Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Dick Trauma posted:

Old images I dug up:

1. This was the result of my first pass through the storage room at my old place. All of this is worthless old poo poo Tony was saving. I actually got into arguments with him over some of this crap. All of this is from 2009/2010.

Nice quantum bigfoot drive. I remember those from like 95-96 when I was a pc tech at best buy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Mr. Clark2 posted:

Got this in an email a little while ago:

"Lynn walked into the wall behind Claudia's desk. At approximately 1:40 today. Please let me know if you have this on video... Please please please"

I used to have admin on our DVR at old site (rapideye) and did client setups. None of the few client users knew how to do anything except watch live so they came to me to find out who kept pissing all over the men's room floor. I really wish I had a ticket for that, print it frame it and ship to my boss. As fun as that sounded I had to recuse myself from that task it was me and show them how to use the rewind fast forward and goto time/date buttons.

If no one abused their cctv privileges ever we'd not have been laughing for 10+ years before youtube even maybe at that fat lady who fell down a hole in the floor.

Did DickBag 95 have dev input from Peter Norton? lovely 90s software was all about Peter.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

bort posted:

You have cameras in your bathrooms?

You could see bathroom entrance from a couple cameras (guess i should've mentioned that) they kept getting reports of pissfloor and were trying to match up an entrant to a time. Shaky evidence I didn't want to be involved in any way.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
No but I shoud've started, they'd never expect 2, would throw them completely off their game.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

bort posted:

And also, how dare you. Early 1990s Peter Norton was a god.

e: smiling at you from that yellow box. :allears:

Dos apps you mean yes? Nc.exe

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Aug 14, 2013

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Got a ticket for a new hire today, start date 8/07.

I email the manager "hey I see you might have a new person coming in but I think they messed up the start date on this ticket"

"No she's good, she actually has been here since 8/07"

"Oh ok. Sorry, I guess helpdesk was slow sending me this. Where do i need to setup a pc? You should have called me 8/06 when I didn't show up with one."

"She's good for a PC she's using sheilas old PC we fired her months ago."

"You realize when you fire someone there's a process to follow more involved than just telling that unlucky person, yes? her network and VPN would still be active, I'm also supposed to take the PC and take her name off the inventory so you don't keep getting charged for it."

"Oh."

I've heard from hr people that on their side of things, managers failing to notify anyone also results in salary people still getting paid and hourly people if theyre crafty will still login to the (internet facing) time clock put in hours and get paid.

We have a single email box called "terminations" that a 10 second email to takes care of all hr, facilities and it concerns.

Now I get to tell this new person why I'm going to cause her an hour or more of downtime to replace the (to her) perfectly good PC with another same-model one.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Aug 15, 2013

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
So I thought about one of the old threads and did this yesterday:

Too much? I should probably do blue arrow ones manually every once in a while to keep them mysterious.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
If it's company property that wasn't removed from the building the cops aren't going to care, it's still in possession of the company.

Personal stuff yes you probably could get them involved but if it's work-related personal stuff and he was getting into it to do work with you really shouldn't involve the cops. Get it returned, get his/your boss to make sure he knows not to do this.

edit: I wouldn't get HR involved either, if the bosses think he needs a note in his file or something for it let them manage that, part of their job.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Aug 29, 2013

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Our disk image modifies bios to set a PW (pw just to access bios setup) and remove everything except hdd0 from the boot order. We have bit locker full disk. I always assumed pw + no cd/usb boot was a sorta weak but why not 2nd line of defense for a situation where a laptop went missing then later on a bitlocker vuln was discovered.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Wait, they're using their phone data to use phone voice? They couldn't just dial the number?

My wife and many other people have 15+ minute long sms conversations that could be covered in about 45 seconds of speaking so this almost seems more normal. Look at this picture of chewbacca.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
I had to leave the house late today but right before I left an email came in (no ticket of course, my boss CC'ed on) from an EA. Then a phone call.

"The C*O's laptop is down will not boot." Phone call was much the same.

So I'm already 30 mins late getting in and I'm rushing around getting ready, driving fast to get there.

She hands me this old T60, I think it strange an exec has a T60 (but he is from another office) I haven't seen one since 2009, nope, it's just the EA's old laptop she keeps around to login AS him to handle stuff a few things that are a bit easier for her to do for him on a laptop separate from her normal one.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Sep 4, 2013

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

anthonypants posted:

I am sick and loving tired of printer issues. What in the gently caress makes you think it's okay for a Business Inkjet 2800 to use the loving driver for a loving Color Inkjet cp1700?

