Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Khisanth Magus posted:

Normally I wouldn't just because it wouldn't look awesome on my resume to only be here for 4 months, but given that email...

As for whether I was keeping him in the loop: He is generally a very hands off manager, and doesn't even really pay any attention to the details of what we are doing. The team leads knew what was going on.

But the question is did the Team Lead give him the full skinny on what was going on? There's a big difference to "doing the work you were assigned" and "doing the work that nobody had any idea that wasn't done."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."

ookiimarukochan posted:

Not a CV that popped into my in-box, but I figure this image was too good to leave stuck in "PYF Awkward, Ugly, and Gross"

Good god, that person would get an instant disqualification from any sane place. That is hardly a professional resume to be submitting for a job.

Not to mention ousting yourself as a Brony is PROBABLY not a good idea.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."

Alctel posted:

How have I never found this thread before

I'll type up a long post about my current job when I have more time, but will leave you with this titbit

On my VERY FIRST day, one of the HR people handed in a USB stick they had borrowed. My boss started scanning it, only to collapse in laughter, and beckon everyone in the room over to take a look. It was full of naked photos of the HR person with their boyfriend :|.

Well now. Guess we know who's the top dog in THAT agency now. (Seriously, why would you do something like that!?)

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."

SEKCobra posted:

OMG
Im on holiday. Just went by work to pickup some personal affects, going back to work monday. Now get this: My personal cupboard has been broken into. Literally ripped open. And I know exactly who it was. That shithead feels entitled to have access to MY dvds for work at all times. Apparently this includes breaking into my only personal space at work. Currently trying to determine how far to raise this issue. Considering calling in HR and maybe even threaten with cops. I am glowing white on the inside with rage. How can one think breaking into a coworkers personal belongings coild ever be ok... :psypop:

If you guys want I can keep you updated.

I would be careful how much information you post on the internet, especially if you decide to take it to the cops.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."

Caconym posted:

Bitlocker pin codes. :getin:
God help you if you're off site and change the hardware configuration without turning bitlocker off first though.
Helpdesk has the code to unlock it, but we don't have a system for auth over the phone, so you'll have to show up in person.

Having the time of my life with crappy TPM chips. Turns out on the Lenovo T420s, on some of them, the TPM chip will lock out by itsef even when the correct password is entered. Only fix for it is a motherboard replacement.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."
I use AIMP3 for my media player. Is there something that people aren't telling me?

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."

Wagonburner posted:

I had to try this, but it didn't work for me. Win 7. I was sure you were going to be right and I would have another :argh: Bill! WTF? :argh: moment.

I created a non-priv account like our users are, I made a shortcut to an mp4 and a shortcut to a pdf. I don't have word on here but I assoc'ed the linked mp4 to imgburn and the pdf to crystal diskinfo, it didn't gently caress with any .lnks/shortcuts but simply associated all mp4s with imgburn, all pdfs with crystal.

How did these users do it? Why does MS still have a way to break a core functionality?

Another poster up higher said it always happens with word for him, happened with word at our place today happens with catsblast for you I guess I should try it with them, maybe something screwy with them instead of just windows.

Actually, I run into this sometimes at work. The users don't do anything to break it, it just "breaks" sometimes. A popular one we'll run into is .lnk will start opening as Adobe PDFs.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/19449-default-file-type-associations-restore.html

This worked for me.

One note, you need to have the user type in THEIR credentials. It'll say it failed, but just log out and back in and the problem will be fixed.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."

thelightguy posted:

What does a "server" from 1903 look like anyway?

I bet it's steam powered!

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."

GreenNight posted:

Just got this today:

That must've been one hell of a party.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."

anthonypants posted:

Oh, and to everyone saying how easy DNS is: check out the A records for "wc-roads.com" right now.

Not sure what I'm supposed to be looking at.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."

Paladine_PSoT posted:

If they ask for references, link them to this thread. We'll give you glowing reviews. Just :frogout: as fast as possible!

I'm not sure that would look good on a resume.

References

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Serious Hardware / Software Crap > RE: A ticket came in....

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."

peak debt posted:

Did you forget the 4 ironically?

No, see, that's his problem. He still forgets the 4. It's a different number for everyone in his family.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."

CollegeCop posted:

I got in to work yesterday morning to a chorus of "It's Broke!!!". Our electronic in/out board crapped the bed sometime overnight. While it is convenient to be able to see who is out of the office and when they will return, it is certainly not mission critical. But, my god, the bitching!

Anyway, I call the support line, only to discover the company is based out of Alaska, and is 4 hours behind us. So I start poking around the program. The system consists of a central server program and a client that runs on each desktop. Found some error logs, but I couldn't make heads nor tails out of them, so I waited until after my lunch and gave them a call.

