Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Normally I just lurk this thread because unfortunately/fortunately I never seem to get the more interesting cases most of you do. For quick background I do tier 2 support for one division in a big state agency, I have local admin over the ~400 PCs in our division and a few network shares, but no admin access to anything higher up on the network. Today at about 4:50 I get an email that some guy from down south is retiring, luncheon on this date, normal internal spam stuff. I'm in California, our people are spread out over the entire state, but this secretary sent the retirement email to the entire division. That's unusual, normally they just send that kind of thing to the local area since no one's going to drive eight hours to go to a retirement party, but not unheard of. Then about 4:55 I see a recall notice pop up for the message. I've already read the message so I click on the recall just to get it out of my inbox, since this is Exchange the recall doesn't actually do anything. Then at 4:57 another recall notice comes up. Then two more. So I figure I better go back and look at the original retirement email to see why this secretary's so frantically trying to recall it. It looks normal enough, except there's a 5MB PDF attachment, which seems kind of big for a retirement flier.

I'm assuming a retirement flier is what the secretary meant to attach, because what she actually attached was a scanned copy of his retirement packet, which contained his last few timesheets, various retirement forms with his home address and social security number, and his retirement financial information. I don't know much about Exchange, I emailed our Exchange admins to ask if there was any way to delete the message, or at least the attachment, from everyone's mailbox, but they basically said nope, she's screwed. Am I right it guessing that it would be technically possible, but it would involve dealing with the mailboxes on a one-by-one basis, so they just don't want to? Even if that's the case I'm not going to ask them to do it, since that would be several hundred mailboxes. The only upside for her is that as a state agency we deal with peoples' addresses, social security numbers, and other details all day so it's pretty unlikely anyone will actually do anything with the information, but I'm guessing she's not sleeping well tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Crowley posted:

You can do it with a bit of PowerShell wizardry. Here's a link.

In this case I'd do it because a retirement package is highly personal information that certainly shouldn't be published to a bunch of random people. (I'm no USian, but isn't that just begging for a lawsuit?)
Thanks, but I don't think our Exchange admins even know what Powershell is. I'd certainly consider this a pretty serious incident and if I had access to the servers I'd do whatever it took to get the message out of there, but all the important people above me have been notified, and none of them seem to care, so oh well.

To give you an idea of what our Exchange admins are like, here's the current fight we're having with them. We pay for a Cisco appliance to send encrypted emails. Any email with [SECURE] as the first thing in the subject line gets directed to a secure Cisco site that requires the recipient to register and log in, and Cisco provides an Outlook plugin that adds a toolbar button that automatically prepends the [SECURE]. For some reason our recent upgrade to Exchange 2010 broke this plugin, even though I would have thought it was entirely clientside. When we asked the Exchange admins to help troubleshoot, their response was that they don't like the button, and that we should instruct our users to just manually type [SECURE] in. They have yet to provide any reason for why they don't like the button, and now we have to try to convince them users are never going to remember what to type where.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Lord Dudeguy posted:

If you (the customer) send me (the institution) a sensitive document, it's not my responsibility if it gets leaked. If I (the institution) send you (the customer) a sensitive document, it's on me if it gets leaked (until it reaches your server, then it's on you).

The folly of e-mail security appliance deployment is that companies like to blanket-deploy it. Instead of intelligently handling e-mail if the recipient does/does not support TLS encryption, they just say "gently caress it" and throw everything at the appliance.

That's really all those appliances are for: If a recipient server only supports unencrypted SMTP, you use secure mail to force the recipient to retrieve their messages over HTTPS. The message never gets "transmitted" unless the wire is encrypted. Or, you set up TLS whitelists to avoid the whole mess.
Yep, our secure email method is terrible, and a lot of the recipients have real trouble getting it, but it's basically the only way to cover our asses when sending data out. On the other side when our people receive encrypted mail notiications, our Websense usually blocks the site they have to log in to as "webmail", and then we have to deal with that. There's really an untapped market out there for anyone who can come up with an easy way to do secure messaging over the Internet.

