Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Oh wait nvm

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Sep 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

chutwig posted:

My co-worker analogized the whole process to moving across the country, but insisting on moving the house itself, insisting on living in the house while it's moving, complaining about how the move is really slow, and blaming the truck driver when he hits a bump in the road and all your dishes go flying. Mercifully, it's almost done.

One of my customers keeps putting in for SLA credits, when we notify them of sitewide downtimes for some storage migrations. The downtimes last less than 5 minutes and have happened twice since June, with 30 days notice. We got served by a lawyer about our refusal to honor SLA credits for this.

In other news, one of the customer managers over on the operations/support side REALLY wants me to come back and work for his super important customer. I do most of this customer's engineering/implementations (usually because they are complicated) and while we clash a lot, he's a new yorker and I grew up in that area, so it's understood it comes from a place of respect.)

While i'm not seriously considering taking the guy up on it, I'm thinking of things to ask for that I probably wouldn't get in order to make the move back over, but also dont want to sound like an rear end in a top hat either. I'm thinking of asking for things like:
* Unlimited/unrestricted work from home *OR* an office
* 15k bump in salary
* parking spot
* extra vacationtime

Any other suggestions?

EDIT:
* TRAINING (I have been trying to get the company to spring for my RHCE)
* CONFERENCES (I'd love to actually go to some)

nitrogen fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Sep 15, 2013

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

I've spent my entire weekend moving VMs from California to Lansing, MI across a 6 megabit MPLS. Here's the great thing - VMware Converter for whatever reason is having transfer issues, no matter whether it's hot or cold V2V, and will slow down to about 1 megabit. These VMs range from 30 to 250 GB, and while most of them are thin provisioned, that doesn't matter if it's going at 1 megabit because it'll still take 6+ days. So I basically had to shut VMs down, download the folder from the datastore, compress it using 7-Zip on ultra (which, by the way is AMAZING, seems to be able to read the zeros in the thin-provisioned disk successfully, and I'm getting files literally 30-40% the size of what the VM's actual disk usage was, not 30% of the entire disk size, like two web servers with 9.5 GB used on a 40 GB disk ended up as 3.2 GB files - however, the cost for that is time, and each VM takes about 8 hours to compress), and then Teracopying across, decompressing (which also takes 3 hours per), and uploading to the datastore on the other end. Because that's STILL much faster than Converter (which is the most recent version, doesn't matter whether I initiate from Lansing or California, etc).

Whatever, it's in my best interest to get it done ASAP because these are the critical line of business servers that are finally moving from our client's DC (which is getting decommed) to their in-process-of-borging-them parent company's DC, and once they're there, hey hey, no longer my loving problem. But it's still annoying.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

nitrogen posted:

While i'm not seriously considering taking the guy up on it, I'm thinking of things to ask for that I probably wouldn't get in order to make the move back over, but also dont want to sound like an rear end in a top hat either. I'm thinking of asking for things like:
* 15k bump in salary
* parking spot
* extra vacationtime

Any other suggestions?

Customized ergonomic workstation (think $2k desk and $1k chair)
Percent of gross on client contract

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
A phishing e-mail came in to our customers...

It had proper grammar, punctuation, spelling, and capitalization. Plus it used the (albeit old) company logo and spoofed the sent field to billings@company.com. It was horrifyingly well written.

I work at a NOC for a major ISP, so my job isn't to fix it, but rather to bitch at someone else until they fix it. Of course, everyone who I escalated to told me to go gently caress myself since it's Sunday and football was on, but I'm sure I won't get in trouble tomorrow for something!

The last time this happened (on a smaller scale too) we had executives running around panicking, rushing to get to get a post up on the website and customer communication out. I don't remember if it was a botnet in the network or if that was a different issue entirely.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

chutwig posted:

DON'T DO ANYTHING THAT CAUSES DOWNTIME EVER

Down time for the device is fine as we have regular maintenance windows with the customer anyway. Not to mention this Server isn't being backed up 'correctly', and is on +8 year old hardware. The benefits gained with a small amount of downtime far outweighs running it at it's current state.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Potato Alley posted:

I've spent my entire weekend moving VMs from California to Lansing, MI across a 6 megabit MPLS. Here's the great thing - VMware Converter for whatever reason is having transfer issues, no matter whether it's hot or cold V2V, and will slow down to about 1 megabit. These VMs range from 30 to 250 GB, and while most of them are thin provisioned, that doesn't matter if it's going at 1 megabit because it'll still take 6+ days. So I basically had to shut VMs down, download the folder from the datastore, compress it using 7-Zip on ultra (which, by the way is AMAZING, seems to be able to read the zeros in the thin-provisioned disk successfully, and I'm getting files literally 30-40% the size of what the VM's actual disk usage was, not 30% of the entire disk size, like two web servers with 9.5 GB used on a 40 GB disk ended up as 3.2 GB files - however, the cost for that is time, and each VM takes about 8 hours to compress), and then Teracopying across, decompressing (which also takes 3 hours per), and uploading to the datastore on the other end. Because that's STILL much faster than Converter (which is the most recent version, doesn't matter whether I initiate from Lansing or California, etc).

