Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

guppy posted:

Sort of. The stuff it tests is a mix of "very basic" and "unnecessary," for a variety of reasons ranging from "I don't need to remember the exact wording of every option in Control Panel and how to get to it, I know to go to Control Panel and everything is labeled and I'll figure it out" to "literally no one needs to remember the pinouts for a deprecated connector no one uses anymore."

But if your hiring goes through HR, they need some way to filter entry-level candidates. Remember that these are the same HR people who call you because they didn't realize their monitor was off, they are not qualified to evaluate technical competence. What sucks is that a. it's an artificial barrier between perfectly capable people and their first job that's already tough to get, and also that b. there isn't an obviously good way to turn the sort of logical and technical reasoning needed in a job like that into a standardized test, so it gets padded with a bunch of junk you don't need.

Get your A+.
Similar to a college degree, it's doesn't as much prove what you know about IT as it proves that you're willing to organize your priorities, put in the time, and study it. Seriously so much of entry level IT is handled by recruiters these days it's ridiculous, get your A+ and put it at the top of your resume

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me

door.jar posted:

Your question reminded me of something a client I deal with did:
- ~200 computers (out of ~15k) to replace due to them being 8+ years old that can't be physically located
- Decide to disable logins to those machines with a message to call IT so you can find them
- No testing of your login disabling solution and also have no intention to do say a few at a time
- Trigger the script for disabling at 12pm
- Script is busted and instead disables logins for every single computer anywhere
- Helpdesk are swamped with calls about disabled computers but they expected that and therefore it takes 30 minutes before someone realizes what has happened
- No re-enablement script has been written
I showed up an hour late one day and during that hour, someone at my company decided to delete all of the computers and servers off of our AD to "clean it up" (admittedly it was a horror show) assuming it would repopulate when those computers reconnected to the domain. Fun couple of days.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me

Potato Alley posted:

Or stop using 2012 since R2 is out and has the Start button, although all it does it take you to Metro. Eh.

Right click that poo poo! And then edit that sweet desktop based menu at C:\Users\$you\appdata\local\microsoft\windows\winx. Win+X also makes this menu pop up

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

Well the mistake I made of giving out my number to someone finally caught up with me, she decided to give me a call first thing on Christmas morning to ask me for help on why her laptop won't play her Christmas playlist.

The sound was off, guys :shobon:

hahaha if you picked up the phone you might as well change jobs now

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me

Lum posted:

So our regional office is actually going to get some servers, currently it just has a couple of non-networked workstations.

I've been tasked with setting it all up, it'll be an AD domain, VPN access for all us home workers, the ticket system will be hosted there, as will our source control.

Sounds great, just a couple of caveats:

1) It's two hours to drive there, four hours to drive back
2) The servers I get to use are the PowerEdge 2950s (2) and 1950s (3) that were taken out of our old satellite office a few years back
3) They're licensed for 1x Win 2003 R2 Standard OEM, 2x Win 2003 R2 Enterprise OEM and 2x Win 2003 R2 64bit Standard OEM.
4) My budget is zero.
5) There are no backup devices.

Time to start drinking again.

What's the current best practice for naming a Win2003 domain, with a view to it later being borged by the rest of the company. I'm guessing at something like sitename.contoso.com?

Ummmmm literally install Linux on two of your servers and get a Google Apps domain for all of your users. Do source control on Confluence or something. Anything is cheaper in the long run than supporting that amalgamation of worst practice.

Are they planning on merging your storage and mail with the company DB? They should just get you set up there now and have you VPN into the main branch from your regional office

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
"But I want my print job to be done and waiting for me by the time I get to the printer. Authenticated printing wastes too much of my time."

An actual argument. So the time saving solution was implemented to buy every single employee a $99 wireless HP printer for their desk :(

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me

odiv posted:

Anyone here do video tutorials or walkthroughs for common helpdesk solutions? We're thinking about doing that here. Is Camtasia still the thing to use, or...? I'm a bit out of touch.

psr.exe! Super sweet if your users can open a zip file unassisted. I have to host them on a webserver :downs:

Roargasm fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jan 31, 2014

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me

blackswordca posted:

So an email came in. The Jr techs all had another meeting today.

