Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

ratbert90 posted:

I know I should be bitching, but I just upgraded our network to gigabit. OH MY GOD, I AM TRANSFERING AT 115MB/Sec. It's FLYING! :woop:

We're in the middle of a full office move to a new building. We're getting gigabit fiber pipe in the new building. It's going to blow away our current 20 meg EOC line.

In more the vein of the thread our sister company (aka the people who bought us) is insisting that we only cable (structured cabling) to what we need in the beginning as it's cheaper to have them come back and add more drops!

Because that's totally been the case in the past

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Aug 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Everyone just needs to live out the printer beating from Office Space.

One of our online editors (gently caress yeah IT support for TV) had a external HDD that kept making GBS threads out on him.

As soon as his cut was finished we yanked the thing out of the enclosure, grabbed a crowbar and let him have the first swing.

Also gently caress Final Cut Pro's mysterious General Error while rendering and exporting. Is it a corrupt render? A missing file? A hosed up a effect? Who knows! Just keep trying something until it works!

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Aug 19, 2013

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

rolleyes posted:

I'm going to combine "gently caress printers" and "gently caress users" into a "gently caress prusers".

Today I walked up to the printer and logged in (we have collection print queues so you can print from anywhere to any printer), and noticed a bright orange warning light was on. So like most people in this thread would probably do, I hit the button next to it. "Tray 1 empty". Ok, I put paper (which was in a stack next to the printer) in the tray.

So many jobs started pouring out that I walked off to find a different printer after 5 minutes. This is extra-special-stupid because you cannot send jobs to print unattended, you have to physically go to the printer, log in, select the documents you want to print from your personal collection queue, and hit print. This means every single one of those print jobs was started by someone too dumb to spot a bright orange warning LED or, if they did, too dumb to figure out what to do next.

gently caress disc printers and the people who request 30 DVDs and leave them at their desk for the next 6 months

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

nitrogen posted:

We used SKYPE until 2010.

The development team here uses Skype for interviews with remote clients which isn't a problem.

The company that bought us is obsessed with using Skype for weekly meetings (they're in another state). They have a protocol in place that says we have to send them a Speed Test result every time there's a call and confirmation that we're using the latest version.

:jerkbag:

Needless to say our VP of Ops told them to cram it.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Dick Trauma posted:

Congratulations!

If anyone wanted to know which company has the worst voice-directed customer support I can tell you: It's Pitney Bowes. Our postage meter stopped connecting via the analog line so they sent us a replacement. This one won't even detect a carrier. I call their support number and it's voice directed. It's taken me a total of ten tries to get two successful calls, because when I say "technical support" I get every other possibility (Ex: "Did you say 'sales'?") and when it falls back to a voice/keypad combo and I hit 2 for tech support it just drops the call.

Ours stopped doing that a while ago. They blamed our switch to VOIP even though it was plugged into a POTS line that our fax machine runs off.

Tier 1 transferred me to the sales department by accident instead of Tier 2. :downs:

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Dick Trauma posted:

I used to manage an Avaya Definity system via one of those little dedicated terminals and the thing was rock solid. IP Office on the other hand... terrible piece of poo poo.

We're switching to IP Office Server Edition soon from our terrible hosted provider.

Avaya was really the only solution for us because we're a mainly Mac house and Mitel has limited OS X support.

I foresee a whole ton of fun in my future supporting this.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

~Coxy posted:

Funnily enough the beachball/pinwheel traces its lineage back to a spinning MO disc.

Our editors so lovingly refer to it as "the spinny ball of death"

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
My daily dose of "you've got to be loving kidding me"

that's a tic tac

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Nothing like being told that once a network is set up and running you don't have to worry about it! It just works! It can be hardware that I have no experience in administering because it just works!

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Magos Technicus!

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Caged posted:

A ticket was submitted…

To get a thunderbolt network adapter for my work-issued 11" MacBook Air. And was approved and will be here tomorrow.

I must still be in the honeymoon period or something because I'm not used to asking for tools required to do my job better and having the request approved with no fuss or questioning or "how about this one that's cheaper and only requires minimal loving around to get working".

I sent off an e-mail to the COO (who I now directly report to after my old boss switched back to being an editor) asking for approval to buy a 13' MacBook Air for myself because I'm not at my desk half the time. Immediate approval. Right after an e-mail back saying he wanted to "discuss further" the Avid workstations I asked for approval on.

Also nothing like getting handed a 4TB drive to do data recovery on because my old boss thought he had something important on it. Right after it was checked and wiped.

111 hours to go :allears:

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
I didn't see this when finishing up the thread and all the easy config AP talk made me remember.

https://meraki.cisco.com/lp/free-demo

For the price of sitting through an hour webinar and getting harassed by a Meraki rep every once in a while you can get your hands on a Meraki AP (don't know which model) with a three year license. Only "catch" is you have to use your organization's e-mail to register for the webinar. Pretty fair trade I'd say.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Crowley posted:

Uh oh

Oh right, They're upgrading a studio from SDI to IP.