Paladine_PSoT posted:

:downs: Here's the video of the perpetrator officer
:cop: This video is terrible
:downs: 320x240 2fps is the best we can do
:cop: don't you have better cameras?
:downs: yeah, but they're pointed at our menus
Time to relocate all the locations' safes to be ceiling-mounted behind the video menu. Problem solved :pseudo:

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Is Remembrance Day not a holiday in Europe? Considering how much more attention people pay to it over there I'm surprised people don't get off work today. It's a federal/state holiday in the US so I get it off, but people barely pay attention to it. They probably would have taken it away from us if it wasn't for the fact the our stupid employee union would freak out and play the Are Troops card.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Visio is our $SOFTWARE that I keep having to explain why we can't just put on everyone's computer, no matter how good your business justification is. I even got asked by my boss' boss why this one unit doesn't have Visio on all their PCs when she's the one who turned down our attempt to buy more Visio licenses earlier this year because it was too expensive and "not mission critical".

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

We're in the middle of our Windows 7 deployment, and one guy returned his old XP laptop with a thank you note and a box of Sees candy. It was kinda creepy.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

AllTerrineVehicle posted:

Coworker asks if I can move a PC, since they're busy. I say sure, just forward me the info.

:shepicide:

EDIT: I should add that before I got this it was communicated as urgent, which is the true source of my annoyance.
This would be a somewhat legitimate request at my place since people have to watch training videos on the intranet from time to time, and I wish they'd use headphones. Way too many people just blare out their horrible classes for the whole office to hear. Also anything that gets the PC off the dustbunny and spaceheater infested floor is a plus.

It's definitely not urgent though.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Did I miss history major chat? BA in History with a minor in Latin here. I never even expected to be able to use it.

Our Exchange was down half the day today. We're half-way through the 2003-2010 migration so I figured it was related to that, but apparently the real reason was multiple people trying to send several megabyte Christmas cards to every single address in our agency (which is like 6000 addresses), then other people reply-alling to those cards with their own cards.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Loose Ifer posted:

There's no one even here, i don't know why they make anyone work.
I've been using the day to send out a bunch of requests to other departments I've been meaning to do but hadn't got around to. Some people are going to come back to find a big queue of work. Merry Christmas.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

We have an Optiplex GX2something that somehow against all the odds has survived to host an offline database for like the last 10 years. We've told the unit it's with it won't be replaced when it dies, and they've said they're fine with that, but they want it available until then. I think we replaced the hard drive once about five years ago, but unlike every other Dell from that era the motherboard's been rock solid.

Also, it's hosting extremely confidential information, on an unencrypted Windows 2000/Filemaker 6 setup, and because everyone kept being confused about why it wouldn't take their AD password they just wrote the login information on a piece of paper taped to the top of it. I used to try taking the paper away but then they'd just complain the machine was "broken", and once I showed any one of them how to log in the paper would come back so eventually I gave up.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

drukqs posted:

its been downloading for 10 minutes and its still at zero percent..

:negative:

last check for updates - - 9/1/2011
I had to do a Windows 7/Office 2010 install from scratch recently, on a Lenovo T60 that's at least six years old, on a DSL that could only manage about 100kbps down. By my count it took six reboots spread over three business days to finally download and install all the patches, and that's with me catching that it needed Office 2010 SP2 and installing it from an MSI. Sadly I didn't catch that my source disk didn't have Win7 SP1 bundled, so it pulled that down somewhere along the line. This morning I finally got it down to where it said it only had one update available, some .NET 4.5 client patch, I let it download and install that, it rebooted and somehow immediately found 86 more updates available. I started Wednesday morning sometime, I was out sick Friday, it finally finished Monday around 4:00. I don't understand why there's still no way to tell Windows to just go, install your updates and reboot, found more update after that reboot? Good, install those, repeat as needed. I know you can, and we do, do that on domain devices, but updating standalone PCs is a nightmare.

