Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I have no obvious explanation for it but sometimes I will be dressed perfectly normally and be totally comfortable, and then suddenly I won't be and I'll want it to be warmer. Space heaters are all over the place here and don't cause any problems though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Loose Ifer posted:

Until i show up at their desk and then I'm the IT savior.

Until six months pass and something unrelated breaks and then you're the rear end in a top hat who broke their computer. Or possibly the rear end in a top hat who "still hasn't fixed the problem I asked about six months ago."

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Satisfying as it would be, and much as they deserve it, give your two weeks' notice and exit like a responsible adult.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Let's all take Agrikk's situation as a reminder of why we document everything with a ticketing system.

Aggrik,, glad you're covered.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

GreenNight posted:

Bwuahahaha what's a ticketing system? Ours is 'sending GreenNight an email and if he is on vacation (which I am) then send it to everyone else in IT (4 other dudes).

You need to get one. Your immediate reaction when you start using it is that it's a pain in the rear end and generates a lot of dumb work you didn't have to do before that keeps you from your real job. This evaluation is accurate. But it's important for several reasons. One is Agrikk's situation -- you always want to be able to point back to documentation that something was requested, was completed, was authorized, etc. A second one, also very important, is that sooner or later business people are going to ask questions about all the money that goes to IT, and your team will need to justify its existence to mouthbreathers who don't understand what you do.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Entropic posted:

I remember this guy's previous system because he had a video card that wouldn't quite fit in the case so he used a dremel or something to cut off bits of its plastic casing until it fit.

We once took a hacksaw to the metal bracket on an internal wireless card to make it fit the form factor of the case. That was at least three years ago and that machine is still going strong.

We don't normally bother with wireless on desktops, but we needed to get service to a single machine in a small building that has no other form of network connection. We were also obliged to put a rush on it so we had to go with whatever we could find at Best Buy.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Entropic posted:

You couldn't find a USB wireless adapter for it?

We could have, but the signal there is poor and we found the USB adapters available at the time unreliable (I had personally used two different ones in my apartment, 30 feet from the router, and they were both poo poo), and the internal ones were less flaky. They've improved since then, and we have another machine on a USB adapter now for similar reasons. I still have an old internal card in my personal machine that I migrated between PCs when I got a new one because of my bad experiences with USB adapters.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

blackswordca posted:

He actually just called me back. Hes going to rebuild the profiles now and reapply them tomorrow morning before anyone comes into the office. He gave me his direct cell to call him up when i test to let him know whats happening.

My mind is blown.

Wonder if he's hiring. Can't hurt to ask!

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

blackswordca posted:

Its Bell, any work would be out east in Ontario or Quebec unfortunately :/

And your present location has been so good to you?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Sickening posted:

Support making up poo poo is half the job.

I knew bartending experience would come in handy.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
So, uh, remember Cryptolocker? Its little brother is here.

quote:

PowerLocker could prove an even more potent threat because it would be sold in underground forums as a DIY malware kit to anyone who can afford the $100 for a license, Friday's post warned. CryptoLocker, by contrast, was custom built for use by a single crime gang. What's more, PowerLocker might also offer several advanced features, including the ability to disable the task manager, registry editor, and other administration functions built into the Windows operating system. Screen shots and online discussions also indicate the newer malware may contain protections that prevent it from being reverse engineered when run on virtual machines.
http://arstechnica.com/security/2014/01/researchers-warn-of-new-meaner-ransomware-with-unbreakable-crypto/

This sounds like a nightmare.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

"I'm sorry, but if you have a PST file that large then we can't do anything."

That's one thing that annoys me about users, if you explain to someone that something's explicitly not possible either by design or by the user's own fault, they still expect you to engineer a solution.

It's been my experience that users don't really have any concept of limitations with regard to technology. Which is why you get questions like "Why doesn't it just work?"

Every now and then someone will ask me something like "But why did it crash? It shouldn't just crash." Which is basically the result of regarding computers as magic boxes. They bought this commercial software -- MS Office, say -- and the idea that it might be in some way imperfect has never occurred to them.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
There's no "technically" about it, that's 100% his fault. You have a policy, he ignored it -- in a really dumb, obviously problematic way, to boot -- and you have no obvious way of knowing that he did it, right? You guys took the appropriate precautions asking if he had any local data that needed preserving. Hell, of all people he should have known that.

You can't control the dumbshit things users do. You have policies for a reason, and when they don't follow them it's not your problem.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
They didn't "entrust" anything to anyone. That guy did it without asking or telling anyone in IT.

There's a major financial firm in my town for who storing data locally is a firing offense. Must be nice. :allears:

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Yeah, I assumed this was obvious, but the goal is to avoid losing irreplaceable financial data. No one gives a poo poo about something like AutoRecover.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Inspector_666 posted:

Part of it is Apple's idiotic insistence that your user ID be an e-mail address, so people are always massively confused about exactly what they're signing into on their phone.

