Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

HalloKitty posted:

Eugenics isn't actually a bad idea though, just one people find hard to sympathise with.

I'm going to just quote this for posterity :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Bobulus posted:

The Information Security Officer at the university I work for seems to be trying something new with passwords this year.

I'm hoping it actually deal a blow to the password!123 type passwords.

You all know that's going to end with "passwordpassword" as 50%+ of the passwords. 16 characters, full compliance. There's a reason that special characters are encouraged, after all.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

We check our user's passwords about one a year, shaming the ones that have weak passwords and holding a draw for a gift cards for the ones that we can't break.

Their passwords all still suck but this stops the worst of them.

I'm morbidly curious how you're doing this.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

tehloki posted:

Drug tests are why I will never move to the states for work. It seems so weird and draconian and arbitrary. "Yeah, we like you alright, and there's nothing to complain about in your performance, we'd just like to have an arbitrary excuse to fire you for some reason."

It's more common for blue collar employees, where using a forklift on shrooms can lead to bad things happening. It's very uncommon for white collar roles, however, and I can't imagine that upper management roles aren't exempt, de facto if not de jure.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

I suppose the rules might be different for IT support roles because you're all janitors :v:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

kensei posted:

:yotj: offer letter came in. Do I let current job attempt to match or just :snoop: out?

Do you actually want to continue working for your current employer? If so, ask for a counter.

Do you believe that they would immediately terminate your employment and frogmarch you out if you let on that you were seeking other employment? If so, I'd recommend against saying anything, lest your new offer fall through.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Negromancer posted:

I am kinda curious with how drug testing is going to change now that weed is legal in washington. Granted I have not had to take a test in years, and the last one had a lot of lead time("we are going to drug test everyone in 1 month, please make sure you can pass it") and that was only due to a new customers regulations and it was only a saliva test(least invasive, shortest detection period).

Alcohol is legal too, but being drunk at work is also generally frowned upon.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Swink posted:

Buy the company for 4.7 billion. Sell the patents to Microsoft and Google for 5 billion!

Sue Google, Microsoft, and Apple for 5 billion.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

sfwarlock posted:

So it's written into the employee handbook at work that they can do random bag checks. That number came up, oh, about nine days ago. Apparently the drone who went through my laptop bag found "drug paraphernalia" and reported it.

They've been vacillating on what to do about it this long, apparently. You all get three guesses what the horrible sinful druggie gear they found was.

vvv Nope, not needles.
Also no vape, no pills, and... uh... Dave's not here, man.

Dried up post-it notes which they confused with rolling papers?

Perhaps a lamp that was confused with a bong?

A lighter?

A tie-dye anything?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

In the grim dark future of the 21st century, there are only tickets.

:commissar:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

QPZIL posted:

It really impressed me when a question just makes so little sense that it leaves me speechless.

"Hey yeah, QPZIL, my name is John User and I work at the Suchandsuch Recreation Center front desk right now. I feel like the next logical step career wise would be to get a job as a programmer - someone told me I should look into Microsoft Outlook, could you give me some advice?"

:geno:

Oh, I think I met John User. He applied for a job at my company. Or maybe it was 1000 contracts exactly like him, that I had to interview despite them being blatantly unqualified.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

FKF posted:

Thanks - that's from my lovely users, helpful bunch that they are.

It's slightly less silly than it seems, all the equipment was originally sitting on a table below the cabinet, but the table needed to be moved so the carpet could be replaced or something. Users being users, and terrified of unplugging things, decided it would be safer to suspend everything from the ceiling. They then sent us the picture so we could approve that it was 'alright'. Much laughing.

Well, that story takes this picture from :stonk: to :3:. Your users actually came up with a clever (if inadvertently dangerous) solution to a problem that they were having. I hope they were rewarded with shelves for the hardware.

Also, I giggled like a little girl when the ups was pointed out.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Lum posted:

I'm just wondering what's so inherently ugly about crotchless knickers?

They are clothing for your crotch. It defeats the entire point!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Ursine Asylum posted:

If you think the "point" of crotchless underwear is to be clothing, I think someone glossed over something in your sex ed class :colbert:

I never said that they didn't have a reason, I just pointed out the inherent contradiction.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

deimos posted:

This is not always the case. Eight bits is an octet.

The vast majority of us use an x86 based system instead of a PDP-10 or other such system. Unless you're working on something half a century old, or esoteric, a byte is 8 bits.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Prosthetic_Mind posted:

If we're getting into programming chat I learned pretty much exclusively on Java and I'm feeling the pain in moving to C++ right now. All the pointer stuff throws me off, but I think I'm getting the hang of memory management.

It would help if I wasn't working on a labyrinthine codebase written mostly by one guy whose coding style involved writing no comments, giving functions ambiguous names and overloading them with code that either does something completely different or is the exact same code from the function of the same name copied and pasted. Variable names are almost exclusively the type that the variable is of.

Pick up this book. I had to do C++ development after learning Java, and this book was fantastic. Didn't talk down to me, assume I was new to programming, or try to teach me OO from scratch.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

anthonypants posted:

A user reported that e-mails to outside users this morning were never received. This user then tested with delivery receipts, and they didn't even get delivery receipts. If you assumed this might be because e-mails are getting held up by our Barracuda appliance or the Exchange server, you'd be wrong! Here's what our Exchange admin had to say to the user:

He's so close and yet he still whiffs! Astounding.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Lum posted:

Since there's like only two women in the entire division, one of whom is me, then short of a mass layoff they might be afraid to get rid of me, especially since no-one else knows how to do my stuff and it brings in money.

