Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

blackswordca posted:

So a ticket came in.

A guy was having connectivity issue with a PC. This is a different client than I normally deal with but not a big deal. I troubleshoot his system, an older XP computer, and signs point to a failed NIC. Call up my manager to let him know because this client isn't on a plan and doesn't have a dedicated support team.

:raise: Hey, I talked to the guy and troubleshot his PC. Looks like the NIC on his computer failed and will need to be replaced.

:rant: alright sounds good, make a ticket and send it to sales, they'll quote him a new PC and you can sell it to him.

:raise: Uhh sell it to him? I'm not a salesman, we have a sales department for that.

:rant: Since this client isn't on a monthly plan, the agents that work with them have to sell them the upgrades.

:raise: ... so the only times that sales gets involved is if the client is already in a contract?

:rant: yes

:raise: cant we just sell him a $15 nic and get him up and running instead of him being down for a week because we have to order in a new PC for him?

:rant: No. Sell him a new computer.

:raise: Do I get commission on it?

:rant: no, you aren't sales. Only sales gets commission.

:raise: ...

AKA they want to save money on commission sales by making people that aren't sales, and therefore commission isn't written into your contract, do the work so the company makes more money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

ShadowStalker posted:

This happened Friday

An email came in for our team, mandatory conference call this afternoon

An hour later I get a call from my boss "I no longer work for the company, I've been fired. But I've talked you up during my exit interview so hopefully you will get my old position"

Conference call happens and the firing of my boss was announced

The national director has schedule a one hour call with each member of our team.

Cue me spending this afternoon gathering info, politicking with the other reps, and putting together everything for my call tomorrow

Little do they know that if I don't get this job, I'm gone in a little over 2 years

You're going to punish them by working them for another 2 years? Seems like an OK punishment for them...

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Dick Trauma posted:

Unless it's trapped by furniture. Those ones will stay there until the blaze that takes out my office building.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Pretty sure I brightened up some comcast tier1 supports day. I just received an arries modem/router combo because my old modem was not DOCSIS3.0. Installed it, raged a little bit at the web GUI, and I figured I wouldn't have immediate time to get it put in bridge mode so I'd have to use the built in wireless. So, a few hours later I get on the phone with their tech support to bridge the modem, it went something like this:

:yarr:Comcast tech support how can I help you?
:black101:Need my modem put into bridged mode

:yarr:Ok let me log into it give me just a minute...
:black101:...waiting...

:yarr:(laughing)What is this? hold on a moment I need to talk to a co-worker
:black101: politely sitting on hold

He finally comes back after a minute or two with a couple people in the background laughing
:yarr:That's a darn fine network name you've got there (Could hear someone in the background repeating the network name)
:black101:Oh... yeah.. I was a little angry earlier, glad you guys could get a good laugh out of it

The network name? gently caress You Comcast

He proceeded to bridge my modem and was very pleasant!

*edit* for content uh... all of you 3-day weekend people make me sad, I'm working a 10 today at the helldesk, and then 8 hours on monday of helldesk... At least I get double time for monday and call volume should be relatively low.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Aug 31, 2013

MF_James
May 8, 2008

skooma512 posted:

We just got done with a system rollout at a hospital which included tons of thin clients on wheels.

The motherfuckers are breaking left and right. We finally managed to get one set of systems handled and the other system that was doing ok decides to just poo poo the bed. Nobody even knows what to do about it. Network team is going to blame the vendor and the vendor is going to blame the network team and everybody is going to blame desktop support.

Is it the thin clients breaking, the network connection or what? I support terrible terrible terrible thin-client networks, avoid linux technology crap that comes from japan (we used LT210s), those things have capacitor issues that we didn't find out about till deploying 10K+ maybe 20k+. We have changed to HP model ones that seem to work better so far.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

zeroaccess rootkit you are my current bane! At the very least it's a side job I'm getting paid cash for and doing this while I'm on the clock at work.

The windows offline defender or whatever is pretty awesome, owned a bunch of stuff that no other scanner found!

