Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

Roargasm posted:

Ask me about supporting 150 users who, combined, own more than 150 printers. Blows my loving mind. My t1 techs are on spring break this week and I had to go check out a color printer that's blotting magenta toner all over every print job. I open it up and the entire inside of the printer is colored pink.

User says to me "I guess it's good these things happen now and then otherwise you wouldn't have a job!"

We have roughly the same number and every room has at least two printers in it. One inkjet color printer that is usually a HP All-In-One of some sort and a Laserjet to do black and white. This is in addition to all of the copiers we have that all faculty are hooked up to and generally isn't more than 20 feet away. We tried to set up little print areas with a color and black and white printer but then people kept arguing over who bought the paper, who bought ink, and some people would just take the printers and put them in their rooms. It got to the point where people were spending their budget on horrible consumer printers and then would get mad at us when we said we wouldn't support them.

There really should be a "gently caress printers" emoticon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

kensei posted:

I'm thinking an homage to Office Space with an recognizable laser printer or something like it pictured just before a bat/hammer/fist comes down and smashes it all to hell.

Thoughts?

Starts as a zoom in shot of PC LOAD LETTER, zoom out to it being smashed Or, it's already smashed and the LCD has become detached and is lying by itself among other various identifiable bits. It could even just be an invert thing like :justpost: that says gently caress printers and I'd be more than happy to spam it.

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

Sonic Dude posted:

"I'm so sorry to hear your connection is slow. I tell you what - my connection at home is fantastic. You can live move in there, and I'll just live here since it would be sitting empty otherwise."

I was told by someone higher up on the chain to take one of our teachers back to my house because they were having internet connectivity problems and they wanted to rule out if it was a problem at the campus or not. Despite how ridiculous that sounded, everyone thought it was a great idea until I told them I live 45 minutes away.

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

Inspector_666 posted:

How the hell do you accidentally append a reboot command to "ping"?

You don't because ping doesn't have that kind of functionality on any OS that I'm familiar with (edit: unless the entire org is still running Windows 95). Maybe it's something they added to, say, the NetBSD version?

Helushune fucked around with this message at 19:49 on May 6, 2014

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

Inspector_666 posted:

So is "VMware" the new "cloud"? Today we had a morning meeting to learn about the "box that COLLEAGUE setup that has all sorts of VMware stuff on it" that's actually just a Hyper-V host we can use to spin up VMs for testing purposes.

I've started to notice this as well. If a vendor calls and asks what hypervisor we're using, they'll ask "VMware?" before I can even start saying Hyper-V. It's not every vendor but it's definitely growing. I guess they finally realized that I get no less than 10 other vendors calling asking about my backup solution and they should jump on another cash cow.

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

Sirotan posted:

So what will the KACE techs do if I submit this as a bugbutt report?

Tell you to uninstall the Cloud-to-Butt extension and mark it as resolved.

MJP posted:

I blame DARE - they made it seem like if you don't report your friends for talking about weed in a positive light, a SWAT team will bash down your door, throw you in jail with no recourse, deny you student loans, and ruin your future all at once.

Are you also a child of the 80s? I vaguely recall almost everything was trying out a "scared straight"-like tactic. Sex-ed from that era was the worst and has scarred me for life thinking that everyone else is packed full of disease and trying to kill me.

Helushune fucked around with this message at 20:24 on May 16, 2014

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

guppy posted:

It took me several attempts to get him to tell me what it was he was trying to accomplish, so I could tell him if that cable would help. It turns out his son broke his DSi XL power adapter and he thought the connector looked like that. I've never owned any of the XLs, but I've owned every other model of DS ever released, and they all had proprietary adapters. I told him that, and that that wasn't going to work. Obviously it isn't my job to fix someone's DS, but whatever, I can do a quick favor. Having heard this reply, he stands there silently in my office staring at the cable.

