Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

MJP posted:

Don't be, he was 98 and on a decline for the last few months. He was healthy for basically all of those years. He took enough vitamins every day to put ten pharmacists' kids through college. Woke up at 4 AM to be at the dealership by 5:15, before anyone else, up until the day the credit crunch killed his commercial lenders.

My grandfather passed recently after a long battle with cancer. When I went to the service, he had already been cremated, and his ashes were in this lovely, grungy, dinged-up funerary urn.

He was an accountant, and basically was THE stereotype of the fiscally-responsible accountant. He handled his own funeral arrangements while dealing with the cancer, and the urn was so battered because he spotted a deal and bought the display model.

I cried laughing so hard because it is the most accountant-grandpa thing to do in the whole world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Screenhero has been nothing but awesome for me (although I've mostly used it for pair programming)

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Demonachizer posted:

When I stopped working a few months ago, I disabled most of my accounts myself on my last day. It was pretty fun.

Yeah, I spent my last two weeks finishing up a major project (I timed my departure with the project's end date), documenting everything I could think of, then the last day was my making sure that al my accounts were disabled before I left. At the end of the day I said goodbye and my boss disabled my AD account, and that was that.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

MJP posted:

Well yeah, I was speaking more to the fact that I don't know my departure o'clock part of the equation yet. But I would be down for NYC SH/SC goondrink at some point.

In my case giving notice, keep in mind there is no other IT labor at my company, just my boss and I. The only other option is the $x00/hr consultant and hahaha hahaha no.

It's more because my boss is a good guy and such. He has known my unhappiness since they aborted hiring a replacement for the guy who fell asleep all the goddamn time. I hope they let me stick around for that last gasp at getting their ducks in a row.

Chances are they won't, because I could do the theoretical rm rf and they probably have no other reaction other than "if he goes to the competition or has been feeding them info we are hosed, term his accounts and run an audit on everything he has done on the file server and people's mailboxes in case we need to enforce our non-compete."

The produce brokerage industry is a bit cutthroat so I honestly don't blame them if they do this, it would just be unfortunate for them. Oh well.

Poor Your Boss, basically. Congrats on the job!

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

beepsandboops posted:

Are they completely hosed, or do they have some out?

They might be able to pay a data recovery company an obscene amount of money to maybe get their data back, depending on what the problem is!

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Erwin posted:

Jira Service Desk for 6 agents would be $3000 plus maintenance, or $150/month for hosted, and it sounds like they're price-sensitive. Jira's great, but their pricing model is dumb.

I customized the $10/10 users version to handle a simple helpdesk workflow, which wasn't so bad (but it takes a bit to set up)

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Rhymenoserous posted:

Literally every interview I've been on I've asked them not to contact my current employer because I don't want them to know I'm jumping ship. I've also never had them call my references, ever.

I thanked my boss for giving me a reference when I got an offer for a new job, and he had absolutely no idea what I was talking about because even though they demanded references they never called them.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Merijn posted:

A ticket came in from my manager...

:v: thing is broken, please fix it ASAP
:confused: coworker made this, better let him do it
:v: coworker is busy fulltime on other thing with a hard deadline, he can't. you gotta do it. plus, now you'll know how it works! :haw:
:confused: I don't even know where the code for thing is, let alone understand it, find the bug, or fix it.

This coworker never documents *anything*. And this is apparently taking precedence over the really really important project I was already assigned to. :suicide:

git bisect is the way to fix this (if it has ever worked before), but I'm terrified to ask whether this is in version control at all.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Storysmith posted:

Also assuming the thing that broke was in the code, and assuming the code in version control relates in any way to what is actually running.

We have a standalone internal webservice that sometimes starts responding very slowly. The cause is it making a blocking call to a bunch of servers that it needs data from; that server list and the change needed to fix it are purely configuration and persisted to the database. Digging through the code would be an exercise in red herrings.

Luckily, that server list changes incredibly infrequently, and the service itself is slated for replacement with something else Real Soon Now.

Thanks, now I'm having flashbacks to my previous job where everything was just done on the fly in production and everything would blow up sometimes.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Jerry Cotton posted:

Can't help with a problem if I don't know what the problem is. If it's an actual non-user error I'll run into it myself pretty fast. Everyone's been told more than once to stop if they get an error message they don't understand instead of clicking yes with the speed of light and then telling me something went wrong. I have enough actually business-critical work to do.

A lot of the people ITT should try being dicks: it works and is healthy. Now if I actually got paid for being part of the support chain, things might be different. Until that time, the onus is going to be on the user to provide at least some info on what's going on so that I can replicate the problem and if (I mean when) it's user error, tell them how to do it right. Because just forwarding what end users try poo poo on my lap would mean being literally the hugest dick in the world to the IT people.

Being able to very, very politely tell people to go gently caress themselves is probably the best skill I have ever learned, outside of being able to write competently.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Mustache Ride posted:

Here's a funny ticket that came in.

Sure, we'll get right on that....

