Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

blackswordca posted:

dumb sales stuff

My last job was similar to this, except there was no sales department, my boss just pocketed anything we made off hardware sales as far as I could tell. Of course, this made me only replace/fix what was called for and not shove new computers and equipment down people's throats unless it was required. I think I even recommended the user buy their own equipment in some cases.

I really hated that job, but I liked my clients.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
We have some third party people that access our terminal servers and our imaging system. Both require separate non-linked logins, as one would expect.

I just got a very angry email from one of these people because our system isn't set up to remember her credentials.

I broke out the overly polite passive aggressive approach for this one.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
My boss went to visit one of the branches a month or so ago to clear up some issues and switch their ISP. While there, he must have told some of the people there that they don't need to hang onto email that's 3 years old "just in case" because if an emergency arises, we can pull an email from backups.

One woman in that office must have taken this as "use backups as my personal archiving tool." I have gotten 3 requests in the past 2 weeks from her along the lines of "can you pull an email that was in my sent items from sometime in april or may. I think the email address was xxx@xxx.com."

When I ask her about these requests, she says she deleted all the emails. Sure enough, there is nothing older than midway through June. I had to nicely explain to her that the backups aren't there for her personal convenience and that loading up our old journaling databases is tedious and that she can't just delete everything willy nilly and send us multiple requests a week asking us to pull it for her. I'm not sure I got through to her.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Che Delilas posted:

Just got another write-up from my boss over taking too many sick days. This is Mr. "I'm writing you up for unexcused absences, your work is barely adequate, and if we lose you, this project is going to fall behind by 6 months."

I obviously didn't take that first warning too seriously. This time bossman looked pretty worried and told me straight out that he has talked this project up a lot to the big bosses, and that if we don't deliver in the near future he's going to have some real explaining to do.

I'm incredibly tempted to just put in my notice now and live off savings while I look for a new gig.

Put in notice and see how much he flounders and offers you the world. Then still decline because it's all empty promises.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Sham I Am posted:

user: I need access to this module! Here is the email from our C-Level saying I can have it
me: What specific transactions in the module do you need access to?
user: I don't know, I guess just give me all of them.
me: I can't give you access to all of them, could you please tell me which ones you specifically need?

User then goes to the C-level, who calls my boss, who calls me and tells me to give the user whatever access they want. At this point, it does not matter how much I argue, or what convincing I attempt, the user gets everything eventually.

drat am I tired of this happening. You would think, after the last time a similar request played out and that user took down our production system for 6 hours, that management would learn. If anyone knows how to convince the powers that be that security does not mean that everyone has access to everything if they ask, could you clue me in please?

Get it in writing/text/email from your boss to give "whatever they want" as far as permissions go. Then attempt to determine what exactly they want with them one more time, once again getting it all in writing. After giving them everything because that's that they ask for, save all of this in a folder on desktop labeled "I Told You So". Break it out when things go up in flames.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I vaguely recall having a drunken discussion with an acquaintance of mine a month or so ago about a position that might become available working for archdiocese schools in the area. I must have been really interested because he sent me a message yesterday that the position just got approved and I should send my resume in. It would basically be support for several of the schools in the area.

I'll probably spruce up my resume and send it their way and see what kind of response I get. My pal told me the salary range and it could possibly be an extra 10K over what I'm making now.

I don't hate my current job in the least bit, but I do like the possibility of a sizeable pay bump. I'll see how I can play this out.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
:yotj: I think

Following up on my last post, went to interview today and it went amazingly well. I feel like they had already intended on offering me the position before I even stepped in the door. It will be a much broader scale than where I am now, servicing local archdiocese schools and any archdiocese associated offices. Some driving, some remote, I'm praying it's more remote than anything. Miles comped, issued an iphone and a "mobile device" of my choosing (Macbook air, tablet, netbook), +25% pay increase. Since it's the archdiocese, it's stable and no shortage of money or budget.

I'm going to wait a week to give them an answer. It's probably a yes, but I will talk with my current boss regarding it as I like this job well enough, it's just an issue of money. Still having some anxiety over the idea of potentially telling my current employment I will be on my way out. After some drinks, boats, and beach time this weekend, I should be feeling better.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Sprechensiesexy posted:

I've been lurking this thread and the previous one but this ticket was a nice excuse to finally start posting:
Apparently my company has started taking terminations literally.

It's pretty bad when they are putting dogs in manager positions these days.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
:yotj: is official. Notice given at current and job accepted at next gig.
I was asked by new boss what mobile device I wanted. Let's hope I don't regret taking the Surface Pro option.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

pixaal posted:

We were talking about extension cords in walls and stuff here is a picture of what I found today.

apparently a teacher thought it would be a good idea to run a cable in the ceiling, or maybe it was a janitor, who really knows but this isn't the least safe thing I've seen. Tons of with a power strip in a power strip in an extension cord to connect 6 student computers because they HAVE to have the computers on the left side of the room instead of the right side.

I thankfully don't support the school side that much and mostly do IT in the city buildings.

edit: yes I used paint to edit out some labels on the computer.

I feel like the person at fault here probably went and visited some super trendy architect or engineering firm and saw how "modern" it looked with lines running up pillars to the ceiling or something. :v: "but now there's no tripping hazard!"

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I have a "that guy" that is guilty of
Subject: CAN ONE OF YOU GUYS CALL ME I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THE SCREEN IT KEEPS SHOWING A POP UP AND I DON'T KNOW IF I SHOULD PRES[outlook cuts off the rest]
Body: [blank]

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

They are trying to spell out a secret message to you.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Apparently it is fantasy draft day.

