Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Wilford Cutlery posted:

I work for an MSP and one of our remote access tools is ScreenConnect. It gives you a four letter code to give the customer to join the session.

That Google Chrome update that broke ClickOnce integration has caused me no end of headaches. Things were so much easier when I didn't need to walk people through downloading and running programs from the internet 101 for dummies.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

tehloki posted:

so yeah never agree to be the phones guy

Fixed for my situation. I gave the obligatory "I have no idea what any of that stuff does but I'll try, just don't expect any miracles" response and god drat do I regret not just saying "no, no, no and no".

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

KS posted:

No tickets came in...

because my new employer doesn't have a ticketing system :stonk:

I'd love to get some recommendations for a small shop. We'd be starting with 5 agents. There's no infrastructure here, so it probably needs to be a cloud solution. Ideally I'd get ITIL-style incident/problem/change/asset management out of one tool, but that seems to really narrow down the field.

I came from a Service Now shop and would love to get Service Now Express in the door, but they have a $10k/year minimum, or 17 agents at $50/user/month. Ouch. I've also found FreshService, but so far they aren't answering their phones.

Anyone have recommendations for me, or experiences with FreshService to share? Budget's probably $5k/year at most, unless the added features justify the cost.

Just to drag this back up, we use Freshdesk, and it has a completely free option (up to 3 agents I think?) that we ran on for about 3 months internally before rolling it out to the company, and then a month more before deciding "I'd like some more reporting features" and upgraded to the basic paid package. No reason whatsoever why you couldn't just roll with the free, number of agents notwithstanding.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Collateral Damage posted:

I had my first actual "printer on fire" error today. Somehow the printer managed to wrap a sheet around one of the rollers inside the fuser and not detect it as a jam, so it sat there getting nice and toasty until the paper started smouldering. :supaburn:

You've seen the Sasquatch of the IT world, nice!

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

FISHMANPET posted:

So I'm confused, they're emails the VP sent or emails the CEO sent? Because the VP is claiming both.

Whichever they can blame on Gerdalti.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Renegret posted:

You are triggering me so hard

I involuntarily twitched when I read that reply.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Thanks to this thread I just spent the last hour reading RFC 4408 before noticing that 7208 superseded it, so now I have to start all over again.

On the upside it looks like 7208 is mostly clarifications but.. ugh. They really should update superseded RFCs and point out that they're now obsolete.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
"Let's entrust the most valuable operations to the least valuable person" sounds like a solid business strategy. Do you handle invoicing and payroll as well?

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
OSI layer 8.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

m.hache posted:

Honestly it's probably just a matter of time.

Microsoft is auditing EVERYONE. I got hit last year and we're a company of 10 employees.

Yep, we got a string of emails and phone calls to every address/phone number except the ones they should have used, for a company who no longer exists whose building we now inhabit, talking about "you're being audited!!!" until I politely told them that we are not that company. I don't even know how you could confuse the two without being phenomenally bad at reading or apathetic (both?)

Anyways I used the other-company-getting-audited emails as an excuse to force everyone to let me inventory the entire company so if/when we do get audited I can just dump all the information on them in about 15 minutes and be done with it.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Now figure out how to script it, get the whole environment done before lunch, and really come out a hero. exceed expectations to such a degree that they just assume that anyone can do the job and that current staff are slacking and then let even more people go so they can bring in fresh graduates at 25% of the current staff's salary.

Fixed that for you.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

lampey posted:

What kind of job expects you to sleep at work?

Never worked in Asia, I see. People just conk out at their desks after lunch alllll the goddamn time, took me several years to get used to (and then embrace it). Once I discovered we had a couch in the break room that poo poo was on.

Edit: I did not consider the angle of sleeping overnight at work.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 02:55 on May 22, 2015

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Inspector_666 posted:

Is there any good DVR system out there? They all seem terrible in every conceivable way.

Just in case anyone was wondering, gently caress Everfocus forever. I have a virtual machine whose sole use is connecting to these things because you have to let all sorts of Java and ActiveX run unprompted and unchecked and also use Internet Explorer on the lowest security setting and make manual edits to the JRE configuration files with Notepad, all just to get their stupid web frontend to work. It is beyond abysmal.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
I don't know about security analysis but some earplugs and Slayer playing at maximum volume is a good stopgap measure.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

What the gently caress is a computer that still uses IDE doing outside of a beach in India getting picked apart by children?

Let me tell you about a redeployment of old Dells I just did this morning...

They still had the "designed for Windows XP" stickers on the cases too!

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
OR you could quit that shitbox job and move to Raleigh already.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
No seriously what station is this on, can we get it in the Triangle?

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Dillbag posted:

The only Blackmagic gear I've ever used was one of their client monitor video cards for FCP 7. We had 4 of them and had to RMA two of them (one of them twice) because they were crap. Hearing that they are rumoured to be buying Avid does not make me feel very warm and fuzzy inside.

