Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

It's really too bad that they just delete threads when they're done.

It's in the Comedy Goldmine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope
Latitude E6400 decided to die on us a few days ago. Hard drive spins and the activity light blinks for about two seconds before staying off. The screen never turns on and the fan just sits there. It doesn't smell like it burnt up, so I'm at a loss. Google is unhelpful on this and keeps finding posts by people talking about rebooting.

Probably just going to replace this, but I am curious what happened.

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope
It's been three years since I got my admin account, but I finally have ADUC rights. It's pretty cool. Unfortunately most people have to use DRA which means no matter how much faster I can do something I still have to wait ages on replication if it's something a coworker was touching. :smith:

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope

larchesdanrew posted:

:ssh:

I don't want to jinx it. But I do plan on giving my notice within the month. In the meantime, I gotta figure out a memorable way to do it. I'm thinking something with a buffalo.

Clone the CE's desktop hard drive onto a Buffalo, set as boot device, disconnect or wipe internal drive, say you backed it up in a manner he would approve of?

Shalhavet fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Oct 21, 2015

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope
Looks like they fixed a configuration error that was causing caching issues.
http://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/0/458604254431478327

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope
Agree that it's dumb as hell, but would putting it in the legal notice work?

code:
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System\LegalNoticeCaption
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System\LegalNoticeText

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope
https://www.reddit.com/r/networking/comments/5rmsw0/major_cisco_hardware_clock_issue_affecting/
http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/web/clock-signal.html

quote:

TL;DR version:

Problem: The devices in question have faulty clock timing chips which seem to fail after ~ 18 months in service. When the timing chip fails, the device will not boot and is not recoverable.

My deepest condolences for you poor bastards that will have to deal with these or rely on people that will.

NCS1K-CNTLR
NCS5500 Line Cards
IR809/IR829
ISR4331, ISR4321, ISR4351
UCS-E120
ASA 5506, 5506W, 5506H, 5508, and 5516
Cisco ISA3000
N9K-C9504-FM-E/N9K-C9508-FM-E/N9K-X9732C-EX
MX 84
MS350 Series

• Locked thread