Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Inspector_71 posted:

What the gently caress do people do all day in non-IT fields? How do so many people go literally weeks without realizing that at least one folder on the server that they apparently desperately need has been missing?

:psyduck:

I had someone call in reporting that a folder/share on the fileserver had been missing for MONTHS, I don't even want to state what he told me over the phone when I wanted to confirm the email...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
"Hey dilbert remember that super complex vCloud and view environment you built?"
yeah!
"Well apparently VMware has a deployable package they made which basically does the same thing that requires 1/100th of the stuff you did"

I mean it's a bit frustrating but at the same time it is kinda cool I came so close to VMware's setup for the academy classes.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
"Hey dilbet, mind teaching me Citrix/Hyper-V/Storage"
I can not wait till I set up this vCloud poo poo for doing automated labs n poo poo.

E: Also I need a new avatar just realized that more than half the people who like this show are furfags, and don't care about the actual show.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Aug 17, 2013

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Daylen Drazzi posted:

I'm not really a beer guy, but I did pick me up some Angry Orchard Hard Cider after trying some at the pub last week. Not bad.

JK scrumpies is a great hard cider, try some "crispin: the saint" as well, a bit pricy but it's at about 7% ABV

Also what is it with peoples fixation on Fibre Channel in EVERY environment?

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Aug 17, 2013

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Experto Crede posted:

Can someone recommend a polite way to tell a client on the phone that, no, they don't need to write out the whole ticket whilst on the phone with me?

"To make sure the issue is properly resolved in a timely manner please submit it in a ticket, this way the (team) will be able to resolve it more efficiently"

If asked my you can't do it BS and say some poo poo like "user submitted tickets go to the whole team to works on it faster, if I make it, only I can work on it"

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Great the vAPP for my ICM class decides out of the blue it is just going to stop passing port 80 traffic, and class starts Thursday, well good thing I have some scipts.

Also gently caress pfsense

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
This that piss me off? My own good faith in other people, and thinking "Oh yeah I am sure they did this important thing during setup"

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

ookiimarukochan posted:

Not a CV that popped into my in-box, but I figure this image was too good to leave stuck in "PYF Awkward, Ugly, and Gross"

I hate people like this, this is why I get drunk and dress up as Dan from Dan vs. and yell at people at con's. It's funny because they think I am in character.

But for actual content, Why do people feel the need to over complicate network designs? I still have no idea of why people shove or reconfigure things making stuff way more complex than needed.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Aug 22, 2013

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
I can't loving believe the VMware class I am co-instructor for did not have computers ready for students to log into, at 4:30 I walk in and see two people working under desks somewhat frantically trying to put computers hooked up.

"Heh well the ole interns were supose't do this but you know interns!"

No I don't, I do know there are two kinds of people though people who want to work and people who don't.

Oh well the class was mainly a success got some new 2x16(possibly 4x16) core HP, 512GB ram, w/ 4 128GB ssd's, and 8 network interfaces. So far way overkill but happy for it. Sadly can't touch them till winter, anyone got a guess how fast you can do a full vCloud+view+ICM+VCAP deploy? Let's find out

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Aug 23, 2013

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
"No one in their right mind should virtualize their monitoring for their environment"

Holy poo poo I never thought I could nerd rage this hard about something. This comes from one of the people ranking above me....

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

feld posted:

I'm confused. Are for or against monitoring virtualization? Because we're definitely against -- when your VM cluster goes down it'd be nice if, you know, your monitoring could tell you.

Totally for it, HA will roll it over shortly and give you a bunch of events, or use FT. Or have the monitoring system in your PROD cluster and vCenter alerting in your management cluster.

Unless your whole cluster melts down IE every host goes, and you don't have a management cluster you are boned either way

feld posted:

and databases.

and any sensitive information you don't want stolen through a side-channel attack from another compromised VM on the same host.

Uhh what? You should still be segmenting networks and what not to ensure data security on the network; 1 VM can't 'attack' another without compromising the underlying Hypervisor. But all modern databases support Virtual environments.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Aug 23, 2013

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Thank you for telling me I need to come in at the crack of dawn to help with X and then proceed to spend an hour talking about your weekend.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Sickening posted:

Jesus christ, there are windows admins out there that still don't know about custom views in the event viewer? Do people still click around the default views to find issues?

I think my coworker just cried when I showed him that this thing exists.

There are still windows admins that don't know DCpromo, and promoting domain controllers.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
meh

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
I love it when I get a customer down issue 15 minutes after I woke up...

