Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.
Sorry to jump into this thread with an unrelated subject, but I'm looking for a hard drive out of an IBM PC 5150 / Intel 8085. Long story short, we have an old injection molding machine which had the HDD die yesterday and can't seem to put my hands on one in googling.

I figure one of you has to be in charge of some horrific graveyard where it might be located.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

Grapeshot posted:

If you are allowed to, I would recommend replacing the original hard drive controller with an XT-CF or XT-IDE board and then you can run your software off solid state storage instead of some old Miniscribe.

Thank you and everyone else for the advice. We have one super intelligent and competent IT guy (out of three) and I overheard him complaining about how they couldn't find a replacement so I wanted to help out where I could. I could probably do it myself but it's not something I want to get too deeply involved in.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

c0ldfuse posted:

Sorry to jump into this thread with an unrelated subject, but I'm looking for a hard drive out of an IBM PC 5150 / Intel 8085. Long story short, we have an old injection molding machine which had the HDD die yesterday and can't seem to put my hands on one in googling.

I figure one of you has to be in charge of some horrific graveyard where it might be located.

As an update to this--they got it booting off a floppy. Our best IT guy bought out Best Buy's last sets of 5" floppy discs 5-6 years ago--think he has 50 "just in case" :lol:. Really smart move on his part.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

RadicalR posted:

Old technology to the rescue. But seriously, get that poo poo updated - I shouldn't have to say that you are running on borrowed time now.

Yeah I actually found them a HD but then was informed we don't even own the system. The system and rotary injection molding machine is a customers we've had on site for the last 15-20 years building their components and they don't want to put the $20k into refurbishing it.

• Locked thread