Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rscott
Dec 10, 2009
They still have those questions on the A+? Do they still ask questions about troubleshooting Windows 3.1/95 and NT4 like when I took it back in 2005?

When I first moved to Kansas a buddy of mine got me a job at compUSA. I was under the impression that I would be working in the repair shop and doing home network installs and poo poo like that since I had a pretty freshly minted A+ and Network+. Nope. You had to be promoted into the tech shop from the sales floor where the manager had loving ridiculous "goals" set for each employee. I think mine was something like $80k a month in gross sales with a 20%(!!!) margin and $5k a month in warranty sales. For a dingy store about 1/3rd of the size of a best buy. We weren't really on commission, there was a compensation scheme for selling extended warranties but it was ridiculously low, like $4-10 for selling a product that was 80%+ margin. Yeah sure buddy I'm going to bust my rear end off doing something ethically pretty terrible for $8/hr so I can have the chance of making a buck or two more an hour fixing people's awful PCs.

Specious logic aside (good salesmen do not necessarily make good computer repair men, if anything the correlation goes the other way) the amount of emotional abuse I received from both management and customers (the customers I can excuse but management hell no) basically turned me off from working retail ever again. I'd rather be homeless, honest to god.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Science posted:

I feel for you, mostly because you probably have to hear the "Guess they should have named it Office 363 hurr :mmmsmug:" comments.

More like Office 356, which is punny in more ways than one!

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I'm kind of surprised services like Lojack don't do something like that already.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
It's a SA meme that xkcd isn't "funny" enough for webcomic connoisseurs who prefer to read incredibly inscrutable War and Peace length treatises filled with so many inside jokes and meta references that the only people who get them are the ones who have suffered through the whole pile of poo poo from the beginning and wear it like a badge of pride, e.g Homestuck.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Hey 100 meters is the standard right? You're fine!

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I sure do love troubleshooting wireless network bridges with no loving documentation whatsoever

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
The whole idea of "customer service" for internal IT seems kind of weird to me to begin with. They're your co-workers not someone who is trying to buy poo poo from you.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I'm new to IT, but I've been a technician for a long time. The theory I've heard was described as "Bozon" field theory. See, there's these Bozon fields everwhere, they're just part of nature. The problem is that electronics are very sensitive to Bozons, too much Bozon radiaton in one place and buttons stop working, equipment won't turn on, glitches show up, etc.

For reasons that science can't explain, technicians can absorb Bozons. Just being in the same room, or even better, touching equipment can fix a Bozon problem.

Watch out though, there are some people who seem to emit Bozons. I think we've all met one of these people.

This is some Terry Pratchet poo poo and I mean that as a compliment

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I still use winamp 2.97, everything after 3 when AOL bought them was poo poo.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Crowley posted:

Such blasphemy.

evobatman: Did you figure out what was wrong with your SAN? you never responded to my reply on Skype. :ohdear:

Classic skin 4 lyfe

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
win+L locks the workstation.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Vin BioEthanol posted:

I don't care about drinking at work, the few times I've tried to have a couple drinks at lunch all I wanted to do was sleep the rest of the day. I want to know about grills! Where do you work that trusts cube drones to walk through the building with raw meat?

Big multi-national corp here, facilities guy was putting together outdoor furniture the other day, I told him he shut put a grill out there too. He thought that kicked rear end but said there's no was it'd be allowed.

A friend used to be a dealer tech and seems like every time I'd go over there to bs or use a lift they'd be cooking steaks.

I'm not calling you out personally but poo poo like this post is what has been pissing me off lately. If you're phone postin' and using swiftkey or w/e check your god drat posts to make sure they actually parse correctly.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I took more umbrage at the whole "menstruations of my boss" thing than another goon being a goony goon (although I suppose that fits neatly into the goony goon part as well)

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Inspector_71 posted:

I assume he meant ministrations.

I'll just refer back to my post where I rage about people not giving their posts a good one over before posting on their phones/tablets then :v:

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Zombies Ate My Neighbors owned but I never beat that drat game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Yeah my ASUS laptop doesn't have physical lights for num/caps/scroll lock and it can be annoying at times.

• Locked thread