Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
Someone ages ago was asking about dropbox-like replacements for corporate use.

https://spideroak.com/business/ <-- check this out.

Bitching and moaning will continue shortly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

I have seven days (from yesterday) to finish a project that sales sat on for SEVEN FIFTEEN MONTHS. They pulled a customer from the environment they really should have been in for a silly reason, and shoved them somewhere else. Nevermidn their contract specified they are supposed to get monitoring and assistance, and they were basically shoved in colo.

oh, and yes, seven days from YESTERDAY. None of the project managers are doing anything today, and my seven days include weekends. My boss is pretty much behind me, saying, "just do what you can, and no heroics due to their dumbness" but its still pretty dumb.

So I sent this around to all the engineers, and I got a great laugh from it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6_EFE_63wY

EDIT: It was worse than I thought.

nitrogen fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Aug 16, 2013

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Why the gently caress are you bringing your coffee into the pisser??? :morning:

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

blackswordca posted:

efficiency i would expect.

I am going to start a series.
"Weird poo poo nitrogen finds in the bathroom"

Previous undocumented entries have been:
used tampons (in the mens room toilet unflushed)
a small stuffed animal
a watch
a cellphone (floating in the toiletbowl)

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Sickening posted:

Welp, it appears that an office admin has sent an email to someone she was talking poo poo about accidentally. I am currently "investigating" if this could be "hacking" because I was told to do so. What a dumb thing to be involved in.

Since this person wasted my time instead of just accepting she got caught doing something stupid, I have attached quite a few emails that could possibly be an example of her getting "hacked". It appears a large number of her daily emails is her gossiping and saying very crude things about people. I only had to go back 3 days to get 20+ emails worth. At the very least, someone should probably have a talk to her about being more productive with her time.

Calling it now: You will be written up for Sexual Harassment and/or hacking.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

skipdogg posted:

What the hells going on? We've never really had an issue with Lync.

Lync is pretty cool. But nothing is cool once it gets to THE CLOUD.

Microsoft + "cloud" = :smithcloud:

The three phases of application deployment in the cloud:
:yayclod: :yaycloud: :smithcloud:

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

I had set up an IRC server for our team, but our idiot security folks made me shut it down "because our scanner says its an exploit."

I wish I was kidding.

Lync isnt so bad, because there are plugins for it for Pidgin.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Inspector_71 posted:

Could you link me to the one you use? I couldn't find one that worked.

pidgin-2.10.7-3.fc19.x86_64
pidgin-sipe-1.16.1-1.fc19.x86_64
pidgin-otr-3.2.1-3.fc19.x86_64
purple-plugin_pack-pidgin-2.6.3-6.fc19.x86_64

This is my current set of pidgin and pidgin plugins. I am using fedora 19, and I installed the sipe package and it Just Worked.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Paladine_PSoT posted:

My previous company used AIM... in 2012...

We used SKYPE until 2010.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Jeez.

Do the needful bothers me so much, i'd love to move for it to become a probatable phrase.

In other stupidity, I am currently playing a game of Hot Potato with internal IT. I am onboarding a new customer who has their own DNS servers and own internal zone. I am trying to get stub zones set up for this in our internal corporate DNS so the support folks can get to these servers.

I I just sent it to the 3rd team i've been asked to send it to, who just asked me to send it back to the first team.
I have rights on all these boxes, I'm just going to do it myself and get yelled at, I think.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

*EDIT* nevermind, i'm not that emo, really!

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

So I submitted a ticket:

code:
Hey, I need you to add newcustomerDNSzone.local to the corporate DNS.
This is so the support guys can access the servers i'm about to build.  
Please see ticket foo, bar, baz, burp, and fart for previous tickets on how this
was done for previous customers
Problem is, IT support is now part of the larger company that borged us a few years ago, instead of the independant guys we used to have.

So, you can see where this is heading:

:clint: We don't manage those servers. :dance: does.
:eng101: You don't? Ok, let me ask :dance:. :dance:, do you manage the corporate DNS servers?
:dance: Nope. :clint: does, I dunno why he's telling you to bug me about it.
:eng101: okay, :clint: if I add these stub zones, you'll be fine with it?
:clint: My group doesn't run those.

so gently caress it, I need to get them added because newcustomer goes live on Friday. I have the rights to add the stuff with my regular logins, so i just do it. Can you guess what happens next?

:clint: Hey, :eng101: I have a major issue here. I show that you added newcustomerDNSzone.local to the corprate dns servers! Why didnt you submit a ticket? This is against procedure and I had to remove them.

:eng101: I thought you didn't run those servers? See your email from the other day here

:clint: I don't run them, but I also can't just let anyone add things to them.
I swear to god, working here is like a bad Seinfeld episode.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Lum posted:

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL.