You should have your boss and facilities guys BAN personal printers. Mine did little over a year ago. It's been wonderful. :smug:

I'll never forget the sight of a PM walking around the floor with a big cart like the "bring out your dead" guy seizing everyone's inkjets and LJ2100s.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Sep 4, 2013

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
I mean personal-sized printers, people didn't bring them from home. Surely these aren't networked? Please tell me they're not.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

drukqs posted:

Our current break room presentation screen has one of these slim machines tucked behind a television. It totally choked up and hung during a presentation by a very important person.

Wouldn't people get more done/feel more comfortable using their own laptop with their own 250+ desktop icons? We have TVs in conf rooms with a vga cable under the floor coming out the table.

(at 1st it was no more personal printers, now with these TVs hung up, no more projectors!)

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Now let's see if I can still remember my ICQ number... edit to follow.

For shame, 61738 was my prodigy id in middle school early 90s on the family's $2000 486 25mhz. (Internet detectives: go.)

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Didn't get a ticket, again, just an IM. "My boss tried to make adobe my default now I can't open anything"

Somehow her boss associated .lnk files with Word. (where adobe comes in I have no idea)

I have no clue how you could even do that, I couldn't find anything in the UI to undo it there was a .lnk entry in the control panel set defaults, it did say word but was greyed out, some googling led me to a .lnk reg key in hkcu...\explorer\fileexts that I deleted and all was well.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

It's quite simple as to how to do it - Select a shortcut to a document, PDF etc. Right click -> open with -> select the program and tick "Always open using this program for this type of file". It has to be a shortcut for a document, not the document itself.

Or at least, someone on our helpdesk was able to replicate by doing that.

I had to try this, but it didn't work for me. Win 7. I was sure you were going to be right and I would have another :argh: Bill! WTF? :argh: moment.

I created a non-priv account like our users are, I made a shortcut to an mp4 and a shortcut to a pdf. I don't have word on here but I assoc'ed the linked mp4 to imgburn and the pdf to crystal diskinfo, it didn't gently caress with any .lnks/shortcuts but simply associated all mp4s with imgburn, all pdfs with crystal.

How did these users do it? Why does MS still have a way to break a core functionality?

Another poster up higher said it always happens with word for him, happened with word at our place today happens with catsblast for you I guess I should try it with them, maybe something screwy with them instead of just windows.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Sep 11, 2013

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

dennyk posted:

You can also point out the people who spend their days maintaining and administering servers and the people who spend their days cleaning up after hapless Windows desktop users, evidently. :v: File extensions are just fine; they're an OS-agnostic method to identify a file type within the filename itself, which not only makes it easy to tell what files are when working with them manually, it makes it easy to create scripts to manipulate files based on their types without having to delve into some proprietary meta-information to figure it out.

The real problem is that Windows associates files with applications, including system-executed files like .lnk shortcuts and even .exe files, based solely on the file extension, which makes it easier to accidentally (or maliciously) screw something up. Filename extensions don't need to go away, Windows just needs to use an alternate method like file metadata or magic pattern matching (or even a combination of methods) to determine file associations, not just the filename extension.

I'm 100% with you 1st paragraph on why they're good. 2nd one, I differ a little, I do think associating extensions with an app is a good thing and agree with the way windows does it, I want 100% of 3gp, mp4, avi etc video files associated with vlc because its better/simpler than what windows offers but I'm ok with jpg, gif, png etc opening in picture/fax viewer because it's acceptable, but something like .lnk files that ONLY windows would know what it is, it's just completely off the wall bonkers insane that one could be allowed to associate it with word or do anything at all to that association, if you could (and you can, somehow we know) you turn every icon from calculator to visio in your start menu to a word icon that doesn't do poo poo, you essentially have a softbrick, (and if you're serious about .exe I'm going to go put in an application at the carwash)

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Sep 11, 2013

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
I don't care about drinking at work, the few times I've tried to have a couple drinks at lunch all I wanted to do was sleep the rest of the day. I want to know about grills! Where do you work that trusts cube drones to walk through the building with raw meat?

Big multi-national corp here, facilities guy was putting together outdoor furniture the other day, I told him he shut put a grill out there too. He thought that kicked rear end but said there's no was it'd be allowed.

A friend used to be a dealer tech and seems like every time I'd go over there to bs or use a lift they'd be cooking steaks.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

SubjectVerbObject posted:

On with computer maintenance scammer right now.

Somehow I've never heard of this. I wonder if their remote desktop.exe actually gives them remote desktop or if it's just some generic zombie trojan.

I'm tempted to setup a VM to keep handy that has wallpaper for the FBI or Pakistani intelligence agency or something they'd like to own a whole bunch, let them in and see what it is then cut the internet connection.