The downside is that currently I can't get rid of this loving thing, I've thrown the book at it and it's still lingering somewhere... my last option is to combofix... which I've been somewhat hesitant to do.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Galler posted:

When Combofix fucks up, and it does sometimes, it fucks up bad and can be much worse than whatever you were using it to fix in the first place.

This is exactly why I didn't use it first, but I've thrown everything else in my arsenal at it and it still persists, worst case if combofix fucks it up, I'll system restore, and tell the guy I'll do a reimage over the weekend when I have time.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Kyrosiris posted:

:stare: Is that retroactive or just going forward? Either way it's a bad idea but the former would be a nightmare, at least for me.

All our notes in our ticketing system COULD be viewed by clients, but none of them ever log into the system, but why would you be putting stuff into your ticketing system that you don't want someone to look at? Seems like a Bad Choice.

Also your username is awesome, pretty sure I've had people call Kyocera printers that exactly.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

SubjectVerbObject posted:

Well the new smell is off the YOTJ and the warranty has expired. Their Service Delivery Excellence project turned out to be what I expected, metrics, metrics, metrics. They are starting to send out emails to improve the metric of the week, and will shortly be starting competition between teams, based on metrics, which is what destroyed my old job. The managers and teams that did best were the ones that fudged the metrics best. I'm flashing back to my first IT job in a call center where they had your average call time written on a balloon above your desk.

Fake edit. Just got my first metric review and I am crushing them. The old me would have been excited to be doing well. The new me can see the hamster wheel.

Worst way to run a call center ever, thank god my work knows better. You definitely need to YOTJ again

MF_James
May 8, 2008

nitrogen posted:

This will eventually happen in *ANY* call center type/support environment.

The call center I work at has been around for like 15-20 years and has always been run without using stupid metrics. This is also a family owned company so that might have something to do with it. I don't even see it happening when the old man steps down and lets his son take over.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

luminalflux posted:

I went to OmniTI Surge last week largely based on the keynote speaker.

I was not dissapointed.

Holy poo poo, that's awesome, I really wish I had known about that.

content: Today sucks, 3 people called off sick and we're getting more than our average call volume. Aside from normal calls we've got a big network upgrade going on and we're doing more of those today than any other day. It's a freaking mess.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

skipdogg posted:

I work with people in their 30's that do this. I don't understand it. Back when I was involved with our call center we would see a massive spike in callouts when a new hit game or WoW release came out. Who calls into work so they can play a new video game?

So what do you take days off of work for? Sit on your couch and do nothing? Go on a trip? Touch yourself all day? Every so often I take a random day off and sit and play video games, not necessarily something new, but it's basically a day where I can sit around without anyone bothering me since my gf is at work/school and I can just stare at a flickering image and not think very hard.

e;fb multiple times

MF_James
May 8, 2008

ratbert90 posted:

I don't get sick days. My sick days are literally: "Oh your sick? Come in when you feel better!"
I get two weeks of vacation per year also.

I do think if you have kids then you should probably spend your vacation time with them, because you're the father/mother and all. Spending vacation just for a video game and ignoring your kids is a pretty lovely thing to do.

Well, if your kids are in school, you can wake up, make breakfast/lunch for them and your SO (or not if you don't have one), then relax during the day doing whatever and then be with them at night too. Now taking a whole week off might be excessive since you probably should do some sort of vaca with the family, but I don't see a problem with 1 or 2 days, especially if you do other things, and I doubt anyone in that position is going to play a video for 18 hours straight.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

We used to have a light policy of just resetting staff passwords back to their id numbers if it expired or was forgotten. It's a pretty dumb thing to do and there were more than a few people abusing this so they'd never have to change out of their terrible password.

Starting this summer I've been setting the passwords to:

DD.MM.YYYY.first.last.empid

I always get a bit of a smile when someone calls in expecting to get their old password back, and then they hear that 30-40 character abortion. At least this way I'm assuming people are changing them.