I went on a date with a girl that had this tattooed on her back last year.

You'd think it would have been a warning. Next time I will hold out for kernel panics i guess.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

We promoted a support monkey to be a mysql DBA.

He just quit, on the spot, and I quote:

"I will not use or support a company or database that uses racist terminology like 'master' and 'slave.'"

There is not an :aaa: big enough for our reaction. I'm just glad he did it before he went to the mysql training we were going to send him to.

We've been making jokes all morning about it. I really need to come up with the 10 plagues of MySQL, ending with dropped firstborn tables or something.

EDIT: He's white.

nitrogen fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Aug 30, 2013

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Jeoh posted:

So you call him a monkey?

He's white. And yeah. He's used the term before.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Just tell HR that someone broke into your cupboard and stole your stuff and that you're going to report it to the police.

A bunch of people have started using primary/secondary or server/client for this reason, it's not completely illegitimate.

Edit: his reaction and job-quitting is though.

Thats the big thing. We use the terminology the vendor uses by policy, to eliminate confusion. For example, replication vs. clustering with mysql. We have customers that don't understand the difference, and freak out when they get a quote for carrier grade mysql vs enterprise, so we're careful to use the same terminology as the vendor. It'll be interesting what we'll do when the eventual lawsuit comes down.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Lum posted:

Hit reply, type an out of office response saying you're in a meeting and then away for the weekend and will deal with any queries on Tuesday.

Also 3 calendar days is Monday.

Monday here is labor day, a holiday, so it really would be tuesday in USA.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

DragonReach posted:

umm, no the calendar doesn't change. 3 Calendar days is 3 days, had it said 3 business days it would be different.

Well, people can feel free to argue if they want. People aren't working on Monday. If you want to expect something to be done on Monday, feel free to be disappointed.

In other news, I really hate people sometimes. Our build system has an issue where if you put an add-in card in the server before the build, the build will screw up and you'll have to fix it manually. The build system will assume that the PCI add-in card is actually the onboard card, and vice versa, and nothing will work until you log into the crippled box and fix it.

It would be REALLY simple to fix this if we'd enable biosdevnaming. BUt no. We won't, because apparently our support monkeys are too stupid to know what to do when they don't see eth0, eth1, etc...

This is why I call them monkeys, btw.

So now, the only real way to fix it is to script some logic in cobbler, which our build guys refuse to do, because "its too hard."

In fact, I hope they still keep pulling this poo poo, because my boss is working really hard to get server build automation moved back to my team, which will make me very happy.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Negromancer posted:

Yea, that is pretty much the point I was getting at.

Also, people must remember that most open source software has ridiculous naming conventions due to the fact that it is created by a bunch of random geeks. Just because MySQL grew up and eventually got purchased by Oracle doesn't change where it came from.

Remember Monty "mysql" Widenius was born in finland. I dont know finnish history but i'll be pretty sure they didn't enslave folks.

Getting offended over terminology that is obviously not meant to be offensive is silly.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

rscott posted:

The whole idea of "customer service" for internal IT seems kind of weird to me to begin with. They're your co-workers not someone who is trying to buy poo poo from you.

God, tell me about it.

I just finished a rotation of working on internal company projects.

CUSTOMERS will give me the information I require in order to finish their projects, because they are paying, and will be wasting money if they dont.
CUSTOMERS might ask me to do stupid things, but management will back me up when I say its a bad idea/unsupportable (mostly)

however, my INTERNAL customers don't feel they need to follow any process, because they arent paying, and if they waste my time, it doesn't cost them anything.
my INTERNAL customers will demand I do stupid things (no switch failover, raid 0 on OS disks, etc) and I will be told to do it because "its part of the internal scope document" and then support will reject it, meaning that I have to start all over again. Also because this doesn't cost them any money.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Winamp is still a thing?

Does it still whip the llama's rear end?

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

ahh, compuserve! 72307,3602
from the 80s.

MY dad was the first person I ever knew to buy something online, from the Compuserve Electronic Mall back in the mid 80s.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

tomapot posted:

From two pages back but chiming in to one-up you. Some departments in my company either have Radio Disney or sappy Disney tunes for the on-hold music. Nothing like "zippity-doo-dah" blasting through a conference call.

I worked for an indian company about 10 years ago. Whenever anyone would call the Indian office, the hold music over there sounded like tinkerbell taking a poo poo, like really bad, old music box amplified and overmodulated like a psychotic ice cream van, and it was way off key to boot.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

GargleBlaster posted:

Happens all the time but there isn't actually a hard limit anyway, people just get fed up of the warnings.

