Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

notwithoutmyanus posted:

I learned about this from playing Zombies Ate My Neighbors as a kid, after doing game testing for a day with Konami - as Zombies Ate My Neighbors had a Day of the Tentacle level.

I don't know Zombies Ate My Neighbors, but that's actually pretty funny since you could start a computer in DotT and play it's predecessor "Maniac Mansion" there.

drat, DotT came out in '93?! I feel old(er). :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Swink posted:

Every motherfucker has decided to download IOS7 on our public wifi. Thanks assholes!

Well what did you expect? Throttle that poo poo if it bothers you.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

tehloki posted:

Drug tests are why I will never move to the states for work. It seems so weird and draconian and arbitrary. "Yeah, we like you alright, and there's nothing to complain about in your performance, we'd just like to have an arbitrary excuse to fire you for some reason."

Hah! Like they need a drug test for that.

I guess it's more like "We have this set of ethics, and we think you should too."

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Lum posted:

I'd fail one of those, and I don't do drugs.

One of the legit medications I'm taking has a side effect of making you test positive for methamphetamine.

Just have a hearty Danish breakfast with two-three delicious poppy seed bread rolls, and you're going to show some interesting results for opiates.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Bugs for the bug god! :black101:

Scripts for the throne of Cron! :black101:

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Galler posted:

Clothing can serve other purposes besides just covering body parts up. :pervert:

I like my presents wrapped. :v:

Back in 2001 I got to rebuild a whole server room from scratch. So much DL360 and DL380 goodness. Also a Citrix Metaframe farm with 60 concurrent users on two DL380s.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

GreenNight posted:

It's an AS400 system. Lovely. We've purchased a software package that allows users to connect via a web page instead of a terminal client.

Make a simple html/javascript page that redirects to site.blabla/one/two and put it on site.blabla/ ?

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

chia posted:

Autodesk, heh. I hate their poo poo products more than printers.

I hate Autodesk more than I hate Adobe. think about that for a bit.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
Yay for you, blackswordca!

Inspector_71 posted:

Funnily enough, the only real big issues with AutoCAD I ever had to deal with was how it handled printers!

That was because Windows' printer drivers had hard coded margins back then, and AutoCad wanted to write closer to the edge of the paper.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Caged posted:

iOS 7 does an activation lock - you can't set the phone up unless the previous user enters their Apple ID.

Yep. I currently have two iPhones in for repair just sitting there, waiting for their users to deactivate the unit in their account.

this has got to be something an Authorized repair center will be getting the tools to reset. It's just a PR disaster waiting to happen.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Lum posted:

Related: Apparently someone in the US with the same first name and first letter of surname as my GF has a child that is currently doing very badly in school, to the point of the school trying to email the parents.

That reminds me on a period a year or so ago when some naval-computing company I've never even heard of put my direct number as their support line. That got me quite a few very odd calls.

"Your computer isn't logging the GPS cordinates when you dump the trawl? Are you absolutely sure you have the right person?"

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
A user came in with her iPhone in a bag. Shattered glass everywhere, completely unusable.

She explained that she had to chose between saving the iPhone or her camera when she got hit by a moving carcass while preparing for an interview in a slaughterhouse - she chose the camera and saved us ~$35,000 with that decision.

Some times I'll gladly bump people to the front of the line and let someone else wait a day longer for their phone replacement. :)

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Lum posted:

Until I double checked to see who posted this, I got rather confused by that post.

I was imagining a work environment so terrible that the user was looking to YOTJ to a job processing meat in a slaughterhouse.

Then I saw it was Crowley and he works for a TV station and suddenly it made a lot more sense :)

ehm yeah. I forgot that "interview" usually has a different meaning in here. :shobon:

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

FISHMANPET posted:

A LinkedIn invitation came in... To the helpdesk email. Is LinkedIn to blame for this stupidity or is it the people sending us these invites?
Someone has the Helpdesk email in their contacts and gave LinkedIn permission to trawl their mail/Exhange/whatever account. LinkedIn spams you.. With the user's permission.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
Yeah that lawsuit is pretty much groundless. LinkedIn doesn't trawl an account without the user giving up the email/login and password, and I'm sure there's a passage in the terms that mentions them walking through the list spamming everyone.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
So apparently this happened in OS X 10.9, and some git in Graphics just couldn't keep his dick in his pants and went and updated his Mac Pro as soon as he could.