Whatever, it's in my best interest to get it done ASAP because these are the critical line of business servers that are finally moving from our client's DC (which is getting decommed) to their in-process-of-borging-them parent company's DC, and once they're there, hey hey, no longer my loving problem. But it's still annoying.

I'm sort of new to IT, but at some point doesn't it become more cost effective to transfer everything to a physical medium and mail or even personally deliver the data?

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I'm sort of new to IT, but at some point doesn't it become more cost effective to transfer everything to a physical medium and mail or even personally deliver the data?

http://what-if.xkcd.com/31/

Fairly in-depth analysis of this.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Yes.

http://what-if.xkcd.com/31/

Edit: beaten

ConfusedUs fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Sep 16, 2013

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

absolutely. The XKCD comic below explains that generally, but in my experience, and for my rule, if data takes more than 3-4 days to transfer, then yeah, mail physical media.

A few years ago, I was moving a customer from one datacenter to one of ours. They had about 35tb of data on their SAN. I had them mirror it on a set of drives, and they flew it over to us, and then I had it couriered down to the datacenter and installed. Even with the 40gb of delta that had to be applied afterwards, it only took about 12 hours from the time the drives were plugged into the netapp to the time that replication was running reliably across the dedicated link.

We actually had to do the exercise three times. The first time, they fedexed the disks to us, and two were damaged and unreadable. The second time, the disks were not mirrored properly. Third time was the charm. Even with all these fuckups, it was still cheaper for the customer to do this three times, than to get enough of a data pipe to transfer that much data in a sane amount of time. By doing it that way we also shaved a bunch of time off the project that got sucked up by other things that we screwed up later.

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007

Baby Town Frolics posted:

A ticket was called in by me to facilities. Both toilets are overflowing because idiots can't properly use a toilet.

We have a building of over 100 people, mostly men with only two stalls and a urinal for the men. There is always piss water on the floor.

Times like this I want to investigate who keeps doing this and kick their asses.

Isn't there some standards relating the the ratio of toilets and people in your country? My country has a minimum of one closet pan per 20 males and one urinal per 25 males, women require one closet pan per 15 employees.

What you have there is unsanitary and should be investigated.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

frogbert posted:

Isn't there some standards relating the the ratio of toilets and people in your country?

USA building standards:

1. Make sure your building doesn't actively murder employees. (If this occurs, receive slap on the wrist.)
2. Minimum 1 parking stall per 300 square feet of floor.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Yeah, and I was pretty much saying we needed to do this, but the parent company basically didn't want to and insisted I compress the files and send. Easier for them because I was basically doing all the work. Which, normally, I would be pissed about, but A) again referencing the part where the faster I transfer these machines, the faster I never have to deal with them ever again, and B) my boss is charging our client extra for all hours spent working on the borging process since it's above and beyond our contract. Granted, I see none of that extra money, but I'm actually (unusually for IT) not unhappy with how my boss is treating me so I don't mind making our client pay, since it's now all coming from the parent company anyway. If they don't want to do fedexnet, they can pay for the privilege.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

"Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway."
Andrew S. Tanenbaum, "Computer Networks"

It was true when I read it first around 1995, it's still true now.

Isambard K. Brunel
Nov 2, 2011

``...an explosion in the engine room ... would have destroyed a lesser ship''
Anyone end up in the weird situation of having more mail than email problems?

Needed to replace some Dell monitors, no problem! We have enterprise level support, so no questions asked, they send out some replacements and someone to pick up the broken ones. Then due to the utter lack of communication where I work, things happen in the following order.

1: UPS arrive with *new* monitors, addressed to helldesk. Porters shrug - first they've heard of it, set them aside.
2: UPS courier arrives to collect *old* monitors, expects a package waiting for them labelled 'helldesk'. Hey, there's a package right here like that!
3: Courier leaves with brand new replacement monitors to recycle - broken monitors remain on helldesk waiting to be handed over :downs:

Upon seeing our packaged broken monitors and no replacements:

:gonk:: Dell, why didn't you replace these monitors?
:eng101:: But we did! Are they not working? Can you describe what's wrong with them?

I somehow failed for about 20 mins to explain exactly what had happened. And it wasn't even Dell or UPS's fault!

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
Was it the poo poo that you come across daily or the old ticket came in thread that had the randomly eject a cd vbscript?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

The terrible Document Management System that we use has a conference in November!

