Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Sarcasmatron posted:

Project Manager checking in:

I was on a gig where one of the Sys Admins gave me his credentials on a number of production boxes. Information was sent in an unencrypted email.

I immediately forwarded said email to the CTO explaining why I would not be returning to the office until all production servers had been audited.

All of this happened 3 weeks after a highly publicized security breach, which was why I was brought in to begin with.

CTO was walked out of the building 2 weeks later -- I wasn't far behind.

You were walked out of the building or you quit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

blackswordca posted:

So a ticket came in:

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA no

Is the now because it is hard to do (it isn't so I assume it isn't that)? I never touch a request from legal directly until it goes through a shitload of layers and has an owner/responsible party attached to it.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
I am not a drug user, but would refuse a drug test on principle. People have asked me what if it was my dream job, and I feel like it would be impossible for it to be my dream job if I had to give them bodily fluids or various bio-detritus in order to work there.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

larchesdanrew posted:

I keep seeing the word biometric, and it's just reminding me that our biometric insurance physicals are coming up. The CEO is on a huge health kick all of a sudden, and we used to be able to just get a physical from the doctor or clinic of our choice. This year, they're bringing in people to do the physicals here. Apparently they'll be testing our BMI, cholesterol, blood-glucose, and :siren:tobacco and drug usage:siren:. Drug users are terminated, tobacco users have to pay double insurance premiums. Hopefully if I quit smoking literally today, it'll be cleared out of my system by the end of July and I'll still be able to afford my health insurance :smith:

Wow gently caress that.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Rufus T. Turnbuckle posted:

One of our corporate customers pushed a patch to live without doing internal testing and it destroyed their databases. Two of our guys have been working on the issue since 6am. Corporate home office woke up around noon and started literally sending an email every 5 minutes requesting an update on what had happened since the previous email. After an hour we get this email:

code:
Cesar,
Please escalate the issue. Their lack of response is reticules.
Thank you,
-B
That's the email, verbatim. Our guy responded with this:

code:
Hi B
We are still trying to fix the issue. Would you rather we spend our time looking at your email instead? 
That's the closest thing we've got to him putting his dick on the desk and being all :dealwithit:

When you say pushed a patch to live, was it a patch made by your company or are you providing support?

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Rufus T. Turnbuckle posted:

It's their software. We technically don't even support their software, just OS/Hardware/Network but mission creep had us doing "basic fixes" which snowballed in to this.

Oh yeah. gently caress them then.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

organburner posted:

Another weird thins is when customers call me asking about PXE or SCCM.
Like I know poo poo about those. Yeah, I know everything about these things that's why I'm a goddamn first line phone monkey. Then they get mad when I say it's out of my area of expertise but I can elevate.

The nutty thing is that I LOVE when people elevate my calls quickly if it is outside of their expertise. I hate wasting time while someone umms and ahhs for 10 minutes then escalates. People are weird.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

go3 posted:

My support of programs ends when the program starts successfully. Don't know how to make formulas in Excel? Welp, guess you shouldn't have listed 'Excel proficiency' on your resume!

We best effort everything outside of scope because then people love us for going the extra mile and it breeds a good working relationship. Although we don't really do the work for people usually. Moreso that we guide them with a link of instructions or use it is a time where we can give a tutorial in doing something with them taking notes. Our office is constantly filled with baked goods and our users generally love us and it makes our jobs waaaaay easier than just saying no gently caress that to an out of scope request. We are outside consultants though so maybe it is different.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
CTRL A; Right Click; Mark as read. Having a huge number of unread would drive me nuts for some reason.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

organburner posted:

A ticket needs to be sent.

I hate this ticket system. I need to order three parts for a service partner, which shouldn't be a big deal, right?
So I open the ordering thingy for the serial number but it doesn't pull the info for the parts I need so I have to trawl through a fractured documenting system that has 4 different databases for each computer. Quite often I have to ask customers what CPU or whatever they've got because it doesn't say anywhere!
So I find the three parts I need (Motherbaord, PSU and CPU) and put them in the order, right?
Wrong.
Here's what do.
1: Choose partner.
2: Save order.
3: Saving order changed partner, so choose the correct partner again.
4: Save order.
5: Add parts.
6: Adding parts changed partner, change partner again.
7: Save order.
8: Saving order deleted all the parts from the order, add the parts again.
9: Save the order.
10: Choose the correct partner because it changed partner again.
11: save order.
12: Refresh, verify everything is ok.
13: Send the order.
14: Sending order changed partner and deleted parts.
15: Repeat steps 1-13 until successful.

