Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

MiniFoo posted:

Echoing the sentiment about your pay. I almost make that much, and I've been in IT for less than six months. Then again, I live in San Francisco, so :rip:

The idea of someone managing to survive on 30k in SF is a foreign concept to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

KoRMaK posted:

:stare:

I had no idea about the salary.

I can't tell if I'm out of touch or not.

Nope, that's pretty indefensible for anything that's more complicated than plugging in monitor cables and nothing else.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Antioch posted:

I finally, after 2 years, got asked to change my title in our performance management system from 'Technomancer Adpetus" to my actual title. That was a sad day.

I was required to put the HR-acceptable signature template on my emails, so I compromised by having a set of randomized signatures with ridiculous job titles (which I can't post because literally anyone I work with would probably look at them and say OH I KNOW EXACTLY WHO THAT IS :tinfoil:)

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

go3 posted:

So you're a child.

I work at a business where, for the last 8 years of our existence, it's been a codified practice that if you screw up dramatically, you can (if you so desire) put on a pair of plastic Shrek ears, which results in other coders and developers coming over, asking you what happened, and commiserating with you about times that they were wearing those ears. A practice which is embraced by everyone up to and including the VP of Operations. If having a job title of "Senior Code Monkey" in my email makes me a child in your eyes, I feel pity for both you and your work culture.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Sickening posted:

And somehow keeping up with two threads of the exactly the same amount of content is somehow easier? We are suppose to be a logical group here aren't we?

I have 10 threads bookmarked on SA, that doesn't mean I really want to see all the updates for all of them posted in one massive überthread.

Renegret posted:

Hold on let me see if I can get the licenses through Tiger Direct

Cheaper to get them off ebay anyways.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Sickening posted:

That would comparable if they were all the same content/discussion.

I had more :words: in there originally, but felt like I should shift-home-backspace ninja-edit and collect my thoughts proper. The very short version is "a single-chain-of-posts forums board is the worst way to have online discussions, except for all the other others", and your original analogy of "3 threads with 10 updates each" vs "1 thread with 30 updates" assumes that the person in the former case would always have sufficient time to catch up with all three threads, where the reality is more likely to be (especially during work hours) that said person has time to pick and choose one of the threads to catch up and contribute to.

To :spergin: a bit, though:

In one thread, sanely, you can have maybe two threads of discussion via quotes, not including interjections, before things get really hard to follow; and since the topics in question are basically invitations to have interjections, you basically (currently) get a couple dozen posts max before the thread of discussion gets lost in a new topic. In combining the topics of "Specific tickets and technical issues", "I hate my boss", and "How do I get a better job", you're significantly decreasing the signal/noise ratio from the merging alone-- if you combined the posts of the current three threads by timestamp and tried to follow the conversations contained in them, you'd probably give yourself a massive headache.

In reality, though, it's worse than that. If you have, for example, A Thing That Pisses You Off, and you see that there's 10 new posts in the STPMO thread, you're probably going to read those 10 posts, and if you have something to say about a previous post, include a quote attached to your new interjection. If you go to the General IT thread and see there's 30-50 new posts, you're more likely to completely ignore the existing topic and just dump your new noise into the mix, to either become the new topic or be ignored entirely by people discussing the existing topic.

Additionally, for the same reason as above, you're more likely to actually be able to take part in a discussion if you have 5 spare minutes on the shitter when you select one of the threads to catch up on with 5 new posts, as opposed to trying to catch up with 30 new posts right that second.

For example, discussions literally like this one would probably not be able to happen in a combined thread, because by the time I hit submit on this, 10 new posts would have been submitted to it.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

larchesdanrew posted:

I did the same thing with a computer I built back in 2010. A couple of years ago it became unbearably sluggish. I could have wiped it, or used autoruns, or did anything. Instead, I pulled the hard drive out, turned it off, stuck it in the closet, and built a new one. I still don't regret it.

