Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

ratbert90 posted:

And this is why I boot into DOS to this day to still flash a bios. :smug:

I once had the exact same failure on an Asus board, which showed me that this rule is the best rule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Lum posted:

giant purple dildo of doom

So... Day of the Tentacle?

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard

Last_Taste posted:

As a lurker to this thread, I have a question.

As a non IT person, is it rude to try to give the helpdesk/IT support info related to a potential fix for a problem I have with my PC?

I can't install a microsoft program I need to work with 2 outside agencies. It hangs up trying to install "C++2008..." and stops. I goggled the issue, and found the problem in the MS support forums. Followed the instructions, and I get another error. Turns out that the issue is likely because I use another program that cases some memory usage issues. I use this specific software, and this is a known issue. I tracked down this solution.
If anybody is interested, it can be found here:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com...ystem-resources

The solution involved making a change within the registry. I would make the change myself, but registry stuff is one area I try to avoid.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control
Key: RegistrySizeLimit
Type: REG_DWORD
Value: 0xffffff (4294967295)

Is it rude to give this (plus the other MS forum info) to try to speed up the fix? It is frustrating because the 1st level of IT here is student help, and it may take a while to get the issue resolved.

Just my 2p and I'm not sure if the thread flies a bit too fast for it to be worth commenting on by now, but I think this isn't rude at all. In fact you sound like the perfect user to me: someone who genuinely knows what he's doing, provides sources when presenting possible solutions, and despite probably knowing better than some of the IT staff, still respects them and awaits permission before fiddling.

It's only really rude if you don't know what you're doing, and barge in with something like "I'm pretty sure it's my printer, buy me a new printer"

skipdogg posted:

I don't know. I'm in my 30's now and scheduling vacation time around a video game release seems to be bluntly honest, loving childish. Calling out of work sick for it is unfathomable.

Given what people in their 30s get up to these days and how horrifically childish you'd probably find those things (I don't, I think we're in a modern world and people can enjoy what they drat well please as long as it doesn't hurt others), be glad it's video games.

To me, the point where it becomes any kind of problem or childish is if the boss says "no you can't take time off we have x planned and need you here", and you start whining that you really needed to be camping outside the game shop for the next Final Fantasy. Or if you take sick leave for it, which is just basically fraud. I mean yeah, if you have dependents and risk getting yourself fired for a video game, I think you can rightfully consider that childish and irresponsible.

Frankly regardless of the reason that means you didn't plan ahead and book the time early enough anyway. If you booked it a few weeks in advance then fair enough, I think you can (again regardless of why), rightfully turn around and complain that they should've planned better based on your leave that they knew about 3-4 weeks ago. I don't care if I'm doing something "childish" if I told you about it several weeks ago and gave you ample time to plan things around my absence.

From a business point of view, as long as the person is professional at work, gives appropriate notice for time off and comes back happy and refreshed and doesn't sit at their desk playing WoW and dressing up as their favourite character.. what they get up to in their free time is absolutely none of the company's business. Much like as long as the person doesn't actually neglect their kids or harm others etc, it's no one else's either.

Sickening posted:

Bless all of you who take so much consideration of whats going on at work before you plan your vacation. Its always a bad time it seems to go on vacation.

I on the other hand plan my vacation around all the fun things I can do, job be damned. It has seemed to work really well for me so far.

Pretty much my point of view. In a well run company, it's always a bad time, as they're always busy. The key is giving appropriate notice and as to the reason for it, who cares.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

GargleBlaster posted:

Pretty much my point of view. In a well run company, it's always a bad time, as they're always busy. The key is giving appropriate notice and as to the reason for it, who cares.

In a well run company it should never, excluding well planned major events (software launch, infrastructure upgrade etc) be so busy that it's a bad time. People should know that you're gone but it shouldn't be a burden on them.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Apparently I cant have any days off because as person with highest seniority I am the only one out of 4 who can keep things running. When I said I trust the next in line coworker, bossman said 'Youre just saying that to get your days off'. No fick you he is the only other capable person on my team the 2 guys working externally atm are way worse...

oTHi
Feb 28, 2011

This post is brought to you by Molten Boron.
Nobody doesn't like Molten Boron!.
Lipstick Apathy
I would love to take some time off, but I'm scared of coming back to a burning heap where my servers once stood. I'm the only person who has the troubleshooting skills to fix most of the issues, and I'm the only one with sufficient access to fix others (I can't trust anyone else with it. It just wouldn't end well). I try to teach others how to fix bits and pieces, but the troubleshooting skills are really hard to pass on..