400 cables is going to be reduced to 40. It'll take the guys a full week to remove the redundant wiring - mostly because they take extra care to cut the right cables.

We did something similar except on a much much smaller scale. We replaced our rolling HDCAM deck with a small rack and patch panel in our server room. No more messing with RS-422 and what SDI cable goes to where; our post team is very happy.

Granted we just switched to Avid so we've got Cat6a cable out the rear end; something like 600+ drops between the two networks. Patching that was a pain.

Also I just got sent this. Physically painful to look at.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

MF_James posted:

Did all of your racks just vomit? That looks like a nightmare of epic proportions.

*edit* I also just saw the hole in the wall on the left, is there also cable vomit coming from there?

vvv-poo poo I didn't even realize that there's a raised floor!

Not mine thankfully. I'd be ashamed if it was.

It was sent by a coworker from a friend who works at a major cable network.

This is what my cable management looks like. I can't wait to get rid of Final Cut Pro so I can remove those green ones. The loose cable at the top was because the network engineer was freaking out about something pulling POE so he had me unpatch it.

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Apr 4, 2014

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Moey posted:

I have never known their sales people to not be obnoxious. Don't ever download any of their free stuff.

Whats going on with those kinked patch panels?

This is what I did at my old place for access layer.

Ortronics, a "requirement" from our network engineer. One of many many silly ones.

And NZAmoeba, that's because our core switch (6506) is not racked yet and it's running to that.

Ask me about working with a (contracted) network engineer in New York while in Maryland.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Just had a ton of people fall for the fake Google Docs sign in.

Time to go through and suspend a ton of accounts.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
A forwarded e-mail came in...

Looks like the CEO of our parent company fell for the fake Google Docs phishing scam. Possibly from the fake e-mail that was sent from one of my compromised accounts!

I mean it's just so convincing!

I'm going to get the approval to make everybody turn on two factor authentication.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Mercurius posted:

Seems pretty normal for what my co-workers send to each other, sadly, so I can kind of see why people are falling for it.

I mean the log in page does look legit so that I can understand. But since we're a Google Apps house and people use Drive a ton they should know what a legit Google Drive e-mail looks like.

...who am I kidding, I'm just glad I caught it before more accounts got nailed :eng99:

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
One of our printers started throwing an error code so we put a sign on it while we figured it out.

Someone made a wonderful addition.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Yeah I'm wondering too. Be a real lovely way to get let go.

"You posted a meme on the coffee machine, pack your things"

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Ozz81 posted:

Tying into this, why does it seem like only maybe 25% of Mac users actually know what they're doing with their Mac? I've got a client with a user that ran into some issues after she tried to give herself admin permissions on a Mac - rebooted it after the change, now her account can't log in. The MSP I work for doesn't work with many Macs (yeah, kinda stupid) and we don't have resources that know things in-depth, usually it's an install/uninstall of a program or something small. I sent instructions I'd found over to the main manager, figuring that since he uses a Mac daily, he'd know something about it or be able to get another Mac user there to assist.

Nope, his response was literally "this is beyond my experience level, let's get this user a new Mac setup instead. By the way, can you help install all her programs? :downs:"

Jesus H Christ on a pogo stick, LEARN HOW TO DO MORE THAN LOG INTO THE GODDAMN MAC YOU HAVE

I should be amazed that she managed to lock herself out of her account since you literally check a box to make yourself an admin but at this point I'm not surprised.

I once had a user corrupt OpenDirectoryConfig.framework in /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks and prevent himself from logging in. That was a fun fix.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Raymn posted:

Anyone familiar with Apple Remote Desktop? Is there a way to rename or label computers on lists you make besides using the colored labels that Apple has? We name our computers based on asset tags which doesn't help me figure out whose is what without looking that up.

You can show four columns of Computer Information. However you have to enter that information locally on the computer. System Preferences -> Sharing -> Remote Management -> Computer Settings.

Pain in the rear end depending on how many machines you have but from what I know of ARD it's your only option. I tried editing the plist file but since it's pulling the name from Bonjour it just overwrites it.

*edit* bah, beaten

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Raymn posted:

Ah! I saw those fields in ARD but they were blank and I didn't realize I could edit them on the target machine. A bit harder than doing it locally but I don't have that many machines to manage so I'll spend the morning taking care of it. Thanks to both of you!

