Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

What I've done today is give them my mobile number (eep) and asked them to call me, bypassing our helpdesk, so I can log onto their PCs instantly.

You poor, dumb bastard. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Teamviewer is alright.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Loose Ifer posted:

I've got a baritone ukulele i've been messing around on for about 6 months now. Any good places to get started? I need to stop drinking alone after work as well.

There's a ukulele thread in Ask/Tell, and I think there's a generic "learning about playing instruments" thread also.

Or maybe it's the same thread. I dunno. I'm not a ukulele guy.

But that's where I'd go to ask if I were!

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Sirotan posted:

blackswordca: is this something you're actually going to do? Or is SHSC just collectively fantasizing about it with you right now?

I saw 25 replies to this thread and immediately thought "blackswordca posted". I wasn't sure if it was hopeful or bullshit or both, but I knew it was him.

blackswordca, we are rooting for you.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Khisanth Magus posted:

Think how much more boring this thread will be without him though.

We had Dick Trauma for a while, and then we got blackswordca. There will be another.

It could be you. It could be me. It could be someone else. There will be another.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

AllTerrineVehicle posted:

There must always be a Stark in Winterfell

Tickets are coming

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Thanatosian posted:

Also, what's with all the history majors? Where are the rest of the Political Science majors? :-(

Education major, here. My intention was to teach the next generation of poli-sci majors how to successfully switch careers :).

And now that I have done it myself, I'm even more qualified. Just less inclined to do so.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

rolleyes posted:

I think it's now painfully obvious that the company he works for makes its money by fraudulently creating billable tasks, and that this business model has the owner's backing. That is literally the only sane reason to chew someone out for turning auditing on - they don't want their fraud to be exposed.

I came to that conclusion a long time ago. The writing was on the wall. Now it's printed in neon colors.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

The impending death of XP/2003 makes me very, very happy.

The fact that there will still be millions of zombie XP machines well beyond end of life makes me very, very sad.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Holy poo poo.

(This may be not work safe in some offices due to scantily clad women, drug use, and profanity)

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

GreenNight posted:

He could get a network extender from Sprint.

Wait nevermind, I just re-read that. Yea...

Haha yeah, the network extenders hook into your home network. There's no magic feedback loop that lets it feed on itself.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

wa27 posted:

I'm currently adding a scrolling text banner on our website home page because the CEO wants it. I know it's a story that's been told time and time again but it's always hilarious to me how a website will go from nice, clean, and modern-looking at creation to a complete mess two years later.

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/design_hell

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Fenrisulfr posted:

Just had a ticket come in: "Some people can't get to our public website from their bookmarks; typing the URL manually works fine." :psyduck:

I'm not the most knowledgeable when it comes to this kind of thing, but am I wrong in being completely loving baffled? We can't reproduce this issue and most reports of it are a week+ old and they're all second-hand (I don't do public IT) so of course nobody can give me any actual details. Nothing about our website has changed recently and the only answers I can come up with that seems any kind of reasonable is that either people had bookmarked some weird old redirecting site that no-one knew about and was pruned without notice, or that there's something about this issue that's not making it past user ignorance and retellings (which is infinitely more likely).

I've asked around to see if anyone can get me information like browser version and bookmark URLs but other than that I don't even know where to start looking.

Every time I've seen this, the customer had bookmarked something weird.

Like instead of bookmarking https://www.domain.com they bookmarked https://www.domain.com/something/something?something.html

Delete existing bookmark. Make new bookmark.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Virtualize the poo poo out of your new environment and invest in good backups.

If someone is an idiot ever again you can be up and running in minutes or hours instead of days

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Varkk posted:

Reality: people will become dependent on the setup. Upgrade will never happen, when it all goes down in flames they will blame you.

This! Server 2003 is barely over a year from End of Life. Fork out the money now.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I give a short, five-step how-to document to a T1 tech in another department.

Tech comes back ten minutes later, says "it didn't work."

A very brief investigation reveals he completely ignored step #3. This step, just like the others, is very important.

Tech complains that the document is inadequate, raises hell, gets shut down hard.

I don't think he'll be with us long.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

ratbert90 posted:

Just to let you know, if you make 1$ over into a certain tax bracket, only that 1$ is taxed at the higher tax brackets rate.

The number of people who don't understand this kinda boggles my mind, and makes me sad.

I've known a lot of folks who didn't want to work overtime because they believed doing so would result in a paycheck lower--or barely more, due to increased taxes--than not working the OT at all.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

God, I dread Java updates because they keep making major changes that break our apps. :(

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Okay did a pretty thorough testing of my app with Java 7 Update 51 and nothing seems to be broken.

Unlike update 41(I think) where they mistakenly put the 32bit binaries up with the 64bit name, and update 21 where they entirely changed the way java interprets quotation marks in code, which utterly broke our frontend UI.