But yeah we always get similar grumblings with the 20MB attachment limit
:v: "You can get a 2TB hard drive for £50, why are you being so awkward?"
Sure, I'll install a lovely consumer grade hard drive for your mailbox then (hm.. this wouldn't be the worst of solutions. to shuffle fussy users onto bigger+cheaper storage)

"And you constantly complain that your laptop is slow. Magnify that by ${USERS} and you understand why we dont buy £50 disks for the exchange server."

Not that they'd understand or process that information, but eventually it might sink through all that bone. If you hit a rock with a hammer hard enough, enough times, it WILL break.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

MJP posted:

Nothing makes you think YotJ than an email where your manager expresses his disappointment at the transposition of two digits on a new hire's phone # in AD. Because there is nothing less than catastrophic about the business-critical production-affecting failure where 321 should have been 123!

There were no less than five total basic grammar and spelling errors in the email and he is a native English speaker

bonus points if it was wrong on the paperwork from HR.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

blackswordca posted:

For the short term ill get the domain renewed and throw the site into maintenance mode until I can get a parking page up.

No, you don't ever learn, do you?

Let it expire.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Number19 posted:

Sell it to a domain squatter and let them sort it out.

Well, you could REALLY be an rear end, and change the contact info to, say "CRAZY JOE'S DOMAIN SQUATTER SHACK" and put up a 1990's style "UNDER CONSTRUCTION PAGE" and see if "crazy joe's domain squatter shack" can fleece them. But that's work, and only if you REALLY want to gently caress with them.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

drukqs posted:

:laffo::laffo: Mr. Helpdesk

Mister Helpdesk
Send me a dream
Make my computer the fastest I've seen.
Give me a mailbox without any quota.
Don't care about policies one iota!

Mister Helpdesk
I'm such a dunce
I spilled my coffee and dumped out my lunch
and now my laptop will no longer function
I'll dump my problems on you without compunction!

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

MF_James posted:

Worst way to run a call center ever, thank god my work knows better. You definitely need to YOTJ again

This will eventually happen in *ANY* call center type/support environment.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

My boss, the thing that has made working for this huge company fun and tolerable is quitting.

My pod just cracked open and is leaking that goofy fluid. I'll be awake and Morpheus will be coming for me shortly, I fear.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

I have to write a document to explain to people how to properly set timezones.

No, I don't mean how to set them in the OS. Thats documented. I mean how to choose the right timezone to set.

You'd think that if you choose a timezone called EST [/usr/share/zoneinfo/EST], you'd realize that it doesn't use DST.

You'd also think that if the customer is located in Denver, and they ask for Mountain time to be set, that my engineer would set Denver or Mountain time as the time zone [/usr/share/zoneinfo/America/Denver] Instead, they set Phoenix.

You would ALSO think that a customer that is based in Florida, that asked for Eastern time would somehow get Eastern time. Either New_York, or maybe even EST (which is wrong, but less wrong than what I got.]

They set Atlantic Time Zone. Because, you see, Florida is on the atlantic ocean.

EDIT: And my proposal several years ago to just use GMT/UTC for everything [gently caress you, to your operating system they are the same] was met with denial because "that would be too confusing."

nitrogen fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Sep 11, 2013

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

deimos posted:

Amazon loves to call their AWS pricing "disruptive".

It's no more disruptive than the platform's unreasonableness.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

chutwig posted:

My co-worker analogized the whole process to moving across the country, but insisting on moving the house itself, insisting on living in the house while it's moving, complaining about how the move is really slow, and blaming the truck driver when he hits a bump in the road and all your dishes go flying. Mercifully, it's almost done.

One of my customers keeps putting in for SLA credits, when we notify them of sitewide downtimes for some storage migrations. The downtimes last less than 5 minutes and have happened twice since June, with 30 days notice. We got served by a lawyer about our refusal to honor SLA credits for this.

In other news, one of the customer managers over on the operations/support side REALLY wants me to come back and work for his super important customer. I do most of this customer's engineering/implementations (usually because they are complicated) and while we clash a lot, he's a new yorker and I grew up in that area, so it's understood it comes from a place of respect.)

While i'm not seriously considering taking the guy up on it, I'm thinking of things to ask for that I probably wouldn't get in order to make the move back over, but also dont want to sound like an rear end in a top hat either. I'm thinking of asking for things like:
* Unlimited/unrestricted work from home *OR* an office
* 15k bump in salary
* parking spot
* extra vacationtime

Any other suggestions?

EDIT:
* TRAINING (I have been trying to get the company to spring for my RHCE)
* CONFERENCES (I'd love to actually go to some)

nitrogen fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Sep 15, 2013

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I'm sort of new to IT, but at some point doesn't it become more cost effective to transfer everything to a physical medium and mail or even personally deliver the data?

absolutely. The XKCD comic below explains that generally, but in my experience, and for my rule, if data takes more than 3-4 days to transfer, then yeah, mail physical media.