You might be able to push it out remotely by futzing with com.apple.RemoteDesktop.plist which has the following lines in it. Files resides in /Library/Preferences

code:
<key>Text1</key>
<string>Test</string>
<key>Text2</key>
<string></string>
<key>Text3</key>
<string></string>
<key>Text4</key>
<string></string>
You could add the fields on your local machine in System Preferences (assuming it has the same Remote Management settings as the client machines) and then make a copy of the plist and edit it to have the custom fields you need. Then push it out via ARD.

Though it will probably be quicker to do it locally.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Ozz81 posted:

On the upside, I'm not so stubborn or unwilling to learn, so I got to set up a Mac Mini start to finish using only my Google-fu and an enormous amount of luck/patience. The hardest part was waiting for the slow-rear end Adobe CS4 suite and Office to install, the rest was pretty straightforward. As someone who's near illiterate with Macs, I can attest that if you've got the ambition to learn it, it's a LOT less difficult than it looks or seems.

That is true up until a point. When something goes wrong with a Mac it often goes wrong and troubleshooting is like voodoo half the time. Granted there are tools like Applejack and Diskwarrior that remove some of the headache because they are both godsends.

But sometimes poo poo goes wacky like that incident I mentioned when the OD framework disappeared on a machine after a crash thus preventing a user from logging in. I reset the password through single user mode and still nothing. After searching through Console I ended up seeing an error being thrown in that framework and go check; totally empty. I managed to bring it back by copying the framework from my stock image but there was nothing about that error on the internet and the Apple Support Forums can be a total joke.

Though I guess that's why AppleCare exists.

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Apr 17, 2014

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

ZetsurinPower posted:

Speaking of this, do you guys have any preference for cloud backup providers? I back up to an external hard drive and I sync some of my more important encrypted data to DropBox, but I'm looking for something more robust.

Carbonite seems to have the best pricing, but all of these services have really lovely ToS that force you to waive your right to a class action lawsuit

EDIT: actually Crashplan has the same pricing as Carbonite for individual use

I use Crashplan. I haven't had any issue with it and it's super easy to set up.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Raymn posted:

I was just wondering to myself if there was a way set this through CLI since that would be the easiest but I doubt I can. Thanks again for your help!

Yeah that's what got me looking. You could probably do everything through the CLI using nano and ssh but everything I found pointed towards editing plist files.

And Inspector_666 that's pretty much my experience. Sure your computer will get fixed but the Genius Bar is the definition of overkill. Loud fan? Oh let's replace the logic board and the hard drive and everything under the sun, you have data backups right?

I only send people/computers to the Apple Store if it requires significant hardware repair as we're not a self servicing shop yet.

*edit* Entropic he means VoIP phones that have a ethernet cable coming out of the back for a converged network. Our Avaya phones are like that.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
I wonder how this monstrosity started out

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

That looks like all my (clean) racks... :smith:

But I'm sure yours are in some sort of lockable temperature controlled room

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
A content filter came in.

And immediately started flagging bittorrent traffic. Some idiot put uTorrent on his work laptop and left about eight torrents active in the office. The filter flagged something like 4500 sessions before I tracked him down.

Needless to say him and I had a little conversation.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Nothing like coming in and going to log into the content filter and finding you've been locked out.

Our parent company (who recently bought us) are based in NYC and they insist on using their MSP (based in NY) for everything...including support for our office in Maryland. They also insist on me not being allowed to know any of the logins to any of the Cisco devices sitting in my server room. I mean granted I'm no network engineer (yet) but I've been the IT Manager here for three years so if something goes horribly wrong I would like to know the logins so I can at least LOOK at the configuration.

And if something goes down hard? Well looks like we're waiting for someone to get on a train down here! My attempts at getting a local MSP to do our network install fell on deaf ears.

I can't wait to hear their reason for why I'm not allowed to log into the content filter (which has been throwing false positives for eDonkey).

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

sfwarlock posted:

Worse. We had potential clients visiting, one was pregnant, and they decided against purchasing.

Maybe he wanted to quit but didn't want to deal with the hassle of putting in his two weeks.

Suicide by HR

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
An e-mail came in from a recruiter

quote:

Requirements:
  • Must be able to work independently.
  • Must have a high sense of urgency.
  • Solid ability to communicate effectively and patiently with seniors, staff, management, and vendors.
  • A broad technical background which can be a mix of hobby and professional.
  • Eagerness to learn.
  • Takes pride in work and work product.
  • They must be mature and level headed.
  • They need to know when to escalate to corporate IT or a vendor.
  • Solid background in technical support
  • Computer support/repair, phone systems, email, etc

Responsibilities:

Literally everything. This position supports just about everything technology related in the community. Cisco VOIP phone system, door access control systems, wireless infrastructure, computer/printer support, emergency call system, Point-of-Sale system, TV/cable feeds, LAN/WAN networking, Cisco routers, Cisco switches, wander alert systems, wireless phones, HVAC management systems, A/V event support, server support, Windows desktop O/S, Windows server O/S, and resident computer support and training.