Also gently caress whoever made the default power settings on Windows 7 to go to sleep after 30 minutes, even when plugged in to AC, and to have it still count as "idle" even if it's actively installing updates. I lost half a day right there.

Inspector_666 posted:

I got a job assigned the other day to go setup scanning on a Canon imageRunner, everything just goes to a dumping folder on the fileserver, but even that is usually a loving nightmare because ~printers~

Nope, this princely piece of Japanese hardware let me browse to the folder I wanted, then asked in plain English for the username and password, then confirmed they worked before adding the destination to the address book.

I swear to god I felt an angelic hand on my shoulder when I ran the test document through.
We buy a lot of Canon Pixma series all-in-ones and I really like them. We really just need the scanner side but it's hard to find a standalone scanner nowadays so we might as well just throw a printer on the bottom for the same price. If you do a full install they come with just as much bloatware as the HPs we used to get, but unlike the HPs it's actually easy to chose to install just the barebones driver and a scanner app, it doesn't force you to install all the T-shirt printing software and web surveys like the HPs. They've held up a lot better than the HPs too, no more mysteriously deciding to no longer show up to the PC anymore after working fine for years. My only complaint with them is that if the printer side runs out of ink it totally locks up the device until you replace it, it won't even let you scan anymore. Also one really didn't like it when someone somehow decided to run a stack of stapled paper through the printer's intake tray, then roughly yanked it out when it jammed. That one's not a multi-function anymore, it's just a scanner now.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

madsushi posted:

Or you could actually give them a real solution and help them break down the PST into yearly (or more frequent) archives so that they get to keep their email and they get good performance.
I'll set up as many new PSTs as people want, but damned if I'm going to help them sort through an existing PST. I'm not going to spend all my day dragging messages around for them just because they still don't understand how drag-and-drop works.

I really wish my place had a rule on email retention.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

On the topic of users putting files in weird places, last week I was helping someone move from one computer to another. Somewhere along the line the message of "we'll help you copy everything you have saved on your C: drive" got misconstrued, so she copied everything on her desktop to the root of C: to "help us out". Fortunately Windows 7 default view only shows like four directories in the root of C: since everything else is hidden/system so it was easy enough to move everything off while leaving the important stuff behind

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Fenrisulfr posted:

Just had a ticket come in: "Some people can't get to our public website from their bookmarks; typing the URL manually works fine." :psyduck:

I'm not the most knowledgeable when it comes to this kind of thing, but am I wrong in being completely loving baffled? We can't reproduce this issue and most reports of it are a week+ old and they're all second-hand (I don't do public IT) so of course nobody can give me any actual details. Nothing about our website has changed recently and the only answers I can come up with that seems any kind of reasonable is that either people had bookmarked some weird old redirecting site that no-one knew about and was pruned without notice, or that there's something about this issue that's not making it past user ignorance and retellings (which is infinitely more likely).

I've asked around to see if anyone can get me information like browser version and bookmark URLs but other than that I don't even know where to start looking.
If it's end-users, it might not even be an old redirect. I've seen lots of cases where people bookmark some random page on a site, then click back to the home page from there. If that subpage ever disappears, then they complain the site's broken.

A lot of our people "bookmark" a site by saving it as a MHT file on their desktop.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Tell him if it bothers him that much he's welcome to release his own fansub of your manual.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

It happened, I found the user with the worst mouse ever.

http://ergo.contour-design.com/ergonomic-mouse/rollermouse-pro2

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Dick Trauma posted:

EDIT: I should write a children's book called "Things that fit into a USB port"
Just start a Tumblr: http://thingsfittingperfectlyintothings.tumblr.com/

I once spent like half an hour troubleshooting a printer where I'd tried to plug in a USB cord around the back by feel and found the NIC instead. USB A just fits so well into RJ45, it feels right if you don't notice the gap above and below.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Great Beer posted:

He sends it to me as a single gigantic .JPG file. :smithicide:
It could be worse.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

"Recommend introduction of new orange class to allow errors to be combined and reduce overall number."

