Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Sickening posted:

Please update your voice mail message immediately to include all 4 points- Name, with "company", will return your call, for immediate assistance contact the "company" office at (999) 999-9999.

My company tried this. I signed up for Google Voice and said "I got a new cell number, here you go" and gave them that. I met the asinine requirement for a voicemail message with the added (and amazing) benefit that I can turn on Do Not Disturb to filter out everything work-related.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Khisanth Magus posted:

The local university, which has the best benefits I've ever seen, has an open developer position that pays $10k more than I'm making working here...

Regardless of the preceding story (but especially because of it), you should apply for this post-haste.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Godsped posted:

Measures to reduce support calls:
Step 1

I was the only person in my theory/audiation classes who could ever get that goddamn program working. It almost singlehandedly pointed me towards IT rather than music. Even with instructions like that, MacGAMUT can still go get hosed.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Alien Arcana posted:

Please tell me you actually put the phrase "rear end in a top hat tax" on the invoice.

okay that would actually be a terrible idea but still

Not to continue a derail, but a coworker of mine tells a story of a previous employer who had a normal labor rate, plus a "best" rate that was about 20% higher, to be used in the case of assholes.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

teethgrinder posted:

...am I missing something obvious or is this as stupid as it sounds?
Is he using a new registrar but still has some of his DNS records hosted on your system? He might need the IPs for glue.

Or I'm missing something too.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Mierdaan posted:

With all the Kronos talk, does anyone run a purely web based, AD-integrated time clock product that doesn't totally suck? We need to replace our crappy thick client app from the 1990s.

I have been researching some right now. Most are crap. I'd been looking at AsureForce, but their sales rep for my area is truly the most insufferable dickhead I've ever talked to. After three or four emails wherein I was told "just sign the quote already" (which we hadn't even approved yet), he decided that my request to see part of the program in action (you know, rather than dropping thousands of dollars on it completely sight-unseen) was clearly an attempt to scam him into giving away the software for free. He directly accused me of such and decided to cancel our written quote.

In short, gently caress Asure with the longest stick possible. At least reps pushing Kronos are capable of selling their goddamned product without tripping over their own egos.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

KennyTheFish posted:

You could try shovelling money at Cisco

You have to use the Cisco MoneyShovel™ 7900. Otherwise the licensing doesn't work right.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Loose Ifer posted:

So anyone in the midwest have any bones they wanna throw my way I've got a neat little resume.
If you know Macs I'm aware of an opening you may want to take a look at. Send a PM if you can, or let me know a way to reach you.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009
There's a SEO "service"/spammer that frequently blasts an advertisement to my work email (and a few of my coworkers), and every time the email opens with "Dear Sir and/or Madam."

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

mad.radhu posted:

Yeah it's been vexing us for a few months. It happens on multiple machines, to multiple users, and there isn't any real commonality between them besides Office 365. We don't use outlook. One was running 10.8, One had 10.9.1. One was fine for months, then suddenly prompted for reentering credentials, and it's been fine for about a month. Like I mentioned one had it happen every morning for three days (and counting, actually.) One was a Macbook Pro, two of them have been Airs. If I had any other things I could try I would have done that and wouldn't have put in a ticket.
We've had users experience that same thing on Outlook 14.3.9 as well as Mail.app. One person got it to go away by opening Calendar and removing all of the travel time entries on events. That would only help for your 10.9.x users through, and would be a long shot.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Collateral Damage posted:

11" macbook air is the only sub-13" laptop I know of that isn't a complete piece of crap, and even then it's really only good as a citrix client and web browser.
It does a pretty great job running Windows 7 and 8.1 though. We had a client with a few users that couldn't use Macs with their software config (the client was all-Mac, on 13" Airs) so we threw Win 7 Pro on there so the hardware warranties/refresh cycle stayed the same.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

piratepilates posted:

So an email went out through a case today.

By me.

And by by me, I mean it had my signature in it but was sent by someone else in my team while the case was assigned to me.

I have no idea why he did it, I wasn't here yesterday but he definitely saw me in here today, it was near the end of the day too, and the live date isn't for another two or three weeks so I don't know what was so time critical about it.

The real kicker though is that the email was asking for information from the client, information that is right at the top of the case description.

Jeeeeeeeesus. I'd be livid if someone pulled that poo poo. It's one thing if you have a weird ticket system that signs emails for you based on the assignment (ours does, which is insane), but it's absolutely asinine if they manually stuck your name on their own message.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009
:downs: I wrapped it in foil so the files don't fall out! :downs:

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009
Not really a ticket, just a really scummy email from Cisco/Meraki.