So the next time there's problems with your NBD on-site, this is why. We've made complaints that it can take 15 minutes to send loving parts and quite often the parts end up not being ordered at all or they go to a partner on the other side of the country.
The response?
"Non-issue"
Great.
The sneakiest gently caress is that it can change the partner WHEN YOU SEND THE loving ORDER. If you don't notice that then the parts are gonna end up in bumfuck when they should be in assville and next day the customer is gonna call asking where the gently caress is my service and the partner is gonna call asking where the gently caress are my parts and the other partner will also ask why the gently caress do I have these parts?

But apparently it's a non issue that we're wasting time and money on this. During hte 15 minutes when I make that order I can't take other calls myself because I have to be absolutely focused on making sure that order goes to the right place with all the parts.

Don't even get me started on it randomly dropping contact details. A couple of times a customer has called in saying that we need to change contact details for a ticket, so I change them, customer hangs up, I save the ticket and a pop up appears "Name mandatory!"
And every field is empty.
And despite the pop up it saved it.
HOW?
Nowadays whenever a ticket needs to be made or something in a ticket needs to be changed I write the changes in notepad++ because holy gently caress. One of the bosses saw me doing this once when I just got out of training (one of my team mates told me to do it) and told me I shouldn't, I can trust the system.
Like four tickets logged after that it deleted the contact details when I noticed a typo in a email in another ticket. Oooops.

I also keeps deleting things as you write them sometimes.

I'm not at all frustrated with the main tool of my job, no, it's a non issue. Oh, if the customer calls in whose name I forgot because all the contact details were deleted from his ticket just tell them it's a non issue

I am not above sending anonymous emails to anyone in an org that might need to know about problems like this. (assuming the place is big enough to give plausible deniability)

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
Teamviewer is nice especially if you setup an account. It will save the machines you work with on your account and you can easily connect to them without going through much trouble.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
My workspace contains nothing personal in it really besides technical books that I personally own. I think this is pretty much the same for everyone in my office. We like it this way because we are taken very seriously and not as caricatures from a sitcom/crime drama.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

ConfusedUs posted:

This thread has a strange aversion to fun. So what if some guy wants to put stuff up in his cubicle? He spends 8+ hours a day there, let him be comfortable and happy!

To each their own but it does put off a certain unprofessional vibe. Might not matter for what one person is doing but for others that could mean the difference between being involved in decision making and just being the dude that gets poo poo dumped in their lap to implement.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

m.hache posted:

Well in this case there are two things you can do.

1. Perform the fix they are requesting on one system. Get your Level 2 involved, throw it into a newly created OU that is outside of your GPO restrictions. If it works then you know what to do.
2. Escalate to your management in order to get their management involved. It sounds like you're lower rung on the totem pole so you're going to need to bring in bigger guns.

3. Tell them you completed the troubleshooting steps and let them come back with a different thing to try.
4. Edit the registry directly and let the GPO recreate the settings.
5. Recreate the user's profile on the machine.
6. Spin up a VM to test with and recreate the problem in a non restricted environment.

Demonachizer fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Aug 16, 2014

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
So apparently a "backup admin" at a site I consult for was shitcanned for not doing his one job, ensuring backups ran, for the past three months. This was discovered when a restore request was unable to be fulfilled.

What is amazing to me is the lack of a management/auditing structure that wouldn't have seen this earlier.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Knormal posted:

Because of an exclusive contract we're stuck only being able to buy Samsung printers. They have frequent networking issues, flimsy trays, and if you ship them with the toner cartridge installed it spills everywhere. And because of contract shenanigans a new printer with included toner cartridge is about $20 cheaper than the replacement toner. It would literally be cheaper for us to replace the printer when the toner ran out than to buy the replacement toner.

Not to mention the bunch another unit bought to use with mainframe printing because the vendor assured them they supported that, only to find after they got here that what the vendor meant is they support mainframe printing as long as you have something intermediary converting the mainframe traffic to regular IP-based traffic first.

State contracts everybody.

Printers often ship with a starter toner cartridge which has less prints than a replacement.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

nthalp posted:

Most variants I've seen so far (crypto/wall/locker/thingy) use some variant of a local appcache to run out of initially. It wont make it impregnable but a couple GPOs blocking .exe's from running out of the appcaches (winzip, local, browsers etc.) can help mitigate it in house.