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Last week
Me - :v: Okay client you are all finished!
:) Thanks all done!

-today-
:) Are you finished yet this is affecting productivity!!!

IF we both agree $tasks$ are finished how and we both say it is finished via email; how do you think it is not finished?

:psyduck:

Solely because I'm a consultant and need to cover my rear end at all times:

1. Have a wrap-up meeting. "Here's what I did and oh look your thing is fixed/here's your new functionality/here's your shiny new thing!"
2. Get a physical sign-off on the work, make the client make a copy for themselves. Make pdfs of that copy. Email them to everyone, everywhere.
3. Laugh when the client claims you didn't finish the project.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

SEKCobra posted:

Apparently I cant have any days off because as person with highest seniority I am the only one out of 4 who can keep things running. When I said I trust the next in line coworker, bossman said 'Youre just saying that to get your days off'. No fick you he is the only other capable person on my team the 2 guys working externally atm are way worse...

How is this your problem? Take your time off or find a new job.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!
Take your PTO and use it for whatever you'd like.

That said, as a new dad I have no idea how anybody with (little) kids would have the energy or frame of mind to do anything but try to catch up on sleep or clean up the house after weeks of neglect due to exhaustion. The original scenario noted that the guy had kids at home and that blows my mind. I'm constantly run down anymore.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Crowley posted:

I learned about this from playing Zombies Ate My Neighbors as a kid, after doing game testing for a day with Konami - as Zombies Ate My Neighbors had a Day of the Tentacle level.

ITIL wise, I have no desire to be in process management, as the entirety of what that represents is frustration. Even though my job title is basically availability/capacity process owner. Who wants to manage a process nobody else is willing to follow as it has not ever been made a formal/official/required process?

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
"Don't have kids" is my grumpy response. There's always someone willing to :)

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

GargleBlaster posted:

"Don't have kids" is my grumpy response. There's always someone willing to :)

No kids, one cat, I'm working from home, posting poo poo on the forums. Cat is asleep on my GFs chair not bothering me.

Pissing me off currently: Job on hold because a customer can't arrange for me to remote access a desktop PC and their IT people never return my calls. I might just move my email client to the second monitor and play bloody Saints Row IV at this rate.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

notwithoutmyanus posted:

I learned about this from playing Zombies Ate My Neighbors as a kid, after doing game testing for a day with Konami - as Zombies Ate My Neighbors had a Day of the Tentacle level.

I don't know Zombies Ate My Neighbors, but that's actually pretty funny since you could start a computer in DotT and play it's predecessor "Maniac Mansion" there.

drat, DotT came out in '93?! I feel old(er). :(

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Zombies Ate My Neighbors owned but I never beat that drat game.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Crowley posted:

No, that would be the Purple Tentacle bat (it's about as obvious a homage as they could possibly do without having flashing screen on the text when you pick that skin / select the weapon)

Current job I work from home pretty much every day, but I did once have a job where I was told to not come into the office for two weeks as I had been out of the country and they were worried about swine flu (this was me going home to the UK while working in Japan) - total cases in the UK at that point? 2, in the other end of the country. Total cases in Japan? About 600, clustered where we were!

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

TWBalls posted:

Since you have it in email, I'd have just replied with that email and CC the boss to CYA.

That's what I did. So another email came in.

Client: Oh no this wasn't about Dilbert's work on my issue (even though I sent the email chain with the message for some reason) He did great it was about %random people not dilbert% I was talking about

Me: :suicide:

I have no words for this.

JohnnyCanuck posted:

1. Have a wrap-up meeting. "Here's what I did and oh look your thing is fixed/here's your new functionality/here's your shiny new thing!"
2. Get a physical sign-off on the work, make the client make a copy for themselves. Make pdfs of that copy. Email them to everyone, everywhere.