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

A call came in. A user was setting his screen resolution so low that the Acrobat Reader print dialog wouldn't fit on the screen, because "the text is too small" otherwise. He couldn't click print because the print button was off the screen, so he wanted to know if I could disable the dialog so it would "just print right away". I don't get the thought process behind deciding being unable to read the screen at a decent resolution is a computer problem rather than an eyeball one. Do these people call up book and newspaper publishers to complan that their print is too small?

In his defense though the print in our lovely database is pretty small, and it's an Oracle app so of course it completly ignores Windows' font settings.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Roargasm posted:

What the gently caress valediction am I supposed to use besides Thanks? Respectfully? That dude SUCKS. The only person in my whole building who insists on being on a last name basis with me is a first year :allears:
gg next ticket

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Sprechensiesexy posted:

Speaking of voice, where I work users have developed the tendency to type out what they hear when they have issues with phone calls, mostly when they don't speak English as a native language. I now have to deal with tickets where I have to troubleshoot gems such as "When I call to $country I hear kla kla kla, especially when they use small voice". The kla kla kla can be replaced by phu phu phu or plok plok plok.
Is this their attempt at typing out some kind of tone, or are they just racist and putting in tickets like "When I call China all I hear is 'ching chong ching'"? Because the second one's more of a personal problem.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

blackswordca posted:

I'm working out of the main office instead of the client site this week. Hazzah.

Not a tech issue, but still a worrying one. I got here this morning and there was no workstation for me, they had given away my old desktop I used before being transferred to the client site full time. I found out that sometime in the last six months they started making all new employees buy their workstations. They tried to push that on me, I told them it wasn't going to happen.
Is it like they're expected to reimburse the company for an existing device or order through a preselected supply chain, or is it straight-up "Come back Monday with a computer". Because I can't even begin to imagine how you'd support the latter. Are they on a domain? Are they being wiped and reinstalled when they come in or are they all running Windows Home full of bloatware? What if someone buys a Mac? Do you have to rebuy the Mac version of the software. Or are they buying the software too?

So many horrible scenarios :psyduck:

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

afflictionwisp posted:

I'm genuinely surprised. Its the room where women who are nursing can go to have some privacy. You don't always see it labeled with ambiguous names, but its pretty clear in the context of being there.
Here they're flat-out called "lactation rooms", and it's mandatory every office have one they keep just for that purpose, even if it's a small remote office that's short on storage space and only staffed by five men.

More on topic, a call came in this morning. A user was having trouble adding 30 pictures as email attachments, at a few meg each.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I'm always impressed by users' ability to linger annoyingly over your shoulder for just up to the point when you need to ask or show them something, then when you turn around they've mysteriously disappeared. Today the user decided me replacing their computer was a good time to wander away to a nearby vacant cube and call their bank or something where they promptly sat on the line on hold. At least they offered to hang up when I needed them to test something.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

The Cubelodyte posted:

I had that problem with a couple of guys that (thankfully) moved on. One of them (a temp) was just a lump; the dude had zero initiative. And then he got upset when he applied for a career opening and didn't get it. Huh, go figure. The other used to watch them pile up and then start complaining that nobody was taking them. Of course, he wasn't bothering to take any, either. gently caress that guy.
One of my coworkers tends to take a ticket, then proceed to just sit on it for weeks on end. Sometimes the user will eventually call me about an issue I have no idea is happening, then I'll look and see a ticket was opened two weeks ago but I never even read the description because I saw it was already assigned. But then sometimes he'll work a ticket but not pick it up, so I'll take it and contact the user only to find it was already taken care of.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

The big thing I'm looking at is the upgrade from Windows 7 to 8 (or 9 or whatever) in 2020. With thin clients, everything would be done behind the scenes and then one day you turn on your computer and it's the new version.
We're kinda in the middle of doing this now at my place, my division's not particiapting but the department as a whole is phasing out about 2000 PCs for zero-clients. Because of government purchasing quirks it's apparently turned out to be more expensive to buy new zero-clients and VMWare/virtualzed Win7 licenses than it would have been to just buy new PCs and use our existing Win7 licenses, but no one did the math right ahead of time. Oops.