You could always do a blanket block in the entire user profile with whitelisting. Applocker is best method since you can do publisher based whitelist. Software Restriction Policies are ok but are way more fidgety (hope you don't have too many XP machines). Also EMET seems somewhat promising but I haven't looked at it too much.

spog posted:

There's a free tool to protect your system that adds GPOs.

https://www.foolishit.com/vb6-projects/cryptoprevent/

It even has regular updates.

fool i poo poo . com

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

organburner posted:

A ticket came in.

"We tested other computer, boot from power down way."

What.
This isn't translated into English either, the ticket was submitted in English so I have no idea.

They did a cold boot rather than a restart?

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
One of my coworkers is pretty open that he smokes pot. I don't personally care at all but it seems imprudent to just be so matter of fact about it at work.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
I had to spend 4.5 days and have been out of my office from 1:00pm Christmas Eve until tomorrow (They give us two half days on the eves and the actual holiday off and I work on Saturday "just in case" so always have Mondays off). We always have to spend time because we have a contract at a University and they close over break. It doesn't bother me because I knew it when I took the job. I get 8 days that are sick or whatever days that don't get paid out if I quit and 17 vacation days with +1 per year topping out at 22 (total 30). It is pretty nice for the US.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

anthonypants posted:

Preventing bots from brute force guessing passwords.

Wouldn't you just use a post or I guess if you really wanted to use the browser for some reason disable to offending script that tracks/prevents pasting?

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Nerdrock posted:

exactly. Just because users need their asses wiped for them doesn't mean it's not your fault if you miss some turd particles.

If you don't like wiping people's asses don't be an rear end wiper. If you are an rear end wiper, don't act shocked when someone hands you a roll of TP.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Bagpuss_UK posted:

One of our engineers (with pretty much no people skills) went on site to investigate a down server, and was quite shocked when most of the office staff started crying or giving him evil looks after he started joking about "This server is dead, it is no more, bereft of life it lies in peace..."

The owners daughter and grand-daughter were killed in a car crash the week before - all staff (including this guy) were briefed about it and told to treat them with maximum sensitivity

It seems like he was being extremely sensitive. I assume he wouldn't normally eulogize the server.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

LordVorbis posted:

More to do with not getting bollocked when some sensitive soul shoulder surfs me while I'm pretending to work.

If surfing at work it is in your best interest to turn off avs and hotlinked images regardless.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Gilok posted:

Every computer and printer at my place of employment, a university, is on a public IP.

I recently left my job at a university and nearly everything there is on a public IP also. We didn't have printers and certain servers for obvious reasons. It is kind of nice to be honest.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Trastion posted:

Put the shortcuts in the Desktop folder of the ALL USERS directory. You might have to login as Administrator to do this. Then they cannot delete them, at least not permanently.

I do this with anything that every needs to ahve so it is always there. If it is a dynamic shortcut I use a logon script to put it on the desktop but for standard programs the above works perfect.

Or leverage Group Policy for configuration management and eliminate the issue completely? It is entirely possible that everyone in his environment are admins also.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

anthonypants posted:

Oh my god he left a voicemail too

http://tindeck.com/listen/xbbtk

!!!!!

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

nexxai posted:

I'm sure it's been mentioned in previous incarnations of this thread, but dear loving lord, why do people feel the need to CC their manager (who's on loving vacation) when they email me with a request (an otherwise valid method of communicating)? I've never missed a deadline with this person, and she even was just asking me about my upcoming wedding and how my fiancee was doing (she has health problems which this person knows about), so I'd like to think we're "ok", but then why in the gently caress would you need to get all passive-aggressive for literally no reason?

I need a drink.

I am not tracking this. If they are CCing their manager why do you care at all? They could just be making sure that their manager understands what was going on for their own internal reasons. I never personally cared if people we CCed on poo poo and the higher up the better because then I could respond CCing the entire group when I did a good job. Then people know I do good work...

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Dick Trauma posted:

Yesterday we were the target of a spear-phishing attack that was an email to an accounting VP that looked like it was from the CFO forwarding a request from the CEO to wire money to a bank in HK. I asked her "How often does the CEO request wire transfers to China?" and she said "Well I guess just that one other time."