Same deal. I bought my last gaming computer prebuilt instead of putting it together from scratch, since "preventing work burnout" is more important to me than "saving a couple of bucks". I deal with this poo poo enough during work hours, the last thing I want is to go home and (as it usually ended up being) wasting an entire weekend getting my gaming computer working again instead of, say, playing games on it.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

larchesdanrew posted:

That's one thing I won't do. I can't do a prebuilt gaming computer. Some part of it will always be subpar and it's usually the power supply or mobo, two components that can royally gently caress you up if you skimp. Assembling one from scratch isn't bad, a few hours, maybe. Then you get the peace of mind that every component is quality.

Plus, my Luddite wife helped me put this last one together and she had a lot of fun :3:

I got suggestions about companies from coworkers and it's been running strong without anything more than a yearly dust-blowing for the last 3, so :shrug:

YMMV, of course. (I also don't use it as my day-to-day work computer, so it's probably getting a lot less wear-and-tear than it would otherwise.)

e:

Thirteenth Step posted:

This is probably going to sound retarded so please hang in there.

Do you guys have any real method for note-taking when answering calls? I repeatedly end up with my notepad FULL OF poo poo all the time because there's no structure to what i'm doing, i'm just scribbling on a A4 notepad and something things get messy and when I come to type this stuff up and actually log it into the help-desk I can't read anything and I pray for death at my desk and then my boss drop-kicks me in the throat.

Anyone got any tips or anything like that for taking decent clear notes that's easy to stick to? I don't use a headset and have just a normal phone so live logging out out of the question and I can't do that thing where you use your shoulder to hold the receiver to your head so that's not an option either really.

Pre-scratch out sections of a notepad (a real one, not a post-it note or some poo poo) with basically ticket field forms. Who's calling, how you can reach them, who they're calling for, what the problem is, where the problem's located, what they've done already...basically anything you can think of that you generally need to know from the calls you get. (Obviously this assumes the calls you tend to get are IT-issue related).

Then, when someone calls, you just "fill in the ticket" in whatever order they happen to be giving you the information in.

Easiest way with the least amount of writing, if you have to do it with a pencil and paper, would probably be to section one page off into blocks and keep it posted to the side somewhere as a "what goes in each block" template, then all you have to do on a new page is sketch the blocks out before someone calls.

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Sep 16, 2015

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

larchesdanrew posted:

kids suck and never have kids if you want hobbies.

Of all the things I'm never going to do, that's the never-est. There's not enough time in the day as it is.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Daylen Drazzi posted:

and c) there was nothing we could have done differently no matter what, and getting worked up about it was pointless. Unless I hosed things up I don't stress about things anymore.

Ironic that you post this today; we're having issues with an external vendor and our team lead had to go on a bit of a monologue about "there's nothing we can do, external vendors suck, this happens and if your happiness is dependent on them not loving up you're gonna have a bad time" in our morning meeting because people were stressing out about it.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Nerdrock posted:

I'm a OneNote user for note-taking during helpdesk days. I have a "work" notebook with meetings, helpdesk, and misc tabs with a page for each helpdesk day / meeting / whatever. I love that I can pull it up on my phone, iPad, laptops, anything. I use it with my personal Surface Pro 3 to write things, or my Dell XT3 at work during meetings. It's everywhere and works well for me. It'll transcribe my scrawlings, and everything's searchable.

edit : vvv yup. those features too. vvv

Oh poo poo, maybe I should look into Onenote again. I was using it awhile ago when I was in a Windows environment, but when I moved to a Mac shop I had to find alternatives. If they've gone cross-platform proper that'd be extremely potentially alluring.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

deep impact on vhs posted:

"our customer is complaining that the server they have to themselves is slow because they tried to upload a large statement"
*restarts weblogic* "let me know if they complain again"

*an hour later*

"hey it's slow again because they tried to do the thing"
*restarts weblogic* "let me know if they complain again"

*an hour later*

"hey they tried the thing again"

:suicide:

"It's your fault for not telling us to stop doing the thing"

Segmentation Fault posted:

Did both, no dice. Thinking it might be a short on the power button?