Also they forgot to buy VMWare licenses beyond the ones for the pilot, so as soon as they started rolling out wide they immediately hit the license limit, so now everything's ground to a halt a month before the XP deadline. I'm so glad our division stayed out of it.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

A ticket came in, but not to us thankfully. Last weekend the phone system in one of our small and older buildings died somehow, I only got the story second-hand from non-technical people but the tales ranged from "it caught on fire" to "it melted'. Either way something blew, and all last week the entire first floor had a chemical smell. But they won't prop open and doors because of :supaburn: security :supaburn:, so they've had big industrial fans giving the smell a nice circular tour of the first floor.

By the end of the week they had people start making (totally justifiable) medical claims and staying home, meanwhile we're trying to swap out their PCs with Windows 7 ones. This is completely out of our area, but I don't know what they expect to happen if they don't open the doors. I guess the regular ventilation system will vent the smell out eventually, but it's going to take weeks.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

When April rolls around some whitehat needs to start hacking into networks through all the XP holes that are bound to pop up and just start leaving text files on their shares saying "Hi, I was able to gain access to your network via XP security hole x, you need to upgrade". IT departments the world over would thank him.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

AlternateAccount posted:

I am not necessarily looking to bash hard on MS here, but is there a WORSE methodology out there for email storage than PST files? Was it at one point legitimate and it just can't scale to this degree?
Thousands of individual emails saved as .msg files? Fortunately most of the people who liked to File>Save As their email seem to be retiring out, that must have been standard practice in some client used around my place forever ago because the people that do that are always the old-timers.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Ozz81 posted:

...what idiot at this UPS manufacturer thought it was a good idea to give the same model number to like 7 different products in their lineup? :psyduck:
Every few years I get the urge to start playing with video capture stuff at home, then promptly get bored any never actually get around to riping old home movies or setting up a MythTV box or anything, but this has led me to buying several video capture cards over the years. Since I'm on Linux at home I always have to do research beforehand to figure out which models will actually work with my setup, and standard procedure for all video capture card manufacturers seems to be to change the internal components of their cards/dongles every few years while keeping the same model number. If you're lucky they'll be a little tiny "Rev. C" or something similar on the packaging, but in a lot of cases the things are completely indistinguishable until you can get it out of the package and look for a manufacturing date or see the chip itself. Doing end-user phone support for those companies must be a nightmare.

I remember the wireless networking world used to be the same way, but Linux pretty much supports all wireless chipsets flawlessly now so I haven't had to pay attention. Of course this remains the reigning champion of useless model numbers: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linksys_WRT54G_series

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

So I was remoted to a laptop today installing a printer when suddenly the laptop drops off the network. It was right around 4:00 so I figure the user was probably leaving and shut off the laptop out of habit, and I send them an email to let me know when the laptop was back on the network so I could finish the install. About 10 minutes later I get an email back from the user. They were trying to put a memory card into the laptop's SD slot but it wasn't fitting right, so they pulled the card back out and when they did that the laptop shut itself off and a little bit of smoke came out of the card slot. But now they'd powered the laptop back up and it seemed to be okay so I could continue with the printer install.

Needless to say that laptop is on its way back to me tonight, and tomorrow I get to try to figure out how you mess up plugging in an SD card so bad you blow a capacitor. The only thing I can think is they have some Sony equipment in the office so maybe they were trying to plug in a Memory Stick instead, but I still don't see how you could do that in such a way to complete a circuit and pop something.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

CommanderApaul posted:

It finally happened to me. Everytime I've seen the story, I chalk it up as another "users can't possibly be that stupid" tall tale like the cd tray breaking off from being used as a cupholder.

