Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baby Town Frolics
Mar 21, 2008

It's like we've got each other's backs.
Have we said "gently caress Printers" yet? I get a ticket yesterday from a user that I just sent a printer to. The HP 6700 printer needs a "Setup Cartridge" to be initialized. The cartridge was not there. There is no bypass from what I can find online, and we do not carry stock of them. This is the first I've heard of this. :psyduck: So I had to ship the user a return label to send back a worthless paperweight disguised as an HP printer.

The good news is that my IT Department is not shipping out local printers anymore.... Who am I kidding? Give it a month we will be shipping them again after enough snowflakes get irritated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baby Town Frolics
Mar 21, 2008

A ticket was called in by me to facilities. Both toilets are overflowing because idiots can't properly use a toilet.

We have a building of over 100 people, mostly men with only two stalls and a urinal for the men. There is always piss water on the floor.

Times like this I want to investigate who keeps doing this and kick their asses.

Baby Town Frolics
Mar 21, 2008

frogbert posted:

Isn't there some standards relating the the ratio of toilets and people in your country? My country has a minimum of one closet pan per 20 males and one urinal per 25 males, women require one closet pan per 15 employees.

What you have there is unsanitary and should be investigated.

I'll have to count the people it might be closer to 70-80 but still too many people for two toilets and one urinal. It just seems like there are more people because someone is always blowing up the bathroom.

Baby Town Frolics
Mar 21, 2008

A return came in. Three UPS return labels on one box. Why would someone do this?

Baby Town Frolics
Mar 21, 2008

coyo7e posted:

Was it three of the same label, or three different RMAs?

Personally I'd never put multiple labels onto an RMA since manufacturers and their warranty shops are big on trying to invoice you for returned parts they lose track of..

The user was shipped three boxes with three different return labels to ship back to my office.

Baby Town Frolics
Mar 21, 2008

Thanatosian posted:

Another vote for Dell. I find that they have less (and less difficult to remove) bloatware than Lenovo, too. I've also had bad experiences with Lenovo's customer service, and none with Dell's; then again, maybe it says something that we have 22 Dell computers and 2 Lenovos, and the Lenovos are the ones I've had to call customer service about.

Also, what's with all the history majors? Where are the rest of the Political Science majors? :-(

Political Science major checking in here. Political science was more fun than my college's outdated Business Informations Systems class track.

Baby Town Frolics
Mar 21, 2008

sfwarlock posted:

.. to remove spyware from someone's laptop. Running Windows 8. So hosed up it won't even boot to desktop.

New computers are one long string of procedural gently caress yous here.

Want to go into safe mode? You're hosed; the only way to do that in Windows 8 is to reboot into safe mode from normal mode (you know, the mode that probably doesn't work if you're trying to go safe mode) or to physically interrupt the boot process so many times that Windows decides on its own to go into safe mode.

Want to boot off a CD? You're hosed, UEFI bios and "Secure Boot". At least for right now we can turn those off, but eventually they'll just take that option away.

I want to run off to Tibet and become a monk.

EDIT: It just got better. Want to manually install and update Malwarebytes because the spyware is blocking the update site? You're hosed, you have to install Malwarebytes on another computer, update THAT, then pull the files across.

Flatten it.

With a steamroller. :smug:

Baby Town Frolics
Mar 21, 2008

skipdogg posted:

We once had a laptop returned to us from an Indian gentleman that had curry smell just embedded into the plastic. It wasn't coming out and stank up a good chunk of the office. We just wiped it and tossed it, it wasn't fit to be reused.
RE: Indian food smells in equipment. This happens way too much at my work.

A former telephony tech retired and he was a chain smoker. His laptop and everything was disgusting. We threw it in a bag and won't touch it. Cables, laptop, router, phone, etc.

Baby Town Frolics
Mar 21, 2008

Varkk posted:

So many posters in this thread who would fail the bus test.
If you seriously can't take your time off you are owed then something is seriously wrong. If your company can't handle a brief scheduled period with you away, what happens if something comes out of the blue?

I used to feel that way "Everything will catch fire if I leave for a day or two, etc" after seeing other people get burned out I now gladly take my PTO.

I have F*ck It Fridays with one of my friends. When possible we alternate fridays off.

Remember kids.
In any job, you can always get more money but you cannot get back your time.

I'm trying to gently tell this to my girlfriend who is in an extremely high stress job and it's tearing her apart and killing her.

If you have PTO use it. It's what it is for. Give a week or two notice for PTO and let your management sort that poo poo out. poo poo will either work out or not. It's not your problem. Work never changes...

You are worthless to your family, friends and coworkers of you are and angry burned out person.

Baby Town Frolics
Mar 21, 2008

GreenNight posted:

That's when you start to blame everything on XP. Mouse stopped working? XP. Bathrooms flooded? XP.

Sorry boss. I don't know how all of the Win xp machines all suddenly died from water damage. :shrug:

Baby Town Frolics
Mar 21, 2008

GreenNight posted:

Rip out a few caps a week on XP machines. I don't know why these are failing boss, maybe because they're a decade old.

:siren: TRIGGER WARNING: Blown capacitors :siren:

I hated that era in lovely Dell motherboards. It was my first real IT job. I'm glad Dell retreated back to just lackluster systems and not ones prone to actually exploding.

Baby Town Frolics
Mar 21, 2008

nexxai posted:

Just a reminder that tomorrow is April Fools Day, so if you haven't thought of anything to do to your users, these are pretty harmless.

Thank you. I always forget to post these on April Fools day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baby Town Frolics
Mar 21, 2008

An email came in from the head of Corporate IT asking us to fill out an IT satisfaction survey...

Just one week after we were told that all full timers and contractors would be laid off and we could possibly "re-apply" as temporary contractors for an outsourced IT company overseas. :thumbsup: (Read: Nope.) Office Space is real.

I can't believe the guy had the guts to even attempt it.

Baby Town Frolics fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Feb 24, 2015

• Locked thread