A few years ago, I was moving a customer from one datacenter to one of ours. They had about 35tb of data on their SAN. I had them mirror it on a set of drives, and they flew it over to us, and then I had it couriered down to the datacenter and installed. Even with the 40gb of delta that had to be applied afterwards, it only took about 12 hours from the time the drives were plugged into the netapp to the time that replication was running reliably across the dedicated link.

We actually had to do the exercise three times. The first time, they fedexed the disks to us, and two were damaged and unreadable. The second time, the disks were not mirrored properly. Third time was the charm. Even with all these fuckups, it was still cheaper for the customer to do this three times, than to get enough of a data pipe to transfer that much data in a sane amount of time. By doing it that way we also shaved a bunch of time off the project that got sucked up by other things that we screwed up later.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

The terrible Document Management System that we use has a conference in November!

GUESS WHO'S GOING

Did they ask Shatner to speak just because the word "enterprise" is in the conference title?

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

18 Character Limit posted:

Such building standards are why I kept a flashlight in my desk for the next time the building power went out so I wouldn't have to descend six flights of stairs in cellphone-lit windowless darkness because gently caress stairwell battery lights when you have building generators. (A massive short circuit in the parking lot quickly killed both the primary and backup building power.)

I recall taking careful steps and thinking hard about just how optional building codes must really be.

A few years ago we had a tornado warning over here. Standard procedure is to sit in the stairwell until the warning is lifted. I'm clausterphobic, and I could NOT stand it, so I ended up running down the stairs to the basement. I ended up geting yelled at for it, but explained either that I'd run downstairs, or i'd freak the hell out, scaring the hell out of other people.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

skipdogg posted:

I don't know. I'm in my 30's now and scheduling vacation time around a video game release seems to be bluntly honest, loving childish. Calling out of work sick for it is unfathomable.

I've taken mental health days to sit at home and play video games before. Between work, school, raising 2 children, and everything else that comes with the mid 30's 'American Dream' it's the only time I could play a video game. Sometimes you just need to shoot some bitches in the face. I get it.

A guy I work with took the entire HALO 4 release week off for vacation. A grown rear end guy in his 30's with two step kids at home. Maybe it's me but I can't wrap my head around a video game being that loving important to me. I have so much other poo poo going on in my life, playing video games is ranked so far down the list it's below straightening up the poo poo in the garage. I haven't turned my PS3 on since my birthday in February, even if I did find a few hours of free time to turn the drat thing on, it would probably just be wasted doing system updates anyway :/

My mental health trumps everything else. My happiness and mental health trumps whatever my employer might want or need, it trumps whatever my friends or family might need, and it trumps anything else anyone else might feel they want or need.

Period.

My employer does not give a gently caress about my happiness or well being. It is my responsibility to look after myself, and I have plenty of PTO and sick time to make sure that I have what I need.

If you do not have enough time to do the things you enjoy, then you seriously need to re-evaluate your priorities in life, because you are going to have a breakdown one day.

If taking a week off to play a new video game brings me enjoyment, then I drat well will do it. Life's too short to be miserable and working for other people's goals without taking some time off to have some fun.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Hey, boss, I'm planning on getting appendicitis on Nov 1, is that okay with you? By the way, the new Enders Game movie will be coming out, no relation though.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

demonachizer posted:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/markrussinovich/archive/2009/11/03/3291024.aspx

According to Mark Russinovich SID duplication doesn't matter. Is that not the case?

It certainly does matter in some cases.

One of our new customers doesn't trust our build processes and provided "gold images" for the servers they wanted.

They were basically cloned from existing servers of theirs in production.

So, we got them, brought them up, and removed them from their AD and joined them to our AD.

Can you guess what happened to their production systems when we did that? [yes, the networks are linked together.]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Alctel posted:

AAAaaaaaaaaaaaa

SO the company where I work has an internal domail setup as mycompany.local.ca

And I am trying to install Lync, and need a proper 3rd party cert. No problem, right? Except that mycompany.local.ca is a subdomain of local.ca, and the guy who owns local.ca is not best pleased about us trying to get a cert for mycompany.local.ca.

Our external domain name is mycompany.ca, does anyone have any ideas? Is the only option having our own signing authority?

In this case you'll have to do your own signing authority. You should be able to add it to any windows box via group policy.

Having said that, you really should use something like int.mycompany.ca in these cases for reasons you're already discovering.
Some folks use mycompany.[non-icann-TLD] but that isn't a good idea, considering how often they are adding new ones. I believe the only TLD that is carved out by RFC is .local, but if you are running multicast DNS, it wouldn't be a good idea to use it.

• Locked thread