Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I've really enjoyed reading an A+ study guide. I'm new to IT but I've been a "computer guy" for a long time.

My knowledge is a bit like swiss cheese: thick and rich in most places but there are some big holes.

So now I know how a laser printer actually works, that file systems have improved since FAT32, the basics for smartphones and what a subnet mask is.

Now I've just got to pass the test.

Edit:
Oops, I messed up and meant to post this in the IT thread.
Right thread, but a page late. A+ is good for new people like me but I'd hate to try and study it if I was a few years more advanced.

Don't worry about it buddy, you'll be posting in this thread soon enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
A little off topic, but this thread goes this way every page. What do you like for enterprise backup? Mostly Windows servers, a couple linux servers, and a single Mac server. I've got about 11 TB of data.
I'd prefer a centralized console to manage the backups/send notifications. The ability to push backups to Amazon's S3 (or something) is drat near a must. I don't want to go back to Iron Mountain for offsite backups.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

Duckbill posted:

I use it pretty much daily, and consistently get kicked off just before the connection length hits three hours. So it's not five minutes, but it's not infinite either.

There is a 5 minute time limit off you use the deployable client version and do not have a license on your computer. This mostly sucks because their licensing is by computer. My work pc has my license so no problem. If I happen to be at home, I better be able to fix it in 5 minutes or less. I refuse to pay another $800 for a license.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

GreenNight posted:

Yeah, I use my work provided account and get all the features no matter what PC I connect to, or login to.

That may have changed in the past few years. My license is still for version 6, and it's definitely per computer. I've had multiple conversations with them about it.

I'm going to setup ScreenConnect at some point and be done with it.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

MJP posted:

... from a recruiter at a company, via Linkedin.

The company is five minutes from my house.

It is for a senior sysadmin role.

I'm presently a sysadmin and happy where I am, despite the minor non-critical failings about this place.

Oh god what do

Doesn't hurt to check it out.

Also another vote for KeePass.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
We are being required by a client to have an SOC 2 Type 2 audit/certification done. I don't even know where to start. Any suggestions?

The terrible ticket part of this is:
"Can you have this done by next week?"

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
I'd love a recommendation for an Auditing Firm. They all look like scummy legal/accounting firms to me and I just want to say no.

The trick will be getting a quote, and then going back to my people and saying "No, you do not need PII for your task, so stop saying you do, or find $x in the budget."

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

Mustache Ride posted:

That is a terribly huge audit project that will take you months...months to complete using an outside firm.

My company has been prepping to do one for over 8 months now, but they are dragging their feet because its so drat expensive.

Ballpark price? I'm just going to reply back (to my people) "No, an SOC 2 Type 2 audit can take up to a year and be as expensive as X". I just need a number for X.

There are actually 4 companies involved in this, 2 of them have already said no. Apparently this is a client that gets some funding from the federal government, who has strict policies on how that data is handled due to that (at least that's the best I can get from them).

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
Yeah, we're a 75 person business with 1.5 IT people. Sure I like to think I run a tight and secure ship, but this whole thing is ridiculous. I'm just going to take vacation days and hide in the woods until it's over I think.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

Sickening posted:

If your company is in the business of bidding on stuff like this and you are going to continue to play this role its probably a good idea for you not to hide out but to get your poo poo together. Treat it as the learning experience that it is.

I think this is just a case of "too big for our britches". No one wanted to involve me in any of the actual discussions, and then went "Oh, I'm sure IT can get that done pretty quickly". This is not our typical client, and considering the cost of the SOC 2 Type 2 audit would far exceed (even at the low end) the money the client would pay us over a year, it seems like it's probably not the right choice business wise. All other companies involved how now stated that the requirements are too much and would be unprofitable to implement, which is exactly what I said.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

demonicon posted:

I work for an e-commerce company. I only know about our it department but that project alone was about 800 developer hours (including dbas and admins).

Yeah, we're just a fundraising company that works with non profits, this client just has some federal funding, so apparently this is a requirement. It's the first potential client in 30 years that has had federal funding, can't see it coming up much in the future either.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
Rolled out a new ftp server today. Our old one just had a single login, had 36000 directories and almost 7 million files dating back as far as 2001.

I announced the new one last month, with weekly updates and request for clients/vendors that would need logins. 180 logins created, tons of emails saying to get everyone their new login info and notify of the blackout period.