I'm sitting at another user's desk getting the standard loadout of post-Win7 upgrade software/drivers installed and about to go through my spiel about how PDFMaker from Acrobat X isn't going to work in Office 2013, when another user from up the cubicle row comes up and tells me that he's missing emails that he was storing in his Deleted Items folder in Outlook.

The worst part is that the files he was looking for are actually still there, he just needed to click the "Get More From Exchange" link at the bottom of the list...
I've seen people make subfolders within their Deleted Items folder to help organize it better.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

This would be easy to do for free with PDQ Inventory / Deploy. You would just set up a dynamic collection that found all XP machines, then a scheduled task that ran every however many minutes that did whatever you wanted in terms of locking them out / changing background / etc.
Our AD guy started trying to figure out how he was going to block our remaining XP machines yesterday, the day the block was supposed to go live. I have no idea why he didn't start earlier, he knew it was coming.

Part of the problem is they want they want the machines unable to access the Internet except for this big whitelist of "mission-critical" websites, so we can't just kill the NICs or net access altogether. I kind of doubt our people have the skills to make this happen.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Inspector_666 posted:

It should be trivial to push out approved content lists for IE. Making the OU should be pretty easy based on what other people have said, too.
OUs were how I suggested we go about it, but was told it would be too much work to create and maintin duplicate OUs for the XP machines alongside our regular OUs. So instead they're doing a global GP to check OS version and push out a dummy proxy/whitelist at logon. If policy doesn't apply right, which happens a lot in our environment, oops, full Internet access.

Sickening posted:

Your admins can't modify and deploy host files?
XP doesn't seem to parse the host file the way other OSes do, in the 15 minutes or so I spent looking into it I couldn't find a way to tell it to redirect all web traffic to localhost. Plus a smart user could always get out by IP.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Sickening posted:

You don't have to reorg your ou's. You use WMI filtering on the group policy objects you make so they only apply to xp.

Your admins are not very skilled.
Yeah, I don't really know anything about AD administration myself, but I know enough to know that a lot of the stuff that should be basic AD functionality seems to be a real challenge for them.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Dear IT thread, I never thought it would happen to me... A user got an email about some kind of email archiving process failing. He printed the error email out, scanned it on a network scanner that emailed him the original error email as a PDF attachment, then forwarded the scanner email with the PDF to me to ask for help.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

"...and then a backslash, that's the one above the enter key. No, that's a forward slash, the backslash is above the enter key. No, that's a dash, a slash is the up and down one. It's right above the enter key. Yes, that's it."

And yes I know on some keyboards backslash is somewhere weird, but not on any of the ones in our enviroment, and these people aren't exactly the kind to sneak in a special keyboard from home.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

EuphrosyneD posted:

The 1022n has a nasty habit of crashing and burning (and taking the entire Windows printer subsystem with it) when fed PDF files or other file formats.

Usually I've only ever seen it happen with PDFs.
For the record we had a bunch of 1020s that had this problem, and it doesn't seem to happen with whatever driver Windows 7 pulls down from Microsoft Update. Just stay away from the official HP driver.

Or it may just not happen as often, because we got rid of the bulk of our 1020s once it became evident this bug made them essentially usesless to deploy anywhere remote since they had the potential to completely kill a machine's ability to print until an admin could interviene. I haven't seen it happen on Win7 yet though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

ookiimarukochan posted:

Given the people we are talking about I'd not be surprised to find out the password is something like DCAdminPassword123
I think you're still overestimating them that's way too long, and how are people supposed to remember which words are shortened and which are written out? Surely just the '123' part is good enough, who would think to try that?

That or the password is written on a post-it on the DC itself.

• Locked thread