Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

SEKCobra posted:

Headshots are normal for all CVs here, is this not true for you guys?

it's not common here, but i've seen a lot more of in the past year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

Spazz posted:

I think it's the Facebook generation. I have my headshot on my LinkedIn profile, but not on my resume. The first thing I want an employer to see is my experience and accomplishments, what I look like is second. I know a hiring manager who tosses resumes with headshots because of the potential for discrimination cases.

Funny, I just disabled my LinkedIN account because it was just sitting there and aquiring "links" that were just as inactive as I was. The Libraryworld doesn't *do* linkedIN it seems.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

Great Beer posted:

An announcement came in. "Internet Explorer 6 will no longer be supported. Please upgrade to Internet Explorer 8."

Yay. I think?

I'm still trying to get IT to upgrade, but the manager constantly stops us because our financial administration (as always) uses software that breaks if we upgrade and another has misgivings because it would confuse the users in the library....

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

odiv posted:

Holy poo poo am I ever sick of getting tickets that have "This has been a problem for X weeks." in them.

I am about the only one that reports problems, the rest here rather puts up a sign "out of service" and shrugs a lot at customer questions.
So yeah, problems tend to go unreported for weeks here. :argh:

the worst are the ones that are fixed with a simple reboot.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

Renegret posted:

So, uh, logged into a tool at work and took a look at the URL:

Um...

I remember clanbase.com having a similar issue 17 YEARS AGO, if you linked something on the site while logged on you always had to check if the link didn't have the User ID in it that enabled the linkee to wreck havoc with your account.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

Well, sometimes it seems that is exactly what they're after.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

Baconroll posted:

I'm guessing they were using some ancient consumer grade network gear. It continues to astonish me how much ancient equipment is still out there - it was only 2 years ago I came across someone still using OS/2 on their desktop...

I had to use all my powers of persuasion to get my colleagues to accept the fact that windows 95 books are really not useful to our library patrons anymore. This was in 2012 at one location and i had to do the same song and dance in 2013 at another location. The weird thing is that when we dropped the books patrons started responding with "You're right, it is an old rear end system and I should probably upgrade" and then they did. Sometimes it amazes me how much we influence people.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

luminalflux posted:

Printers at $BIG_MEDIA_HOUSE do pull printing - you queue the job then you go to any printer and blip your RFID badge (the same one that lets you in the building) and your print job comes out.

This is what we had at the library, too bad it tripped over large PDF e-tickets.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

Gunjin posted:

gently caress connectors without screws.It may take a few more seconds to tighten down screws, but then I don't have clients coming to me with intermittent mystery issues from cables that are ever so slightly not fully engaged.

Even with screws you can have these mystery issues, they had very flexible monitor stands at the public computers of my last job and people always twisted and turned them so much the cable would eventually become disengaged.
I never got the other librarians to reach behind the monitor and check the cable before they deemed the computer broken and put on an out of order sign. :argh:

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

Well this was a new one: an international student decided he wanted some tea and instead of going to the vending machine for some hot water, he plugged in his own water cooker. Currently there's 2 computer labs without working computers or lights.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

Collateral Damage posted:

If a single kettle can bring down two labs I think you need to get an electrician on site asap before something catches fire. That sounds like your electrical wiring is majorly hosed up.

It's actually one room that's split in two smaller lab with a glass pane, your point still stand though. It shouldn't have happened, despite all the other devices that were being plugged in on top of the computers and the kettle.
Oh well, sent it to facilities and IT. I am merely the librarian.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

luminalflux posted:

nah just go all-in on spotify and netflix, who needs :filez: these days?

There's still the digital hoarders, you know them well: the people with large outlook archives.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

you ate my cat posted:

Do what my company does - Declare it an issue with the customer's computer and then stick your fingers in your ears.

This is pretty much what I am told to do the moment a student walks up to the desk and shows me his ubuntu laptop. There's currently a huge infight between IT and departments running linux despite IT not wanting them to and I get the refugees at my desk.

Of course, then it turns out that it's all flavors of Ubuntu, Chrome OS and Android having the same problem and then I get to escalate the ticket.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

IndustrialApe posted:

This is pretty much what I am told to do the moment a student walks up to the desk and shows me his ubuntu laptop. There's currently a huge infight between IT and departments running linux despite IT not wanting them to and I get the refugees at my desk.

Of course, then it turns out that it's all flavors of Ubuntu, Chrome OS and Android having the same problem and then I get to escalate the ticket.

Turns out this is an EduRoam/AP bug and they are now looking into it as it is now a problem for the whole university.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

spankmeister posted:

I'm sorry you've only ever tried cheap swill.

Students will just nick it, so why bother?

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

Inspector_666 posted:

Support-wise, I don't see much a distinction between a laptop, desktop, or tablet these days. 95% of the work is software-related, not swapping out parts.