New server comes up, I send the final email, complete with brain dead instructions. 10 minutes later I get asked a dumb question by one of my artists "when are you starting the new server?".

Am hour later, the same artist has sent old information to a vendor, and is blaming IT because "the ftp server must be down".

How the hell do you get people to read emails? I've been doing this 14 years and haven't found the secret.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

Sonic Dude posted:

At my old job where I had an expense card, I would buy $5 Starbucks gift cards and give them out with a line in the email saying "the first person to reply to me with the word banana (or something) wins!"

It actually sort of worked.

I've considered this, something in the middle like "also, there are donuts in IT".

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

Seravadon posted:

There was a support call this morning because a user could not log in to a computer. It was a communal machine used for remoting into a terminal server so the username and password were printed out on a label and stuck right on the keyboard.

When my coworker typed it in for her she watched him and said "Oh the numbers aren't capitalized? Then why are the numbers written down as capitalized?"

Capitalized Numbers. :downs:

I would pick that users computer up, and remove it from their station. That would be that, no more computer for them. Can't do their job without their computer? Probably have to let them go, sorry. (I get that that's not actually applicable to this specific scenario, but still)

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

Swink posted:

We are on some kind of spamlist with messagelabs. Except our mail just gets blackholed, no NDR message or anything.

I've got no way to contact messagelabs/Symantec because we are not Symantec customers.

The only thing I can do is call a company we are trying to email, and get them to submit a ticket on out behalf.

I just got off the phone with a local bank, who told me to just fax them instead!

Banks love faxes. It's 2014 banks, this poo poo is ridiculous. I have 3 fax machines at my office specifically for faxing banks (and receiving faxes from those same banks).

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

pr0digal posted:

We've got two Starbucks machines in the office. Nothing special, you buy the beans, put them in the top and it makes them. Huge gently caress-off things.

And I got the best e-mail from a vendor (to my personal e-mail but called my work phone).

I mean I am, but I've got quotes out with two different vendors and I don't like cold calls.

Seriously, sounds like he'd/they'd make an excellent client.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

MJP posted:

A gem of a ticket my co-worker just opened up for Salesforce support (we open tix under our IT distro):

Send them this:
https://help.salesforce.com/HTViewHelpDoc?id=users_understanding_license_types.htm&language=en_US
"If you can find the allowance for a user without a license in this, let me know, I couldn't"

Have to teach users that Licensing isn't a joke, and showing them bajillions of pages on a single products licensing is a good way to do it :)

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
Microsoft needs to get their poo poo together with Skype and Lync. Lync 2013 is awful, and Skype drives me crazy.

I install Skype on our computers via GPO as some of our users need it for international business stuff. Did you know that you can not tell Skype to not launch at startup until you've actually signed in? You have to create an account first. Now that GPO comes with a registry hack to remove it from run. That's unacceptable.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
Office 365 w/ Lync 2010 (don't upgrade to 2013 ever, it's terrible) works as it should. Logged conversations, links, etc. This has NOT always been the case, links were an issue as recently as a year ago, but it seems like they've got it sorted.

One thing I love is watching service status with Office 365. Sharepoint is constantly in a problem/recovery state. Not even Microsoft can manage the beast that is Sharepoint.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

dox posted:

Use an .mst on deployment to disable autologin without having to sign in. I had to tussle with this a few months ago. I can post the mst if you'd like- I just have to do dig it up.

Nah, my reghack works fine, good point about mst's though. I hadn't gotten the hang of Orca when I first setup skype.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
Try Problem Step Recorder (is that right?). psr.exe. Free and built into windows.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

moosepoop posted:

A ticket came in: Reseating a dimm on a server, again...

Me: This will be the fifth time I reseat a dimm on that server. Any idea why this is happening?

Random indian guy: I am suspecting the board, but the server is not in warranty

Me: So I will just have to reseat those dimms from now on a couple of times a week?

Random indian guy: I guess so...

:smith:

Put something heavy (not too heavy) on to of them to keep them from unseating.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

m.hache posted:

I've been tasked with sending out a Seasons Greetings email to all of our clients.

Sending over 2k emails 70 at a time sucks balls. I'm so afraid of being black listed.

Try MailChimp. I think it's free even.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

Lord Dudeguy posted:

PDQ Deploy. Always PDQ Deploy.