I almost prefer that. If you let them use anything they want, god only knows what they'll pick or whether they'll remember it. Everyone knows their email address and they're guaranteed to be unique, barring weird edge cases where a couple share an account or whatever.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Soylent Heliotrope posted:

Context: I'm the user-facing support guy for my site (entry-level position, 10 users). There are literally only 2 IT higher-ups, a network guy and a sysadmin, but our company is like ~400 users over 20 sites.

We migrated to a new email address format a few weeks ago. Since then, a few salespeople are having some of their meetings deleted, seemingly at random. The same users are also complaining about other meetings getting time-shifted by arbitrary amounts of time. I've turned on Outlook logs and haven't found anything helpful. I've checked their calendar delegates and nobody's given anybody else editing permissions. Based on my googling, I thought it might have been a sync issue with our old version of MS Dynamics CRM, but apparently it's been happening with appointments that aren't tracked in CRM too. I escalated it to the higher-ups who might actually know what they changed in Exchange, but they pushed the ticket back down to me without a word because they are of course busy.

This is of course a high priority issue that is affecting production. :downs:

Ignoring for a moment that they're sales people and therefore have it coming are likely their own issue's root cause, are they by any chance all iOS users?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
A ticket didn't come in, apparently. Except it did.

I was forwarded an email expressing surprise that my team created no tickets during the last two weeks. It came with an attached report that provided no information on my team's ticket creation, so I'm not sure where this idea came from. I personally closed 60+ tickets in that timeframe and I have several other team members.

This isn't the first time reports have been inaccurate. There were similar errors the first week they started running these new reports, and I emailed the guy running him to know that his results were wrong and he should check his reporting algorithm, and cc'd my boss. I got no response whatsoever.

Feels like someone is trying to set us up to take a fall. I think I need to find a new gig. This job has been so good to me for the past several years, and it's just getting so toxic. I hate worrying about this poo poo.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

tehloki posted:

but he's had his assistant order about $300 worth of spare ink cartridges for it over the years

So, like, one cartridge, then.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Collateral Damage posted:

We have a strong policy against personal printers here and it mostly works, but there are still a few C-people who think they are above the rules and can pull enough important strings to get it anyway.

A lot of our people think this too.

They are right :(

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Zero VGS posted:

A ticket came in, I'm apparently getting some type of promotion. My boss asked me to pick my new title. I've been "IS Coordinator", corporate's default, I'm a generalist who does everything on all computers, runs the whole network myself including active directory etc. No one works under me (yet, we're trying to hire underlings for me), and my boss is "IS Director".

What's the best sounding new title I can pick? "Systems Administrator"? "Lead Systems Administrator"?

Senior Information Services Architect :haw:

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I'm nice to people, but I don't ever want to do personal work beyond a quick question or two. There's a guy I trust at a local shop; I refer people there, specifically to that guy.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

odiv posted:

Speaking of Excel, how do you get people from friggin' Finance to stop calling with questions about it? Maybe I'm just too polite, but I keep telling them I'm no Excel whiz and they should ask their manager for training.

I have never figured this out. I spend a staggering amount of time teaching people to use the basic tools required to do their jobs. I have no idea how some of them get hired.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

myron cope posted:

I feel like this happens everywhere though. Why? Is it just a lack of basic human decency?

Simply put, because they do not respect your time.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

nexxai posted:

What kind of properly planned business would have a need for a next-day server?

None. Reading this thread, what percentage of businesses do you imagine to be properly planned?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I may have mentioned this some time back, but I was once asked to deal with a computer that literally had organic matter growing on it. I told them I wasn't touching it until it had been cleaned and disinfected.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

SEKCobra posted:

Why is there hate for dvi now? Vga needs to die, but whats wrong with dvi? Hell DP, HDMI and DVI all work very well and the biggest point when working with them is the sort of plug you want.

This is exactly why DVI is such a pain in the dick. Oh, it has a DVI port. Is it DVI-I or DVI-D (or god help you, DVI-A)? Is it single- or dual-link? (Trick question, nothing is ever dual link.) Oh, wait, it could also be DMS-59! gently caress yooooouuuuuuuuuuuuu. Can we just stick with HDMI?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Oh god I hate that. I run into it occasionally as well. Look, I get that no one knows everything, and you might have to do some research or even open a support ticket. Yes, I understand that that takes time and even money. But you're going to loving do it, because I don't have the authority or the access, and I cannot turn around and tell the leadership of the organization that the official answer is "I don't know."

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

ZetsurinPower posted:

I'd say having zero technical aptitude and no ambition while making $50k a year on a helpdesk and having the ability to work from home is hitting the jackpot for certain people here.

There are a couple people who have more potential but there is no path for promotion and the engineering staff doesn't take them seriously because of their peers. They have a strong goon-in-a-well mentality that keeps them on helpdesk for 7 years straight, it doesn't help that they are over-compensated and never pushed to improve (and the low performers are not disciplined in any meaningful way). All around bad environment for success.