God, I wish we'd drop the Java-based UI and go web-based.

Anyway, gently caress Java.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

SopWATh posted:

we're going to try blocking java.com and update.java.com directly.

That's actually a pretty good idea.

I hope they never realize they can get it from oracle, otherwise my testing schedule will get messed up.

Why not block Oracle too?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Odds of a user figuring out that Java can be had from Oracle, signing up for an account, wading through the downloads, and installing it are low.

Granted, that means that someone will probably figure it out and break everything in the most hilarious way, but that's just the cynicism talking.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

God of Mischief posted:

The worst part is that there is nothing about Java that forces this. It is all lovely developers who can't be bothered to test for anything besides the one version they are allowed to install and instead add checks to their program. At least let me RUN the bloody pile of crap, I am pretty sure it will run just fine (until I find out you are relying on undocumented behavior of that one specific version).

As much as I bitch that sometimes Java updates break our poo poo--they do, once in a while, and it's usually minor--at least we test that poo poo and put out updates for our product to make sure it works, if necessary.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

AlternateAccount posted:

Yeeeeep, eTime.

Now, we've been using eTime for a while but it was tied into a card swiper, so it was easy. This new poo poo is just terrible.

This is where I gave up and told the new company they would have to get someone that knew this poo poo involved.

Dumb question: but does the bit level of Java matter for this app?

Like does it require 64bit Java if you're on a 64bit machine?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

ghana rheya posted:

on and offsite backups active too. So much going on I couldn't recall what I'd shared.

Everything else is good, but this right here is something that would have made the whole DBAN debacle a bump in the road instead of a mountain of trouble.

So good work on that, buddy.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Geop posted:

Source Element pointed me to this thread. Didn't know it existed!

I get a lot of support tickets from our Moscow office, and some IT dude over there occasionally opens tickets with me. Rather than attaching an error log or a copy-paste of the terminal, he sends pictures. Not screenshots. Pictures. As in using a very bad camera phone at some weird janky angle (ie: super high/low and up close). Half of them are basically impossible to read. Given that this guy is entrusted with numerous IT duties in the office, I find it weird he'd do this sorta stuff. If he was some 60 year old dude with no computer experience? Sure. But that's not the case.

This morning, I got a ticket and it has a photo which is completely impossible to read. No amount of zooming can help me decipher it. The only description aside from pic is "when parallel job crushes". Not sure why, but they always write crash as crush; I think it's charming :v: I know what he means in the error, but there are dozens of things that could be going wrong. One phrase doesn't help.

I respond saying that I just can't read the picture, and his problem is WAY too broad; it's impossible for me to make use of the photo and would like a screenshot instead. Within a few minutes, he responds! Rather odd, considering the time-zone differences in-play.

His response?

"what is screnshut"

:suicide:

I work with a Russian guy. He is awesome but he has the same sort of spelling ticks. Shall is always spelled shell. Launch is spelled lunch. And so on.

I do our technical documentation, including proofreading and approval of new knowledgebase articles, so I always have to fix those things.

I find it sort of charming too, and don't have the heart to tell the guy that 'shall launch' and 'shell lunch' are completely different.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

skooma512 posted:

That's like 500GB and it's probably expensive to keep that all backed up.

Not really. Couple hundred bucks for a 2TB drive so you can keep a rolling backlog of 3-5 full backups plus associated incremental backups.

It can get more expensive if you get into big NAS devices or cloud storage, sure, but in the end, what's more expensive to the company?

Losing important email data, or
Some storage

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

SubjectVerbObject posted:

Not spending money on storage is more important, until they lose important email.

And then it's blacksword's fault.

Every day (and I mean that quite literally) I encounter someone who skimped on their backups and got burned for it. Every day.

I understand it happens, and I understand small shops who just don't know better, but for the life of me I cannot understand the unlogic that results in deliberately not performing backups.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

The problem isn't that he did the work, it's that his superiors caved in to the customer's unreasonable and unwarranted demands to lower the bill.

That's a bad precedent to set. It proved the customer 'right' that the charges were inflated and undermines confidence in the quality of work and service.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

larchesdanrew posted:

Our very important, used-by-everyone, NAS corrupted today because, apparently, my supervisor's preferred rebooting strategy is to just pull the power cord out of the thing and then plug it back in.

Now he wants to recover the data. Thank goodness it's a RAID setup.

Wait... no... it's RAID0.

:suicide:

What the goddamned hell?

Hope you got backups.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

A ticket went out...

Our extensions at work are ringing with calls from themselves. That is, ext 827 will get calls form 827, randomly. If the line is picked up, it is dead. If it goes to voicemail, it's empty and about 3 seconds long.

This is happening with every extension.

It really sucks for me because I work from home. My work phone will just start ringing at like 2am. I've taken to unplugging it at night.