Turns out the program reached maturity in 1999 and has not seen an update since then. I was passed to three different techs before I found one that was familiar enough with the program to help me. We discovered that a recent update overwrote a .dll required by the server, so we re-installed the .dll, which got the server back up and running.

Then we discovered that the program writes each in/out event to a database.

An Access 97 database.

That had never been purged since the program was installed in 2000. And the database had hit its 1gig size limit sometime overnight.

The admin function on the server program refused to mount the database to purge old events because the database was full. Access 2013 refused to open the file because the format was too old. Access 2007 also refused. I found an old copy of OfficeXP, threw it on XP mode, and was finally able to purge about 26,000 entries.

The secretary who was the only one who had Admin access to the program only used it to run leave reports, and had no idea there was even a purge function. So now I have an Admin login and a recurring calendar event to purge the database every January. Yay me!

Don't you just LOVE old custom-build software?

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."

Migishu posted:

An announcement came in at 10:59 - please join us all in observing 2 minutes of silence for Remembrance Day

A call came in to my colleague at 11:00:05

He was not happy.

Am I missing something here?

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."

Kramdar posted:

About 55 seconds.

Right. Can't believe I didn't see that.

I blame it on the industry.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."

Vin BioEthanol posted:

Anyone ever had a tpm module fail? I setup a new laptop with bitlocker full disk a couple weeks ago for a guy, today it won't boot, wants the key. when you enter the key and boot up windows, windows is bitching about a tpm module could not be found.

Going into bios there's no "security chip" option at all like the other laptops have. Update bios, same thing.

I read something about tpms maybe going into a lockout mode if they think they're being attacked and will unlock after 20 hours or something but surely that wouldn't make the option disappear in bios?

Lenovo's sending a guy to replace the board tomorrow and they usually are pretty sure of themselves before paying a guy to install a $$ board next day.

Hoo boy, we run T420s here and something is up with the TPM chips here. I get a laptop that will work fine until one day, it decides to lock out. I actually witnessed this. The person took out the laptop and typed the code in correctly and the TPM locked out.

Clearing out the security chip only fixes the problem temporary. I usually have to call Lenovo with a new system board.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."

crashdome posted:

One of my clients purchased some laptops from another IT firm/vendor. All were preloaded with Office 2013 and setup for the user they were assigned to by them directly before they were delivered. We just learned all the product keys are tied/registered to an email address of a single individual at the IT firm and NOT my client.

They thought, "You can just change it to whomever, later."

Oh God. Have fun with that one. I think we're not going to 2013 on our Windows 8 build.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."
We have 5 different models of Lenovo. T420s and T410s are the worst. Between fan failures, colored lines of the screens, and TPM chip problems, I can't wait for this cycle to be over...

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."

Caged posted:

The issue at that particular place was that there was never really any interest in knowing what was going on in the world of IT - the IT directors word was taken at face value and no matter how bizarre this sounded the higher ups bought it. There was no effort to do any more investigation, it was a black box that they didn't want to get involved in.

My god, this sounds like something out of the IT Crowd.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."

blackswordca posted:

So got a call last night from the trucking company IT manager. According to him he was talking to the general manager and recommending that they interview me to replace him. The general manager told him "Oh, weren't you told? We already hired a replacement"

Not sure if that's true or not.

I did get a call from my old manager, from before the company I work for got stupid, asking if I want to work for him again. It would be helpdesk and from our conversation, id take a bit of a pay cut. He would give me the option to work from home, as transit into their office is flaky at best. Gonna toss a resume in and see what the actual offer says and see if i can negotiate to at least what im making now.

At this point, take the pay cut. Your sanity isn't worth the extra money.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."

Best movie series. EVER.

I will fight anyone that says otherwise.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."

Collateral Damage posted:

Reply that they can use Alt-032 to enter a space and close the ticket.

All of these years of computers and somehow I still get my mind blown. I have never known that Alt codes existed.

I'm bad at this, aren't I?

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."

AlternateAccount posted:

Ah yes, our product requires you to download and install Java, which has bundled ad/malware. gently caress that.

I think they stopped bundling stuff now. Baby steps!

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."

Lum posted:

Showed my girlfriend the MoneyShovel stuff as she's the networks person in this house. Her response...

Don't forget that the moneyshovel 7945 is only licensed for 12.2.54(WTF)5 revenue release stream, and to get the features you want from 15.3.1(BBQ)1 you have to relicense it.

Or you can just hexedit a 12.2.54(WTF) image released for the 8645 so it will run on the 7945 because the only difference is two bytes and the front panel is silver.

I laughed. Your girlfriend is awesome.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."

wa27 posted:

One of our employees quit and I finally got his equipment back after a month.