Why aren't you forcing a change upon first entry of password?

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Verdugo posted:

poo poo that pisses me off: Last week I thought I was YOTJ'ing on up. This week? Whole bunch of bullshit -- that's on hold, my contract is expiring early on Friday [so is my wife's] and we're waiting on the new contract offers.

Major projects go live 1 October, and no one who has actually attended the training is going to be here to support it. Next three days I'm backing up important documents, working on a transition plan and hopefully they get their poo poo in order before I accept a position elsewhere.

It's not your problem if they don't! Although be ready to quote them for support when they don't get their ducks in a row and call you after your contract is done for help.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Caged posted:

Web chat with Dell, every time. It means you can do other stuff while pretending to go through the troubleshooting steps.

This a million times, I will never ever call their support line, but their web chat? That poo poo rocks, every time I'm on a web chat session it takes MAYBE 5 minutes of my actual time. I can get a lot of work done between responses etc and they don't question if I've actually already done troubleshooting (which I have) and I just throw everything at them that I've done and that usually gets me a tech on-site within the next day or two.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

blackswordca posted:

So a ticket came went out...

Over the weekend software updates were ran on our ticketing system and now nobody can log in. When you type in your password, it starts to randomly add extra characters. This is affecting the web client and the local installed clients as well. ETA for a fix from our vender is a week.

Sounds like office beer/scotch/rum party for a week.

Reality sets in: Sounds like you are phone jockey again for a week while users call in their tickets.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Walter_Sobchak posted:

A birthday came in! :toot:

Some of my coworkers even got me a card and gave it to me. Aww, how nice! They didn't have to do that!

But upon further examination, what's this?

Oh.

insert the change into his eye sockets.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

ConfusedUs posted:

I know exactly the smell you're talking about, too. Get one whiff of the magic smoke, and you never forget.

Blown caps smell wonderful, almost as wonderful as a melting board/plastic.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Crowley posted:

The T410s we have have a horrible failure rate on their fans. I asked our usual warranty repair guy about the issue, and he said that Lenovo skimped on the fans and went with nylon bearings instead of brass. Now all the fans are failing and are being replaced with proper fans.

Luckily we have the top-tier service on all our laptops. When I needed a fan replacement on the laptop I use the repair guy happily drove out to our summer cottage and replaced the fan on a scheduled time.

I was just about to post this. We use lenovo and yeah they tried to cheap out on bearings and because of that they've replaced a good percentage of our fans. Our users also don't take very good care of their laptops, so I'm sure that's expedited the death of the fan, I've had my T420 since the beginning and have had no issues.

OH isee that was about T410s, well I am (fairly) certain that lenovo does this with most/all of their models, because we had previous models with the same issue.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Nov 20, 2013

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Caged posted:

There was a year where lots of people moved jobs, but now YOTJ is just a thing that isn't bound by the constraints of a calendar.

We have broken the chains of our master, that evil calendar, and will rule for eternity

MF_James
May 8, 2008

GreenNight posted:

I've been in Costa Rica for a week and I spent 1 hour each night on the Internet doing random poo poo while the gf updates Instagram. All the emails I got from my boss were "add this to your list when you get back". Owns.

Jelly, Costa Rica is AWESOME went there for 2 weeks when I was 17. Probably the best/second best out of US trip of my life, you are a lucky man good sir.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

I had to work today. Started a 6:45 was going to leave around 3:30-4 because of snow. I normally work 10s so no big deal to work these hours. Then, 3pm rolls around, and poo poo hit the fan, our office took ~420 calls in an hour and a half, there were 6 of us working. I'm now finally leaving the office at 6pm. I have a party that I'm throwing that starts in 2 hours, it will take me at least that long to get home.

Bad scotch that has been sitting in my apartment forever, you will get drank tonight, and you will like it.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Chat support, in my experience, is universally better, I've never used chat for any home related stuff, but Dell's chat support was top notch awesome, took like 5-10minutes the people are cool and didn't fuss too much about shipping things without harassing me about a bunch of dumb troubleshooting.