Oh yeah totally I am a big fan of making a paper trail on what I can for reasons like these.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Sep 17, 2013

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
Working from home due to a cough crew checking in. I was banished from the office until I feel better

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
An email came in...

quote:

We are going to need to update the firmware on all our servers which will require downtime. I would like to leverage our third Saturday of the month Maintenance period to reboot and failover the clusters to implement the software. I expect the maintenance to be from 7AM to 8PM.

These firmware updates are needed to allow other projects to be completed. It is mandatory that you both be there to help ensuring that these updates are a success and will be working with both of you these week to ensure that the prep work is completed.

Please make the necessary arrangements to account for your attendance this Saturday.

First I ever heard of that we have a maintenance window on Saturdays.

Good thing we don't have to worry about comp time or any other recognition of the fact that a 13-hour day is happening, and starting at an hour which means mass transit isn't an option!

I wish I'd worn a yarmulke to the interview here and told them I don't sysadmin on shomer shabbos.

How does one get their boss to start giving comp time? I'm guessing YOTJ but YOTJ can't happen fast enough over here.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

"I have a prior arrangement and will not be available between those hours."

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

"I have a prior arrangement and will not be available between those hours."

Not to pull a Corvettefisher but while I should have done that, chances are I'd be written up for being unavailable.

If they wouldn't bring up guys who were shomer shabbos to try to poke holes in my story I would start thinking about claiming that.

I'm just going to have to say nothing and give the Resumetointerviews guy some time and money to clean up my cover letter.

I could go on about our part of IT being the red-headed stepchild but we all know that this is not news. (Is it still hoping for pods if we dream of a sysadmin department that can say no?)

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

JohnnyCanuck posted:

A thousand times this. I am a consultant with long-term contracts and I will not turn over the keys until I get in writing that the project is completed to the client's satisfaction. It has saved my rear end several times when my point of contact has flat-out lied to their higher-ups about project completion.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
I would say that 4 days notice is not enough time to plan - But I'm not sure of your situation. Can't you say you've already booked to go somewhere, booked a hotel etc?

What does your contract say?

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

SEKCobra posted:

Time to have some 'sick' days then.

Seriously, your PTO was agreed upon in your contract when you first signed up, and they can't just tell you that you can't take it; they would be in breach of contract for not providing you the benefits and compensation that they promised for the service you provide.

If they seriously can't cope without you to the point where you can't take a single day off they are:

a). Seriously incompetent managers and setting themselves up to fail.
b). Need to look into cross training your colleagues to the point where they can easily take over your responsibilities, at least on a temporary basis.
c). Apparently shown that they can't afford to fire you for taking 'sick' days anyway.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

SEKCobra posted:

"Alright, where's my raise?"

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Ursine Asylum posted:

"Alright, where's my raise?"

Yeah, if I was going to put up with that I would probably demand that all my PTO get paid out immediately with a substantial bonus.

It does suck to be in a situation where you can't play hardball, either because your coworkers let people walk all over them or the expectation that you'll do it is already there.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Argh! Changed a location from Frontier to Comcast, only for Comcast to turn out even worse for reliability than Frontier!

I get the impression from the techs that the contractor they hired to run the 1,500ft+ line to the store apparently botched the entire thing. It was strung to the wrong poles, many connections where not crimped properly, etc.. Its amazing it even worked at all.

Wished I had known this before I ported everything over...

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I'm not sure why our aversion to anything central provides is too strong.

:byodame: No, I can't provide a link to the form on the central website, I have to download a copy locally.
:eng101: But if you link to the form on their site rather than ours, we'll always have a link to the latest version.
:byodame: But what if their site goes down?
:eng99: Then you can wait the 30 seconds to file your loving vacation slip until it comes back up.

It's like everybody thinks it's 1995 and everybody is terrible at even simple stuff except for us. Another conversation with my boss
:eng101: We should rely on snapshots to do short term file restores and only use tape for offsite recovery
:byodood: But what if the snapshots don't work properly?
:eng99: Or the tapes could not work properly...

Granted these people are all twice my age, but maybe I'm too trusting in technology? I've used snapshots for years on Windows and ZFS with no problems, as have millions of other people, so I have no problem recommending them, but because it didn't exist when my boss started (25 years ago) or did exist but was terrible, it's precarious technology that's going to break horrible and kill our pets if you look at it funny.