I guess I'll be able to find a couple spare keys and clean up the laptop, but why can't people just take care of their things?

Good chance saying that he did and decided to trash the phone.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."
Ticket came in:

USB Monitors are popping up for admin credentials, even after we installed the software/drivers for Displaylink.

I can see that these USB Monitors are going to be a PITA.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."

Lum posted:

Well, it turned out to be less funny than anticipated.

They punted it out to two suppliers, one of which is bloody Computacentre, both of whom couldn't get one, then they offered to buy me a new printer.

I turned the offer down and instead got a new sealed unopened cartridge for £18.50 onn eBay.

Fun thing with these LJ4 cartridges is they claim to have a lifetime warranty, where lifetime is until the toner runs out, I wonder if HP will still honour it?

You can try it! But you better have that Lifetime warranty in writing.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."

Lum posted:

It's printed in the little manual that comes with the cartridges.

Better check the fine print. I bet they have something like "Offer is valid until we decide it is no longer valid."

From a google search, it appears that HP will throw a stink if you try to do it.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."
At the risk of invoking more bad memories, what's this JetDirect you're talking about?

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."

scroogle nmaps posted:

A call came in.

A newly imaged device can't join an HA pair. It's a bug. I provide a workaround.

It joins the pair, but fucks up the heartbeat crypto settings somehow causing split brain. I fix that. It's still split brain. Reboot. The HA daemon no longer starts on the secondary. The primary no longer thinks it's part of a cluster either.

I suspect it's core dumping or having catastrophic hardware issues/NIC driver bugs, but it's a classified network and they can't send us any logs, cores, or anything really. gently caress this gay earth.

On the other hand, I am not the case owner! Someone else's problem!

Split brain... You're making me paranoid here. You have created a rouge AI. We're all gonna die! :tinfoil:

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."

President Ark posted:

Sentient makeup. My god. :aaa:

it's "rogue"

It's a new type of terror!

Actually, that's pretty scary if you think about it... Most women use makeup...
Suddenly, all of them get brainjacked by AIs.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."

Crowley posted:

When I got back from a meeting I had a padded envelope waiting for me at my desk. Inside was a heavily used iPhone, a charger, a cable, and the headset. Everything was filthy, greasy and randomly smeared with something thin and brown that had crept into every little nook and cranny.

When I checked the IMEI I saw it was assigned to one of our photographers, one I haven't seen in a while. I asked around, no one knew when the phone had landed on my desk. I asked the girls in the reception since they know everything about people in the company, and they told me he got back from a travel assignment a few days ago and should be around.

..he was around allright, in the local hospital being checked over because of a near miss roadside bomb in Afghanistan. Apparently that brown stuff on the phone is blood splatters from him and/or the persons next to him.

Hand sanitizer is a wonderful thing.

Holy poo poo :gonk: Make sure that equipment goes into bio-hazard dispersal. I take it you don't have a mail department?

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."

Sickening posted:

Are you trying to say that its impossible to run 16 bit apps on a vm?

No, I think he's trying to say that you can't run a 16 bit app that's not installed "inside" the vm.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."
I work for a gov agency whose help desk is slowly getting contracted out. I'm pretty much the person all the remote staff knows - they keep buying me beer at the meets.

I refuse after the first one. I'm a lightweight when it comes to alcohol, guys.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Never do this unless you already have a start date at another company.

They were walking him out the door anyways. Sooo...

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."

blackswordca posted:

"Actually, im paying them"

:masterstroke:

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Cherwell is pretty drat good, if you bother to get it properly configured.

BMC just pushed out FootPrints v12 and... well, wait for the first SP, I'd say.

Internally, we're still using Service Desk Express (Magic), but we're going Remedy this year.

:stare: You don't happen to work for a small federal agency, do you?

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."
Sorry to break into the celebration but I need to rant.

gently caress Citrix.
gently caress printers.

Got three users whose Citrix client keeps crashing and event viewer give me av faulting module ntdll.DLL.

I know it's the printers because if I disable the print spooler, the client works fine.

Any ideas? We got a mix of mostly HP, and one Ricoh copier.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."

blackswordca posted:

Just got home, 6 pack of imported scottish beer in hand.

One of the guys at the office took me out for dinner, so all is well.

Computer equipment all taken care of?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."
Son of a bitch. Figured out the problem. Apparently, Citrix hates HP Universal Drivers.

So right now, I'm trying to do versioning between our branch office and our main office - I suspect that the branch office has older drivers.

Edit: Apparently, I'm using version 6.1.7601.21853? :wtc:
Edit 2: Creation Date: July 13, 2009. :geno: I think I found our problem...

RadicalR fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jun 12, 2014

• Locked thread