The only reason I hated moving from Dell to Lenovo was that I had to call in all support requests instead of having a chat option, but at least the support center was in America, sure it was Alabama, I believe, and I could sitll hardly understand them sometimes.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

wpm talk, I do 100+wpm easily, after about 120-140 my right hand starts typing faster than my left.

Too many hours/days/years (literally over a year logged into EQ) of playing MMOs/FPSs has increased type speed/accuracy

MF_James
May 8, 2008

theangryamoeba posted:

It took me a couple of clicks to realize that this wasn't a thumbnail..

I feel pretty drat dumb for clicking it more than once, actually for clicking it at all because the icon didn't change when moused over.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Dragyn posted:

I've recently had the opposite "problem", one of my best clients insists on paying for literally remoting to her PC and uninstalling an app.

It would take longer to write the check than it took me to do the job. She already pays me several hundred a year to do menial setups and such. When I finally gave her a bill at her insistence, she sent me nearly double.

These are best problems to have, but it feels like I'm taking advantage.

If she sent you double what you billed, she clearly thinks you are worth more than your are charging and feels SHE is taking advantage of YOU without paying you the extra.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Loose Ifer posted:

A Resignation Came In Today....

It was my own. I haven't shared many of my stories but most of them would just be rehashes of all the bullshit it seems like we as techs deal with on a daily basis. Was in the ER over the weekend with a panic attack after being berated by the director of my department on a conference call for 1.5 hours.

The reason for the 'disciplinary action' was that a co-worker patched all our exchange boxes in the middle of the day and said that i told him to do it. He had no proof or email chain, just simply said i told him to do it.

Got a job makin pizzas for now ,and it'll pay the bills and might even be a nice reprieve from office life.

So anyone in the midwest have any bones they wanna throw my way I've got a neat little resume.

My job (I think) is looking for a windows server 2012 admin and also Hyper-V capable people, if you've got experience in either of those and don't mind moving/live near here already (not going to say exactly... but it's outside chicago) I can try to help you out.

Also, sorry to hear that, sounds like a poo poo situation, but at least you recognized it and got out for your own health/sanity.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

GreenNight posted:

Six years of Windows Server 2012 admin experience!

LOL we are an MSP I would hope that my higher ups would have better postings than that! Unless you are one of the goons I work with loving around... :tinfoil:

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Did all of your racks just vomit? That looks like a nightmare of epic proportions.

*edit* I also just saw the hole in the wall on the left, is there also cable vomit coming from there?

vvv-poo poo I didn't even realize that there's a raised floor!

MF_James fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Apr 4, 2014

MF_James
May 8, 2008

notwithoutmyanus posted:

I was assigned a garden plot at my work but I can't find any victims to share the maintenance :( I don't want to spend time on that poo poo.

Outdoor gardening sucks, I live in a large city and my gf and I grow herbs (legal variety) on our window ledge, we grew all through the winter (obviously lower output) and it was easy as heck! Lots of fresh herbs for our food, and after the initial growth period they require very little maintenance. Basically water every few days, if things start to flower make sure to trim, but try to trim down prior to that, dry the leaves, freeze them, or use them fresh! So much fresh pesto over the past few months, it's amazing.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Just got a ticket:

"Says Error occurs when he select part of App" :ughh:

Why thank you, I love booting tickets back to people and not having to do any actual work until YOU actually do work.

The guy that sent this ticket is also partially responsible for testing releases of the POS our client uses...

**edit** I never realized that the picard facepalm was ughh

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Wilford Cutlery posted:

The MSP I work for has had the pleasure of offboarding a notoriously difficult client. This is a memory of them from/for the archives:

At the very least (it appears) that there is a piece of red tape on each end denoting what it is/plugs into or something, so even the unplugged ones are labeled!

MF_James
May 8, 2008

pr0digal posted:

Upper management wants the universal file share to be cleaned up which is fine as it's becoming a little cluttered. Except they want the users to take a stab at it first!