Facing yet another week of building a new java MSI, and pushing out Adobe Patches, and updating our Chrome and Firefox installs finally made me buy this.

It's really fantastic. The autodeployment scripts are great. Thank you thread.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

RFC2324 posted:

Can you use PDQ Deploy in conjunction with ninite?

Or does it make ninite completely obsolete?

This is for a home usage scenario, where I effectively maintain my roommates computers because I got tired of having my network hosed up by their viruses and malware all the time.

I'd imagine you could, but there is an easier way in your case.

Download the ninite installer you want to their computer, save it somewhere and set a scheduled task to run it once a day or week or whatever. It will update everything in the original installer every run.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

I would have linked this, but yeah, same deal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udEEat65JMc

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
Got a fun one from a new Exec VP this morning
code:
to: ME
CC: CEO
Subject: Email Problems
I'm not getting CEO's emails. She sent them to me, and I never got them, she re-sent them and I didn't get those either. 
So I open up CEO's mailbox, check the last 8 sent messages to VP. Open up VP's mailbox, find them literally deleted. Not "in deleted items", but deleted from deleted items. Thanks OWA for letting me see them.

code:
to: VP
CC: CEO (Yeah, I reply all, don't blame me for your stupidity)
Subject: Re: Email Problems
Did a little digging, I see a lot of emails from CEO to you have been deleted (all the way deleted) in your mailbox. 
You didn't actually provide any details of when or what those emails are, so here is a screenshot of the last 8 emails from CEO that you've deleted. 
::ScreenShot::
Can you provide more details? Do you need assistance recovering these emails? 
No one has replied yet, this was all 5 hours ago. Someone is probably having a not-so-fun conversation with the CEO.

Gerdalti fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Mar 11, 2015

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

Sickening posted:

Email digging always seems to get embarrassing for someone. Logs don't lie and feelings sometimes get hurt.

I wouldn't have reply-all'd if he had worded it a bit differently. "I'm not getting emails" is very different than "I can't find these emails". One of those is clearly trying to shift blame where it doesn't belong. Especially when you opened them, deleted them, and then deleted them again. (VP doesn't have "purge deleted items when closing outlook" on, I checked). I'm pretty sure this was a "CEO wanted me to do something, I didn't, how do I not get in trouble for that" ploy.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

Gerdalti posted:

Got a fun one from a new Exec VP this morning
code:
to: ME
CC: CEO
Subject: Email Problems
I'm not getting CEO's emails. She sent them to me, and I never got them, she re-sent them and I didn't get those either. 
So I open up CEO's mailbox, check the last 8 sent messages to VP. Open up VP's mailbox, find them literally deleted. Not "in deleted items", but deleted from deleted items. Thanks OWA for letting me see them.

code:
to: VP
CC: CEO (Yeah, I reply all, don't blame me for your stupidity)
Subject: Re: Email Problems
Did a little digging, I see a lot of emails from CEO to you have been deleted (all the way deleted) in your mailbox. 
You didn't actually provide any details of when or what those emails are, so here is a screenshot of the last 8 emails from CEO that you've deleted. 
::ScreenShot::
Can you provide more details? Do you need assistance recovering these emails? 
No one has replied yet, this was all 5 hours ago. Someone is probably having a not-so-fun conversation with the CEO.

Got a followup email from VP today:

code:
These were emails from me (VP) to CEO and not from CEO to me (VP).  
I believe she (CEO) sent them around 1 PM, but then resent them again this morning at around 8:30 AM.
:wtf:

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
I'm fairly certain you guys are all correct. None of it makes sense and I'm a trained cya'er. I'll report back and let you know what happens tomorrow, should be fun either way.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

Sham I Am posted:

I predict that the resolution will end with the CEO saying "as long as its working now", and no one will ever think of it again; except in 3 months while in a staff meeting the VP will comment on how IT lost his email when he first started.

Close! VP finally explained that it was in fact emails the CEO sent him that are missing. CEO is out of the office until the 19th, so I guess I'll talk to her then (except she'll be swamped and brush me off and none of this ever happened).

As with so many IT stories, anti-climatic as hell.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
I was 21 when I first started dealing with AIX on an RS6000 and also adminning an AS400. That was 15 years ago, and I don't remember much about either (well, I mean, Unix is mostly Unix), but I could still put them on my resume.

