Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Install Windows 7, install XP mode, set windows 7 on boot to go straight in to full screen XP mode. Bill customer for excessive hours to set this mess up.
Either that or pop in a cheap 3rd party RAID1 card which does have XP drivers. (Promise 2300 or similar would do it)
Run away screaming because MS is dropping all XP support next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Inspector_71 posted:

Wait, it sounds like you're a Sysadmin. Why would the Sysadmins not be able to handle GPOS? That seems like a ridiculous slice to contract out.

Yeah, for a Windows sysadmin I would think that GPOs would be most of your day. It is like being a Linux sysadmin and not using bash.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

GargleBlaster posted:

I love power outages. Everyone comes in, with the lights off and everything else off, with the question "is the power off?"

You forget the immediate follow up "When is it coming back?"

Last time this happened I was IT support for a small newspaper and the editor was asking me, never mind the fact at the same moment he had one reporter on the phone with the power company preparing a story about the outage and another reporter talking to a police spokesperson about the car which crashed in to a power transformer, nope better ask the IT guy keeping an eye on the servers/UPS to make sure it was all behaving as it should during a blackout, he is the one who will know all about the power situation in the wider area..

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

ratbert90 posted:

This translates into "We don't want to update a few strings."

sometimes not even that. I have a number of clients running apps which the vendor insist need the user to have full admin and UAC disabled to work. Turned out all I need to do for most is set permissions for the folder the app lives in for the user to have read/write access and sometimes for the corresponding registry keys. Often you can narrow it down to individual files if you are keen (e.g c:\program files (86)\shittyap\shittysettings.ini)

Of course if you ever need support for it they will tell you it is a permission issue and to run as administrator and disable UAC before they will look at it.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Kies is pissing me off at the moment.

Had a client with a Galaxy S2 ,was syncing with his personal outlook calendar fine and everything was working. Then he had some issue with his phone and his provider did a factory reset and reloaded his details etc. Now it won't sync his calendar with Outlook. Kies says it syncs and everything looks like it goes fine but nothing shows on the Calendar on his phone. The phone is definitely displaying the correct calendar. Samsung tech support only seems to have one answer for anything related to Kies and that is uninstall/reinstall Kies which has been done but no change. Adding to the annoyance is the client will not touch any cloud based system. So I can't get it to sync up to google or similar and then back down to the phone. He has not set up an account for the Play store so can't try an alternative calendar app. The phone only comes with a Samsung branded on called S Planner. I had to manually install the Android calendar on my one. Kies often seems to be quite hit and miss. Sometimes it will work flawlessly but then the same setup with a different phone/PC and various things will not work.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

What do you think the chances are you will see the money back from that? If it is not ~100% let it expire and spend the money on beer instead. If it expires and gets picked up by a domain squatter, that is tough on them. They should be running their business in a professional manner to prevent it from happening.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Either that or
Sales Rep says it needs SQL server and your options are: 1) SQL express, no additional costs but it does have some limitations or 2) SQL server which costs $$$.
Management thinking about this quarter's bonus elects for the cheaper option and instructs technicians "To just make it work" with no regard for how the limits will impact on what they are doing.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

SubjectVerbObject posted:

I once worked in a place that wanted you to give a reason for why you were taking sick time. Not PTO, but sick time, and not just miss 3 days and bring a DR's note, but tell us exactly what you have or take PTO.

Reason for sick time: Felt sick, unable to work productively.

Surely that is all that would be needed. Extended sick time would require medical attention because if something is keeping you down for more than a day or two get the the loving doctor you idiot.

Time off is usually I want to take the following days, no reason needed. Unless it is short notice and it is specific dates for a specific reason then you might have to say why.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Asthma inhaler?

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

I still don't see why printers don't come with a 128mb flash drive that hosts the base drivers for xp/win7/osx

come the gently caress on.