Could be a lot of things; I've been having an occasional "I really want to stay on" bug in Windows 10 that's apparently somehow caused by faulty USB drivers. I assume "reimage it" isn't an option, though, and it is old as poo poo, so it could easily be an actual hardware issue.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

larchesdanrew posted:

"Why fix something that's not broken? Do you know who I am? The problem is clearly the monitor itself, even though I'm the only one that has mentioned this and everyone else loves the new monitors."

Canvass the users, get a poll of who likes the new monitors, and when asked why say "Yeah, this dude hates them and wants them all replaced"

Let the users cannibalize their own :unsmigghh:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Honestly HELP_DECRYPT.whatever isn't gonna hurt anything (based on my understanding of cryptowall anyway).

The existence of the file is what indicates "THIS IS A CRYPTOWALL INFECTION", I think, since obviously any encrypted file is indistinguishable from an unencrypted one as far as the antivirus software is concerned. :thejoke: being that if you mark it as a false positive, cryptowall infections won't be alerted on.

Now excuse me while I dissect this frog.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Our dev and production databases are identical, but on completely separate hosts. Thankfully we haven't had any issues with anything in production, although one time I accidentally changed the email address of about 400 test accounts to the same one with a bad where clause :downs:

Worst production issue was probably taking down every production web host at the same time instead of staggering them even/odd like they were supposed to, resulting in about 5-10 minutes of hard downtime. The nice thing about companies that don't poo poo on you for stuff like that is that I ended up being harder on myself than my boss ever would have been, and I rewrote a bunch of production deploy tools from scratch to make sure I don't screw stuff up like that again.

Worst issue from my team, though, was a cron job that was sending out money via a payment provider. Not to go into super detail, but the provider was taking longer to confirm transactions than the cron's interval. Server 1 would find an unfilled invoice, associate and send payment for it, and the expectation was that the constantly-running handler on Server 2 would iterate through sent-but-not-confirmed payments, see that one was confirmed, find the associated invoice and mark everything as complete. Instead, Server 1 found an unfilled invoice, put the invoice number on a payment, fired off the payment... then on the next cron interval, found the same unfilled invoice, put the invoice number a (new) payment, fired off the payment...

That one was pretty bad.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Segmentation Fault posted:

larchesdanrew is pretty far away from the e/n goon who wouldn't feed his kid because he was too busy playing APB

Is that the same one with the kid who woke up on a saturday, got ready for school, and walked out the door while her parents were asleep at the crack of noon

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Migishu posted:

Oh poo poo

How will I post on funny computer forum now?

netcat

larchesdanrew posted:

yeeeeah probably not doing that

wise

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Entropic posted:

Yes, with a flathead screwdriver and some gentle leverage.

If you don't rebind your capslock to control I don't know what to tell you :colbert:

Windows (I believe this just makes a registry change in HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layout, so if you dig it out you can send out the change to users without the program :eng101:)
Mac

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
I just got my first “do the needful” in the wild, from a qa person. I laughed, thinking they were making a joke, and they looked confused. So I guess this is an actual thing now, not just an engrish ticket phrase. :ohdear:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Shut it down, ban OP, gas the thread, we'll never speak of this again.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

At my last job, I worked in IP law, and one of the clients we had for trade-mark stuff was the COMPLETELY NOT WORK SAFE http://www.fleshjack.com/. Getting asked to unblock that page by a 60 year old woman was the funniest thing in the whole entire world.

I am the "made in the USA" logo over the tastefully obscured black-and-white photo of a mechanic in a garage jslacking off on the job.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

MJP posted:

Am I the only IT professional in the world who doesn't really care about FO4? I'm not big on crafting, and these days I don't want to spend hours exploring stuff - I wanna play a game, kinda. It's hard to describe.