..that and to hear the lamentation of your users "why is this stuff so hard?", when you tell them they have to fill in their email and password to get their BYOD onto the network.

DONT TOUCH THE PC fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Dec 17, 2014

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

...even better is when you can go "you're a CS student, have a *little* pride!".
Best people are the biology students who basically want their notebook to have a fuzzy fur, some ears and to make squeaky noises when they pet it.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

Sickening posted:

What a poo poo requirement.

It's common, at universities of applied science in the netherlands you have to complete two internships totalling about a year. Mine also lead to employment, but also to a total disregard for college as they untaught me everything first.

edit: currently there's also an "unpaid experience internship", which is paid for by your local government and features post-grads who already have done internships.

DONT TOUCH THE PC fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jan 10, 2015

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

skooma512 posted:

Why can't it just be easy. I hate security! Why do we even have to have passwords? :qq:

Do these people ever pay for stuff or manage their bank accounts online?

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

neogeo0823 posted:

I hate walking into any business that's not the company I work for while wearing my work clothes. It doesn't mater where I work or where I am, everyone thinks I work there.

I've spoken to Dutch train conductors who had the same experience, getting asked questions about the timetable somewhere in the Czech Republic. They didn't even have their uniform, they just had an aura of "I know stuff and I will help you".

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Students today are no more computer literate than they were 20 years ago, and won't be any more computer literate in 20 more years. The adage that the current generation are good with technology is completely nonsense. The only thing the typical person understands tech wise is the small app-pool of social media apps that are in vogue at any given time for their group, and even that is usually a stretch.

Entropic posted:

The only reliable age difference is that young users are slightly more likely to think they know what they're doing when they don't; and older users are slightly more likely to throw up their hands and say "Oh, computers, I don't know anything about computers!" and be completely terrified of even trying to learn how to use something.

If anything, older users tend to be more likely to be the "I can't stand not understanding this, explain everything about this problem and how to prevent it!" type, than younger users.

Dick Trauma posted:

Back around 2007 I was working at an ad agency and we'd have some young interns there around 19-21 learning the trade. That's when I realized that although young people are voracious consumers of technology their knowledge was no deeper than that of any other age group.

There was a massive report published about home-computer use in 2007 in the Netherlands and the gist of it was that while kids used the home computer, dad maintained the computer (and mom ignored the home computer).
Things have changed when it comes to what devices are populair, but I do encounter plenty of (new) students with 3 or more devices on them proclaiming that they're used to their father fixing their laptop for them.

Hargrimm posted:

Same thing with computing devices; the edges got completely sanded off compared to what we grew up with and everything 'just works' so users are never forced to learn anything beyond the surface level.

Build a "foolproof system" and the universe throws a better fool at it, it's a constant arms race and people making (financial) decisions about IT-support should be made more aware of this.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

The biggest complaints about word et al are always about how it doesn't do DTP properly and Microsoft should've integrated publisher into word eons ago to remedy that.

edit:
Although I am aware that a foolproof system is not on the cards ever, that's just not how the world works. Freshman students will bitch and moan about having to learn to computer until the end of days even if we build a computer that can read their minds.

edit2:
And don't get me started about student bitching about us buying ebooks instead of physical ones because they love the feeling of a physical one. Suck it up, you kept stealing them and we are sick of having to buy new ones all the time.

DONT TOUCH THE PC fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Feb 18, 2016

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

>Do you run a nuclear reactor?

"no but i do have a supercomputer that is 15 stories high at my disposal"

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

Kinetica posted:

The frustrating thing about Win10 is that it's been pushed for a year, but I work with scientific instrumentation/software and as far as I know not even the major manufacturers have had a chance to get their software up to 10.

Solution: USE LINUX (...and then get the whole shebang of people wanting to do stuff under Linux that isn't really covered by the available software).

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

ErIog posted:

Like yeah they got news production needs, but they're not CERN running the Large Hadron Collider.

The LHC a was out of commission for two weeks because of a badger, the response to that was most of the teams that work with CERN here just chillaxing until things got better.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

Thanks Ants posted:

If you want a more DIY option to piss some time away on then have a look at https://www.screenly.io/

There's also http://xibo.org.uk/ which we use for the info screens here.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

Collateral Damage posted:

Can't we just unilaterally decide to stop using loving VGA? It's literally the worst connector possible for something that gets plugged and unplugged a lot, and still everyone insists on using it in conference rooms.

It's 2015. If your laptop doesn't have HDMI or DP you're way overdue for an upgrade.

I have a different problem, outdated projectors without any modern connection and modern expensive laptops that do not play nice with them.

Granted, whenever a person high enough starts complaining it'll get budgeted.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

D34THROW posted:

...this is a thing? :wtf:

Best practice is for boring people, live dangerously my friend!