Note from the manager:

We have vendors that will lend support and training to this position. We would like this person to have some areas of expertise. But where they don’t have expertise, they will work with the vendor to effect a solution. Also, the person currently in this position will be working out of the McLean office, so he can provide guidance and some level of support while they get proficient.

Selling Points: This position is the principal technology support person for a “company” of 200 people at Fox Hill. The grounds are extremely high-end, well kept, and frankly, beautiful. This position is exposed to many different technologies every day and no two days are ever the same. It is not a “desk job” and they will frequently be out and about the campus. This position is supported by corporate IT and our vendors. There is significant opportunity for formal and on-the-job training. They will be exposed to everything from Cisco Unity phone systems to high end auditorium audio/visual systems. This position will be the “owner” of all the technology.

Ideal Candidates: 1) experienced technology (A/V world, corporate IT world, IT services world) professional looking to take ownership of a wide array of technologies in a role where every day is different and not tied to a desk; or 2) a relatively inexperienced technology professional who has broad (not deep) experience who is looking to get experience with many different technologies.

Our ideal candidate is probably a senior help desk person:
1. who isn’t looking to be a CIO in 5 years
2. who doesn’t want to be tied to a desk all day
3. who likes a lot of variety
4. who loves technology and wants to learn
5. who likes be the on-site technology guru
6. who works well with others who have little technology experience
7. who takes pride and ownership in his/her systems
8. who places value on the “second paycheck” (working with seniors and supporting others who appreciate their hard work)

Sure let me apply to that right away. My favorite is the HVAC Management thrown in there

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

GreenNight posted:

Sounded like a lot of sarcasm to me, but he still wants a new PC.

Sarcasm or not forward it along to his supervisor. Teach him to mess with IT :unsmigghh:

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Che Delilas posted:

It sounds like a joke to me, something to brighten the IT guys' day. Probably...

That's just the user's plan. It's all a joke see.

He can really run 7 torrents at the same time.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

blackswordca posted:

So a two week notice was given in.

The owner I talked to actually swore pretty loudly and tried to match what I was making to keep me.

I didnt accept his offer.

I am staying for the two weeks, but I will be getting my vacation paid out so thats an extra 5 weeks of pay there. I start the new job June 16

I was catching up with this thread today and as soon as I saw you were in the references stage a few pages back I was hoping for this post. Congrats!

A three year review is coming up on Friday. I wonder what the best way to say that our parent company has taken away the things I'm interested in doing (brought in their own MSP from NYC to do our network install and admin it and pretty much cut me out) and is slowly removing all responsibility from my department.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

SubjectVerbObject posted:

"Your mission is to proceed to the data center, pick up the network's trail, follow it, learn what you can along the way. When you find the wiring closet, infiltrate the closet by, ahem, whatever means available, and terminate the cable run."

"Terminate, the cable?"

"He's out there operating without any decent restraint, totally beyond the pale of any acceptable cable management. And he is still in the field, pulling wire."

"Terminate, with extreme prejudice."

I love the smell of a broadcast storm in the morning

:clint:

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

AlternateAccount posted:

Would this be a good thread to ask about the software you all use for your tickets to come in?

Our company uses ServiceNow(moved from Remedy, which wasn't loved by anyone) for both internal and external issues, and external stuff is probably 99.9% of the volume. There are separate teams to handle each, and since ServiceNow is kind of a clunky ugly monster, I'd like to make the case for moving Internal Help Desk over to a different and wholly separate system.

Right now I am kind of leaning toward Zendesk or Mojo, but I'd appreciate any advise or anecdotes.

Another vote for Zendesk from me. We use it at my current company and it's great. Having people just e-mail tickets instead of having to log in every time is great.

It goes down every once in a blue moon but their support staff are super on the ball.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Anybody have any recommendations regarding Google Apps Enterprise backup? The two companies I've found are Backupify and Spanning.

I'd love some insight on Google Apps backup and archiving.

Also DickTrauma :smith:

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

BaseballPCHiker posted:

This is the way to go. It sucks because some businesses are in that painful spot between to big for a simple Quickbooks setup and to small for a full fledged accounting software suite like great plains/microsoft dynamics and whatever else is out there.

We use both Dynamics/NAV/whatever the hell it's called and Quickbooks. They're planning on switching over to Dynamics fully "eventually".

The best was when they switched to a hosted Dynamics server (from the local one I set up) without telling me and still ask me to support it.

Also seriously people, don't hit reply all to an all staff e-mail. Please.

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jun 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
A meeting invite came in! Reps from our parent companies are coming to the office to meet with the departments heads.

I wonder what they want.

quote:

They have requested to meet with the additional department heads to collectively discuss and to get your opinion on how we can help cut costs across the board.

...oh :smith:

• Locked thread