I'm also That Guy. You know, the one who thinks that FO3 wasn't really all that good of a Fallout game compared to 1 and 2. It's me, I am the goony goon :-(

I liked FO3/NV and I still don't care about FO4 that much. My thing with Bethesda games is always "wait until the DLC and modding community fixes the save-deleting bugs and makes the game actually fun to play", so in the meantime it's LotV.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

RFC2324 posted:

Lord of the Virgins?

:pervert:

But no, Legacy of the Void. I've been waiting 18 years for them to follow through on that story teaser from that last mission in Brood War.

(Naturally, the payoff probably be more horrible Blizzard writing, but at least being able to drop pylons and warp in Colossi anywhere on the map is fun.)

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

luminalflux posted:

I actually enjoy the change of venue. I can't have my computers in my bedroom at home because there's no psychological separation between "sleep" and "loving around on the internet" - they have to be in the living room and I have to put on clothes before I go and play games/gently caress around.

Same when it comes to work - I can work from home for a few days but it's a lot better for me to put on pants, leave home, go to work and get into a work mindset. Even though it's a 7 minute tram ride (most of my commute is waiting for muni/crosswalks) and much of my equipment at home is the same as at work (headphones, chair, keyboard, mouse, mousepad, monitors, even the laptop stand are all identical) it's enough to transition into the right mindset. When I work on side projects I try to go somewhere that's not home or work to hack.

I could never work remote if I didn't also have an office that was only for work - either in my home or ideally a coworking space. For some reason I love being around people even if I just sit with headphones on all day.

There are definitely days when I feel this way, but the best way to deal with it (that I've found) is to quit out of the "gently caress around" web browser, start up the work one, then get up and walk away from the computer for a bit. Get dressed, do whatever, but remember that you're going to be sitting down to work, not to play.

It also helps that I have a "work" computer and a "gaming" computer, and I can take my work laptop elsewhere in the house if I'm really having trouble buckling down that day.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

luminalflux posted:

I did a 1h30 commute for way too long. I cut that gradually down first to 1h20, then 55 minutes then 45 minutes to finally 30 minutes by a) getting up earlier b) switching jobs c) job moved office d) moving closer to the city.

At each shortening I felt less poo poo until I realized a big part of why I felt so lovely was due to a long-rear end commute from a lovely neighborhood to another lovely neighborhood. 30 year old me wishes he told 20 year old me to not live in a place with terrible public transit for so long.

I’ve seen and felt the effects of long daily commutes, both on people and their relationships. There’s something like a 40% increase in divorce rates when one spouse is commuting, last I heard.

Either way, either a short commute or work-from-home is something that’s worth a lot to me in just time saved, let alone gas or bus costs. If you’re commuting even two hours a day, you need to figure that into how much you’re actually getting paid-- you’re not working 8 hour days, you’re working ten hour days, and that adds up real drat fast. Once you start looking at pay with that in mind, it’s surprising how little per hour you’re actually working for.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

larchesdanrew posted:

I may be planning and setting up an entire infrastructure if I get this job.

In the interest of your own sanity, take it if it's offered and don't read any of Dick Trauma's posts from the last year or so.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

luminalflux posted:

If they drugtested in the bay area there's no way they could find the level of talent that exists here now.

I've yet to have a drug test for a computer-related job of any sort.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
It'd be pretty cool if we could stick to "I'm sorry to hear that Larches" without devolving into redpill poo poo, tia

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Sheep posted:

A laptop came in.

User said the machine was display text oddly upon bootup, which they confirmed by sending me a picture. No big deal, laptop is within warranty so we'll just forward it on to the manufacturer when we get it in and they'll sort it out for us no problem.

Looks good so far, guys!

"Yeah let's just stuff it in a USPS box with air bubble filler protecting only the bottom of the machine, what could possibly go wrong!" :rolleyes:

So what you're saying is "It was like that when I got it"? Yeah, right :colbert:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Cook at 325 for 5 hours? I don't have that kind of time!

What do you mean, I can't cook it at 650 for 2.5 hours? Put your manager on the line!

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Swink posted:

The surface experience. Is it hung? Booting? Installing updates? Who knows!

I have 40 of these cunts and another 50 due next year.