Good thing they get to "take care" of their own machines (except for AV). I could just shake my head in quiet disgust, sip my coffee, and walk away.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

BurgerQuest posted:

My work laptop is a 13" MBP... running Windows 7 only. :downs:

..and running it worse than most cheaper PCs too. drat Apple and their shoddy drivers.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Dick Trauma posted:

The only good Vista PC I ever used was a MBP. The CEO wants a minimal wire setup for his new office so I'm considering an iMac 27 running Windows and a ShoreTel DECT phone.

Don't! Get a HP Z1 instead.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Citizen Z posted:

In preparation for a true-up with MS, we just discovered that there are ~160 copies of office 2003 in production that were probably pirated(Or at the very least is not our volume key) by one of the previous sysadmins. We have a current volume license with software assurance.

Currently, the only thing I can think to do is a mass uninstall of 2003 and an install of 2007/10 and just true up the license difference. Is there something I'm missing, or a better way to go about this?

True-up licenses are backwards compatible so there's no reason to uninstall the old copies. Just add them to your count.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Use a VM and stop sending torrent traffic through your workplace!

Like when one of our student workers forgot to stop his torrents before going to work, and made the 1 GB line grind to a halt when his moviez really picked up steam. At least he found out himself when his machine got "sort of sluggish" and the HDD light was constantly on.

(it was about 6 years ago, noting came of it except relentless teasing)

stubblyhead posted:

Maybe you can even get lucky and have work buy you a licence for Workstation, which is also pretty awesome.
And pretty drat expensive. Just use VirtualBox.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

It's a core i5 so I'm assuming my bios just has it off by default for some lovely reason.

If you're using a Lenovo it's off by defaiult. You can turn it back on in BIOS.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Knormal posted:

Am I right it guessing that it would be technically possible, but it would involve dealing with the mailboxes on a one-by-one basis, so they just don't want to?

You can do it with a bit of PowerShell wizardry. Here's a link.

In this case I'd do it because a retirement package is highly personal information that certainly shouldn't be published to a bunch of random people. (I'm no USian, but isn't that just begging for a lawsuit?)

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

MJP posted:

Make it four, this is my first driving commute in three years. I'm spoiled by having trains to just sit on and not drive through traffic in :V

I miss the time I took the train to work, that little 20 minute break was great. Then I remember standing in the rain waiting for a train that got cancelled, and how I can just walk to my car and drive off at any time, and I'm fine again.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

evol262 posted:

It's almost like you work an in industry where you can walk away from that ticking bar or minimize the RDP window and work on something else.

I work at a TV station, but when I'm doing late-night maintenance I usually end up streaming Netflix rather than watching the TV. It's just so much more convenient.

A cameraman said it best when I admitted to him that I watch almost no TV at all: "TV is something we make, not something we watch."

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

ookiimarukochan posted:

NHK is like that, the BBC isn't. No idea if that's to do with the quality / type of TV being made, cultural differences, or just random luck.

(NHK in general has this major "We are grown up people doing a grown up job. Now try and be more grown up!" thing going on that the BBC doesn't, if that helps)

Haha. There's nothing "We're adults here" about it at all. It's more the fact that people can't help but nitpick any broadcast they see. I'm in IT and I've started doing it too. Mrs. Crowley don't want to watch shows with me any more when I go "Continuity error!" or "That lighting is totally wrong, and look at that sloppy transition!" every 30 seconds.

Work related ticket:
I snatched a cameraman on his way to a shoot last Friday and asked him to test a new phone I'm considering. We agreed that when he came back he could just dump the phone on my desk with a post-it with a smiley/sad face.

This morning the phone and this post-it was on my desk:

Text reads "Explains tomorrow!"

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Pilsner posted:

Is he a goon? :stare:

I don't think he is, but it's not like you goons wear a pink triangle on their chests.

I got a ticked from my boss with this image:

Which is far too low for what we should have. Then I spend an hour testing and restesting everything, only do finally discover that that specific test node doesn't support the speed we have. :downsgun:

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

HalloKitty posted:

Oh sure, after all, users just LIVE to enter the same information over and over.

Especially on an SQL server, or a DC.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
Not a ticket, but it might be relevant.