Apparently this affects our ability to get poo poo done.

Who the gently caress drafts in the middle of the day on a Wednesday?

E: forgot season starts tomorrow. Their fault for waiting this long.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
2.5 days left at current job. Somehow the word is still getting around the office as people who are just finding out are only now coming up to my desk saying they will miss me. Feels weird leaving a place I actually liked.

Doing cleanup and organizing things for next guy is a pain in the rear end.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Agrikk posted:

Do not do this. There isn't enough time to do it properly so whatever you do will be incomplete and the next guy will be mocking your work regardless of what you do, so meh.

Instead you need to be kicking back, saying your goodbyes and "making yourself available as a resource" for people who will be transitioning your workload for you.

You have 2.5 days left. You should be doing nothing that could even be remotely considered "a pain in the rear end".

New guy starts tomorrow, thankfully, so it will probably be me watching over his shoulder. The most important of what I do consists of end of day processing, which starts at close and takes an hour and is step by step running reports and macros. I will be showing him the ins and outs of that to make his life easier, as it can be intimidating as hell when you first start and was definitely my main source of anxiety early on at this job.

I'm probably too nice, but whatever, they treated me really good here. Boss bringing us out for lunch at a nice place near here on Friday as a thanks and goodbye meal. I'm sure it will be the tits.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
First day at new job. I get an actual office, and it has a window with a nice view. Was brought onto the roof by the engineering and infrastructure guy so he could show me the directional microwave setups, which scared the crap out of me because there are no real guard rails up there and I am terrified of heights. Everything is a massive step up in terms of scope, budgets, and number of heads. I'd be lying if I didn't say I was nervous as all hell.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Nearing end of my first week at the new job.
Already I know who is a jerk and will push their responsibilities off on you then refuse to answer when you're in the thick of it and no idea what to do. But hey, now I know a lot more about fog.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Count me in for bottle opener use.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Cross posting the poo poo out of this:

:frogsiren:BOTTLE OPENER ORDER FORM:frogsiren:

We can't split orders between sizes, and everyone OVERWHELMINGLY chose 32g, so we're going with that. Price would be $23.45 plus shipping if we got at least 25, to $18.45 plus shipping if we got over 100.

Timeline:
Close out form for orders Nov 1st
Collect payments by Nov 7
Create final order and submit by Nov 11

If all goes well, you should get it in the mail in the first two weeks of December (Domestic). I will work with international recipients.

PM with questions.

BTW: We can only pick one design, so this is a vote. Winning one will be ordered.

Do we have a picture of what these look like minus design? I was trying to find the original post with the info, but no luck.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Got the best ticket today from a very scared teacher that had tried to google "cuckold" for a class, but did a very poor spelling of it, yielding "cockhold."

Common sense tells you what her google results ended up being.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

toe shoes posted:

I'm not entirely convinced that 'cuckold' would have worked much better.

That's actually what she was looking for. Why? I have no clue.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

blackswordca posted:

So a ticket came in..,

user has been out of the office for a week and they cant access their user folder. I check the server and the folder is actually gone. Shadowcopy is on but not doing anything so I'll need to pull from backups. The users folder has been missing since Thursday... The day the account sr decided to free up some space on the fileserver..

Why do I have a feeling his method of "freeing up space" was sort by last modified date and decided that a week old is safe enough to trash?

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Spending my first day off of the holidays at a high school configurating iPads. Merry Christmas kids, enjoy your newly locked down portable devices when you return. Also, screw you 3 kids that enabled activation lock

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

That whole fiasco was really stupid. It was literally the students uninstalling the mdm profile then loading back to defaults. Our apple rep was actually overseeing it and when we last met him he assured us they have a solution that should be coming out shortly.
That and these kids are not as resourceful

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Advantage of working for the Catholic Church? I get off from the 20th through the 2nd. Any work done between those 2 days is straight comp time.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Got a call from the computer teacher at one of my school, she couldn't install flash for some reason. I get a standalone installer and put it on network for her. It works with no issue. She wraps up the call be informing me that 20 brand new computers arrived there today that she wasn't expecting.

Apparently the parents club at the school went behind my back and ordered computers on their own instead of the ones I quoted. I fear for what's in those boxes.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

GreenNight posted:

XP Media Center Edition. Good luck.

Part of me wants this so I can turn around and say I can't do anything with that and they should have consulted me before making the purchase or taken my quote which was at wholesale price with something around $50 off per machine.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I am now the least popular person at a high school of freshly supervised iPads. I think I saw my picture in a student's locker with devil horns and a poorly drawn moustache.

I might start parking my car farther away when I visit this school.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

JohnnyCanuck posted:

I give those kids a week at most before they find a way around whatever you've done to lock down the iPads.

Knowing the administration here, for every kid that succeeds, their iPad will be confiscated and replaced with a 10 year old dell vostro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Potato Alley posted:

loving fixed. I am so tired of Trend's bullshit. We're testing Eset's stuff, and if it's even marginally simple to manage and push out we're switching all our clients. Trend isn't as bad as McAfee, I'll grant you that, but in the 4 years I've been dealing with it, all it's done is tell me when I have a virus. Not fix it you understand, it's like the engineer in Galaxy Quest just going "heeeyyyy, guysssss, they tell me that you've got a virus, so....good luck with that".

The only problem I've had with ESET remote admin is sometimes the push installs will bomb out for reasons you wouldn't even expect and the install log won't really tell you why.

• Locked thread