Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Migishu posted:

The only 2 certificates worth getting are BSc and SSc

And the astronavigation exam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

wa27 posted:

The guy here never uses a subject line in his emails, ever. And he ends all his emails with:

Sincerely,

And that's it. No name or signature line at the bottom. :what:

At some point he probably had auto signatures turned on for every email and then it got turned off and he forgot.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

demonachizer posted:

blackswordca is the corvettefisher for the new thread.

Be fair, he's sending out resumes and even had an interview.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

The important thing is that you're not being a door mat. If they don't pay you, you don't give them the site, whether you go with small claims or not.

Also you don't flip it out of maintenance mode until the cheque has cleared.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Alctel posted:

Is 'disruptive' the new 'innovative' marketing speak? Anyone else noticed this?

I believe it's synonymous with "game changing". So yes.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

We just get each user to email us their password and then church them against a list of common passwords

I hope everyone that actually mails you their password instantly loses and/or gets sacked for failing to observe proper security protocols.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

sfwarlock posted:

In other news, I've been notified I must take a drug test before reporting to work tomorrow, my only alternative being to resign. This oughta be interesting...

Surely you have the alternative of doing neither? IF they want you to leave surely they have to actually fire you.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Nativity In Black posted:

I was drug tested as a condition of employment and they reserve the right to random ones, but they generally only do it if they have cause to believe you are showing up to work hosed up.

What's great though is that as a right to work state if they want you gone they can find basically any reason to fire you. If someone were to refuse a drug test, even if they can't be fired for that alone, they can be let go for "performance" and there's no real way to fight it.

But right to work laws are great right? Because unions are bad and big business is good right?

In a right to work state, drug tests seem particularly baffling. I mean, if they thought you were taking drugs and it was affecting your work they could just fire you and say it was because it was Thursday, right?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Inspector_71 posted:

I tend to furrow my brow and respond with "No..." but people seem to want an explanation as to why the answer is no. Thankfully they usually are fine with "They're separate accounts."

I think part of the problem is that iCloud requires your e-mail as the username, even though it isn't necessarily doing anything with your e-mail, and that seriously sends people up poo poo creek trying to realize they're separate things.

EDIT: This person also wanted to speak to the "highest level iCloud expert" at my company.

"We have a distributed expertise structure. A knowledge cloud."

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

blackswordca posted:

Welp just got an email that they fired two phone agents. Guess who got their tickets.

For the love of god get out.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

GreenNight posted:

"Eight bits"

"Or "four shaves and a haircut"s."

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

MJP posted:

An interview came in...

... without having to do a phone screen or technical interview, straight to the CEO of an MSP for a senior field engineer. Project work, supervising two PFYs or desktop equivalents. No troubleshooting, one client a day.

I'm waiting for the catch.

It's for a company that manufactures baby mincing machines.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Now if we could just get a fuser and a toner cartridge in there...

A ticket came in: user was doing the needful but has been burned badly.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Migishu posted:

Find out if he's cool or not.

If so, then post away

If not, then decimate him

Why would destroying 10% of him help?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Today I got added to an email chain that had no less than four "please do the needful"s and three "please revert back"s. Mostly because this thing had been passed through about a dozen layers of organisational structure before finally landing with my department, where it needed to be. Hooray.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

evobatman posted:

Reply to all with "Please summarize".

The very first mail in the chain contained the stuff my team needed to do, it had just been bounced through so many layers of the organisation before it got to us. It was pretty funny once I worked that out.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

CommanderApaul posted:

Any place that is so concerned about productivity that they want to know how long I spend on the shitter each day is not a place that I would want to work.

Edit: Plus the inevitable lawsuit when someone with Crohns/Colitis/IBS gets called in for a verbal/written counseling on using the bathroom "too much," it's just a bad idea. Use the money for an incentive program or something, it has to be at least 5 digits just in management/HR/Legal salaries from debating the thing.

I'll put ten bucks on this conversation or similar happening somewhere in that organisation:

Manager 1: "Dude, you know you've got someone in your department that's out of the office like half of every day. It's ridiculous and people in my department are getting pissed off that he's getting away with it. You really should do something about him."
Manager 2: "You can't prove that, and anyway some of YOUR department probably take long breaks sometimes!"
HR: "Clearly we must start measuring all breaks for everyone otherwise someone might sue us."