The reason they have hesitated on doing this is because it is a great way to spread malware.
Plug printer in, get UAC prompt, say yes allow because naturally I want to install the drivers embedded in my printer. Bam welcome to the botnet.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Well this is a weird one. I have a user who was on Outlook 2007 connecting to Exchange 2003 (SBS2003 server, scheduled to be replaced in the next 6-12 months), last week we upgraded him to Office 2010. Now in Outlook when he selects the public folders he sees another copy of his mailbox instead of the public folders. Searching around I don't find anything about why this would happen, I am guessing and thinking a weird permission issue but it worked fine in Outlook 2007 and earlier.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

blackswordca posted:

Is this in cached mode?

Happens with cached mode on and off.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Similar for Toshiba. I had a laptop with a failing hard drive, rang the service number and got the run around about running a virus scan and return PC to factory state and told to ring back once it was done. Rang back a bit later and spoke to someone else and they basically said avoid calling if possible and instead fill out a form on the Toshiba Mobile support website.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Rhymenoserous posted:

In my experience rich people are miserly shitheads. I can't list the number of times I was called an rear end in a top hat for losing someone MILLIONS of dollars because their stupid loving $12 a month shared web hosting was down.

You don't get rich by paying out more than you absolutely have to for something. Although usually the ones ranting about the failure of a bottom dollar item costing them millions in lost business opportunities are full of poo poo and looking to blame someone else for their failing business.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

From what I have seen of medical software supporting a local GP practice. The issues arise because so many different organisations come together to produce their own little customisations and add ons for it. There is the company who make the base software, then there is the ministry of health and their various sub-departments each have their own little piece of the pie the contribute. There is the local health board for exchanging data between practices and the hospitals in the region. Then there are private insurance providers. If you have any issue good luck identifying which helpdesk to contact about it and then the standard response is usually to point it at an add-on provided by another group. The one saving grace is there seems to be a bit of movement of support staff between the groups so eventually you come across someone who has supported several of the pieces and can help solve the issues.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

TWBalls posted:

Yes, but a google search for dictionary turns up search results for online dictionaries, not sites that specialize in women loving other men while their cuckold husband watches.

So, do schools no longer provide dictionaries in book form anymore?

Don't pretty much all schools run some kind of internet content filtering which would have blocked most of the results of that nature?
That someone teaching something like highschool literature would probably have reading material where cuckold would be a word which would come up is not really surprising, that a teacher would have to look it up perhaps is.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

It is amazing how many laptops I see which have an I7 piles of RAM and a decent embedded Nvidia or Radeon graphics chip. Coupled with a cheap 5400 RPM. disk. People get these and complain about them being slow. Even springing a tiny bit more for a 7200 RPM disk will make a world of difference to these machines. Jumping to an SSD blows them away.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

I am now imagining how you would modify a clay pigeon launcher to take hard drives.

I suggested taking old drives to a shooting range one day to my boss. He felt the danger of a ricochet or a fragment coming back from one of the drives was too big a risk. We use a drill press for this job instead.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Didn't MS have one for XP called Windows Steady State?
I think they discontinued it unfortunately when Vista or 7 came out as the management options built in to the OS supposedly made it redundant.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

ElGroucho posted:

Why do all electrical engineers write code that saves files directly to the root of c:\ ? Is there a special school they go to in order to learn bad programming habits? :bang:

Electrical engineers and scientists are usually taught to quickly write code which accomplishes a particular task and not worry about wider concerns beyond does it compile? and does it compute *thing*? Behaving in a nice way on a system or respecting accepted practices doesn't come in to it.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

I have been told 1m minimum between devices, but I can't see anything official about it for Cat5/6. Only for fibre and coax.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Lum posted:

The 1 metre limit doesn't apply for patch panel to switches as it's between devices only, therefore the distance is 30cm + however far away the wall socket it + however long the patch cable at the other end is.

Your usage is exactly why 30cm patch cables exist, even though connecting two devices together with one is out of spec.

He had 30CM going switch to switch. But the official spec doesn't seem to specify a minimum length for CAT5 or CAT6 cables so it should be fine. It just seems everyone has heard somewhere there is a minimum of 1m between active devices but no one can actually point to where in any sort of official documentation it states this.
Also Dimitri ExZemos ewww cable ties, velcro all the things!