I then have this conversation several more times, explaining each time that it will not work, that Nintendo uses nonstandard, proprietary connectors for their handhelds, but that yes, if he really wants to he can take that cable with him and test it. Each time I grow increasingly exasperated, and he asks me why I'm in a bad mood today. I wasn't before he walked in, but I reply that I don't like it when people walk in and help themselves to my equipment, and that I don't like it when people ask my advice and won't take it. He says "Okay, I won't come down anymore" and puts down the cable and walks out, clearly miffed, while I remind him that he's welcome to take the cable if he wants it.

I have conversations like this on a daily basis except it's about Apple products and no, Thunderbolt isn't "everywhere" (they often get it confused with USB). Or no, your little 5 volt 1 amp wall charger won't charge your iPad. I know it has a USB port on it and the iPad has a USB cable, that doesn't mean everything will magically work all the time. I've had the DS talk with people who eye my mini and micro usb cables too. "Oh, that looks just like it!" "I can tell you right now it won't work".

blackswordca posted:

So a call came in:

Quicksand's company called me up and wants to hire me for a new position for several clients in Edmonton. After two phone interviews, one was a couple of months ago, we are at the references stage.

Wooo

You better get this and I hope it's fantastic for you.

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

Beerdeer posted:

Over a 2 hour meeting today I learned and learned to hate the term "user stories."

Beerdeer posted:

Apparently it's government-speak for "ticket"

And here I thought you were talking about a scrum daily meeting that completely missed the 15 minute mark.

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

Dragyn posted:

Our daily scrum ranges from a half hour to an hour. It's awful, and completely misses the point.

My previous employer used the scrum framework but then added their own methodology here and there to it because they were all easily distracted and loved to go on tangents. Our morning meetings would last up to four hours some days, of people just talking in circles or reiterating the same thing they just said 10 seconds ago but with slightly different wording this time.

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

Emushka posted:

I've seen this on normal workstations. re-generating the sid / re-joining to domain solved it...

Or the cached roaming profile is corrupt and needs to be purged but knowing the error message wording is vital before coming to that conclusion. I've learned to never trust what network logon error people claim they're getting until I see it for myself or have them take a picture; they've never once reported the error correctly.

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

Lareous posted:

The random bursts of traffic outside of rush hour don't help either. I can get to Duluth from Marietta in 25~ minutes, or it might take 2 and a half hours.

Hey, that sounds like the Seattle area. I live 15 minutes away (by car) from my work and it normally takes me an hour because of the traffic. There are seemingly random days, although it always seems to be Wednesday or Thursday, where traffic will be extra horrible and it'll add an extra hour on to my commute.

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

Siochain posted:

I never understood "traffic" until I was heading home on a long weekend through Vancouver. Took the ferry from the island to the North Vancouver port, heading back east. Terminal to Surrey, about 45-50km (so like 30'ish miles) was 5 goddamn hours. 5 hours. I never want to live in a big city.

I can't take the highway driving to or from work unless I want to sit idle for much, much longer. I-405 here in WA is pretty much unusable from Mon - Sat during any daylight hour unless you want to sit in some awesome New York apocalyptic-movie-style gridlock traffic.

stubblyhead posted:

Try living in Tacoma and working in Seattle. For six years.
I live kind of near Everett (north of Seattle) and used to commute to Olympia on a daily basis. I think it would have been cheaper to just rent an apartment down there and then drive home for the weekends.

For on-topic content:
Three laptops have come in this morning where the users have been using System Restore in an attempt to fix whatever problem they're having and keep rolling them back to before we added the machine to the domain. I'm currently writing a GPO to put an end to all this madness and disable system restore completely.

Helushune fucked around with this message at 18:39 on May 30, 2014

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

Inspector_666 posted:

The funny thing is that traffic on the surface streets here is almost never that bad unless the President is in town or something. The highways are another story...

But yeah, going to school in Boston and living on the end of Long Island has given me solid experience with terrible drivers and endless traffic.

I'm exaggerating but it really is gridlock from about 6:30am - 9:30am and then again from about 2:45pm - 7:30pm on weekdays and that's all pretty typical. It may or may not be worse depending on what's broken on our toll bridge this week (TM) or one of our other increasingly aging and overworked highway roads.

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

m.hache posted:

Phone ports never go easily.