If no one else knows how to do your stuff, the purchasing company may not understand what stuff you do and decide that you're not actually important after all.

:ohdear: good luck!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Dick Trauma posted:

:cool:: Get yourself one of those 13" Macbook Pros. Load it up.

This had been a pretty lousy day, right up until that point. It was surreal. I got the middle of the line 13" with 16 gigs of RAM, 256 meg SSD. I couldn't bring myself to get the top of the line. It was just too weird.

You live in a pod and you were given carte blanche, why didn't you load it up?! :negative:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

GreenNight posted:

Then have them rename it to .001 or something. Blocking exe files should be mandatory.

I have to agree. Executable files should be blocked, no exceptions, and you should think hard about whether you want to give .zip etc an exception.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Goons are generally pedantic.

Discuss.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

rolleyes posted:

Is it an American custom to include small change in greetings cards? That just seems... weird.

That's his salary :v:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Dick Trauma posted:

There's now a worse peripheral to support than printers or Blackberrys... :gonk:

Something about the fact that the peripheral goes into the screen makes me giggle uncontrollably. I feel like the only point of this being hooked up to a monitor is so the NPC can turn around and say "hey, watch it, would ya? :catstare:" as you wiggle your finger.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Are your image runners like blade runners? Do you retire bad forms?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

I think you mean

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

Best way to handle that would be to call the client, sort out whatever poo poo is happening, and send an email to the helpdesk outlining the proper procedure. Then when it happens again, just forward them that email and state you're not contacting until any form of basic troubleshooting has been applied. Then, get reamed out because you already set a precedent and why did you do it for that other guy and not this guy? You're not very customer focused DrAlexanderTobacco, and this is a high visibility issue, and this kind of activity will go on your next review.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

nitrogen posted:

This is unironically the best browser advert ever. I am deadly serious. That's really well done.

Nope, sorry, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lD9FAOPBiDk is the best hands down.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

J posted:

Between this and the 10,000 cameras pointed at menus in 1080p project this thread has been pretty loving great lately I must say.

Yeah, I've got to agree. The schadenfreude is remarkable this week.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Casull posted:

Today I learned that you can sell out of coupon codes, WTF.

You realize that there's an upper limit on how many people he can teach, right?

It's a promo code, and he's smart to have a limit.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

SamDabbers posted:

My coworker and I just finished migrating file and VPN services to a new server we built for a client, and a couple emails came in:

Something's wrong here. This can't be right. :ohdear:

That's right. You did an amazing job, but your manager gets the raise.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Find out who was responsible for that ad.

Throw coffee on him.

Tell him that you want a new ad.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

guppy posted:

I share the horror, but lookit, it's not like those people needed the video to teach them. They've been doing that poo poo for years.

This just encourages it, or suggests it to people who never considered that it could be a viable strategy. There's neither tongue nor cheek in this video, which suggests to people that it's OK.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Also, for the love of god ask to see their server room. That will quickly tell you their give-a-poo poo level.

If the interviews are going well, turn the tables on them and start asking about processes, policies, discuss what you think about them without coming off as a knowitall or condescending. Make sure the place is a good fit for you.

An upper circle of hell is probably a better fit for him than his current job.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

The Electronaut posted:

I'm not even thirty and I'm a big "gently caress that" to stupid on call and work loading bs. I'm leaving my current gig in a week to make forty percent more and no on call with a narrow defined job.

Yes, this. I'm a software engineer, and pager duty is such utter bull. It's acceptable if you're young and single and hungry for the experience, but once you have a family suddenly being on the clock all day every day gets less exciting.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Sirotan posted:

I'd like to take them away from people for good but the head of 'facilities' is the decider on this one and he either doesn't care or doesn't have enough of a spine to deal with the incredible amount of bitching he would have to put up with this one group of employees who act like whiny spoiled children and need to have their offices at 90 degrees year-round.

I think the point is to let them be seen during the fire inspection, so that they can be labeled fire hazards, so that you have justification in removing them.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Seeing as how said superiors also think that he's there to get poo poo on, I think that leaving the company is the only form of remediation possible.

There's also the game of "be as passive aggressive as possible and see if they realize how much they need you," but that's a dangerous game without another job lined up.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Oh, this is probably a good time for me to mention that I just turned in my notice. I'm yotj-ing to Google :yotj:

It felt fantastic to let people know, especially since it seems like the pin has finally dropped that I'm probably the only one that really knows Android there.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Yeah, he should just walk out rather than giving any sort of notice. If they're not going to reimburse him for poo poo he did for the company, I wouldn't be surprised if they find a way to try to dick him over on that two weeks pay.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

At the very least I hope that you give yourself copies of every email regarding this and other bull to cya.

Also, high five awful commute buddy :(:hf::(

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

It might have been the assumption that the xboxes would technically be managed hardware since Microsoft would continue to patch them, and cheaper than standalone desktop units.

Really, someone preordered a few expecting a shortage then was left holding the bag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

I saw about that, and good on those students for that experiment and a budding interest in science. A doctor should know better than to take one high school study as a reason to change his actions, though...

• Locked thread