They discussed psychometrics and personality assessment tests, then proceeded to discover their personality colour..

:stare:

Solid psychometrics are at the heart of a robust client satisfaction survey :colbert:

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me

Baconroll posted:

Had a customer log a ticket and he has written his own instructions on how he should be addressed which he helpfully pastes into every update. Gems like,

We are not friends - do not use 'Hi'
You will refer to me using my full title Mr Cxxxxx Dxxxxx
Do not use 'Thanks' we are not close
Do not phone me

What the gently caress valediction am I supposed to use besides Thanks? Respectfully? That dude SUCKS. The only person in my whole building who insists on being on a last name basis with me is a first year :allears:

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me

Cojawfee posted:

I just type V/R. I don't know what it means, but everyone else uses it.

Very respectfully,

Message sent from my iPhone.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me

guppy posted:

None. Reading this thread, what percentage of businesses do you imagine to be properly planned?

LET ME TELL YOU A LITTLE SOMETHING ABOUT DEVOPS

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me

Gunjin posted:

Video editing: 12 core Mac Pro, 10 bit broadcast monitor, 30" apple cinema display, 23" Apple Cinema Display, SAS card, video capture card, Wave panel then a separate laptop to connect to the corporate e-mail and exchange calendar.

Well I guess both the IT staff and general employees at Pixar alike can rejoice that they're not going BYOD any time soon :toot:

For me, apparently the word in 2014 is "SUSTAINABILITY." If someone could tell me all about that I'd appreciate it thanks

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
Lo and behold, this "sustainability" is the missing puzzle piece in our theoretical perfect BYOD environment :ghost:

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me

Entropic posted:

The Be Your Own Dentist program was pretty rough.

We could have avoided all of those extra costs and meeting hours if the users would just wear their drat retainer every night like we told them to

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I'm really wary of any kind of open naptime or "fun in the workplace" policy because it just gives them a convenient excuse to make you practically live at work. Facebook campus is full of games, bands, food, and fun things but gently caress you if you're leaving before 8pm. If it's a normal 9-5 and you can do this stuff, then your boss's boss needs to get his poo poo together because it's not that hard to go 100% for 8 hours

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

Having some real trouble communicating with my manager. I'll start describing a problem (as clear as I can be) and he will always cut me off with an assumption as soon as he hears the buzzword he's looking for - I.E. If I mention a high-profile user can't get an iPhone ActiveSync connection he'll mention the password has expired and tells me to reset it. I try to mention that I can log in with the same user via OWA, and the password's not expired as I can set it up on my Android, but he'll rarely listen.

Then once the problem morphs into a more serious one he'll call me and say "What are the facts" as if I haven't mentioned them already. So I repeat what I've already told him and he lectures me about "Why he needs me to understand Active Directory" or whatever (Making me feel a bit poo poo because I was pretty happy about passing 98-365, even if it's only an MTA) - which again misses the problem and eventual solution.

Anyone have any tips for dealing with similar situations?

Maybe initiate conversation as little as possible unless it's good news. My 30 second impression is that your manager either hates managing or he has a problem with you specifically

Roargasm fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Feb 25, 2014

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
Ohh the gym membership reimbursement is a great one, good call. I negotiated a 20% raise at my first review here but I don't think I'm coming close to that again. Offering to foot your personal cell phone bill is obviously just a trick to get your phone number :o:

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me

scroogle nmaps posted:

where both the client and the gateway are actually on the same local subnet, but connecting to the gateway's external address, which is actually NATed to it by some ISP router because LACNIC doesn't have enough addresses or whatever.

:psypop: This might sound dumb but why do you actually need a VPN to get out? To secure resources on that broadcast domain?

edit: unless you mean the client is on the same subnet as the external interface in which case double psypop

Roargasm fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Feb 27, 2014

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me

blackswordca posted:

"your work and its environment"

Even your workflow exists in some personal vortex :ghost:

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me

HalloKitty posted:

God no. I hate the fact turning off a DisplayPort monitor in Windows disconnects it and shifts everything about.