Thanks for reminding me. We're planning to move off these ancient Nortel Norstar PBXs to something a little more modern (they seem bent on Lync and won't look at anything else) and not from a company that went belly up in the 90s. I'm absolutely dreading that transition since I'm the only one that knows anything about PBXs and I've only used FreePBX at a hobby level.

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

Caged posted:

Say you don't know anything about PBXes and get someone in who does then. I'm all for trying new things to learn but if you get lumped with it because the don't want to pay a consultant and then get to take poo poo because it went wrong then that's not a very fair deal.

Oh, I have. Several times even. They told me to fire up a VM and learn about Lync Server because we're a non-profit that doesn't like to spend money. They seem to think that this a reasonable solution to me having a panic attack about this.

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

lampey posted:

If you are deploying lync hybrid to do voice hire a consultant. That is a completely different job to learn. You are right about that Caged

We would be doing hybrid. I tinkered with the Lync Server 2013 installer and it wanted to touch a whole bunch of things in AD. Normally that wouldn't be a problem but our domain is something that's been "upgraded" since Windows 2000 Server and needs to be burned to the ground and rebuilt since so much of it is configured incorrectly. To give you an idea, the domain still has a primary domain controller hierarchy and we're purely a mix of 2008 R2 and Server 2012 R2 machines.

Oddhair posted:

I sat through Global Knowledge's boot camps for the two Lync certifications, it was an inordinate amount of information to ingest in general, and not something to take up as a means to effectively deploy Lync. I'm not disparaging your abilities, at least not trying to, it's just not like other phone systems. I work with IP Office daily, as it's our internal system, and Lync 2010 we also have deployed with Enterprise voice. IP Office is much more pleasant to work with.

If you must try learning Lync 2013, Lync Server 2013 Unleashed is a really good book and quickly glosses over the differences, then dives way down into how 2013 works. I'm about to re-take the 70-336 and 70-337 certs, last time I took them I felt like I'd been attacked by an intellectual Cassowary.

Thanks for the book recommendation, I'll take a look. Even if they do end up hiring someone else to do the initial set up, I will still be required to support it. Oh look, there's even a Kindle version! There's still a few more design and research meetings so hopefully I can persuade them to use something that I'm a little more comfortable with... Who am I kidding, I should just buy that book right now.

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

Sirotan posted:

I tried to set up Lync Server 2013 the other day to upgrade us from Office Communicator 2007 R2 and got stuck on step one of the AD upgrade wizard because our domain functional level was still at Sever 2000. :( :( :(

Since then we've got it up to 2003 but all other attempts to upgrade to 2008 have failed and it looks like we may just have to recreate it all from scratch! Weeeeee!

Yup, that's where I am too. I'm really looking forward to this "Discuss AD rebuild" meeting that's scheduled in mid July so I can see the look on everyone's face when I tell them what this will involve and how long it will take. I don't think anyone really understands the scope of it.

AlternateAccount posted:

Right now I am kind of leaning toward Zendesk or Mojo, but I'd appreciate any advise or anecdotes.

We use Kayako Fusion and for the most part, it's fine. I had to hack together a plug-in for it so it could parse email responses and place them in to bugs and it used to do LDAP authentication but now it's missing in the version we have for some reason. There's a couple things it does that I think is really clunky like how it handles Staff responses and how it wants people to put tags on loving everything but its audit logging is fantastic. Zendesk and Mojo both look like superior products, however.

Edit:
I forgot to mention that Kayako also doesn't seem to have any spam protection and comments is enabled by default on almost everything. This gets to be a little messy if yours is accessible from outside the intranet like ours is. The spam bots have also taken to adding a bunch of garbage tags on everything which I can't seem to find how to disable.

Helushune fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jun 4, 2014

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

spankmeister posted:

Kayako case is email driven and has ldap/ad support :confused:

My install of Fusion doesn't support ldap/ad or emails coming in as tickets and I had to hack together email reply parsing support. I swear our old pre-Fusion install did both of these though.