Not sure I would though, I don't think I'd like to deal with either again.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
While we're talking about video conferencing, any recommendations for some cheap-midrange video/audio equipment that can be used via USB or something for Lync (SKYPE FOR BUSINESS) and GoToMeeting?

I am not an A/V guy, so I'm not even sure where to start.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

Sham I Am posted:

You haven't lived until your boss shows up at 3:30 on a Friday afternoon with a complete redesign of a project that you have 4 weeks of work into, and is slated to be delivered to the client on the following Monday.

The right answer to this poo poo is always to say "We can deliver the original project Monday as promised, or you'll need to rework the timeline completely." Not standing your ground on things like this just means you will be living this hell until you learn. And chances are you will have to learn somewhere else. Managing expectations is key to not being a doormat in this industry.

An alternative is also "ok, but I'm also giving you my notice, this is not how I want to work." It's a little ballsier, but if the company expects you to work that way, you'll burn out quickly anyhow.

Gerdalti fucked around with this message at 16:41 on May 22, 2015

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

Sham I Am posted:

No. When he asked he also offered a nice sized bonus (relatively speaking) if I did it. Plus I asked for and got 2 extra paid days off the next week. And his wife cooked me food all weekend long, which was pretty boss.

He was a bad planner, but all in all not a bad boss when it came to this sort of thing, at least not for the 2 years I worked there. He knew when he was asking a lot, didn't try and take advantage, and generally made up for it when he did. Where he was lacking was common sense; I left when he fired the sales guy (we only had the 1) and didn't sell anything himself for weeks, then started sitting us down and bitching when we had like 12 billable hours between 4 of us in a week. Pretty crappy actually, because up to that point it was an awesome job.

ETA:

Not always. He was a pretty good boss and to be honest, I probably would have done the work without a bonus if he had asked, just because he always took care of us and never tried to take advantage.

Makes sense. I think most of us are so used to this being super common that we always some the worst.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
"Your poor planning is not my emergency."

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

MJP posted:

If I'm going to be gone Tuesday AM I'd need a drat good reason on such short notice. At least if I can get another day, rather than day 1 of the part-timer, there's a better chance the boss will approve it.

If I just disappear and be out of contact I'd need a darn good reason. Car accident, medical emergency, etc. Rather not pull too many surprises lest they catch on I'm looking elsewhere.

Dentist Appointment -> Severe tooth pain? Doctor appointment with blood work scheduled? Explosive Diarrhea?

What we're saying is GO TO THAT INTERVIEW!

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

MJP posted:

It's not gonna be fun tomorrow when I fake a medical emergency and not be in for a few hours. Not the first time I've had to but last time I played that card was a few months ago.

As much as I want out I feel like I should be saving no-shows with emails of "wife had seizure" etc. for the real deal, especially given that I forced my boss' rescheduling of his own stuff, but I don't know how much of this is just residual interpersonal-interaction guilt or just inertia. I really don't feel good that I couldn't make this happen legitimately but there was no way they would let me have time off on the first morning of the new guy coming in.

Car accident or health crisis with my father? I need something that HR couldn't verify if they chose to, and if I say it's a medical emergency for my wife or me they could always ask the insurance if I have any claims. It's really stupid of me to try to preserve decorum but I'm still paranoid that they'll terminate me if they find out, despite how much it shoots them in the foot, doubly so now that I have a part-timer to train up.

The best thing is "explosive diarrhea". Start subtle, "extremely upset stomach". No one wants details on that. If they push, " I won't make the car trip in, perhaps in a few hours once the Imodium kicks in ".

It's an excuse you can use and not feel bad for selling out a family members health.

Edit: apparently us IT guys all know this trick.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
It's cool to blow of Microsoft SAM requests right? I'm in the middle of a SOC 2 Type 2 engagement and just don't have time for it. I've also already scheduled to do something similar with my MSP to sure up our licensing in early 2016.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

SubjectVerbObject posted:

I have a little sympathy for them. I'm a ticket monkey, and my only work computer is a laptop. When they told me that they needed to install some security software on it and I would be down for an hour, my first thought was "how am I going to explain this to my management" since I am supposed to have all of my time put on tickets, so if I can't work due to laptop issues, the stats they collect look like I am not working.

That's an easy one, whomever needs to install that software on your laptop puts in a ticket, your time is spent ON that ticket. You didn't get to other tickets because you were "working" on this extremely high priority ticket (where you literally just sat around doing nothing).

• Locked thread