Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

totalnewbie posted:

The silliest thing about all this is that there is actual material science involved in making wires, cables, etc. Different strand materials, insulation materials, etc. are all chosen to give it different properties. I mean, you've got shielded cables, sturdier cables, oxidation-resistant cables, etc.

Like, these things matter. It's why you have Cat5, Cat5e, Cat6, etc. It's why running your unshielded audio line over your power strip is stupid.

But no, instead of science, "We don't know why it's better but it is! Give us 5 thousand dollars for this magic cable."

I mean, as someone who actually studied material science, this is just hilarious to me. I'm not in the cable industry but I'm pretty sure that after copper cable is drawn, it is annealed, which definitely makes the bulk material isotropic (non-directional, vs. anisotropic, where the property is different depending on which direction you're measuring). "Non-linearities", what even is that. AudioQuest doesn't pretend to fully understand basic material science but somehow they have the solution down pat.

I know I'm stating the obvious/preaching to the choir when I say that cable companies (amongst others) are so full of poo poo and prey on stupid to make their money, but man, these people are unbelievable.

Welcome to audiophiles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Avenging_Mikon posted:

So, I can’t trust my probes more, even though I have the currency. And I can’t figure out the stats to make progress. Halp
Your starting max trust is 20, you'll eventually unlock the ability to increase it. Jut concentrate on exploring for now, and invest heavily into self-replication to get things snowballing.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I think that when you get enough creativity you can respec your stats.

Alternately, you can sometimes squeeze out some extra ops by clicking the quantum computing thing at the right time.
Ops over your memory capacity decay for a bit, I don't think you can get 15,000 ops in one go.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

null_pointer posted:

I am still steadfastedly refusing to believe that this derail about a paperclip clicking game is anything but a "It's Margarita Time" style bullshit session.
No it's just a game where you play a paperclip maximizer.

• Locked thread