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

Probably the same one that prevents people from being able to responsibly budget, take out insane loans on marginal thing, and generally wind up in the Bad With Money thread in BFC

There seems to be a stigma that technology and A/V stuff will magically be available at the drop of a hat and on demand. I've gotten phone calls as I'm unlocking my front door asking me to drive the hour and half it takes to go back because so-and-so forgot to tell Tech they were having some kind of A/V event. They'll plan everything else and get that all squared away ahead of time but everyone forgets about Tech for some reason.

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

Lareous posted:

So our phone system needs some servicing.

Except end-of-life for the system (Intertel 5000) was May 30, 2014.

Anyone have VOIP recommendations for ~30-40 users? Shortel looks kind of neat but I've heard horror stories.

Hey, me too! We have several campuses and most are using ancient Norstars (one of them is branded as Meridian!) but we have one using a Mitel 5000. A higher up must have seen the EoL date and it probably sparked the whole "let's move to Lync" thing.

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

SubjectVerbObject posted:

Did you escape? Are you on the run and needing a place to hide? I'm not in Seattle, but I bet we could get a goon underground railroad set up to take you to freedom.

I am. I'll drive Dick to the Canadian border if he promises to take me with him.

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

m.hache posted:

Congrats.

What's the big problem you have with Hyper-V? They recently made some major changes in the R2 version and it's looking to be pretty solid.

I'm also interested in the potential problems with Hyper-V since I just convinced this place to switch to it (they were/are still using VirtualBox). The 2012r2 version is leaps and bounds better than what was bundled with 2008r2 and Virtual Machine Manager adds some really nice functionality.

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

Since I'm the only IT person here for about four hours in the morning during the summer, I've had to respond to phone calls that come in. Three people sharing an office that are literally across the hall from three copiers. They all have individual printers at their desks because "everyone else in this place has one at theirs". They've called four times in the past hour and half asking if I can clear out their paper jams because they're putting too much paper in the tray and the printer is grabbing multiple sheets. Can't be bothered to print to any of the other shared printers in their room or walk the 3 feet to the copier room because that requires :effort:. The worst part is, the printers have a little color LCD on them that walks you through step-by-step with pictures on how to fix what's currently wrong with it. :argh:

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

There's a coconut bra that's hung up on the wall next to my desk. It's not mine and I don't know the story behind it but they won't let me take it down. Beyond that, I share an office with my boss and I'm pretty sure he's a hoarder because he never cleans up and refuses to throw anything away. There's piles of empty cardboard boxes that have been in here for two years, various parts of computers strewn about with no organization, stacks of dead hardware that he won't let me recycle, the list goes on and on. It's disgusting and every time I or anyone else tells him that he should clean it, he spends about 5 minutes picking stuff up and putting it somewhere else in the room, announces that it's great, and goes back to whatever he was doing.

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

m.hache posted:

Hide a banana or something in one of those boxes. After a few weeks you'll have more than enough ammunition to warrant an office purge.

He actually has a box that he calls the "food trash box" where he dumps all that in. He'll dump it in to a trash can every two or three weeks but it'll have rotting fruit and moldy bread in it before he does anything with it. I've told him several times that this is all unacceptable and incredibly unprofessional but he's really set in his ways and doesn't take to any mentoring I've tried to offer.

Facilities gave him an ultimatum of "clean it up within two weeks or we're throwing everything on the floor out". I would have thought that would get him going but it's only gotten worse.

Helushune fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Aug 15, 2014

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

larchesdanrew posted:

Called in afterhours due to internet outage. Dropped everything I was doing, made the 45 minute drive in, headed for the network closet, reached for my keys to unlock it and... no keys.

Left the fuckers at home.

I can't count the number of times I've done this or locked myself out of a room and can see my keys sitting on a desk behind a window, taunting me. I once locked them at our colo and had to call someone to drive 45mins down to come unlock the rack door because I put things down wherever happens to be closest at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

A phone call came in! User reports they are unable to access any of their mounted shares. After some digging, it looks like someone had accidentally deleted the entire DFS namespace for that site. Long story short, there are no backups and I now have to restore the entire thing by hand. :argh:

• Locked thread