GUESS WHO'S GOING

Baby Town Frolics
Mar 21, 2008

It's like we've got each other's backs.

frogbert posted:

Isn't there some standards relating the the ratio of toilets and people in your country? My country has a minimum of one closet pan per 20 males and one urinal per 25 males, women require one closet pan per 15 employees.

What you have there is unsanitary and should be investigated.

I'll have to count the people it might be closer to 70-80 but still too many people for two toilets and one urinal. It just seems like there are more people because someone is always blowing up the bathroom.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

The terrible Document Management System that we use has a conference in November!

GUESS WHO'S GOING

OMG I have always wanted to hear Muhi Majzoub speak!

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

GUESS WHO'S GOING

Did they ask Shatner to speak just because the word "enterprise" is in the conference title?

Last_Taste
Feb 13, 2012

As a lurker to this thread, I have a question.

As a non IT person, is it rude to try to give the helpdesk/IT support info related to a potential fix for a problem I have with my PC?

I can't install a microsoft program I need to work with 2 outside agencies. It hangs up trying to install "C++2008..." and stops. I goggled the issue, and found the problem in the MS support forums. Followed the instructions, and I get another error. Turns out that the issue is likely because I use another program that cases some memory usage issues. I use this specific software, and this is a known issue. I tracked down this solution.
If anybody is interested, it can be found here:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com...ystem-resources

The solution involved making a change within the registry. I would make the change myself, but registry stuff is one area I try to avoid.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control
Key: RegistrySizeLimit
Type: REG_DWORD
Value: 0xffffff (4294967295)

Is it rude to give this (plus the other MS forum info) to try to speed up the fix? It is frustrating because the 1st level of IT here is student help, and it may take a while to get the issue resolved.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Last_Taste posted:

As a lurker to this thread, I have a question.

As a non IT person, is it rude to try to give the helpdesk/IT support info related to a potential fix for a problem I have with my PC?

I can't install a microsoft program I need to work with 2 outside agencies. It hangs up trying to install "C++2008..." and stops. I goggled the issue, and found the problem in the MS support forums. Followed the instructions, and I get another error. Turns out that the issue is likely because I use another program that cases some memory usage issues. I use this specific software, and this is a known issue. I tracked down this solution.
If anybody is interested, it can be found here:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com...ystem-resources

The solution involved making a change within the registry. I would make the change myself, but registry stuff is one area I try to avoid.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control
Key: RegistrySizeLimit
Type: REG_DWORD
Value: 0xffffff (4294967295)

Is it rude to give this (plus the other MS forum info) to try to speed up the fix? It is frustrating because the 1st level of IT here is student help, and it may take a while to get the issue resolved.

It is rude to insist on "it's the usb controller, I know because that's what it's been before. Sure, try what you think, but I'm telling you I am right.". If you give detailed information that's fine.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I have 6 DD-WRT wifi access points at work within range of each other, and all are patched directly into the LAN. What's the term I'm looking for if I want to make them all pretend to have the same MAC for purposes of letting tablets roam around with no break in connectivity? I see there is WDS but that doesn't look optimal since they are all on the same switch (in other words I don't need to depend on them all meshing wirelessly since they all have their own wired connect).

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

GUESS WHO'S GOING

I would totally go to a lovely development conference to see William Shatner.

Too bad my job doesn't need me to do theses things :(

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

I have 6 DD-WRT wifi access points at work within range of each other, and all are patched directly into the LAN. What's the term I'm looking for if I want to make them all pretend to have the same MAC for purposes of letting tablets roam around with no break in connectivity? I see there is WDS but that doesn't look optimal since they are all on the same switch (in other words I don't need to depend on them all meshing wirelessly since they all have their own wired connect).
The term is 'no, don't do this'.

MAC addresses control network traffic at the physical level, if you start having devices with the same MAC addresses on the same network, especially if they're wireless adapters within the same range as each other, prepare for a world of pain.

I'm pretty sure DD-WRT will let you set up multiple access points for the same SSID though, which sounds like what you want. You may still get some short disconnections, but that isn't exactly surprising if the devices are changing which hardware they're physically connecting to.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

GUESS WHO'S GOING

I'm going to the World Wide Remedy Users' Group 2013 (WWRUG13) in San Jose, CA.

Bruce Campbell* will be speaking there!

*With over 25 years of high-technology sales and marketing experience, Bruce Campbell has been in and around IT Service Management for 15 years. He drives outbound marketing and content for the enterprise segment of BMC’s IT Service Management line of business. He was also part of the original Remedy Corporation and spent 5 years in field and product marketing positions before moving to Marimba (which was later acquired by BMC), to head up their Product Marketing team. Campbell was also director of worldwide Sales Enablement at Nimsoft/CA and was director of Product Marketing at newScale for 3 years. Bruce is ITIL v3 certified and holds a Bachelors of Business Administration from National University. Bruce has never bolted a chainsaw to the stump of his hand or said the word "workshed" in a gritty yet hilarious tone.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

less than three posted:

USA building standards:

1. Make sure your building doesn't actively murder employees. (If this occurs, receive slap on the wrist.)
2. Minimum 1 parking stall per 300 square feet of floor.