I'm perfectly happy with DVI. What's wrong with DVI?

If this is literally ruining one of your users' lives like it did to mine, there are third party programs that will auto-save desktop layouts by resolution

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me

odiv posted:

Holy poo poo am I ever sick of getting tickets that have "This has been a problem for X weeks." in them.

Pearson rents my building on weekends and invited my CFO to a meeting to resolve an issue that "we have been working on for 8 weeks now" with my name attached to it. I don't work weekends. I was there within an hour and loving fixed their whole environment for them, a whitebox with a TNT2 video card and a discontinued ID card printer, for free.

Sometimes it's just easier to do it yourself regardless of the horrible precedent being set :sigh:

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me

blackswordca posted:

So a bunch of phone calls came in,

Over the weekend, the account lead, the tech who is my offshift and several other techs from my company upgraded the subnetting in the main office for the client I am onsite for. It looks like they never bother to test the remote sites as all of them have lost internet access. :cripes:

Wow that is loving terrible

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me

Priss In Plate posted:

We get pretty stingy on granting this kind of access. They'll argue that their manager said they're supposed to have this access, and we'll argue that it's a security risk to be installing remote access to their work computer on their home computer running XP (which we will not support).

Worse yet, they'll try to send that data to their home e-mail and call us up complaining they can't read it because "it's encrypted or something!". :shepicide:

So you work in a medical office but you don't have a secure gateway? Even just a super basic web client? :confused: Aren't the fines for HIPAA violation like $500k per?? WOOF

Roargasm fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Mar 4, 2014

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

A server offline came in...

A voicemail server for a client mysteriously went offline. After 30 mintues of attempting to access, diagnose, use the DRAC, ETC. we finally get in touch with the client and the decisionmaker at the client.

The server is now sitting in the garbage. He unplugged it and threw it out. Without telling the IT vendor. Thanks for the notice, dickbag.

Unironically a good decision? Why not just host voicemail on the PBX?

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
If you have a SonicWall on site check your license status :suicide:

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me

AlexDeGruven posted:

The only reason to use Outlook is Exchange. Anyone who uses Outlook for IMAP/POP email has no hope remaining for their salvation.

During our GMail migration (IMAP for everyone), I had one user who absolutely refused to lose Outlook because she had spent like 8 years meticulously sorting every email she had ever downloaded from the old POP services (before I worked there...) into Outlook folders. She's using Outlook thru POP on Gmail now in our 100% uptime building :rolleyes: I do not want to know how much time she spends sorting emails every day that will never be consulted. I also fear for the life of the person who accidentally deletes that PST cause I'm not backing it up :c00l:

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me

Entropic posted:

I just had a client think I was making fun of their computer for referring to a "mickey mouse plug". :cripes:

I call it The Triangle Thing :downs:

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me

justlysarcastic posted:

So my question is, how does one go about NOT sounding "abrasive" in an email? The questionable bit was clearly from lack of know-how from me being a helldesk newbie, so I'm not particularly worried about that (supervisor said we didn't do anything wrong, just that we were giving off a weird vibe in the email). I usually put things like:

Superfluous exclamation points!

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me

Collateral Damage posted:

This is pretty much what the Raspberry Pi was made for.

Please don't install a rogue Linux box in your company meeting area. It's not worth ending up on call over a fricking Pi because a director wants to change the time of a luncheon

Roargasm fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Mar 21, 2014

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me

GreenNight posted:

Any of you know what I need to allow on my firewall to allow .NET Framework 3.5 to install auto from Microsoft on my Surface Pro? I tried *.microsoft.com but that didn't take. Downloading the full framework doesn't work either because there are some files missing.

Try *.microsoft-p.com. There are a couple others if that doesnt work but im out for the day :toot:

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me

Casull posted:

A ticket system came in. We finally got a ticketing system up in place.

Now the hard part: getting users to adopt it instead of email and IM. Any suggestions?