I did the Meraki "free AP for watching a sales presentation and talking to a rep" today. I even stuck around and listened to the whole thing even though it was basically someone reading the website and demonstrating it. Before I could even call the rep afterward, he emailed me to say "sorry, I see here that you didn't show up. If you want to sign up for one in the future let me know." I replied that I was there (and could prove it since I asked a question and took a screenshot of the reply), and of course he's no longer answering.

Aside from an obvious ploy to avoid having to send the actual AP because they probably got more people attending than they expected, I'm not sure what to make of it. I know most companies are lovely on a regular basis, but what the gently caress?

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Volmarias posted:

Tweet this at them, watch their marketers get into a tizzy. Your AP will be overnighted.

I may do this if the guy sticks to his "no AP for you" line. I heard back from him this morning, but even with a screenshot taken during the presentation of an answer to my question, he's claiming I was a "No Show."

The worst part is that I was genuinely excited about their management interface. The stuff we sell and configure now is like pulling teeth, and the demo showed them configuring site-to-site VPN with a checkbox. It's hard to stay enthusiastic though when you get directly accused of being dishonest.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009
For those who we're looking for an update re: Meraki shenanigans, I ended up tweeting them and about 15 minutes later they "were able to make the change" and record that I attended their sales thing. Then I called the guy to confirm my address and he never called back.

So I guess that's still a maybe? I'm not too concerned at this point. It would be nice to play around with in the shop but I'm pretty much convinced I don't want to rely on this guy for anything related to actual business.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009
A spam email came in, complete with a warning from the mail server about the attachment containing "W32/Trojan.MNWL-4927." Our first-tier guy then forwarded it individually to almost everyone in the company asking "is this attachment something you were expecting? I don't know what it is."

God drat it.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

evol262 posted:

It doesn't matter. You need new certs anyway for visitors to trust your site.

How would people know? A few of our clients are getting re-keyed certs with the same dates from their CAs.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

At one of my companies clients, it was hot the last few days so they left the windows open over the course of the weekend because the building would not start the AC, similarly the main network equipment room has no cooling so that door was too left open.

So come today we get a ticket and I paraphrase

:psyduck::parrot:

Arrived onsite and verified issue as described.
Installed several bird deterrents in office near server closet.
Issue resolved; closed ticket.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I've had to do the restore with Crashplan. It took forever (well as close to forever as 1.8TB takes over crap DSL) but I recovered everything.

It's not bad on a faster connection. We run an in-house CrashPlan PROe server and it restores at maybe three-quarters the speed of a straight copy. I'd assume it would be similar over the Internet.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Inspector_666 posted:

"My wireless is slow."

Well, yeah, because you have a 1/.5 DSL plan.
We had multiple clients with 30-50 users on the same regional-cable-provider's cheapest possible business connection (I think 5/1 maybe) at one point. One of them still doesn't have anything faster. I'm baffled.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Inspector_666 posted:

The apartment this is in is worth 8 digits, easy.
"I'm so sorry to hear your connection is slow. I tell you what - my connection at home is fantastic. You can live move in there, and I'll just live here since it would be sitting empty otherwise."

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

blackswordca posted:

so... one of the owners asked me to stay after for a couple of minutes so he could do my wage review, he had one guy he was talking to and wanted to get me done as I was the last. The couple of minutes turned into much longer. So I hung around the office till he finished with the first guy, and he snuck out the back door without a word.

Im going home and having some scotch

Wear the same clothes and be at the office before him tomorrow. Look hungry and tired.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

GreenNight posted:

the day when Office Online is down
We call these "weekdays."

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

jim truds posted:

Poor people steal, can't hire them. That is just smart job creator logic.
A previous employer of mine got in some major poo poo a year or two after I quit because of that very same logic. They ran a credit check on all of their hourly employees (who had provided enough relevant info to do so as part of their employment) without anyone's permission. I never heard exactly what the settlement was, which I'm sure was a part of the settlement.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

wa27 posted:

An email came in from my CEO.

It was stuck on the Configuring Windows Update screen but fixed itself by the time I stopped what I was doing and drove to the office. She had left for a two-hour meeting anyway.

You know sometimes a please or thank you can go a long way.
I love stuff that fixes itself through a small application of patience.

"Your computer seems to be working normally, can you please describe to me in detail what issue you're experiencing?" Then watch them get angry because they made a fool of themselves and you've been perfectly polite the whole time.

It's even better if you can fix it remotely and then you find out that someone stopped working for hours waiting for you to fix an already-fixed issue.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009
That strikes me as a decision made by a petty sales manager who somehow got himself included in the meeting where the decommissioning process was being discussed.

:smugbert: "If those customers aren't going to keep paying us forever then they should get nothing! It's our software that backed it up, why should they get to use that data ever again?

Sonic Dude fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Aug 19, 2014

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009
A ticket came in ... and then I cleaned out my entire queue because it's my last day.