"oops I slipped cutting my steak and cut this gray wire in half. Can you send me a new one?"

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Here comes that son of a bitch mcafee to gently caress it all up!

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Maybe some type of warning or indicator light could be implemented in keyboards or laptops to let you know the num/caps-lock is on. Forget OS-level, that's HW level there and should result in no confusion.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Stupid question: does xp natively support burning DVDs from the send to menu? Or just CDs? Trying to help someone over the phone and googling this some people say yes, some say no.

New drive isn't even showing there, it does on explorer though.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Sep 18, 2013

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Alctel posted:

We still use BES and only issue Blackberries. It actually works really well.

Same here. I don't do bes admin but know the guy who does and he doesn't complain. We've never had a problem except that time the whole world's blackberrys went offline because they're for some reason routed through RIM's datacenter.

I do new activations and support for the BB feature-phones themselves. While they sure are boring & suck to use, support is a dream, they never have problems other than hw failures.

We used to let anyone connect anything byod or any random phone they bought through the company to an activesync server and that sucked in every imaginable way. Especially password changing time, every day is someone's password change day.

We're going byod with GOOD! here sometime soon.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Sep 19, 2013

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Citizen Z posted:

There is nothing good about Good. On Android, at any rate.

We only have one pilot user of it at my site, iphone. I only played around with it for a few minutes, thought it was neat you can access intranet pages. What's wrong with the Android version?

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
What kind of geeks are you that you don't have a multi-tool on your person at all times?

Leatherman micra here on keychain, I found it under a raised floor 10ish years ago in building we took over. And a backup / SHTF swiss key in my wallet. Big fat Gerber is in the glove box.

USB bottle opener is cool and I'd totally get one except I don't ever really use USB drives and have bunches of them.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Sep 21, 2013

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

rolleyes posted:

you literally need one more word in there to prevent that from looking retarded. Why not 'use', it's only another 4 characters including the space.

Surf would prevent it from looking retarded but will make it sound retarded. Is that one finally going away?

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Sep 26, 2013

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
A good reference image for adjusting rgb values between 2 displays?

We have some 55" LCDs on the walls to display stats, they each are driven by a PC in a wiring closet and some VGA over twisted pair boxes made by extron, they work great. Needed another LCD up there but found out we can't buy extron anymore, had to get some geffen brand. I didn't notice when I set it up but a user of it pointed out to me the "Christmas red and green" of his app looked pea green and pink. These new boxes have rgb adjustment screws, I'll display the same image on a good old extron one and the new lovely geffen one and twist poo poo till it looks right. Or is there a more methodical geeky way of going about this? The TV settings themselves are correct if you plug PC in directly or watch cable.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Gonna start an inventory where you don't have one? That happened to me once. I like the suggestions here better than what I did to get my rough draft but I don't have enough ad rights to do what these suggestions say.

My way was a cli util called netusers.exe, will show you logged in user of whatever IP or name you give as a %1 to it. I made a .bat that did this app in a do/for loop of every IP in our old site's 2 subnets and >>'ed the output to a file. Ran the .bat a few times a day for a few days and I had 99% of what I needed minus people travelling or on PTO.

Edit I cleaned up/compiled all the output files with unixutils for windows grep then excel.

Edit again: my inspiration to do this was a (hypothetical) .bat I made thought of making years earlier to scan every ip's c$ for mp3z for me to copy.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Oct 2, 2013

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
So dumb question, I've seen desktop guys in here talking about telling users "don't give me your password".

Whenever I need to be on as a user I have to get their password, and that's standard for all desktop guys at my company, what are you all doing? resetting it to something and giving them the new pw you set? Or is there a way to make a temporary second "technician" password? Something's come up recently that I'm thinking of asking my boss to look into alternatives to our s.o.p.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

ConfusedUs posted:

Really? You do that? And people actually give you the passwords?

That's awful security.

Yes there are ways around it.

Yeah we do, always have. What are the ways around it?

Remoting in to an already logged in workstation won't work all the time, Sometimes I'll have to reboot and log in as them again, the screen could lock if I walk away for a bit, most of the time I take their laptop back to my workroom and even if I could track them down, they'd probably be annoyed at me calling them back here to type their pw x times.

Literally the only thing I can think of is resetting it and then giving them the new one but that comes with its own problems.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
I'm doing something at least once a day that I need to be logged on as a user and I prefer to be back in my cave, I get swarmed when seen out on the floor. If I do sit down at a desk with a user, working with them on a problem, people will seriously walk up and start talking to me without an "excuse me" or an "everyone in my dept forgot the helpdesk #" or anything, just bam, interruption.