Saw this on Reddit.

reddit.com/r/sysadmin posted:

I'm offering my Powershell intro course for free for the month of November. Just use the coupon code INTRO_FREE. http://www.udemy.com/powershellbeginner

I signed up and it looks pretty legit.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Sickening posted:

Auto-complete is a convenience, not a requirement to get work done. I do not shed a single tear for those who get so butthurt over losing an NK2 file. They can get hosed as far as I am concerned.

Tell that to a C-level and watch poo poo rain from the sky.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
A challenge came in:

We have a journalist team going to some remote place to do some journalist stuff. They're going to shoot a lot of footage, and want to bring a scanner and laptop so they can scan old pictures and use in the finished production. Now it's my task to find a decent way to store a Canon Canoscan Lide 700, a Lenovo Thinkpad Edge E130, and all cables for both units. I've been thinking of making a Pelican Case, but both journalists said they would ditch the case in a heartbeat and stuff the equipment into their suitcases instead because Pelican Cases take up far too much space. that's why I turn to you guys.

Would any of you have any suggestions for packing the scanner, laptop, and cables in a nice and snug package? Ideally I'd like some neoprene bag with a fitted space for the scanner, the laptop, and a pouch for the chargers and cables, but lacking that I'll gladly settle for something sort-of-fitting, has soft corners, and offers protection on the same grade as a neoprene slip-case.

Any ideas?

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
I called the costumes department, and they said they'll see if they can find an intern that'll take the job. The one I talked to mentioned that they once made a wetsuit for a dolphin, so sewing a neoprene bag shouldn't be a problem. :stare:

I'm still open to ideas though.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Caged posted:

Peli cases are my go-to when a flight case would be too large. The idea of someone throwing a scanner into a suitcase scares me slightly, I have no idea how to stop something like that getting smashed when someone's determined not to have it in a case.

It's a $50 scanner, so it's not like it's horribly expensive. It's just a fact that they'll ditch a pelican case before they're out of the station in the first place, and I'd rather have some protection on the equipment than none at all.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Caged posted:

but journalists are a special breed

Right on the head!

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Potato Alley posted:

I believe that was what you meant to respond to....

meh. That involves HR and all sorts of "explanations". The best thing my old boss did was take me to the gym and get me to join the boxing club. Boxing is a great stress reliever. Boxing against your boss is even better.

Rhymenoserous posted:

The next person that asks me about cloud backup solutions is getting punched in the dick.
That's every consultant ever. As soon as you mention backup they go "We can do that cheap in THE CLOUD!", and back right down again when you tell them you have around 300 TB you need backed up, and it's increasing by at least 100 TB per year.

The required bandwith alone breaks the TCO.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
The T410s we have have a horrible failure rate on their fans. I asked our usual warranty repair guy about the issue, and he said that Lenovo skimped on the fans and went with nylon bearings instead of brass. Now all the fans are failing and are being replaced with proper fans.

Luckily we have the top-tier service on all our laptops. When I needed a fan replacement on the laptop I use the repair guy happily drove out to our summer cottage and replaced the fan on a scheduled time.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
At least Penny Arcade is honest and upfront about underpaying and overworking people. :shobon:

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

GreenNight posted:

Yeah, I have a zip up sweater at work for when I'm cold.

We have Dell-sponsored duvet vests in a variety of sizes. I don't know when we got them, but they're a life saver when working in the server rooms or late at night when the HVAC is in "night mode".

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Agrikk posted:

"But you do this all the time! It shouldn't take an expert like you more than 30 minutes to set up."

"Actually I'm really bad at that. It's probably going to take me around 40 hours."

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

blackswordca posted:

There are backups.. in another city.. on a shared 3mbit connection..

..so you don't have backups then?

Moey posted:

I remember when I did support in college being explained this by my boss. He said he just needed any Windows license on there to be complaint. If I recall correctly he as ordering Vista Home Basic with each tower as it was the cheapest at the time.
You can only upgrade your license to the same "version" as the original, so you'd need an XP Pro to get a Win 7 Pro. However, you can upgrade from an XP Pro to a 7 Enterprise (if you have Software Assurance) or Ultimate (if you pay more).

Crowley fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Dec 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
Soooo Forefront TMG is dying by 2015.

Would any of you technowizards happen to know of a viable alternative that's compatible with Server 2012 R2?

• Locked thread