The lack of an established path for career improvement is a really big part of it, I think. In most other professional fields there's either no such thing as promotion (say, veterinarians -- you have the degree and the licensure or you don't) or there's professional development and a promotion pathway. For someone in a helpdesk role none of that poo poo is true and anything you get you usually do on your own time on your own dime. No one wants helpdesk people out for training because it means they aren't there to do the support work.

I was just looking at taking a week-long training course. My boss doesn't mind paying for it, but he has no training budget whatsoever. We do tuition reimbursement, but it would cover about a third of the cost and I'd have to pay the rest myself. Meanwhile, other people in other fields in the same organization go to conferences and whatnot.

There's no culture of internal promotion where I am, so to advance I pretty much need to change employers. I'm in a much better and more varied role than your average helpdesk, but I'm looking to move on and it's just not easy to do.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I spent a couple of hours wrestling with a bluescreening laptop (device driver issue) for a VIP, because Windows does not respect its own settings. I eventually had to go and find the registry key that controls the setting I needed; this key's location is different from what the documentation says it is and it has a different name from what the documentation says it does. This laptop also does not have an optical drive or a wired NIC, and the device that was causing problems was the wireless card. That was a fun time. :argh:

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
My boss asked me to look at a computer. Not only is it a personal computer, it isn't even his -- it's his neighbor's. Motherfucker, my family doesn't get to bring me any computers that don't belong to a relative. I have a no personal work policy at work, it's a nightmare and not worth it. I refer them to a trusted local guy.

But whatever, my boss is a good guy who's always done right by me. I'll do him a solid and take a look. Turns out that not only does he not know what's wrong with it -- his neighbor told him, and I quote, "It's hosed up" -- but it has exactly one account and we don't have the password. Also, this last discovery tells me that my boss has not attempted troubleshooting before bringing it to me, or even so much as turned it on.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Yeah, I think I am less willing to do that than just wait for my boss to call this idiot,

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
That is the result of loving CSI and similar shows. People believe you have some kind of magical "enhance" filter you can apply.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I can't speak to overarching JetDirect schema, but IIRC at least 4600s and 4700s all used removable JetDirect cards. On paper this sounds great, because if the JetDirect card died you could just replace it. In practice it was less so, because they were the only ones that ever failed. There was one specific model that was constantly failing, not that I could tell you which one offhand because all the models looked pretty much the same.

Older JetDirect crap were standalone units took a network cable to the jack and USB to the device. Those were a pain in the rear end.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
What if you just don't bring up an Internet website at work like a normal person?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
A user emailed me yesterday to ask that I install a network printer in the next room while her printer is being serviced. This printer has been a problem in the recent past and they made the same request, so I went to do it and found it was already installed. So I replied and told her it was already there and she just had to select it.

She replied that it's "not on there anymore." Taking bets now about what I'll find when I check it out. Not only is there no good reason to have uninstalled the device, I don't think it's likely she even knows how.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

drukqs posted:

Is it just me or is anyone else offended when people only use the subject line to communicate?

It's nowhere near a big enough deal to say anything to them, but I really hate that, yes.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
You can call me a humorless bore if you want, but to me this field has enough annoyances without people you work with creating more of them for you, even if you think they're benign. I want the people I work with to act like professionals.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Galler posted:

I think this is a big part of IT people's frustration. I find it completely unfathomable when people aren't willing to take a bit of initiative and loving read the words in front of them or poke some buttons to see what happens. My thought process is just incompatible with that (lack of) thought process. I also fix my own car, home, pinball machines, whatever else I take an interest in and also build stuff because I want to know how and why stuff works, don't trust strangers much, and don't want to pay someone else to do something I can do unless it's a really lovely job and labor for it is cheap (roofing for example).

Fixing cars or really anything you encounter in day to day life isn't any harder than fixing a computer you just need the right tools and a basic understanding of how the system works which you gain the same way you originally gained your computer knowledge. Dive right in and figure that poo poo out.

That said there are plenty of things I do not understand at all like fashion, art, movies, and poo poo like that. People start talking about those subjects and I can't do anything but stare blankly because I don't understand a single bit of what they are on about. So in that respect I can understand why a lot of users are like that even if I don't understand how they can think that way.

I'm like this but not with cars, much as I'd like to be. With a computer, or most other things, the worst that happens is you break it, and probably that isn't going to happen anyway. With a car, loving up could be lethal.

Maybe it's just me. I read Spider Robinson's Callahan's Crosstime Saloon years and years ago, and even now the thing with Jake's wife sticks in my mind. I saved $200, easy....

Ozz81 posted:

As someone who's near illiterate with Macs, I can attest that if you've got the ambition to learn it, it's a LOT less difficult than it looks or seems.

I don't think most of us think it looks or seems very difficult. When we became a mixed environment work gave me a MacBook so I would be able to fiddle with it and learn my way around. I spent an hour saying "I wonder how you do this. Oh, it's exactly like Windows, cool." The environments have converged a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
That one is especially appropriate for the industry, too.

• Locked thread