Such building standards are why I kept a flashlight in my desk for the next time the building power went out so I wouldn't have to descend six flights of stairs in cellphone-lit windowless darkness because gently caress stairwell battery lights when you have building generators. (A massive short circuit in the parking lot quickly killed both the primary and backup building power.)

I recall taking careful steps and thinking hard about just how optional building codes must really be.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

GUESS WHO'S GOING

I went to OmniTI Surge last week largely based on the keynote speaker.

I was not dissapointed.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Volmarias posted:

I recently switched from a Windows laptop to a Macbook Pro. We use Outlook for email, and the rules system for Outlook is driving me absolutely crazy. Not only do you have certain rules that can only be client side rules, such as, say, permanently deleting certain types of emails that you know to be spammy, or marking them read, not only do those rules ONLY work on the windows client, but you CANNOT DELETE THOSE RULES FROM THE MAC OUTLOOK CLIENT, NOR CAN YOU DISABLE THEM SO THAT OTHER RULES CAN RUN.

Holy hell Microsoft, what in the world is this? Why are you intentionally making me never want to use you again?

Oh, here's another fun aspect of using outlook on a mac: There's no auto-archive feature. How do you prune old emails? YOU SET UP A RULE.

https://answers.uchicago.edu/page.php?id=28555

I'm really starting to wish that we could move to a webmail client. gently caress outlook forever.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
Outlook is not the problem. Using Outlook-for-mac is the problem. I wouldn't even be surprised if it was just a whitelabeled piece of poo poo that Microsoft bought on the cheap.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

Outlook is not the problem. Using Outlook-for-mac is the problem. I wouldn't even be surprised if it was just a whitelabeled piece of poo poo that Microsoft bought on the cheap.

I used to talk to the head of the Mac Business Unit, giving him grief for all the lovely things MS has done to Mac Office users. It's all in-house and they are unaccountably proud of it. He was pathologically unable to recognize the many short-comings and how long things had been that way.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

nitrogen posted:

I'm thinking of asking for things like:
* 15k bump in salary
* parking spot
* extra vacationtime

Any other suggestions?

Don't forget to account for changes in cost of living when negotiating your salary. It would suck a lot to accept a bigger number only to find out it doesn't go as far as your smaller number did.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

luminalflux posted:

I went to OmniTI Surge last week largely based on the keynote speaker.

I was not dissapointed.

Holy poo poo, that's awesome, I really wish I had known about that.

content: Today sucks, 3 people called off sick and we're getting more than our average call volume. Aside from normal calls we've got a big network upgrade going on and we're doing more of those today than any other day. It's a freaking mess.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Trying to get off for gta v. Boss hasnt been at work since wednesday. So now I have to drive into work, ask for days off, hope his current menstruations against me arent in effect and then hopefully go home.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Why the hell are you taking the day off for a videogame? Suck it up and wait until the weekend.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
I couldn't get excited about a game on 7+ year old console. I'll pass unless there's a PC version.

GTAIV looks so bad on the 360 and the frame rate so poor compared to even a midrange PC these days, that I don't even want to see what it does to a much, much larger world with more detail. (I own GTAIV on PC and 360).

vvv UniFi is neat. It's also by far the best thing available for the price. If I get a house I know I'll be fitting UniFi APs.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Sep 16, 2013

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Zero VGS posted:

Ubiquiti's UniFi WiFi system does just this... They call it Zero Hand Off.

All APs in the ZH group assume the same MAC address. So all packets from the clients are received by multiple APs. The APs then decide based on signal strength/quality which AP will actually talk back to the client. They do this via a P2P like communications channel between them on the wired side. Clients only ever see a single AP and never have to roam themselves.

This is not something you are going to get on DD-WRT..

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
First day at new job. I get an actual office, and it has a window with a nice view. Was brought onto the roof by the engineering and infrastructure guy so he could show me the directional microwave setups, which scared the crap out of me because there are no real guard rails up there and I am terrified of heights. Everything is a massive step up in terms of scope, budgets, and number of heads. I'd be lying if I didn't say I was nervous as all hell.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Just remember how confident and calm incompetent people can be and emulate that. Channel Tony and you'll be at ease!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

No Your Other Left posted:

Why the hell are you taking the day off for a videogame? Suck it up and wait until the weekend.

I work with people in their 30's that do this. I don't understand it. Back when I was involved with our call center we would see a massive spike in callouts when a new hit game or WoW release came out. Who calls into work so they can play a new video game?

• Locked thread