I asked our IT guy what's up, and he said it's a "hacking attempt" on our PBX system.

I think that's bullshit, but I can't find anything.

Does anyone have any idea?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

SubjectVerbObject posted:

What type of phone and phone system?

Polycom Fonality phones on some sort of PBX is all I know.

This may not be specific enough to help. Phones aren't my thing =\

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Mattress Man posted:

I had the same problem with my Fonality system at work (Oh god nobody buy these pieces of poo poo), it was indeed hacking. As soon as we locked down the external IP addresses that could access it the problem went away. Only permit Fonality's VPN tunnels and any IP addresses on your local LAN or any IP's from branch offices to communicate with the PBX.

That seems like a pretty silly thing to "hack". What are they trying to accomplish?

Anyway, I'll pass this along. Thanks!

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

blackswordca posted:

I'm working out of the main office instead of the client site this week. Hazzah.

Not a tech issue, but still a worrying one. I got here this morning and there was no workstation for me, they had given away my old desktop I used before being transferred to the client site full time. I found out that sometime in the last six months they started making all new employees buy their workstations. They tried to push that on me, I told them it wasn't going to happen.

Whaaaaaaat?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Ok, I'll bite. What's wrong with this practice?

I just started storing Decomm'd VMs on a large USB drive for a little bit of insurance. We were just recently bit by deleting a VM (poorly labeled server was also the KMS Server). Management went "LOL OH WELL" and we threw together a 2012 server fast enough, but I ordered a large USB drive anyway. No space left on the SAN for that kind of storage, no budget for NASes.

I'm making images of new physical boxes and putting them there as well (we don't backup servers that don't store irreplaceable data - most VMs are born from a template).

A good backup strategy has both on-site and off-site storage of backups.

The reason is simple: on-site backups are fast and off-site backups are your ultimate fallback.

On-site backups can be restored from quickly. Since most restore scenarios are not total disasters of the "oh god a meteor hit my datacenter" variety, this is ideal. It is, however, not enough on its own.

Off-site backup are there for any time that your on-site backups are unavailable. Usually this isn't even a total disaster. Maybe some helpdesk idiot deleted all the backups by accident while trying to fix someone's 84GB .pst file. Or maybe a meteor DID hit your datacenter. Either way, your backups are off-site and you can restore your poo poo. It just takes longer.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

blackswordca posted:

YOTJ Update.

In a holding pattern. I followed up with the company and the guy I would be replacing was given one more chance to prove himself. Based on his previous actions I am fairly confident that he will mess up fairly quickly and be outed.

Ticket Update:
Its almost 8pm and the Account lead still hasn't setup the gateway... way to go me :(

If you were in Boston or Silicon Valley I could hook you up, but you really need to take some time to look at what other people say. Read between the lines.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Good luck, blackswordca.

If I were you, I'd build up a binder of proof of the various problems you have. Anything you can't prove shouldn't be brought up. Anything you can prove, well, dump it in their laps.

Nothing will happen if you just complain. With proof, given your history, I give you a 50/50 chance of getting fired or getting promoted.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

odiv posted:

Holy poo poo am I ever sick of getting tickets that have "This has been a problem for X weeks." in them.

I helped with a ticket today:

"The MySQL backups have been failing since August!"

Turned out that he had put 'no beep' in the [client] section of his my.ini file, which was causing mysqldump to choke.

"NO BEEPS!" (said in the same tone as "No capes!" from The Incredibles) has become an instant catchphrase in the office.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

It really is the only thing worth a poo poo on an Apple laptop.

Also the trackpads. They're godlike. I've never seen a Windows machine with a good trackpad. I've found some that were usable, but never a good one.

Edit: didn't realize there was a new page and this was already mentioned!

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Indeed, blackswordca is the hero we deserve

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

the spyder posted:

A ticket came in from :eng101: : We need to move 10TB of data to the cloud ASAP.
:allears: And how do you plan to do that? We have a 100Mb/10Mb Comcast line and that would take... 2563 hours, and make the office internet un-usable.
:eng101: Let's rent a 1Gbp's internet connection!
:allears: Ok, well we can check with a local Colo or two.
:eng101: We need to start on Monday
:colbert: You have to loving me?

Has anyone short term rented from a colo? More applicable: Has anyone maxed out their colo connection for, let's say up to two weeks (worst case pulling from a USB drive)? I can't image this is going to work out how they want.

I get this poo poo all the time. "What do you mean it will take 38 days to upload my data? I HAVE BROADBAND!"

(It's a 1.5/768k DSL line)

Be sure to check if there will be any ongoing or regular large transfers of data after the initial seeding. You don't want to end up in a situation where there's an ongoing bandwidth deficit. Seeding don't mean a thing if they generate more data than they can upload.

• Locked thread