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

AllTerrineVehicle posted:

Coworker asks if I can move a PC, since they're busy. I say sure, just forward me the info.

:shepicide:

EDIT: I should add that before I got this it was communicated as urgent, which is the true source of my annoyance.

The flipside of this one would be

quote:

PC is broken, cant do any work until it is fixed why does IT always make it so hard for us?
This will be CC'd to every manager and board member they can find
You get there and it will be sitting on the desk completely unplugged except for the headphones.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Loose Ifer posted:

It took us 4.5 hours to figure that out. I hate this place.

I know that feeling I just spent ~45 minutes trying to figure out why a printer was not recognising a new toner cartridge had been installed. I removed and reinserted the cartridge, cleaned all of the electrical contacts between cartridge/drum and drum/printer. restarted the printer etc. Turned out the issue was my boss had shipped them the wrong toner. Toner had same physical size, same contacts and same insertion method, only difference is the toner has a 3500 page capacity compared with the 2000 which it should be using. I guess my problem is I look for the technical solution and sometimes forget that things don't work because someone messed up.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

One job I left they insisted on 6 weeks notice. At the time I quit I had 4 weeks of holiday time owning I needed to take or lose. I gave them the 6 weeks, then gave them 2 weeks notice I was using the holidays, as the contract stipulated.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

ookiimarukochan posted:

Were you expecting them to want to work out your notice? Because that's pretty unusual for any job where you have access to anything exciting, even if you leave rather than are fired, right?
The only job I've had where they wanted me to work out my notice was the one where, up until my last day, they genuinely couldn't believe I wanted to quit.

Manager actually wanted more time, to hire someone and then get me to train them. Any loyalty to the company was at an all time low at this point because a week before I got the new job offer I had asked about a pay rise which had been promised but then delayed because of the financial crisis was still being delayed because reasons which didn't match the actual state of the business. Seriously you can't tell me that revenue is down when one of my weekly tasks was running the reports which tells you the weekly, monthly and YTD revenue figures compared to the previous couple of years. I gave my notice, the manager then asked me to review the job description he wanted to advertise I pointed out that the words on the job description didn't actually match the duties in the role. I suggested a more accurate version, he then took a 5 week holiday. When he got back he advertised the position with his original text. It was about 4 months after I left they found someone.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Splashy Gravy posted:

Me: "What email program are you using?"
Customer: "Microwave Outlook"

At least you can work out what they are using from that, often the answer I get is "um, Windows"

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

go3 posted:

We provide ESET for our clients but client AV should be the last line of defense.

ESET is what we provide for clients wanting to pay for AV otherwise it is MS Security Essentials.
Only issue I have with ESET is the remote administrator remote installer can't deal with systems with UAC turned on. So basically every Win7/8 workstation I have say over.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Reality: people will become dependent on the setup. Upgrade will never happen, when it all goes down in flames they will blame you.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Usually it goes hand-in-hand with "your tiny department that doesn't have the budget, but has high-budget requirements".

We have a client like that. They want everything, but don't want it to cost to set up or maintain. Client is a small operation PC wise, about 4 or 5 PCs in a very ad-hoc network.
The manager there called and asked us for a quote for a 'simple server' Basic file serving, backup and domain services stuff as well as sorting out the cabling in the building etc. My boss prepared a quote which came to around $10k. She asked if it could be cheaper, boss scaled back the scope to knock the price back, she wasn't happy as she still clung to the list of requirements. Later she called back saying she had a quote from someone else for $4k and challenged us to beat it. My boss and I had a chuckle and wished her well. She called back a few weeks later, still running the same old crap and wanting us to install some crappy old printer they were given.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Ursine Asylum posted:

Is there any reason for this in reality? I know a lot of people misunderstand how tax brackets work, specifically the "only the money you make over that tax bracket is taxed at that bracket" bit, but...