New job starts on Monday! :yotj:

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

Is Autotask still janky as poo poo to use? I last used it a couple of years ago and couldn't stand it.

It gets worse with every update, I think. For example, they integrated change management, which my company didn't use because we were very small and they'd be like 1 person each. However you can't disable them, and just by creating an incident off of a problem ticket, it automatically assumes you want to make change requests with your 0 available approval boards.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Che Delilas posted:

Please tell me you just deleted all your open tickets instead of reassigning them or putting them back into the unassigned pool.

Please?

I closed that poo poo. :smug:

In actuality, I started handing off new stuff to the person who was taking over for me when I put in my notice. I only had a few open tickets today and they were ones I knew I could finish up.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009
If what the company did was truly illegal, and it was Billy's job to tell them (which is unlikely in most business relationships), then maybe he'd face some liability. But if he followed company policy and the company dropped the ball, I can't see how it would be his fault. Yes, the company acted unethically, but so did my last company. It still took me 2+ years to :yotj: and that was after I decided to be ok with taking a step down career-wise in the interest of working somewhere with a more-lucrative ladder to climb.

Anyway, if there's a legality issue, it's probably the client's statutory responsibility to retain the documents and not Billy's company.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Gerdalti posted:

How the hell do you get people to read emails? I've been doing this 14 years and haven't found the secret.

At my old job where I had an expense card, I would buy $5 Starbucks gift cards and give them out with a line in the email saying "the first person to reply to me with the word banana (or something) wins!"

It actually sort of worked.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

MJP posted:

I guess her tickets were as evocative as her accounting work.

It's strange to me that more industries don't have an equivalent to IT's technical interview. I've met people who have been woefully unprepared to handle the simplest elements of their job, but in almost every case they're a very outgoing person. It makes me think they just BSed the interview and got the job, not really expecting that they'd ever be expected to do what they claimed to be capable of.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Baconroll posted:

lovely security scanner seemed be checking for things based on feng shui or maybe inspecting chicken entrails - Lots of truly random stuff like remove all read/write permission on all files - including the files we err kind of need to read and write to as thats the whole point of the product. I guess it would be secure as no-one including the users would be able to access it anymore.

Nexpose?

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009
My entire job is enterprise Mac management. It's not bad at all if you disable the consumer-friendly automatic updates and other stuff that doesn't really apply to a business user. Apple also hasn't distributed Java in quite a while, and the system which blocks vulnerable versions from Oracle can also be disabled/modified with relative ease.

They'd be pretty bad for an enterprise environment if you just hand the user a Mac and say "go to town," but why do that with a Mac if you wouldn't do it with a Windows box?

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Gothmog1065 posted:

It only took me 10 minutes to find that grayed out text. Has anyone used the "pro" version of the toolkit? Are those tweezers the same flimsy poo poo most people sell? I'm going to assume not, they look decent quality.

I have the Pro Toolkit and it's pretty great. I don't see why people don't like the tweezers unless they're doing something weird with them. The sharp-point tweezers have a durable tip, and the ESD tweezers are nylon so you can't put them through a paper shredder but they do fine for repair work.

Along those lines, you can replace the SSD on any Retina models. It's just a matter of getting a replacement PCIe SSD rather than the older SATA ones.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

pr0digal posted:

Speaking of Macs, I got 34 laptops in today! Time to spend the next week imaging them.

Get ye to DeployStudio.com and image 34 machines in a couple of hours. Setting up NetBoot and DeployStudio is one of the very first things I did at my current job, and it has saved me an immeasurable amount of imaging/deployment time. Well, that and Casper.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009
For what it's worth, NetBoot works across subnets with some relatively minor adjustments. It's just the BDSP part that doesn't leave the broadcast domain. You can either use something like ARD to send a specific bless command to point a client machine at the correct IP (good for one-offs), or set an ip-helper on your L3 switch/router/whatever you're using to pass traffic between subnets or VLANs. It's the same setting you'd use for a DHCP server, because it works very similarly.

Even if you don't have Casper, look at their documentation on Jamfnation. I'm almost positive there's an article with the command to NetBoot to a specific set at a given IP.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

mllaneza posted:

FYI, Casper is dead slow on a thumb drive, even a 5400 on a USB-SATA adapter will be faster if you're locally booting it.

The rule of thumb there is "never use Casper Imaging." Just throw a QuickAdd into a DeployStudio workflow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Agrikk posted:

Jesus Christ. That's horrible.

You hung that at the workplace? I don't even

You'd be amazed at the dark humor the combination of retail and IT can create.

A coworker of mine at an old job (similar to Geek Squad) once hung our phone from the ceiling using a noose made of its own cord because it was ringing constantly. On another occasion we brought in an actual toilet and put it in the middle of the room for some reason or other.

• Locked thread