This is going to end wonderfully. :allears: I'm backing it up in it's current state before sending out the e-mail.

Please post a trip report for this! I hope it's more exiting than "no one touched anything because computers are scary"

MF_James
May 8, 2008

The Muffinlord posted:

Wait, really?

SSD has such a long life span now, I forget exactly the math but it would take longer for the SSD to die when constantly writing to it than probably every other piece of equipment.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Fortis posted:

I don't know for sure. He was in another building so all I got was an email from my boss telling me I didn't need to worry about the ticket anymore (including the exchange between my boss, the CIO, and the CEO) and a secondhand account from someone in HR that the guy was more surprised and crestfallen than anything, which is actually even more confusing. If he had gotten mad, I'd understand that, but no. He was blindsided and hurt, like he thought his ticket and requests were totally reasonable.

If I hadn't been able to dig up the old ticket, I'd be unable to tell if it wasn't actually just a fever dream. It was the most bizarre experience I've ever had in IT.

He had quite the monologue going on in that ticket, I wish it had gone on for a few days before the walk out the door.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

orange sky posted:

I hate to play devil's advocate but why would a company hire a developer for a project and completely not support him/have the software he needed? I know some of those requests are stupid, but some of that stuff is actually required for him to.. You know.. Work. What would you do, get in your PC and say "Oh well, this poo poo ain't gonna work, I have no tools that support the OS I need to use, gently caress it, I'll just chill"?

That being said, it was actually a very big ticket for 30 minutes. But he probably didn't expect you to solve it all right there, he just kept coming up with stuff he needed to do his job right.

He also went completely against company policy and VNC'd into his home computer and was trying to put work files (again, against company policy) on his home computer, I'm not sure if he succeeded in moving the files I kind of glazed over during parts of the ticket. I'm sure those were some of the BIGGER factors in him getting released.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

GreenNight posted:

An engineer sends me an email asking for a newer PC out in the testing lab. Here are his requirements:

120 gig SSD
2 gigs of memory
64 bits or greater OS
i3 CPU
biggest LCD possible at least 20 inches large
keyboard
mouse
1 power cable

Of all the things you guys mentioned being weird... you didn't mention the power cable. He either gets to power the monitor or the machine, not both at once, unless you guys have finally re-invented Tesla's wireless power.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Had a ticket escalated from our support desk to me this morning:

"User needs password changed, wants password to be XYZ123"

Yes, my T1 put the password into the ticket :ughh:

Does seeing stupid poo poo like this for the first time get me into the cool kids club?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008

FireSight posted:

Back in my phone support days, Verizon (the ISP, not cellular) had the idea to offer a monthly fee service where a customer could call in for ANY problem with their computer, and we would help. Given how laxly they wrote the rules to start, we had to help with people who were doing poo poo like trying to torrent software, people who needed help seeing porn videos, help setting up their frigging DATING PROFILES (we had one guy call in ten times about this issue, because we didn't set it up good enough, nobody was responding!).

I had one call where a dude was trying to upload his homemade gay porn onto a yahoo group. He couldn't explain what he was looking at, so I had to use GoToAssist to view his desktop and find the file. Well... dudes webcam was on when I remoted in. He was nude, with the camera aimed at torso/crotch. I am outright forbidden to make changes to desktop settings or comment on anything on the desktop unless it directly applies to the job at hand. So I have to find this guys porn video (windows explorer was set to show a clip from the video as the icon, as a note) and upload it to the yahoo group for him, and the entire time his webcam software has an overlay of his dick sitting at the top left corner of the screen. Argh.

On another call, I had some dude who needed help getting Naked News Network videos to play. And he made me remote in and sit on his screen while he watched them "just in case there is a problem".

What ... who... Jesus all I can say to that is that my girlfriend is a counselor if you need some help dealing with the plethora of dicks, balls and other outright hosed up poo poo I'm sure you saw/had to do.

• Locked thread