THAT ONE OTHER TIME WAS ALSO A SCAM. :shepicide:

This is so great.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

My last job got hit with it a few times, and I had appropriate backups of everything so it was fine, but I would absolutely have just paid up if I didn't because the alternative would have been to shut down the business and fire everyone.

But you see it is bad to support terrorists so shut it down! A cost of 250 to continue running your business is way worse than just leaving everyone out in the cold based on principles/

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
When I stopped working a few months ago, I disabled most of my accounts myself on my last day. It was pretty fun.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
At my previous place we hired a girl who was pretty obese and she smelled really really horrible. I am not sure if her supervisor said anything about it to her but after telling her that if she was to continue sleeping at her desk she would have to go home for the day she told him essentially that he can't tell her that then accused him of sexual harassment to HR. It was pretty hilarious (to me not him). She also showed up on her first day to an office where a shirt and tie is mandatory wearing a dirty sweater with multiple holes in it. I was supposed to interview her but wasn't around that day so I got to make fun of the people that said ok for a while afterwards.

We found her looking at photos of guns and poo poo on the internet once and I noted the forum and went on there and she was semi fantasizing about non-specific revenge poo poo. She ended up quitting before she could get fired and a year or so later my boss got called because they found her car abandoned in the company parking lot and found a paper with his info on it and wanted to know if he knew her. Apparently when she quit she just abandoned her car there (and it looked like she might have been living out of it).

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

spog posted:

It's all pointless anyway, given that any legalese that occurs at the end of the message is utterly unenforceable as the recipient has already read the body of the text by the time they come it it.

Solution? Put everything at the front of the message.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Dillbag posted:

Yeah, but eventually CPS took his kids so he cleaned his poo poo up, got his kids back, and is now considered a somethingawful "success story" iirc.

The bar for success story is reeeeally low around these parts.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Crowley posted:

A ticket came in

An hour later he showed up with the goods. I bought two. :dance:

Were those really 20 bucksUSD each? I guess it could be a trick of perspective that they seem not so large.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Ozz81 posted:

:downs: "Hey boss, I got the new cables and wireless routers for the project!"

That isn't nearly enough antennas.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
Really stupid loving thing to say on a forum where you have described your job enough that anyone with spare time could track it down. You should probably edit your post and hope anyone who quoted you edits theirs...

You could find yourself responsible for the costs associated with rooting out your "hack" whether or not it even actually exists...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_Fraud_and_Abuse_Act and the various enhancements in recent years can be wielded like a club.

Demonachizer fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Nov 8, 2015

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Race Realists posted:

as a minority, stuff like larchesdanrew's racist supervisor who manage to worm their way into a position of power almost make me consider if this is even the field for me. :smith:

At the CS department of the University I now attend, the racial makeup of the CS IT staff are as follows:

1 undifferentiated white man
1 haitian man
1 chinese man
1 cuban man

The student workers are:

1 white woman
3 white guys
2 black guys
1 Dominican girl

Everywhere I have worked in the past has been pretty racially diverse. I have also NEVER gotten an impression that anyone I worked with was a racist. I worked with one dude from Arkansas who moved up to the Boston area to live and work and he went through a bit of culture shock with gay people holding hands but he got over it and I think is way less out of his element at this point. I live in the Boston area though so it just might be different around here. The only area I have noticed a huge lack of diversity is with the gender gap but I honestly don't think that is something that was due to any bias at the places I have worked.

I just realized that I have never worked for a white person in IT.

I hope it isn't super weird that I just categorized all the ethnicities/races of the staff. It just kind of bummed me out that you would feel discouraged because of some rear end in a top hat guy in a rural (I am assuming rural) southern area is a dirtbag racist.

Demonachizer fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Nov 10, 2015

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

Please stop, you can't put it past your ex-employer to try and find something to gently caress you over, and you're technically accessing a system that you aren't authorized to use.

Last time people brought this up he said stop whining about it :shrug:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_Fraud_and_Abuse_Act

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I was thinking this too but then remembered she'd have to know to open active directory, navigate the ous to find herself, and be confident enough to understand what will change and need to be changed in exchange. One hell of a savvy user.

Scenario:

Jerk CE changes name in front of her a bunch of times incorrectly and user sees this. When she goes in the last time it is still up from the previous time and she just changes it herself. If everything was still up on the screen it isn't too hard to double click your user object then edit it.

• Locked thread