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

Inspector_666 posted:

Why.

Why to all of this.

in my situation: because there's data on there that might chance the fundamental views on how the universe works.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

Judge Schnoopy posted:

that's actually further from the truth than you could imagine. I asked department heads to come up with a list of high, medium, and low priority employees for dual monitor setups. One department head opted himself out, and otherwise only 8 desks were included on the list out of 80.

The olds here think dual monitors are too much hassle and take up their precious desk space

I'm still trying to get people to part from their dusty old desktops that have been switched off for over 3 years, there might be data on there that they could use!
Dual monitors are less of a problem, but there's quite a few people that have them and then look at their tiny laptop screen anyway.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

uPen posted:

Over a month later, they're still using their old failing device because they haven't finished doing whatever it is they're trying to do here. They keep filing tickets to have us reboot/fix the device they're replacing, racking up billable hours when we could do the transfer in 30 minutes? I don't understand people.

eh, I had a manager who was aghast we ran scripts to see what books to pull from the shelves and remove from the library collection, it was supposed to be done by hand.
We simply ignored his directive and continued to do it the modern way, leaving us with more time to actually help people.

Some people think that manual labor is the only proper work and everything else is cheating.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

Aunt Beth posted:

Why do you need to do sums remotely? Your PC should have Excel, or at least a calculator :downsrim:

Heh, we are actively trying to get people to do their large calculations on our cluster and not on their desktop/laptop.
However, people are inheriting their bad habits from their profs and gently caress everyone trying to circumvent our setup so they can do their poo poo like their prof did 40 years ago.

Thankfully we offloaded some support to the people in the different departments and I no longer have to explain why certain python scripts "suddenly" stopped working after being left to rot for 10 years.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

KoRMaK posted:

Wearing a suit I guess is a by product of being a professional or having that mindset as opposed to setting one. I've come around to wearing suits - they make you look nice!

I'm all for wearing a suit for certain occasions, I'm not gonna wear a suit when I have to take apart old computer, crawl under tables, fix printers or anything else.
That's just a way of getting a frequent-flyer discount at your dry cleaner or spend a ridiculous amount of money on new clothes.

Now if the company says, "here wear this" and they provide me with a branded, functional attire for field work, like my dad used to have when he worked as an electrician, that's another story.
That's a professional attire that takes into account what you actually do and not some boneheaded one "size fits all" rule that just makes people hate suits in general.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

divabot posted:

Phew! Good the NHS dodged a bullet; I'm sure they won't go off and be complacent now.

I'm sure the current UK government will give them time and funds to fix the issues and not use this as an excuse to punish them even more.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

spog posted:

Expect more outsourcing that will cost the NHS even more.

divabot posted:

It's OK, I believe Capita has just started a cyber-crypto-bitcoin-crime-secure-thing division who are obviously the ideal organisation to take this forward.

Oh, I'm certain of that happen.

Same with everyone who's talking about Cyber Delta Works in the Netherlands due to this. They probably got a perfect candidate who's willing to do this. :v:

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

spankmeister posted:

Linus is just the "good with computers" kid that went into professional video production instead of IT.

I've heard several "we don't believe in certificates" speeches during interviews in the past months, it's a common belief in the kind-of-tech-but-not-quite companies and in some (not always STEM, but still) parts of academia that "good with computers" is enough for the job. You generally find the worst possible solutions in those places.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

RFC2324 posted:

Really tho, how many of us started out as 'good with computers' and worked from there after being given a chance like that?

Yes, but after 40-odd+ years of IT, there's knowledge about how to implement, how to make IT function as part of a greater process and that's what gets taught in schools.
Me overclocking my CPU at age 18? yeah, fun but not in an business environment.

There's corporate IT and there's home computing. I run into people way too often running corporate IT as if it's their home network and they all say that certificates mean jack poo poo.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

MANime in the sheets posted:

an 'educational' phishing email sent internally last week at my MSP had almost 1/3 of our employees not only click the link, but enter their domain creds. The URL had the word 'phishing' in it.

Yes, businesses need web filters.

Yeah my last place had a list of known phising domains (constantly updated), contentwise there was no filtering.
Most places I used to work at where kids had access usually gave up filtering quick enough, as there was no way to keep up with them and we basically told their teachers to patrol the classroom a bit more.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

quite stretched out posted:

it's not even like she's some 50 year old or an idiot who doesnt understand computers! she's only in her late 20s and she's a smart person!

ahem: The Distribution of Users’ Computer Skills: Worse Than You Think

..and I worked with SUPER SMART people, like: nobel prize smart and they regularly rammed usb cables in hdmi and displayport ports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Ethernet to USB adapters are like $7.

....and you'll be ordering new ones every other week because people misplace them and then one day managment tells you to stop buying them.

• Locked thread