inbuilt into mysql itself, and has been for years? A vendor cant really just change the code base, tho they could change how the reference it, but you would still be left with a interesting situation when you have to explain that to check the secondary server you run the command "show slave status;".

I remember a kerfuffle many years ago about the same terminology being used for IDE hard drives.

The problem is that the Master/Slave relationship is not inherently racist and goes back FAR beyond our country's history. Anyone who finds an appropriate usage of the Master/Slave relationship in technology inappropriate needs to grow the gently caress up.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

stevewm posted:

Frontier shitfest :words:

I have to wonder if residential support is even worse...

From everything I've heard through friends that are subjected to their awfulness, it's much worse.

AT&T's tech + Time Warner's Customer Service + Sprint's cellular backhaul = The Frontier Experience (tm), from what I've been able to gather.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Ahh corporate bureaucracy, never change.

Change 1 submitted yesterday: Shut down 1 Xen host, replace battery. Total affected VMs - 8.

Change 2 submitted today: Xen live-migration round-robin on 35 hosts affecting 300-ish VMs for OS, BIOS, iLO, and RAID firmware updates.

Change 1 - Waiting on approval, discussion in committee this afternoon.

Change 2 - Approved within 35 minutes, no discussion committee whatsoever.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Sirotan posted:

I....I still use Winamp.

:ohdear:

Well, it really does whip the llama's rear end.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Ahh India divisions, never change:

quote:

HI Team :

VDi very slow I am not able to do my work continually on my vd . kindly do the needfull !

bELOW ARE THE USER' DETAILS :

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

SubjectVerbObject posted:

Well the new smell is off the YOTJ and the warranty has expired. Their Service Delivery Excellence project turned out to be what I expected, metrics, metrics, metrics. They are starting to send out emails to improve the metric of the week, and will shortly be starting competition between teams, based on metrics, which is what destroyed my old job. The managers and teams that did best were the ones that fudged the metrics best. I'm flashing back to my first IT job in a call center where they had your average call time written on a balloon above your desk.

Fake edit. Just got my first metric review and I am crushing them. The old me would have been excited to be doing well. The new me can see the hamster wheel.

A freshly minted director tried implementing metrics back when I was at the help desk. Turns out, doctors and nurses prefer customer service and answers to questions and don't give a poo poo about average call times.

Her tenure was short and since her last name rhymed with "evil" well, I think you can guess the rest.

As for the other purpose of this thread:

HP's Support Portal is down for the second day running. Not fun when I have to use email/phone for everything.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Walter_Sobchak posted:

"Sorry boss, gotta go home. Don't wanna risk getting lung cancer."

Seriously. That poo poo needs a hazmat team.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

I think you've got that backwards. The real travesty is still having to push ie7 compatibility in late 2013.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Pudgygiant posted:

There are these god drat buzzwords that float around, so for a couple weeks roughly half the tickets my group gets will be poo poo like "Windows says my password is expired, I think it's a DHCP issue" (the current one) or "My laptop battery only lasts 20 minutes, must be group policies" (the last one). It's so frustrating to get 40 "I think it's DHCP" tickets a day when 39 of them are the wall jack is bad, or their password is expired, or they're just plain retarded. Doubly so because I have to SSH into a switch to get their MAC address then remote halfway across the country to the DHCP servers to see if they actually are getting a lease every. Single. Time.

Are you incapable of or disallowed from gently informing people that they're wrong when they so clearly are?

If I couldn't tell a user "no, it's definitely not a dhcp issue, Windows isn't taking the password you're entering", I wouldn't have made it a day in the help desk.

Taking the time to check if leases are going out when the user doesn't know/can't type the correct password is a colossal waste of effort and money.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Pudgygiant posted:

It's not the help desk- I'm a network engineer. These are getting elevated from the help desk :suicide:

That help desk needs to be burned to the ground with the manager inside.

That kind of lovely training is inexcusable.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Oh hi, HP. Hey, remember when we ordered 11 identical servers with dual dual-port 10GbE cards?

Yeah, we really didn't want two of them to show up with dual FC HBAs. And we really didn't want one of them to come in with its riser cards not even seated all the way and the cover of the server just mashed the gently caress down on top of them.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

I love it (no, seriously, I unironically love this part) when people choose not to proofread their emails for unintended innuendo.

When a female admin assistant sends out an email about Flu/Pneumonia shots with the content:

quote:

Just a reminder as we have several openings that need to be filled.

That just makes my day.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

ConfusedUs posted:

I cannot loving /wait/ for July 2015 so we can stop trying to fix people's lovely 2003 servers.

You say that like there won't be some business critical app that hasn't been updated since 1999 running on 2003 somewhere that will gently caress up royally on 8/1/15.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

A Reply All storm came in.

Senior VP sends out a message that we won't be auto archiving at the server anymore after X date. Something that's been coming for months.

One person sends as close to a legit reply all as possible with an important clarification question.

Queue hundreds of "don't reply all!" and "remove me from this list!" messages, all sent reply all, of course.

Multinational corporation with tens of thousands of employees.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

nexxai posted:

Why is the group that encompasses all employees configured to accept email from anyone but specific people authorized to address the entire company?

Good question. But I've been there less than 3 months and it's not my arena, so I get to kick back and laugh about it.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

UAC is a good thing, and software that doesn't comply with it is poo poo and opens you up for a huge number of attack vectors.

There are ways to make poo poo software work within UAC, and your company should be using them.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Ahh GoDaddy, don't ever change.

Don't stop doing poo poo so stupidly that people come running to me with problems ranging from "Hey, how can I do this?" to "gently caress this poo poo. What's a good host?"

My wallet appreciates it sincerely.