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Blackswordca, I've been reading your stories with a mix of incredulity and horror for a while now. Congratulations on getting out from under that poo poo. Remember to turn on audit trails just before you go out the door on your last day.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

SlayVus posted:

I know of a database that is really bad. If two users try to submit an evaluation at the same time the database rejects one of them and accepts the other. The employee who made the database left the company and is now working as contractor for the company at like triple the pay. All the stories I hear about this database sound horrible.

Is it an access database?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

univbee posted:

The correct way to prevent keyloggers is having your computer towers inside a locked chassis only IT can open (usually a steel-reinforced desk with extended corners such that it's "open air" but you can't physically access the rear of the computer). Of course, this would require an actual budget.

Then how would people charge their iPhones?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Sir_Substance posted:

If your employer takes security seriously enough that they are legitimately concerned about security breach via an attacker physically accessing the machines and placing covert keyloggers between the keyboards and computers, holy hell you should not be letting people plug their phones into your computers!

The last place I worked at that had concerns like that, in the lowest security areas everyone was contractually required to turn their phones off and put them in little lockable cubby holes situated at least 10m away from the nearest computer.

Preaching to the choir here - I was just predicting what most employees in most businesses would say in response to IT putting their PC in a metal box they couldn't get at.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

hackedaccount posted:

When someone called me a "resource" to my face I told them not to ever call me that again.

I'm a human, not a pile of iron or some lumber.

When they dismantled my department and made me and a fuckton of my colleagues redundant, the HR person kept referring to it as "This piece of change". I guess that's because "showing you the door and sending your work to Poland" doesn't trip off the tongue as well.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Renegret posted:

You'd think someone who allegedly has a CCNA would know that "Putty" is not a verb and would know what "Invalid Input" means. And know what tab and ? do in the Cisco IOS.

Boss man has been really scraping the bottom of the barrel for new temps. Who would've thought it's a bad idea to hire temps for temp pay who have a bunch of certifications?

</rant>

I can remember a temp getting hired at my last workplace for a pretty low level clerical job. He kept asking about getting a permanent position, kept emphasising his MCSE qualification (which had no relevance at all to his role). He was asked to produce a bar chart of some data that was already in Excel.

He drew the chart in paint, pasted into the excel sheet, typed some labels into cells and then drew arrows from the cells to the bars.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

nexxai posted:

IF you're insinuating that he should have known how to make "proper" Excel charts because he claimed he had his MCSE, you're just as bad as most users who think that IT should just intuitively know how to use every piece of software ever written. Just because he is qualified (certified?) to work on Microsoft desktop and server products doesn't mean he necessarily knows how to make a pie chart in Excel. The two things have nothing to do with each other.

No no, I just found it hilarious that he kept touting the qualification as a reason to hire him permanently when it had no bearing whatsoever on the role. And like others have said, I'd be amazed if he had the wherewithal to get that certificate without even the slightest idea how to hit F1 and type "bar chart".

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

peak debt posted:

Hello I am an IBM salesperson just fill out this simple form and I will tell you for only $2 million

Spoilers: it's an old copy of lotus works.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

DigitalRaven posted:

When dealing with one of those, the wait time started at twenty minutes. After twenty minutes, they were claiming 10. After an hour and a half, I shouted "gently caress YOU" down the phone. A co-worker tried the call as soon as their lines opened; he was still on hold for an hour (and they claimed 5 minutes throughout).

Claimed waiting times are bullshit.

Most of the time the messages are just things that the call centre switches on when they're either getting overwhelmed with calls or expecting to get overwhelmed. It's pretty rare for places to invest in a system that actually makes an effort to calculate a genuine expected wait time.

My favourite ones are the ones that give you the option of pressing a button to schedule a callback once an agent becomes free, although I've only ever encountered one of those once.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Inspector_666 posted:

Not hearing back from a place you interview at is the loving worst. I've had two jobs where I've applied and just not heard anything back, even after repeated attempts to communicate with them, and even with personal connections/references.

It's tremendously unprofessional, too. I understand I might not get the job but at least loving tell me so I can get on with my life/job hunt.

When I was jobseeking last year I had about five interviews before I landed on the job I got. Of those only one didn't bother to even say "Thanks but no thanks" and I thought the interview had actually gone alright. It's really crappy and honestly seems like a waste of the time of everyone involved.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Renegret posted:

Mike Hunt

We have a call center rep with the username abutt as well.

I have such a childish sense of humor.

