Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

jaegerx posted:

Because I live in the command line? Need to transfer files to a bunch of hosts? For loop with scp and ssh keys. Need to look up a DNS record. Dig. Need to test a correct web response with auth. Curl. Need to tar up a directory to transfer. Tar. Windows requires me to click around a gui. That slows me down.

As I said. I wasn't allowed a Linux vm on my workstation.

Cygwin won't cut it and I don't think I could install it since I don't have admin on windows.

Why won't Cygwin cut it? It has all of those tools. I do all my work on a Windows laptop with Cygwin and PuTTY. And yes, you can install Cygwin without admin rights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Rhymenoserous posted:

Probably just wants to find a low key job for his salty years.

I think I'm going to be a PC tech(or whatever the equivalent is 20 years from now) when I retire. Not out of any desire to keep my hand in, but just so I can have something to do that keeps me busy and I don't give a poo poo if I get fired or not.

There probably won't *be* an equivalent field in a couple of decades, I'd guess. The home desktop PC is already a dying industry except for hard-core nerds (who don't need a tech), and most offices by then will probably be using disposable thin clients connecting to networked SaaS applications, or at best, some sort of laptop-tablet hybrid with limited local storage and no user-serviceable parts. Servers will probably be the only field with hardware similar to what they are today, so DC guy or a provisioning admin might be the closest you'd get.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Sickening posted:

Was he not salary? If the office is closed that should be free paid time off for all.

If he's salary then Federal law says he has to be paid in full for any week in which he works at all, but since there are no Federal laws (and few if any state laws) governing vacation time or holidays, it's not usually illegal to charge people vacation days for office closings, and there are a lot of companies that do it. It is a pretty lovely thing to do, though (particularly when you're springing it on people at the last minute), and a really stupid policy to lose a key employee over. But hey, the less outstanding PTO on the balance sheet, the better, right? :downs:

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

jadeddrifter posted:

You may want to talk to a lawyer or spend some time in the law library. If you are a salary employee and the business is going to be closed so you can not go to work then I believe that is a paid day off.

It's a paid day off in that as an exempt employee you legally have to be paid your full weekly salary if you worked at all during that week, but there is no law in the US that I know of that prevents a company from deducting it from your PTO balance (current or future), if they decide that is their policy.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
Even most of the positive Glassdoor reviews of one of my previous companies complain about the very low pay and lack of raises (when I left them for another job, my salary wasn't even on the bell curve for my position on most salary review sites).

Now I see their latest review says "It was an interesting place to work, I just wish it wasn't an unpaid internship, and it would have been nice to be reimbursed for travel expenses...", so apparently they've found a new way to lower their labor costs even more. :v: I do wonder if "travel expenses" meant "help cover the cost of getting to work" or if it was a "Go to southeast Asia for a month on your own dime to train our outsourced phone support" request like they tried to pull on me once...

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

larchesdanrew posted:

That was it, we lost all access to the UI. Nothing could be done but a factory reset.

What kind of an enterprise firewall doesn't have a serial console port of some sort?

Edit: Wait, how did you even do the initial configuration without a console connection? Or did whatever you change break the console connection somehow? If so, that seems like a ridiculous design flaw...

dennyk fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jan 18, 2015

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Eldercain posted:

I really wish I were exaggerating about those times too. I can't imagine people who have a longer commute having to do that, and it seems kind of idiotic to endager a bunch of employees who can do the same work from a remote login.

During Atlanta's hilarious snow mess last year, I was the only one from my team who actually read the weather report and worked from home that day, even though everyone can do it if they need to. Everyone else went in to work, tried to leave at noon along with everyone else in the entire metro area, and were all stuck in their cars or random roadside businesses for the next six to thirty-six hours.

Now every time it gets chilly and cloudy, they all come to me to ask if they should come in to work tomorrow or not. :v:

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
That sounds like it's more of a "gently caress, MSPs are expensive, surely we can find some broke college kid to do this stuff for ten bucks an hour instead..." situation.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

ilkhan posted:

User: My laptop can't see my home wifi network!
Me: Have you rebooted? Did you try flipping the hardware switch on the front?
User: I did reboot and the switch looks to be correct.
Me: *grumble* <remote in> ok, the wifi isn't disabled. Can you try actually moving the little switch?
<wifi suddenly shows networks>
user: Really? The little red light means off?

