Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KennyG
Oct 22, 2002
Here to blow my own horn.

Lum posted:

There is a number field too, but also a date control, which is probably why the stupid default never got noticed.

UK program that implements UK law and will never get used outside the UK. ISO format dates will just confuse the kind of users we deal with :(

When it's a calendar control, rather than a text field, it's impossible to have no default value. The calendar control has to open somewhere.

What happens if you enter a date in the field then click the control?

Also what if it's invalid, say Feb 30, 1984?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KennyG
Oct 22, 2002

Johnny Aztec posted:

In happier news, my friend, who works IT in a local school district, has just received a promotion to Systems Administrator. 9K pay increase, got 3 people under him. It's pretty nice. What's a good
"IT congratulations" expensive liquor? Preferably in a whiskey or rum.

A good Amerika :911: option is 4 Roses Single Barrel, Bulleit, or Elija Craig. All of those options can be had for $30-$45/bottle depending on geography/taxes. If you go with a Bourbon, it must be from Kentucky. Don't get side tracked by bullshit from Texas, Colorado or wherever.

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

E: Also I need a new avatar just realized that more than half the people who like this show are furfags, and don't care about the actual show.

Volmarias posted:

Has this ruined being a Brony for you? I'm not even sure what to respond to here, it's like a haiku.

Bronies are Furries
I thought that was the whole point
How did you not know?

KennyG
Oct 22, 2002

Comradephate posted:

Usually when I am keeping customers from something they'd rather be doing they'll just say something like "Hey, do you need me on the line? If you want you can just [send me a ticket/give me a call back] once you figure out what the problem is."

I never take offense; in fact I'm happy to have them off the phone once I know what I need to do to get them sorted.

I had a guy call in:

:argh: "Hey I really need to talk to <network engineer> about <ticket ID>."
:science: "Okay, just a moment while I pull that up."
:argh: "Actually I'm about to enter a golf tournament, can you just have him call me?"
:science: "Uh... okay."

Pro tip. If you default to "Can I call you back, I'm about to head into a meeting" it resolves that issue.

Although I can't get around the fact that he called you. If you don't have time, don't call.

That is definitely a ticket that comes in that pissed me off daily. If you don't have time, wait until you do. Stop logging tickets and going somewhere else, especially if you go with "Help me, it doesn't work" for your ticket.

KennyG
Oct 22, 2002
Our StyleCop would reject you :colbert:

code:
public double TheNeedful()
{
	double profit = 0;
	try{
		profit = Google();
	}
	catch (Exception Obscure){
		Manual TFM = Manual.Read(Obscure.Problem);
		profit = Answer.toProfit(TFM.Obvious);
	}
	return profit;
}

KennyG
Oct 22, 2002

GargleBlaster posted:

Cute, we've had our first special snowflake complaining that her special snowflake purple handwriting-like font in Outlook keeps reverting to Arial, black, 11pt. Hi, I'm your BoFH, welcome to group policy :allears:

The great thing is though, although I kind of agree (agreeing with Marketing, the horror!), the standardisation was decreed by Marketing, who were fed up of everyone tinkering with their fonts and colours. So I get to say "I'm sorry, if you have a problem with it please talk to Marketing" :smug:

Blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while.

I get physically ill when I see anything but Calibri, Arial, Times or Courier (or their Mac equivalents) come through. I did once get a Comic Sans quote from a vendor rep. When he followed up, I said I'm sorry but my company only deals with professionals and we went with another vendor. I didn't tell him that his product was 50% more expensive and had 30% fewer features because that would have drowened out the real message. Comic Sans is only OK if you are Matt Groening.

KennyG
Oct 22, 2002
Lets talk asset tracking.

Anyone have a recommendation?

IT manager is getting a little overwhelmed, and before offloading, we need to get out of the excel spreadsheet.

KennyG
Oct 22, 2002

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Literally any tool is gonna be better than your spreadsheet. Still, give us something to work with:

Do you have a budget for this? Do you need to stay with free software? Do you need to expand into asset management, not just tracking?

Also, check whatever ticketing system you use. 9 times out of 10, they'll have *something* in there for asset tracking.

Budget yes, I'd say a few grand we could sell to upper management.

I am not sure I understand between Asset Management and tracking, asset management is stuff like warranties and what not?

If that's the case, asset management.

I'd really like something that could integrate with AD

KennyG
Oct 22, 2002

blackswordca posted:

I know Spiceworks has a built in asset tracking tool. Ive played with it a little bit, doesn't seem to bad.

This looks to be goodEnough(tm).

Is the datastore local only though, in which case... excel.

KennyG
Oct 22, 2002

JohnnyCanuck posted:

It's been a while since I did Spiceworks, but everything is stored in a central DB - SQLLite, IIRC. MSSQL is also supported.

Any others?

Database storage seems to be the missing feature. The website says that it doesn't do database. I don't see how a SQLLite file is all that better than excel rather than the ability to query it.

KennyG
Oct 22, 2002

Paladine_PSoT posted:

"I am not a lawyer, and I will not advise customers on legal matters. By asking me to advise on this matter, the customer is requesting that I practice law without a license, which is a felony. I will absolutely not, under any circumstances, commit a felony for anyone in this organization"

This is 95% true. It's a civil infraction, but you got it.

KennyG
Oct 22, 2002

Belial42 posted:

It's common with the male partners in my office. Short of HR/Internal Accounting the partners are the only ones with personal printers and they bitch up a storm if they have to leave their offices to get a print job.

I don't know what the loving deal with this? I really could give two shits if I have to walk 20 steps to get a paper. The only people who should have printers in their offices are photo/graphic people... People are loving spoiled. When I'm in charge, there will be absolutely zero desk printers. If you want to print, print to one of the ones conveniently located around the office. I will also make it known that all that money will be used for Beer Fridays. Sales will not be invited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KennyG
Oct 22, 2002

GreenNight posted:

The only reason we ever give a local printer to a user is if they are a manager and print confidential information. Even then, it needs approval from various folks. Our copiers are now setup where if a manager prints to it, they have to put in a password to get the job. There is no excuse.

A few people are pretty pissed off about this though, since it's my fault we removed all the local printers. I put together a spreadsheet on toner costs and well, no more local printers bitches.

It's no less secure to print to a common area if you get your fat rear end up and go get it. I print confidential/sensitive (not under DoD standards) information on the group printer all the drat time. I hit file, print, and go get it. Simple.

Don't print the report of everyone's salary and then walk around for the next 20 minutes chit chatting about the bachelor.

The CPP of a department/group printer can be $.01 or .02 for mono, you are looking at even the best desktop lasers are in the $.03 - $.04 range. Not to mention the fact that your $5,000-$10,000 printer is cheap for 100 users versus 100 $500 printers. Doubly so for opex.

• Locked thread