Honestly, only GoDaddy could gently caress something up so horribly like they have with their WordPress auto install script. The first time my friend tried to use it (she bought the domain and hosting before consulting me), she ended up with HTTP500 errors everywhere. So I removed it, then went into the file manager and removed the stuff that the install put there but the uninstaller didn't/couldn't remove.

Ran it again just to see where the issue was, and it's still going after 15 minutes. A full 5 minutes to create the database.

Only GoDaddy could take WordPress's "Famous 5 minute install" and turn it into such a shitfest.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Well, surprisingly enough, the GoDaddy install script for WordPress worked. It only took 6 hours to finish.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

"Please do the needful" should be engraved in an arc around the grenade.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

I'm hopeful for the day when attachments are removed from the email spec altogether (it never should have been implemented in the first place) and people get used to working with file drops like Dropbox or whatever homegrown tool the organization comes up with.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Walter_Sobchak posted:

This sounds like a special circle of hell.

Some places have requirements to keep all data in-house, so Dropbox or Box and the like aren't acceptable.

99% of the time, just having an SMB/CIFS share out there is enough. Easy to attach to for everyone, regardless of OS, and easy to link to.

We're working with Canonical on potentially bringing in OpenStack, which includes an S3-like object-storage, which I think would be an excellent replacement for email attachments.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

I'll go whole hog with CTO.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Entry level clerk with a BYOD phone attached to their account.

(The most demanding user in my entire organization is a administrative entry-level clerk who will barge into a meeting with half a dozen of the firm's partners while I'm giving a presentation to say that she can't send an email that isn't even related to work)

Just about everywhere I've worked that's one of those things you only do once.

Because the result is an almost instantaneous termination

I'm not sure I'd want to work somewhere that upper management tolerates bullshit like that.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

demonachizer posted:

They fired the dude one has to assume?

You forget what thread we're in.

He's the new CIO.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

mllaneza posted:

Thank god we have that set up.

My work VPN isn't split and it sucks so bad. Not only is it a pain that I can't access anything within my home network when I'm VPN'd in, but our terminator is in KC, MO, which means all of my traffic has an extra 800 miles to traverse through lovely routers.

When my motherboard comes back (hopefully by the end of the week), I'll be doing the VM with VPN for all of my work needs.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I just installed virtualbox, but it doesn't seem to support x64 Windows 7 and that's the only copy of windows I have around.

It most certainly does. You either don't have something set right, or your processor doesn't support VT-X/AMD-V.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

nexxai posted:

My (very unqualified) guess is that it was a cascading failure: one head crashed, creating enough magnetic dust to cause a buildup on another head (or two) crashing those heads, creating even more dust to kill the remaining head/platter combos.

As for the goo, that is hosed up.

Probably sealant that melted from the increased temperature caused by the friction.

I can almost imagine the sound. Oh god the sound must have been terrifying.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

KillHour posted:

A call came in today.

A school district was wondering why their AV suddenly stopped working. They were using the free version of Avast! for over 4000 seats.

:catstare:

But it's FREE!

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

If it's digital signage, I can't imagine they'd need full 1080p to make sure that the signs are "showing what they're supposed to show". VGA within appropriate distance should be enough for just about anything other than ridiculous detail.

If their requirements are actually for 1080p streaming video of every sign, then their whole idea for the signage is the wrong tool for the initial job.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

KillHour posted:

Nope. I just found out it's for a "chain restaurant" so they can make sure their menu videos are playing correctly and switching over for breakfast/lunch.

:downsgun:

Wow, if ever "using a nuclear weapon for a fly swatter" was an appropriate analogy.

Holy poo poo, the logistics behind trying to do this are just staggering. What about that store that's way out in the boonies and the only internet connection is cellular 3G for the credit card machines? I just can't even wrap my head around the thought processes that came to the conclusion that the initial idea was an even remotely valid solution.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

KillHour posted:

Give this man a prize.

So, I can't talk too much about it, but apparently the current idea is "Record at <1 FPS to an SD card on the camera." The problem? They don't want to shell out for a VMS that supports SD recording for that many cameras (Milestone Corporate), so they're going to log into each camera individually with a web browser, download the file (over 3G), and play it locally. :suicide:

Did I mention that this is for over 10,000 cameras?

I'm going to try to talk them into something sane.

What's funny about this project is that it exhibits all of the problems that plague projects all the time. Someone comes up with an idea that will work for n locations, provided n is less than say 20. Anywhere from 1 to 20 locations would be fine for the method they're thinking of (though a bit unwieldy at 20, but doable).

But then nobody thinks to do the math and extrapolate out the effort involved when n approaches 100, or 1,000, or in this case 10,000, and they can't understand why their fantastic idea is completely untenable because I tried it at my uncle's house with his camera last week and it worked just fine why can't we make this work on that scale?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

You can get partitioned clusters for a lot of reasons. It's possible that the one node dropping out was a symptom of something else, and that something else could also have been responsible for both nodes losing the other and thinking it was time to be primary.

I'm not familiar with DFS itself, but any kind of HA configuration has the potential for split brain/partitioning in the right circumstances. A 3-node cluster doesn't completely negate the possibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

In my AIX shop, we never used LPM (VMotion for the VMWare people, Live Migration for the Xen/KVM people) as an HA measure, even though it was explicitly spelled out as an option by IBM. Too much of our poo poo reacted too poorly to that kind of behavior.

So we set up PowerVM (NPIV is a MUST) so that we could LPM anything to anywhere, but kept our HA clusters split between the rooms.

The unexpected loss of a host created an HA failover which gave us ~5 minutes or less service downtime.

For maintenance, we would move all of the LPARs to an empty host (we always had at least one host spinning idle in either room, either by design or just not used yet) with no downtime and do whatever we needed to on the host.

• Locked thread