I also like a good ale, so suggestions for ales will also work.

I would continue to take emails and IMs and have the IT staff log those calls themselves honestly :shrug: I do 100% internal logging (small environment) and it works great. The tickets are actually uniform and usable as documentation later on instead of being SLA/metrics fodder

edit: and everything is correctly categorized :love: Jira is so good

Roargasm fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Mar 26, 2014

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
A user with local admin came in :ohdear:

She can't save any files because her hard drive is at 99.7 capacity, 320/320GB on Windows 7. She hasn't saved anything large recently, nothing turns up in explorer, and there isn't any other sketchy stuff going on.

Checked it out and her Downloads folder was taking up like 95% of the HDD space. Turns out she set up a full backup to run weekly, and then chose her own Downloads folder as the "network" location to back up to. For months and months, this incremental backup has been ballooning, getting a little bit bigger every time a new backup file got added to it.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
It doesn't take technical wizardry to understand that an email is unprofessional. Other people notice it, odds are the offender sends emails like that to the whole enterprise, and it's not your responsibility to escalate or lose sleep over it. Bad phone decorum, on the other hand, drives me loving nuts

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Coming from MSP/VAR you can quickly work your way up and have the skills for doing quick cost analysis's and risk assessments. Nothing is better than breaking down a meetings' email convo's 30 minutes after with a cost, and risk analysis within a day.

Hey Dilbert, can you elaborate a little more on this? I would love to get into the business side of things and any resources you might have or advice you could give would be great. Currently working as the systems analyst(.../sysadmin/network admin), but unless I'm working with computer systems directly, my analysis has been more policy driven advice without concrete cost/time analysis back it up. I am taxpayer funded with a yearly budget, so traditional ROI stuff does not apply according to a mentor

Roargasm fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Apr 6, 2014

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
select * from Win32_OperatingSystem where Version like "5.1*"

Roargasm fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Apr 10, 2014

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me

Knormal posted:

Yeah, I don't really know anything about AD administration myself, but I know enough to know that a lot of the stuff that should be basic AD functionality seems to be a real challenge for them.

When you attach a Group Policy, you can specify, as part of the GP, a WMI filter that queries all members of the OU and will only apply the group policy to members who return True for the query.

The query you would need to slide under the AD team's door is:

select * from Win32_OperatingSystem where Version like "5.1%"

Windows XP and SBS2003 are built on Windows NT 5.x, with 5.11 being SP1, 5.12 XP SP2, 5.13 XP SP3 iirc. NT version 5.2 is the 64 bit Windows XP and you might not want to filter it since it's rare and usually important. If you're still using SBS2003 in your environment you would need to add a second excluding flag to your WMI query (as to return true for Client versions of Windows only): select * from Win32_OperatingSystem where Version like "5.2%" and ProductType = "1"

Roargasm fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Apr 11, 2014

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me

Entropic posted:

Yeah, I told them we can look, but it's unfortunately very unlikely we'll be able to salvage anything. I haven't cracked it open yet so I don't even know if the drive is physically intact. I really doubt it. :smith:

edit:

The Importance Of Off-Site Backups dot Jay Pee Gee

Holy poo poo! Did the tower start the fire?

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
There is pretty good money in hosting things like business ERPs from folks like myself who don't have the time or knowledge to implement proper security and availability. The assumption would be (was...) that a firm like this would create a more secure network with better uptime than I could pull off internally. Unfortunately, I ended up with a company who patches on Monday mornings, puts phantom charges on our Amex, and is just plain Slow all around. I was going to reel it back in next year, but maybe I should go with Blacksword's company instead :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

"press F4"
"you mean F and 4?"
"no press the F4 key"
"Alright pressed F four times, did nothing"

This is one thing when it's an endearing senior citizen but a whole different beast when it's a professional coworker who uses a computer for at least five hours a day. I understand proper software development adhering to stereotypes and all, but people are just so clueless. Do car people feel like this around non-car people? I feel like it's more like someone who's been commuting for 10 years asking a mechanic how to use a turn signal.

• Locked thread