I always feel tempted to get one of these as a geek toy and I'm always glad that I wait a day and then never actually push the button on it

I think I'll never not prefer an ultrabook-style "real laptop" over one of those pseudo-tablet dealios

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Skipping posts to say: has anyone run into the alleged teamviewer hack? TV's denying everything so far but there are what is generally known as "a lot" of reports of people with 2FA and unique passwords being compromised.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Thanks Ants posted:

If work is done via a ticketing system and you don't list what you did in the tickets then you're worse than Hitler.

ugggh don't get me started on tickets

We use Jira, and our Jira admin apparently comes up with agile new scrumtastic ticket flows at least once a month. You file a ticket and get a very confused person following up a week or two later because sometimes the fields necessary to complete the ticket just evaporate or are otherwise modified in such a way where any ticket created pre-modification just drops data on the floor. It's great!

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

sfwarlock posted:

Then he figured out that he could have two monitors despite the KVM, because he needed to constantly monitor - ha - what the other computer was doing.

I've unironically used KVMs in this kind of manner more than once. One way is a dual-screen setup for my "usual" work computer, and then other configurations pull up build machines or whatever on the second monitor.

that said pretty much every setup I've ever used at work and home ends up an organically-grown mess of :psyduck: to bystanders that I swear has a reason to exist, so

that said kvms are the devil and kvms for dual link DVI are worse

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
I had mixed results with synergy when I was using it in 2011 or so, the KVM was just more reliable. I might give it another try though.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

MANime in the sheets posted:

I've been in IT for about 4 years now, it still boggles my mind every time I see companies doing stuff like this. I've had to work on a few 2000 servers, lots of 03 servers.... and then making changes right before a holiday weekend :psyduck:

Company-wide enforced no change windows are fantastic and it stuns me that any company that deploys anything ever would not have one.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Knormal posted:

I got a call yesterday from a user who accidently deleted the Outlook contact he used to store all his passwords. It's a step up from a post-it I guess.

"Yeah, I shared my address book with the sketchy candy crusher-esque app, how else would it send my friends notifications?"

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Gorau posted:

I wish there was more common sense among IT security with regards to usability. My company's current requirements are minimum 14 characters, 6 of which must be numbers or symbols, it must not contain a word in the English dictionary, excludes common place names and must not resemble to a certain (unknown to me) degree any of your previous 10 passwords. Passwords are reset on a bi monthly schedule. Also when I say that words are excluded, I mean that if any part of the password could be picked out as an English word, it rejects it. "Greengrassgrows" would be rejected for including English words.

This scheme applies to several thousand people, many of whom need to use the computer intermittently and most of whom have just a high school education from some time back in the 70s or 80s.

I pity our help desk.

I don't write my passwords down, but if I worked at your company I probably would.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

DizzyBum posted:

It helps when I've used a command so many times with certain switches and I already know what they do, and when there's enough switches to make a pneumonic or a word.

Go on, ask me how often I run "netstat -anus" :laugh:

du -sch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

MANime in the sheets posted:

OK, I can kinda see that. I'd also be OK with hard limits on HOW MUCH I can have in archives, but to flat deny it for ANYTHING over a year is a little crazy to me. I'm a communications packrat*, I can't imagine having no way to retain ANY older stuff. Print it out I guess.....

If your company is THAT worried about illegal/unethical stuff though, perhaps focusing on email retention is not the correct solution to the problem...

*I archive my chat logs from Skype for Business.

It's the end result of the email retention policy being made by either the people who are making the jokes, or people who've banged their head against the wall trying to get people to stop making the jokes but the people with 20+ years of seniority are refusing to stop because "what's this PC bullshit".

It's weird as hell because up until, like, a couple months ago, I didn't know anyone at work who even really brought up their personal lives/opinions in a professional setting, let alone make lovely "jokes" about said poo poo, and then I met an older coworker who thinks taking potshots at his wife in unrelated conversations at work is a totally acceptable thing to do. :psyduck:

• Locked thread