So I remote control what I can, the user will already be logged in and on the phone with me. I do a lot of machine swaps/win7 upgrades and if it's xp to start with, I have to get pw to decrypt efs files, if it's a high-level person I want to login as them and make sure all works as them before they're in the office next for about a half hour before they get on their next flight.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Oct 2, 2013

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

GreenNight posted:

drat, you need to walk around more often if you're always getting swarmed.

They're supposed to call in tickets.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

GreenNight posted:

I personally feel that for IT, walking around is good customer service.

I'd agree with you and would/will in some cases create a ticket for a person who stops me/calls me/emails me but I usually have a bit of a backlog on tickets that people actually did take the time to call in and it's really not fair to them for me to put someone in front of them, letting that person skip procedures, skip 1st level helpdesk troubleshooting just because.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
For a single desktop tech, 350 pcs (~275 laptops ~75 desktops, 50% are out of wtty) 600 monitors, 400 voip phones, 100 mobiles. Is that about right? low? high? way high?

And what's the best way to ask my remote boss (who doesn't see 1% of what I do) for a temp for a month or more?

I've been on my own at a satellite office for some years now. Before a bunch of M&As happened I worked at the corp office (now dissolved by M&A) and there was a rule of 120pcs per tech, no phones, that was cake (but we did printers too) so this definitely seems high compared to that. We have a work-from-home (250 miles) network guy who's in our office every once in a while and he always comments that he's amazed that they have only me. Said he even asked my boss one time while he was at boss's site about me and boss assured him my workload is within industry guidelines.

Anyway to the point, Behind on my tickets that came in and I now have 50 new power-laptops for 50 power-users that need installed. These guys will have all kinds of crazy apps, needs and volume of data. I'd be lucky if I could get one swap done in a day assuming I can actually have a morning where no one's having problems stopping me from starting on one. Best case: 2 or 3 a week.

We used to be 250 people and there was going to be a big hiring of 100 people over 3 months, remote bossman sent me 100 laptops and a temp well in advance that time but he's not mentioned/asked anything at all this time about a temp. In my mind 50 power user laptop swaps is lots more work than 100 new hires especially when those 100 hires were known to be spread out over 3 months.

What do I ask? for a temp straight out? or "so uhh, it's ok if I take 4 months/80 workdays or more to get this done myself yeah?"

Edit: I am hourly/non-exempt and the thought of bootstrapping and doing 10 hours a weekend and adding 30% to my paycheck for 2 or 3 months sounds pretty cool if I could find the motivation.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Oct 17, 2013

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

guppy posted:

"it comes up error."

Some important data came in to an employee here, in the form of a vmware vmdk file. What the gently caress? No vmx or anything else, he doesn't need to boot a vm just needs the data. We don't use vmware here is there a recommended free util that can extract data from a vmdk file? I'm seeing lots of stuff on google, some pay some not.

I have vmware w/s at home I think I can do it with without the vmx and everytihg else, but no.

edit: this looks interesting http://vmxray.com/ browser-based file-extractor. Getting the drive with this vmdk on it in just a bit to try it.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Oct 18, 2013

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Gwaihir posted:

... poo poo, I'm one of them, a user. I think I hosed up and skipped one of the fields on the form :saddowns:

Should I just fill it out a second time? (I think I forgot to fill out the entire address).

Fill it out 7 to 23 more times with a different mistake each time then call everyone and their boss's mobiles while they should be eating or sleeping and ask them to fix it.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Oct 24, 2013

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
I wish I had my old Dell C810. About 15 pounds of 1600x1200 awesome-sauce. I ran through an airport several times with that thing in a giant leather targus bag that could probably hold 2 of them.

Are all laptop manufacturers on a race to the bottom for resolution? When we switched to lenovo we got 1200x800 ones, then things got slightly less lovely with 1440x900 ones, just got our new model t430s with the 1366xfuck-you-768 screen.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Oct 28, 2013

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

MJP posted:

I'm opening the floor to bets/guesses on what this guy's title is.

Pope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Galler posted:

Even if they knew the address to Merriam-Webster or dictionary.com, which they probably don't even if they know the name 'dictionary.com', they would just type it into the search bar like they type everything else they want out of the internet. There are a very large number of people who do not know that the URL bar is a thing that they can actually interact with. Websites aren't individual things they get information from they just stick words into the search bar and the internet returns information.

It's been years ago but I think it was here on SA someone was working on someone's computer and saw a search history with a bunch of searches like:
naked pictures firstname lastname
naked pictures firstname lastname

All real ladies, not celebs, that the pc owner knew. If anyone's ever been in a naked picture this is a sure way to internet it.

• Locked thread