Not sure who I am more mad at, the Architect who ran LZ Thick disks and pushed the datastore to <10% free disk space and didn't set a memory reservation equal to the ram to not have a .vswp file it couldn provide space for. Or the fact I storage vMotioned to fix it and realized afterwards I could have done a 30 seconds to get them rolling...

Or the complete miscommunication of error messages and issue.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Aug 30, 2013

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

The Third Man posted:

Students are back on campus and asking me about Windows 8. gently caress everything.

Install this http://www.classicshell.net/

and be done, like 90% of people I talk to who have windows 8 issues are resolved by that

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
A ticket went out!

"I'm sorry I have't done this in a really long time"

Thanks person on the support line for making me feel better about what you are doing.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Wibla posted:

The boss already admitted that internal IT had been "treated like a stepchild" for the last year :ohdear:

Every time I hear that I always am prepared to walk into an environment where someone who didn't want to ask for money used spiceworks forum support to keep poo poo going.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
"Users unable to hit auto discover after o356 migration"
So after a bunch of people looking at FW rules for some reason, I get asked what it might be.

Does the client have the proper DNS PTR's, Forwarders and Reverse lookup?

Guess what they don't have that should be there!

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
:) Hey Dilbert Mind finishing up this deployment?
:v: Sure, what needs to be done?
:) nothing major just a few programs installed and a few patches run

Lo and behold I come to find out no one knows where the dependencies are, the database servers, or has ever installed this software before

:) oh yeah could you do the documentation on how to install something you have never done? oh BTW im going to go do something else. What am I doing? Who knows???

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Sep 5, 2013

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
gently caress Tapes...

That is all.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
gently caress SQL EXPRESS WHY DO PEOPLE USE IT IN PRODUCTION?

"wow performance sucks!" NO poo poo
"Wow it keeps crashing!" NO poo poo

Not to mention people always forget 2008r2 has a 10GB limit in DB size. Buy the full version, what is 800 dollars to a +90k environment?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

blackswordca posted:

You have a point, I am far to nice for my own good.

For the short term ill get the domain renewed and throw the site into maintenance mode until I can get a parking page up.

If you renew it they will think you did it to extend you "volunteering" brigade. Either let it expire or forward them a bill saying "it will be X to renew your domain, if you do not pay it will expire at XX/XX/XXXX"

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

blackswordca posted:

True, but if i don't renew the domain expires on Saturday

How is that your problem? Does the electric company foot the bill if you don't pay your bill? Send them a bill for your work and say you must have payments(for renewal+months of hosting) by CoB Thursday to ensure the domain stays active.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Number19 posted:

Sell it to a domain squatter and let them sort it out.

"Sorry the person who bought your domain only deals in bitcoins"

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Varkk posted:

Either that or
Sales Rep says it needs SQL server and your options are: 1) SQL express, no additional costs but it does have some limitations or 2) SQL server which costs $$$.
Management thinking about this quarter's bonus elects for the cheaper option and instructs technicians "To just make it work" with no regard for how the limits will impact on what they are doing.

Pretty much this, 1 SQL express is running Symantec's DB, vCenter's DB, SolarWinds, and some other management apps. Guess what happened to the box when Symantec kicked off backups, vCenter downloaded some patches, and wanted to log some transactions, with solarwinds monitoring a full SAP+Dev+Other environment?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
:v: Hey Dilbert do you know of any way to backup a Red Hat 2.1 AS server?

:stare:

I am scared to ask because I want to know if in the 10 years it has been running if it has ever been backed up.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Moey posted:

P2V and frisbee the old rear end hardware into a river?

Yeah what I am going to end up doing, P2V'ing as vmware still supports it, and backing up at the VM level. Now just the hard part "battling the 'virtualization is evil'

I just find it funny because there are some backula/rync packages still out there for it.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

evol262 posted:

You should rsync instead of dd anyway.

Pretty the alternative I gave if we don't P2V, but I don't think it will float because it doesn't have the words "enterprise edition" next to it.

It reminds me of my rants with people over FC and IP based storage.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Awesome both idea's shot down for backing up a +10 year old RH server, why not just google for random software and buy buy buy!

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

EuphrosyneD posted:

Dilbert, what's wrong with bog-standard dump(8) piped into a gzipped tarball or something?

Alternatively, see if you can get Amanda up and running (though with its age it might be hard)

Edit: Comedy option, DD the whole drat disk or disks into an image onto your SAN or something.