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!
So...

Yeah. Apparently Kaseya doesn't like it when you try to spawn another cmd.exe from its remote command line. Also it's swearing at me in Japanese. :stare:

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
It's mojibake if it makes you feel any better.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

FISHMANPET posted:

It's like everybody thinks it's 1995 and everybody is terrible at even simple stuff except for us. Another conversation with my boss
:eng101: We should rely on snapshots to do short term file restores and only use tape for offsite recovery
:byodood: But what if the snapshots don't work properly?
:eng99: Or the tapes could not work properly...

Granted these people are all twice my age, but maybe I'm too trusting in technology? I've used snapshots for years on Windows and ZFS with no problems, as have millions of other people, so I have no problem recommending them, but because it didn't exist when my boss started (25 years ago) or did exist but was terrible, it's precarious technology that's going to break horrible and kill our pets if you look at it funny.

I don't know much about storage and backup stuff, but I'm hoping you're not recommending VM snapshots cause that would not be a good idea.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

stevewm posted:

Argh! Changed a location from Frontier to Comcast, only for Comcast to turn out even worse for reliability than Frontier!

I get the impression from the techs that the contractor they hired to run the 1,500ft+ line to the store apparently botched the entire thing. It was strung to the wrong poles, many connections where not crimped properly, etc.. Its amazing it even worked at all.
This is pretty likely, I've had issues with Comcast techs a few times, simply because they didn't understand poo poo like signal attenuation.

Zero VGS posted:

You better not watch that Orson Scott Card movie! On that note, the last time someone at work questioned my use of PTO I told them "It's for gay sex", it really cuts down on followup questions.
It would be pretty ironic if you claimed you needed time off for gay sex, and then went and watched an Orson Scott Card movie, though!

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009
On with computer maintenance scammer right now.

edit: Oh this is fun. There are 1000's of junk files called INF files that are on my computer that get downloaded from the internet.

edit 2: 30 minutes of messing with them, doing everything that has ever been done to me by end users. I even got passed to level 2 support because "Justin" couldn't walk me through downloading the ammmy remote desktop .exe file.

Highlights:

Him: take a look at your keyboard

Me: well there are some crumbs in there, could that be the problem?

Him: Go to your desktop please

Me: Ok, Google!

Him: Heavy sigh

Him: What browser do you use?

Me: Internet!

SubjectVerbObject fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Sep 17, 2013

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Rohaq posted:

Time to have some 'sick' days then.

Seriously, your PTO was agreed upon in your contract when you first signed up, and they can't just tell you that you can't take it; they would be in breach of contract for not providing you the benefits and compensation that they promised for the service you provide.

If they seriously can't cope without you to the point where you can't take a single day off they are:

a). Seriously incompetent managers and setting themselves up to fail.
b). Need to look into cross training your colleagues to the point where they can easily take over your responsibilities, at least on a temporary basis.
c). Apparently shown that they can't afford to fire you for taking 'sick' days anyway.

Cant do that poo poo here. With a healthcare system I have to hand in a note from the national insurance that I was sick, which means a doc has to verify it. (Yes I have to go to the doctor always, no matter how bad it is. Same day, too. Unless youre dying thats hardball.

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

SEKCobra posted:

Cant do that poo poo here. With a healthcare system I have to hand in a note from the national insurance that I was sick, which means a doc has to verify it. (Yes I have to go to the doctor always, no matter how bad it is. Same day, too. Unless youre dying thats hardball.
Where is 'here'?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
A department I support got some new computers about a month and a half ago. I imaged them when they came in, but they need specialised software I I don't have and don't know how to install. I asked my coworker (also my team lead) about it since he's dealt with it before, and he said no problem, he'd show me what to do.

Time passes. I've asked him a few times about it and he always says "oh we'll take care of it on Monday" and the like.

Fast forward to today. The guy who runs that department emails my boss to ask why he doesn't have his computers yet. I noncommittally reply that they're imaged but I'm still waiting on software, because this is in writing and I don't want to throw my coworker -- who has generally been on the level with me in the past -- under the bus. He responds by pretending to have no idea what this is about and scapegoating me as not taking care of it earlier.