I'd take the compliment, but it's not a raise until it's in your pocket.
It could possibly be for the accounting/payroll people at the company. If he changes brackets during a particular tracking period (quarter? financial year etc) then it might make things a bit more complex for them. If he is shifted during a roll over of one of them it might simplify that stuff slightly. The real reason will of course be because the longer the company holds off on giving you the pay rise the longer they can hold on to the money themselves.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

pseudomonkey posted:

Yahoo are being classy about it

As if Yahoo have any reason to be smug about email. A major ISP here outsources their email services to Yahoo. For the last 6 months or so there has been a fairly regular issue where they have a pile of accounts compromised due to security flaws at Yahoo. They then disable the accounts until the user contacts them and resets the password. Most users are incapable of doing this themselves and call on IT people to do it for them. Naturally the ISP will only deal with the account holder over the phone.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Sprechensiesexy posted:

Or you can have the number for your emergency services not be 911 :smug:

No matter what your emergency numbers are someone will dial it by accident. Also someone will configure the outside line on the PBX to the first digit.
Where I live the emergency number is 111, and it is about 49% of phone systems I see it is configured to dial 1 for an outside line, 49% are 9 the other 2% are another digit.

I also have a feeling that dialing 911 also gets you to the emergency number after too many people watching too many US TV shows were dialing that.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Collateral Damage posted:

Just rebooting a machine that has been running for a number of years usually isn't a problem. The problem comes when you have to shut it down for a period of time and things like hard drive bearings cool down.

e: And/or you discover that your CMOS battery is dead.

Even better is when it is something like a Cisco router and the Cisco admin has been making a number of changes to the running config over the years but didn't actually save it as the boot config.

Sirotan posted:

We've already gotten in one of the three servers for this project along with a bunch of switches and expensive cabling. We're kind of at the mercy of Dell now as we really can't switch manufacturers. :(

You don't actually switch to HP gear, just ensure the Dell rep knows you are thinking about it due to the supply issues.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Westie posted:

No, but Eddie Stobart employ people to buy their own lorries with Eddie Stobart's name written all over it.

Very common in the transport industry, especially couriers. Most of them are technically independent contractors who wear a set uniform (which they have to buy) driving a van which must meet strict criteria for age and model type as well as being adorned in company livery. Once again all paid for by the driver. Then they have to pick up the packages and drop them where the company tells them.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

blackswordca posted:

If you can, rename it and it should re-cache a new one to his real mailbox size. When its working properly, delete the big one.

You can also go in to the data file options and compact it, or even use scanpst on it. But at 34gb it will be much faster and safer to just recreate it.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Potato Alley posted:

I finally got this after reading your first post a couple times, but yeah, it wasn't necessarily clear at first glance.

At first I was wondering the exact use for the quiet room and why a business would have one, then I was more confused by what kind of company allows people to nap while at work. The first part is explained, the second is not.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

TWBalls posted:

We have a Breast Center (Mammography) here too. Personally, I don't care what department it is, if there's a patient in the room, I'm not stepping foot in there unless I have the nurse ask the patient permission first simply out of courtesy for the patient.

We deal with a medical centre and a couple of dentists offices. We never go in to an examination room with a patient in it. Similar for the lawyers or accountants we deal with.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

odiv posted:

Holy poo poo am I ever sick of getting tickets that have "This has been a problem for X weeks." in them.

At least you didn't get a list of issues dumped on you during a meeting with your CEO, which he received from the board chairman. They all came from a division head who had his people with IT issues compile them in a list for him, and then he wrote to the board about these issues. All to use as leverage in his power struggle with the CEO. The real kicker was I spoke to the workers in his division most days and always asked how the systems were going for them etc.
Couldn't get out of there fast enough after that happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

It was a probably good decision, it just had a tech spending upwards of 30 minutes as said before trying to troubleshoot the "crashed" server. At least let us loving know before deciding to literally throw the server in the garbage so you don't wind up billed for it next month and allow us to properly decommission it.

I am wondering how long until they file an URGENT ticket asking where that server is because it was also performing an undocumented role which is critical to the business.

• Locked thread