The other engineer apparently doesn't know any linux and brought up "well what if you get hit by a bus?" Personally I have no problems using the tools in linux to help the server work better but the place I work is 98% versed windows admins with a touch of linux.

Propped the P2V to the client, "Whoa we can do that?!" guess what the engineer is asking for my support on now... I think the original problem was that someone had a knowledge gap, and that someone didn't want to ask for help.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Sep 12, 2013

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Can't say I am a fan of drinking with work related people, it usually ends badly...

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

tomapot posted:

You mean like that one Xmas party that resulted one of the techs dancing to Dancing Queen all by himself then later on getting groped by his manager?

Edit: his manager was a guy, not that there is anything wrong with that except it wasn't consensual

No like "no one wants to talk about computers or work" so it usually ends up with me talking aloud or drawing idea's down or browsing something computer or cartoon related stuff. I mean I'll make small talk and be sociable but you can only small talk before so long were it's like can we please get back to talking about technology?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Baby Town Frolics posted:

A ticket was called in by me to facilities. Both toilets are overflowing because idiots can't properly use a toilet.

We have a building of over 100 people, mostly men with only two stalls and a urinal for the men. There is always piss water on the floor.

Times like this I want to investigate who keeps doing this and kick their asses.

Are these the same people who can't walk up 1 flight of stairs?

Sab669 posted:

The guys in my office are always trying to get together after work, but yea, absolutely nothing to talk about with them. It's terrible, and then I get "flak" for not going. Cool dudes to work with, but I don't want to spend even more of my time with them. They're all sports and own houses and have kids. Young, single, heavy gamer. Zero common ground unless we're talking current events or politics.

The bad part comes in where I get bored and sit at a table drinking talking aloud about design idea's or just BS brainstorming.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Sep 13, 2013

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Update on that Red Hat 2.1 Box from a while back

:v: "Yeah dilbert the P2V didn't work"
:) "did you cold clone it like I said"
:v: "No I used the latest one which is hot only, failed with some odd error when I tried to bring it up"
:) yeah it's running a DB service which is why I said to cold clone
:v: I am going to send a ticket off to vmware instead

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Oh wait nvm

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Sep 15, 2013

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

chutwig posted:

DON'T DO ANYTHING THAT CAUSES DOWNTIME EVER

Down time for the device is fine as we have regular maintenance windows with the customer anyway. Not to mention this Server isn't being backed up 'correctly', and is on +8 year old hardware. The benefits gained with a small amount of downtime far outweighs running it at it's current state.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

skipdogg posted:

Compare these two scenarios and see if you can tell which one I think is too much.

Scenario 1:

Hey boss, things look to be slow this week and I have quite a bit of PTO built up, do you care if I take Thursday off for a mental health day? <Goes home and plays a video game he rented at redbox that came out 2 months ago>

Scenario 2:

Hey boss, I know there's a lot going on lately but GTA5 comes out tomorrow and I really need the day off. If I'm not online at exactly 12:01AM tonight murdering pimps and prostitutes my life will literally have no joy in it and my internet friends will thing I'm not cool anymore.

Now maybe I'm loving mental or something, but Scenario 1 I have no issue with, Scenario 2 is what I would call "A Bit Much". Not sure how else to explain it.

Senario 2 is a bit of a strawman, but as long as proper notice and has adequate time saved, so what?

I mean really the only time I state a reason if I take PTO is for if it's a "Don't call me unless X is burning"

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Sep 16, 2013

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Last week
Me - :v: Okay client you are all finished!
:) Thanks all done!

-today-
:) Are you finished yet this is affecting productivity!!!

IF we both agree $tasks$ are finished how and we both say it is finished via email; how do you think it is not finished?

:psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

TWBalls posted:

Since you have it in email, I'd have just replied with that email and CC the boss to CYA.

That's what I did. So another email came in.

Client: Oh no this wasn't about Dilbert's work on my issue (even though I sent the email chain with the message for some reason) He did great it was about %random people not dilbert% I was talking about

Me: :suicide:

I have no words for this.

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Solely because I'm a consultant and need to cover my rear end at all times:

1. Have a wrap-up meeting. "Here's what I did and oh look your thing is fixed/here's your new functionality/here's your shiny new thing!"
2. Get a physical sign-off on the work, make the client make a copy for themselves. Make pdfs of that copy. Email them to everyone, everywhere.
3. Laugh when the client claims you didn't finish the project.

Oh yeah totally I am a big fan of making a paper trail on what I can for reasons like these.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Sep 17, 2013

• Locked thread