Now that my boss is involved, suddenly this is a priority for him, and he insists we go up and take care of it right away. We get the new computers set up -- mostly I mean I get them set up, as he bails on me after doing one of them -- which is no small hassle given the goofy ways some of these users insist on setting up their offices. Before he leaves he shows me how to install this software package. It doesn't work right away and I have to wrestle with it -- he's no help, which should have tipped me off that this was going to be a problem. By now it's almost 3:00pm, I haven't eaten lunch, and I'm starving. I finish the installs and I test it with the users -- it doesn't work. I go talk to the guy who administers this POS, and it turns out this is far more complicated than I was led to believe, and requires additional software. In his rush to blame me for the delay, my coworkers has crippled a department for half a business day. (I hadn't set up the computers because I didn't want to take down their working computers until these were ready to replace them. He insisted we put the new computers in place and then install the software.)

I give a quick report to my boss by phone, just the situation with the app, leaving the personnel crap out of it. I tell him I'll give him a more complete explanation next time I see him in person. My coworker calls me a little later, presumably having spoken to my boss. He apparently didn't bother getting the details from my boss, though, because I have to re-explain the situation to him. He asks what software it needs, I tell him. According to him, he who did not know the first goddamned thing about this app, everything's fine, because "it's easy to install."

Words cannot express how livid I am right now.

guppy fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Sep 17, 2013

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

guppy posted:

I have run into this situation before. Everything is a "piece of cake" to a coworker who doesn't have to actually do the work. Especially to a coworker who doesn't understand how working as a team works out. I have a team member here who is exactly the same.

Edit: The advice below VVVVVVVVVVVVVV is great advice. I have done the same at work to great success. Sometimes simply talking to the other person sorts the issue, and if it doesn't, hitting up the supervisor definitely will.

Verdugo fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Sep 17, 2013

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

guppy posted:

A department I support got some new computers about a month and a half ago. I imaged them when they came in, but they need specialised software I I don't have and don't know how to install. I asked my coworker (also my team lead) about it since he's dealt with it before, and he said no problem, he'd show me what to do.

Time passes. I've asked him a few times about it and he always says "oh we'll take care of it on Monday" and the like.

Fast forward to today. The guy who runs that department emails my boss to ask why he doesn't have his computers yet. I noncommittally reply that they're imaged but I'm still waiting on software, because this is in writing and I don't want to throw my coworker -- who has generally been on the level with me in the past -- under the bus. He responds by pretending to have no idea what this is about and scapegoating me as not taking care of it earlier.

Now that my boss is involved, suddenly this is a priority for him, and he insists we go up and take care of it right away. We get the new computers set up -- mostly I mean I get them set up, as he bails on me after doing one of them -- which is no small hassle given the goofy ways some of these users insist on setting up their offices. Before he leaves he shows me how to install this software package. It doesn't work right away and I have to wrestle with it -- he's no help, which should have tipped me off that this was going to be a problem. By now it's almost 3:00pm, I haven't eaten lunch, and I'm starving. I finish the installs and I test it with the users -- it doesn't work. I go talk to the guy who administers this POS, and it turns out this is far more complicated than I was led to believe, and requires additional software. In his rush to blame me for the delay, my coworkers has crippled a department for half a business day. (I hadn't set up the computers because I didn't want to take down their working computers until these were ready to replace them. He insisted we put the new computers in place and then install the software.)

I give a quick report to my boss by phone, just the situation with the app, leaving the personnel crap out of it. I tell him I'll give him a more complete explanation next time I see him in person. My coworker calls me a little later, presumably having spoken to my boss. He apparently didn't bother getting the details from my boss, though, because I have to re-explain the situation to him. He asks what software it needs, I tell him. According to him, he who did not know the first goddamned thing about this app, everything's fine, because "it's easy to install."

Don't suck up unnecessary blame. Talk to your coworker and let him know exactly how he is screwing you. If he does anything but make it right, take it to your boss. Absorbing bad performance for someone else is a horrible, bottom-line affecting move.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Its not throwing under the bus if its true

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
Sick update, running a fever now, feel like I'm dying...

Working on a SQL failure never hurt so much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
The sysadmin toolkit just showed up on reddit

• Locked thread