At my last job, one call centre agent ended up with the login ID "poologs". I wish I'd been the one to hand that ID out.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Lightning Jim posted:

Install BonziBuddy

And Limewire.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

President Ark posted:

See, everything but that could be excusable as wear and tear, although I'm not sure how a laptop could rack up that much unless he was using it to practice his Gallagher routine or something. Screws, though? I speak from experience when I say that it's hard as poo poo to remove laptop screws when you actually are trying and have the correct tools; there's no conceivable way someone could remove the screws by accident unless he hit it with a magnetic sledgehammer or something.

also e on awfulmanagementgate: Should know within the hour whether or not they're bothering to get us a truck, a.k.a. "whether or not they're bothering to keep this office working".

If there's literally nowhere for you to work, does that constitute constructive dismissal?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

AAB posted:

"I need to know how to disable spelling and autocorrect so that I can fully express myself with my linguistic style"

Too good. Holy cow.

This can't be real.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Bhodi posted:

A government agency creating a situation that's so bad that you jump at the chance to pay them to bypass it.

Hey, if you don't pay that agency to bypass it, it wouldn't have enough money to continue to operate!

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Merijn posted:

Reminds me of that time when I was 8 years old and 'cleaning up' the computer.

:v: autoexec.bat? When something needs executing, I'll do it myself! *delete*

Dad wasn't too happy about that one.

I can beat that.

"Oh, what's this FDISK thing? Hey, this primary partition thing is taking up 100% of my hard drive! That's bullshit, I'll just go ahead and remove it. Now I can reboot and finally install Strike Commander as there'll be room!" :downs:

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Fortis posted:

The new senior accountant asks the hard hitting questions about our backend inventory management software:

This was in response to "we can't let you make the changes directly, but we'd be glad to show you the options so you can tell us what changes you need". :allears:

I can't think of any problems with the end users being the administrators of any system!

I was once part of a team that migrated the bank I worked at from one version of our workforce management software to another. There were somewhere between two and four hundred admin users when we started (difficult to tell as they were spread across three schemas) across about a dozen departments, all of which could see each other's data, edit it, delete it, activate and deactivate each other's accounts, change how the system interpreted different scheduling codes, throw away people's holiday bookings and generally ruin each other's poo poo. When we were done there were five admins left and they were us.

Six months after that only one of us was left and the rest of us were made redundant so I'm betting by now everyone is an admin again.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

hihifellow posted:

Requirements for a web application that another department wants to use came across my desk;

OH HELL NO

Edit: req sheet recommends not using netscape since AOL no longer supports it. Did they send me an ancient sheet by mistake

Is your office bigger on the inside than on the outside? If so, I think you may have hit a switch on your desk by mistake.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Today... is ChristopherWalken's BIRTHday. When... you talk... to PEople, do so in HIS voice.

Ok.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Agrikk posted:

Back in the day I watched a cartoon called M.A.S.K. and they fought a group called V.E.N.O.M. and we always wondered what venom stood for. One afternoon we were pontificating about it, tossing random words around and my dad tossed one out:

Vampires Eating Nuts On Michael (My brother is named Michael).

This was in the mid 80's so that story is about thirty years old, but still, every time I see the word venom I think of nut-eating vampires.

Also: I was later in an engineering project team tasked with building a better mouse trap for a drafting project, so we called ourselves Vicious Engineers Neatly Obliterating Mice.

Why do I remember stuff like this? This poo poo never leaves my head and

</coolstory>

I *think* that VENOM stood for Vicious Evil Network of Mayhem, despite that being clearly a stupid name for anything.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

spog posted:

Needs some piecharts

Ideally an area chart with the queries received by type over time.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

4:3 monitor is best monitor. :colbert:
I stocked up on old-school dell ips 20" monitors at my last job. My favorites though are the 24" 16:10. I've got 2 that will some day embarrass my grandchildren.

If those Dell 1920x1200 monitors embarrass my grandchildren then I'll disinherit them. Those things are sweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

I tried watching CSI Cyber for a few episodes and it turned out it was all just normal crime but with a laptop involved at some point because cyber crime on TV would be incredibly loving boring.

Although the main issue I had with it was that the casting is terrible and Patricia Arquette can't act for poo poo.

Edit: Also the writing. Basically all of it.

I mean, she CAN, she just clearly isn't bothering even slightly for this. Everyone else does their best to sell it despite it being garbage.

• Locked thread