At my last job, I worked in IP law, and one of the clients we had for trade-mark stuff was the COMPLETELY NOT WORK SAFE http://www.fleshjack.com/. Getting asked to unblock that page by a 60 year old woman was the funniest thing in the whole entire world.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Guys, he doesn't care about the paternity test, it doesn't matter to him. He's already said he's determined to love and raise these kids, why does it matter if they resulted from his wrigglers or the other guys?

It matters because if they aren't his then his medical history isn't relevant to them and. And that could cause some trouble in the future.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

MJP posted:

Other than bagels, smoked meat, poutine, and Au Pied du Cochon, any suggestions on stuff that simply cannot be found outside Montreal or Quebec in general?

Hello, here are some restaurants to eat at:

quote:

Pastaga (Little Italy). Lots of interesting small courses. Get the pork belly (poitrine de porcelet), and definitely try dessert. Expect to order 3-4 plates each, or have a second dinner. I haven’t tried their brunch.

Salmigondis (Little Italy). Probably my favorite restaurant, though in large part due to the outstanding service and drinks. The brunch is great, too-- the confit guinea fowl was great. Try to sit at the bar, if you can. Reservations recommended but not always necessary. Unfortunately, the desserts I’ve tried were weird and not especially tasty.

Le Comptoir (Mile-end). One of the first charcuterie places in town, and does it really well. Also does small plates, but they’re great for sharing. Definitely get the charcuterie plate. The rest of the menu is seasonal. Reservations recommended.

Lawrence (Mile-end). Fantastic brunch, just ok for dinner. They make all their cold cuts and breads/pastry in house. Everything’s great, but the pig’s trotter is excellent.

Au Pied de Cochon (Mile-end). In my opinion, overpriced and uninteresting. If you’d like the experience without reserving a month ahead, try to hunt down their food truck and get their foie gras poutine.

Fairmount Bagel (Mile-End). This is the bagel you want, and you want sesame because they’re always warm. If you must, you can go try St-Viateur (the other, inferior bagel place) which is just a couple of blocks down.

Faberge (Mile-End). Chicken and waffles, or breakfast poutine are both pretty good.

Le Chien Fumant (Mile-End). I’m hesitant to recommend it, because the service seems to be consistently bad. If you don’t mind a wait, the Chinatown squid and charcuterie plate are both great.

Kem Coba (Mile-End). Best ice cream in town. Has really interesting soft serve.

Pikolo (Downtown). Go here for coffee. It is great. Or maybe a London Fog, if coffee isn’t your thing.

Café Parvis (Downtown). The coffee isn’t quite as good as Pikolo, but the pizza is a great snack. Good pastry, too.

Bouillon Bilk (Downtown). Good, not great in my experience. Stick to their appetizers and drinks, which are quite nice-- you can get all of them to share. The lamb tartare was the highlight.

Kazu (Downtown). The salmon and tuna bowl is good, but they smaller courses like the calcium salmon are way more interesting. Don’t bother with the ramen. Expect to line up for 30-45 mins and be rushed out.

Cuisine Szechuan (Downtown). Really good, authentic chinese. The twice cooked pork, cabbage, spicy fish soup, and dan dan noodles are all great.

Lester’s (Outremont). Want smoked meat? Skip Schwartz’s. This is where it’s at.

Le Van Horne (Outremont). A bit off the beaten path. Their menu also changes frequently, but is one of the most interesting in town. Great wine pairings too. Reservations recommended. (Looks like it might be closed?)

Wilfrid sur Laurier (Outremont). The beef tartare and pork belly were both standouts. I’d get the smaller plates and plan on sharing. Not as loud as a lot of restaurants.

Leméac (Outremont). Good hardcore French bistro with a tasty brunch. The entire menu is good. The specials are often better than the standard menu. They also have maple profiteroles that aren’t on the menu. A bit loud, and the service isn’t especially personal. Laloux may be better.

Le Serpent (Old Port). Go for lunch. It’s quieter, cheaper, and excellent. If you must go at night, sit at the bar, or it gets very loud. The risotto is great, as are most of the appetizers (especially the crudi). The pasta has been hit or miss.

Le St-Urbain (Ahuntsic). Very much off the beaten path, and also has a menu that changes every week or so. Nouveau French with great wines.

Chand Palace (Park Ex). Great Indian. The vegetarian dishes, especially shahi paneer, are great.

These places seem like good bets, but I haven’t tried them.
Hostaria, Impasto, Thazard, Le Filet, Les 400 Coups, Manitoba, Nora Gray, Hotel Herman, Tuckshop, Scarpetta, GEMA, Laurea, Laloux

Want cheese? Sure you do. These are worth tracking down.
Cendrée de lune (or pleine lune)
La sauvagine
14 arpents
Riopelle
Grey Owl (goat)
Douanier
Blackburn

(Not from me, but from a friend who is very good at food who lives in Montreal)

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Oh I also legitimately didn't like Pied de Cochon, everything was way too rich for me. The Cabane a Sucre was amazing though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

mewse posted:

When I visited montreal in december our go-to spot was trois bresseures, they had great microbrew and decent poutine

Don't go here IMO, it's terrible.

• Locked thread