We've got some Blackmagic video capture cards, and they are utter poo poo. If we don't "prep" them by firing up the Blackmagic tool and monitoring the live feed to ensure the card is actually working then the first time we try to access them after a reboot we get nothing, which makes automated recordings a pain.

Also got an HDMI to USB3 video capture card which only works with specific USB3 controllers, none of which you're told about until you get it, plug it in, realize nothing works, and hit the support forums.

gently caress Blackmagic is what I'm saying.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Seems our last SBS 2003 server bit the dust today and won't power back on.

Really unsure how to feel about this. On the one hand "no more SBS 2003" is cause for rejoice, on the other hand now I have to work overnight to fix all the crap that was reliant on it.

Fair trade I guess.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

larchesdanrew posted:

I am lifted from my seat, the wires attached to my body cleverly hidden beyond the curtains behind me. At an agonizingly slow pace, I float above the table and am carried towards the Chief Engineer. As I make my way towards him, a piece of paper lowers from the ceiling and suspends itself right in front of his face. Written on the paper are two words: You're Fired.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Sirotan posted:

I already suggested calling some data recovery places, they told us 3-6 business days and probably $7000 minimum.

Even 10,000+ is chump change if your entire business is riding on it. I'd much rather have some professionals doing the data recovery than leaving it in the hands of internal IT unless you've got people on staff who are experts at storage related stuff, which being a department of two I'd be surprised at.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

larchesdanrew posted:

I am officially a broken man and I redouble my efforts to find a new job; I don't care what or where it is, just get me out of here.

Check your PMs.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

"Enjoy the drive."

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Potato Alley posted:

midelne, his boss run over

dicktrauma, the office manager screaming

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

deep impact on vhs posted:

with this lovely new IoT/connected world it wouldn't surprise me if a coffee machine was running sshd

... with root login enabled and no passwords.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
A laptop came in.

User said the machine was display text oddly upon bootup, which they confirmed by sending me a picture. No big deal, laptop is within warranty so we'll just forward it on to the manufacturer when we get it in and they'll sort it out for us no problem.

Looks good so far, guys!

"Yeah let's just stuff it in a USPS box with air bubble filler protecting only the bottom of the machine, what could possibly go wrong!" :rolleyes:

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
I've got a stack of old Vista machines in the corner if I need to channel some rage, actually :v:

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Cook at 325 for 5 hours? I don't have that kind of time!

What do you mean, I can't cook it at 650 for 2.5 hours? Put your manager on the line!

The Mythical Turkey Hour

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Ghostlight posted:

McAfee had choked the entire system to death by repeatedly trying to scan its own files quicker than it could respond to the suspicious process trying to gain access to core McAfee files.

Beautiful.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

larchesdanrew posted:

I read this as a Windows based AC unit and wondered just how out of touch I am with enterprise HVAC.

Well if your company's name is Target you apparently give the HVAC guys external network access for some reason, so it kind of implies that there's something that's reachable via the internet that controls HVAC in those stores. Wouldn't surprise me if it was a Windows box.

Edit: don't forget the part where the point of sale systems are reachable by HVAC contractors because reasons.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Dec 2, 2015

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Sefal posted:

Me and another coworker are in the process of implementing a security token for our users to log in remotely. We've got it all working. So now we are sending out emails to the users with instruction on how to activate it.

I was considering forcing everyone to use two-factor authentication with our Google Apps domain but enough people have problems just logging in normally that I honestly don't think that helpdesk could handle the ticket volume that would result from people loving up the two-factor entry.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

spog posted:

Technically, it's making GBS threads in your boss's printer before you leave. But that's a close second.

Didn't some poster poo poo in their boss' potted plant?

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Our Outlook issues are 99% "Outlook is working offline"-related.

Sheep

From: Office manager (office@company.com)
To: helpdesk (helpdesk@company.com), Director of IT (dit@company.com), CEO (ceo@company.com), Marketing (marketing@company.com), Finance (finance@company.com), helpdesk (helpdesk@company.org), helpdesk (helpdesk@company.com), support (support@microsoft.com
CC: CEO (ceo@company.com)
Date: Wed, Jan 20, 2016 at 11:44 AM
Subject: Toilet paper out
<End of message>

Sheep fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jan 20, 2016

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
I am so sad that I can't watch this poo poo unfold live.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
I'm like 90% sure that story was a "here's what I did" (in my dreams) scenario and not something someone actually did in real life, much like the "just quit" advice that is often bandied about without a care given to other real life factors such as the need for food and shelter.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Monitor's turned off.

Edit: because of a space heater plugged into the same power strip.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
NASA will pay a lot of money for those things. IIRC they have a lot of legacy stuff that runs on 386/486 hardware and are starting to hit ebay for parts.

Edit: 8086 but whatever.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Second slot is for a pseudo-FPU (read previous posts for a better explanation).

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
First question, did you sign a non-compete agreement, second question, does your state allow them?

  • Locked thread