Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

blackswordca posted:

I email out 3-5 resumes a day at a minimum. I know I have a few places im in "consideration" for but are taking their sweet time making a decision.

I'd like to propose that we all back off blackswordca's rear end just a little bit. The guy knows he's in a bad place and is trying to get out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Gwaihir posted:

Missing the epic saga of the website printed out, scanned, inserted in to a powerpoint, printed again, faxed, scanned on the other end, emailed, and turned in to a QR code.

Didn't someone's wife then do that QR code in needlepoint as well?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

psydude posted:

Had a presentation of a new network scheduled with our federal manager today at 9:30. Despite knowing this, my boss (the network architect) told me to re-rack the entire network and apply cable management 30 minutes before the presentation. Oh, and of course it wasn't working properly afterward. You know, like one might expect to happen after moving a lot of hardware and recabling it. Except anybody else would've allotted another 30 minutes for troubleshooting. Oh yeah, and wouldn't have done all of this right before a presentation.

Sounds to me like you were being set up for a fall.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
I'm going with INV_dont_use

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Johnny Aztec posted:

What's a good
"IT congratulations" expensive liquor? Preferably in a whiskey or rum.

Hard to go wrong with the Macallan.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

ConfusedUs posted:

gently caress that. I work from home and I'm in my bath robe right now. And I'm more productive than any of my coworkers.

:colbert:

A true fact. I don't think I even wore a tie to my last job interview (which resulted in job). So long as the relevant naughty bits are covered who cares?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Agrikk posted:

"No ma'am. I'm IT. This laptop over in the corner can't print and it's of CRITICAL IMPORTANCE and it's AFFECTING PRODUCTION of babies so I have to take care of it now. I hope you don't mind while I download windows updates...?"

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Paladine_PSoT posted:

What sort of animal sacrifice pleases Canadian gods? I'll build an altar in my backyard for this.

Some poutine and a sixer of Molson ought to do the trick.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Dick Trauma posted:

See if the building has a riser management company. Sometimes they can jump in quickly to handle extending your circuit to the floor and then cabling out the workstations. If you don't have an internal contact that can do this then just find out the number for the building's property management office and start with them. They might route you to the building's chief engineer.

Yeah, but I bet they don't even have a floorplan worked out yet.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Pyroclastic posted:

(Anyone remember PSUs that had an outlet specifically to plug a monitor into? I miss those)

I remember those too, they were awesome. I could swear I've seen power cables with a receptacle at the plug end that would basically emulate that, but I can't find anything like it on monoprice. That would probably be a lot cheaper than a bunch of new power strips if you can find one.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Close, but the one I'm thinking of has the extra receptacle at the other end of the cable. Imagine one of these on the male end.

ICQ - 1245058

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

SubjectVerbObject posted:

And of course all of this took place over multiple emails with imperfect translations, which led to things like the 'gently caress switch' story that I think I have told before.

No, I think I would remember a story about a gently caress switch.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Lum posted:

Group chat is what I was using it for >.<

Didn't know they did an actual client but sounds like it would not be useful to me.

I guess I'm to have to run gtalk under IE or something sick like that. (I refuse to allow Chrome on my system)

Is there any reason you're not using multiple sign-in? I'm reasonably sure that's not browser dependent.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

blackswordca posted:

Reading the comments Ill have to look at how much it costs to take them to small claims for a worst case scenario. Its not a huge amount of money they owe me, so Ill have to see how much of that will be eaten up in fees and lost time.

Looks like filing fees are $100 for claims up to $7500, and $200 for between $7500 and the max of $25000. This assumes my memory is correct and you live in Alberta.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

nitrogen posted:

I'm thinking of asking for things like:
* Unlimited/unrestricted work from home *OR* an office
* 15k bump in salary
* parking spot
* extra vacationtime

Any other suggestions?

Don't forget to account for changes in cost of living when negotiating your salary. It would suck a lot to accept a bigger number only to find out it doesn't go as far as your smaller number did.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Renegret posted:

If they as much as suspect you of having as much as a cold or a flu in the call center, security will stop you at the entrance and won't let you come into work. In a way I'm jealous of this policy.

A few years back during the swine flu thing I think it was, my company instituted a policy that if you or anyone in your household had flu or cold symptoms you were to work from home until everybody was symptom free. My wife of course got sick, so I got to stay home for around a week or so. Working from home was otherwise unheard of at this place, so it was a rare treat for me (especially since I had an hour-plus commute). I never got so much as a sniffle.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

FISHMANPET posted:

It's like everybody thinks it's 1995 and everybody is terrible at even simple stuff except for us. Another conversation with my boss
:eng101: We should rely on snapshots to do short term file restores and only use tape for offsite recovery
:byodood: But what if the snapshots don't work properly?
:eng99: Or the tapes could not work properly...

Granted these people are all twice my age, but maybe I'm too trusting in technology? I've used snapshots for years on Windows and ZFS with no problems, as have millions of other people, so I have no problem recommending them, but because it didn't exist when my boss started (25 years ago) or did exist but was terrible, it's precarious technology that's going to break horrible and kill our pets if you look at it funny.

I don't know much about storage and backup stuff, but I'm hoping you're not recommending VM snapshots cause that would not be a good idea.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
I got a cordless Logitech keyboard a little while ago. It's got a caps lock indicator light, but nothing for numlock. It does light up the indicator on my laptop when I hit it, but seriously how much more expensive would it have been to add one?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

babies havin rabies posted:

A dusty old webserver went down today

code:
Drive-0 458gb
Drive-3 458gb    FAILED
-------
Vol-0   916gb    RAID-0
It was a good day! :)

Fortunately the backup is good. We're virtualizing it.

