Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

less than three posted:

Or Isup.me is wrong. It says apple.com is down for me, but I can load it fine.

It was giving a lot of people 403 Forbidden site-wide. Maybe you got a cached version or they fixed it shortly after my post, though it would be very interesting to see a 403 for only some users on a public facing web site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

mattfl posted:

gently caress ICD10 codes, well, mostly gently caress Nextgen for dropping 3 different updates that they just found and needed to be installed before tonight for everything to work correctly. I've been working the past 3 nights to get all that poo poo installed and in fact I'm working right now installing some new Medical Necessity update which takes about 2 hours to run, and we have our database split into 2 time zones because it's so loving huge so I have to run it twice. I'm going on vacation starting monday for 2 weeks so I think my boss is just trying to get all the work out of me before I leave. Can't wait till we get rid of Nextgen once and for all.

And yet there's still no "disemboweled by sentient antelope" code. Someone really dropped the ball on this one.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

thebigcow posted:

Does anyone make a normal keyboard with keys that aren't mush but also don't wake the dead when you use them? I'd like to replace what we have at work but they don't make them like they used to :smith:

Logitech G710+ has browns with rubber o-rings that significantly dampen the sound.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Surely iron-clad. No lawyer can penetrate that one.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Thanks Ants posted:

Some of our clients received requests like that and looked to us for a technical solution.

Erm, it's an email that passes all SPF/DKIM checks, isn't spoofing your own domain, seems to know a lot about your organisational structure and is requesting a transfer of funds. What technical solution are you expected to prevent those sorts of messages reaching you? Maybe pick up the phone before just sending funds to someone to double-check.

Technical solution is an intranet application with line manager authorization signoffs.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

I hope this is your response to someone asking if it's any work to do a thing.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

iajanus posted:

In unrelated news

Why the gently caress do clients call describing a problem at someone's machine and when I start asking questions immediately respond "Oh I'm not at his PC at the moment" and then take 5 minutes to go there (or not be able to because they're using it). How the gently caress do they think I'm going to fix the problem?

They can now tell their bosses that they opened the issue up with support and blame you for any delays of course.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

flosofl posted:

Please tell me someone will get fired for this. Or reprimanded in *any* way.

If you punish them for that, in the future no one will let you know but stuff will still go missing.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

larchesdanrew posted:

Eh, I'm not getting into it. The topic has been beaten to death by me in this thread on multiple occasions. Bottom line is, yes, wages are super low, but the cost of living is almost nonexistent, so $30k a year can get you a lot.

As a engineering intern in the 90's in a town in Iowa with less than 30k people and a hour highway drive to the next biggest place... I made more than $11.20/hr

You can get by on it just fine in those areas, but it's still being underpaid for skilled labor.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

iajanus posted:

Hilariously, after poking around a bit we may have an old Confluence setup that isn't being used for anything

e: this company wonders why it's leaking money :v:

You mean like a 20TB/day Splunk annual license that's not gone over 15% utilization in the last year?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

SubjectVerbObject posted:

How is Splunk? I do telecom, not sysadmin, but I had a drunken conversation with someone while on vacation who though highly of it. Telecom stuff loves to generate logs on individual systems, so an aggregator of some sort would be awesome.

Splunk is pretty good, but expensive both for the license and to pay for the hardware to run it on. Skimping on hardware infrastructure to support your license results in severe service slowdowns.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Powered Descent posted:

You're looking at it upside down, it's actually CH.

Yep, stands for Columbia House, a famous CD distributor, of which this is of course a prime example.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

SEKCobra posted:

No one would ever not reply with "It worked fine when I tried it"

What time was that? I'll need to compare the logs to troubleshoot (even if there are no logs).

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

SEKCobra posted:

At some point you go in the database and do the impossible.

sp_configure 'allow updates to system tables', 1
go

begin tran
truncate table it_tickets
truncate table it_tickets_history
truncate table users
truncate table syslogins
truncate table sysloginroles
truncate table syssrvroles
go
commit tran
go

WHILE 1 == 1 LOOP
PRINT "You'll never guess where I hid the backups"
END LOOP ;
go

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Khisanth Magus posted:

We have a monthly "town hall" meeting which is pure dog and pony show to make the CTO feel important. They started kind of promising, supposedly to be about being transparent about things going on and decisions being made and considered, which lasted for all of one meeting, after which they have all been feel good "congrats to this team or that team on whatever they did recently" wastes of time.

I like my company's transparency model which is comprised of similar attaboys, vague promises, and *totally regretful* "we can't talk about that yet" statements. It makes it easy to duck out every town hall and ask someone for the 10 second overview later (usually "no, they didn't really say anything").

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

The problem with that is then they will never have a reason to promote me.

Do you really want to put your faith in them ever doing that at this point?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Johnny Aztec posted:

loving TYOOL 2017 and SMS is still goddamn restricted.

The problem is its so cheap in reality, if it wasn't restricted phones would be getting spammed to oblivion I'd imagine.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Javid posted:

I was really excited to be getting a phone with a fingerprint reader until I actually got it and found out it forces you to put in a code every so often regardless, thus defeating the time-saving purpose of having a fingerprint reader in a spot you'd normally grab the thing. Way to almost implement a good idea!

This limits access in case the thief goes with the expedient of cutting off your finger. Defense in depth and all that.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Deleted items go away when you close outlook for me.

Who closes outlook outside of mandated or voluntary restarts though?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Judge Schnoopy posted:

If there are enough customer impacting tickets open to backlog non impacting tickets for three years, something is seriously wrong with whatever you're supporting.

If product owners are given too much power (and they suck), they can force enough new feature work that even some customer impact work is de-prioritized.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

In situations like this my boss will toss out the phrase "you need to use common sense" which roughly translates to "you need to be psychic"

You mean you didn't pick up on it from the many planning meetings you weren't invited to?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

AlexDeGruven posted:

The guy who directed him to do DNS maintenance with domain admin creds without over-the-shoulder supervision for at least the first time? Promoted.

You've got to admire the skill inherent in coming out of a poo poo sewer smelling sweet on the other side.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

AlexDeGruven posted:

Yeah, it's called "buddies with the VP"

Clearly he is a man of vision wasted in the trenches!

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

TheFluff posted:

I don’t understand why businesses keep issuing laptops to everyone. Don’t they know you need a workstation to do real work? I mean, it’s even in the name.

Seriously though, laptops that you can’t take home with you and you have to lock them up before you leave? Why? Why can’t we just have actual offices with actual rooms and desktop computers and a spot that’s actually yours, instead of this hellscape of open floor plans with no fixed seating and always bringing work with you wherever you go :(

There are a good few laptops that can act as perfectly fine workstations with 16-32GB RAM and good processors, but not being able to take them home and not having fixed locations sounds like you've got some sadistic execs drinking the bargain basement brand of kool-aid. It's the sign of a lovely company, time to :yotj:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I want 16-32gb and a good processor. None of this i7* crap.

*i7 may be slower in real world performance than a 3 generation older i3.

http://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/dell-laptops-and-notebooks/new-precision-7520/spd/precision-15-7520-laptop/xctop752015_us_sapp_4

• Locked thread