Gentle reminder that the 0 in RAID0 stands for how much of your data is recoverable when one of the drives fails.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Install BES10 to manage your iOS devices. :colbert:

We know you're proud to be Canadian and everything but let's be reasonable here.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

blackswordca posted:

Another position that looks interesting went up today, I want to rewrite my CV, anyone suggest a good resource? Ive found a bunch with google, but they are all useless. One site will say "Do A, B and C in your CV and you'll be good" The next will say "Do D, E and A. If you do C or B you wont get the job" and so on.

I got pretty good results from the resume goon, he's got a thread in BFC and/or SA-Mart I think.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
I'm in. :guinness:

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Might want to hold off on that new BES install.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-09-20/blackberry-to-fire-4-500-write-down-up-to-960-million.html

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
So we got an email from our internal security folks warning about cryptolocker, saying not to click any links or open attachments etc., giving an example of what the email looks like. Except the screenshots and text they included in the warning are all the "you're poo poo is encrypted, give us money plz" stuff, with instructions to just delete the emails. Correct me if I'm wrong, but once you get that email you're already boned, right?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

The email itself is harmless, unless you run the attachment. There were thoughts that cryptolocker could also get to you through a previous infection, and getting it pushed through the botnet, but I'm not sure if that's been spotted in the wild. The email has nothing to do with that though.

I think you misunderstood me. My understanding is that once you get the email informing you your files are encrypted and asking for money to fix it, you're too late to prevent it and can either pay up or hope you've got good backups. This is the email that's being warned against, not the one that actually causes the infection. Or am I misunderstanding how the virus works?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Oh, sorry, I got it now. You don't get an email saying your poo poo is encrypted. You get one email with the payload attachment. Once you run that, crypto locker has infected you. The program itself should have a popup saying you're boned, and at that point, yeah. Pay or stay boned.

OK, I didn't know how it informed you that your stuff was encrypted. The email I got wasn't worded especially well, but it sounded like we were being warned of emails containing the "Your personal files are encrypted!" message, which would be a really bizarre way for the virus to propagate itself.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

underlig posted:

:j: My password is "indian"
:bigtran: It doesn't work
:j: With the "i":s beeing 1s
:bigtran: It doesn't work
:j: With "shift" pressed

"Oh, you mean a capital 1, why didn't you say so?"

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
And what exactly does "light on paper" mean? Do they want certs that you don't have or something?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

TheHitman21 posted:

They get the proverbial proctology exam and massive fines.

And what happens if you tell them where they can shove their proverbial finger and say "no, you can't look at my computers."

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Khisanth Magus posted:

And if management doesn't like you or needs a scapegoat, the policy will retroactively be whatever makes you look bad.

Pretty sure his company has done this to him repeatedly. We are all rooting for you, blackswordca :angel:

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
I prefer VMware Player for free VMs. Maybe you can even get lucky and have work buy you a licence for Workstation, which is also pretty awesome.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

anthonypants posted:

Everywhere else on the planet it's Remembrance Day. The US used to call it that too, but then we needed more Support for Are Troops.

Well to be fair it's not like it's a recent development, the idea was first floated around right after WWII ended, and has been official for almost 60 years.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Just do 2 if he's going to be a baby about it either way, your boss isn't going to do anything about it, and it's not going to otherwise affect you at all.

Or have your boss talk to him about taking constructive criticism like someone who's not 14.

How ever you handle it, do it in a way that doesn't make you look bad in front of the customer. Internal pissing matches are a very good way of making them lose confidence in your ability to get the job done.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

nitrogen posted:

most of this is hidden from teh customer, its just internal poo poo.

In that case you need to weigh the benefit of correcting him to the cost of potentially making it look like you've got it out for him to management. If these are phone conferences, then IM would be better than correcting him on the phone. If not, I'd say correct him if his misinformation has a negative effect on you, otherwise let him reap what he sows.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
When you look up "penny wise but pound foolish" in the dictionary that's what it uses for an example.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

BabyFur Denny posted:

In Germany November 11th 11:11 is the official start of Carnival season. :colbert:

I knew the Lutherans had a bunch of issues with the Catholic church, but moving lent from Feb/Mar. to November? Madness!

blackswordca posted:

My spidey sense is tingling... this is going to be a complete and total gong show on Monday when the line is switched over.

Keep this handy, should come in useful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnHmskwqCCQ

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Swink posted:

Before you drop $100 on Powershell, watch this 4 hour presentation from Don Jones - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ya1dQ1Igkc

This gave me the grounding and then I went from there.

Don Jones is a pretty awesome guy who knows his poo poo.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

elcapjtk posted:

As an IT pro, I never thought I'd spend a day fixing various lasers.

I spent today fixing various lasers. It was everything I hoped for and more.

Did you finally defeat Cobra? I honestly could never figure out why everyone on that cartoon was such a lousy shot when every single round was a tracer.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Sirotan posted:

When we have fire inspections, we go around making people hide the drat things.

There's your problem right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Volmarias posted:

I think the point is to let them be seen during the fire inspection, so that they can be labeled fire hazards, so that you have justification in removing them.

Ding ding ding. See if you can get an inspection scheduled while that facilities dude is on vacation or something. The problem will solve itself.

• Locked thread