:psyboom:

Let me guess, this user was about 40 or older, right? Long, long ago in the Dark Times before all these fancy colored LEDs were around, all of the little "this thing is turned on" lights on electronic gizmos were red, because red was all we had, you see. If a thing was off, there'd be no light at all. Then you kids and your fancy green and blue and yellow lights came along and now everything is all confusing and poo poo. :corsair:

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Ozz81 posted:

Keep chatterin' grandpa, I'll be waiting by my phone when you can't figure out why your laptop hibernates when you try to turn it off

No lie, happened to my 58 year old dad, he was always "shocked at how fast it seemed to boot up"

Clearly you mean "sleep" since waking up from hibernation means loading several gigs of memory data from a lovely consumer-grade 5400RPM spinning disk, which could only be considered "fast" if you're talking in terms of a geologic time scale. :colbert:

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
One of our app developers emailed one of our external vendors today about an issue with SSH private key authentication for an account on one of the systems the vendor hosts. Gave 'em the detailed error message with the auth failure and everything.

The vendor's "Senior Technical Analyst" replied with:

"That looks like a networking issue. You need to call your DBA."

I don't even :psyduck:

Luckily the dev decided to send it my way. Turns out the SSH key isn't working because the vendor's gone and hosed up the ownership on the user's home directory, just like the last three or four times this issue has happened with that account. Now the dev team will have to submit a ticket to the vendor about it again, and if past experience is any indication, it will take a week or two and at least two six-person conference calls to get them to fix the directory ownership. :cripes:

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

AlexDeGruven posted:

We use LVM pretty extensively, so it's kind of important, not to mention a basic skill for any organization of an appreciable size.

I can't imagine why you wouldn't use LVM in any Linux build these days, unless you have some unusual storage configuration where it doesn't make sense. Hell, even if you don't use some of the advanced functions, just the ability to easily consolidate, expand, and reallocate space on your filesystems is invaluable. This guy either hasn't actually touched Linux in years (are you sure he specified Red Hat "Enterprise"? :v: ), or he's been working at a shop supporting a bunch of legacy stuff (or working under some legacy sysadmins).

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

NZAmoeba posted:

At my previous job in a datacenter, one of the old engineers expressly forbid the storing of cardboard boxes, saying they were a fire hazard. If you had something in there temporarily you needed to keep the box for, you had to make arrangements with one of our other facilities.

Whether that was actually true or not, or just his way of making sure we didn't have boxes cluttering up our poo poo, I don't know.

Cardboard can certainly be a fire hazard; you don't really want to have a big pile of easily-ignited cardboard in your otherwise fire-resistant data center.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

myron cope posted:

Where I work more or less everything is done in coldfusion.

Out of curiosity, how is your commute from the present to 2002?

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Kurieg posted:

I'm not in charge of that kind of stuff, but to maintain referential integrity they will probably have to restore the whole database from the Live environment, last time they did that it took us down for a week.

Oh well, It should be a good test to see if the admins can follow our postconfig documentation :v:

How big is your database (and/or how poor is your infrastructure) that it would take a week to refresh a dev environment from production? Even our huge environments only take a few hours to refresh using SAN volume snapshots; guess it could take a day or so in some cases if we were forced to do an old-fashioned import from the most recent production export for some reason, but still nothing like a week.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

neogeo0823 posted:

I never learned to type properly.

Heh, you type just like I do. I managed 67wpm on that test; plenty fast enough for sysadmin work.

I also never use Caps Lock, even when typing a long uppercase string. Just doesn't feel natural. I do occasionally nick the Caps Lock key when I'm aiming for Shift, though, and then it takes me a second to wonder why my words sUDDENLY lOOK lIKE tHIS. :v:

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
Back in high school I stored my digital media projects on a flopticle for a couple of semesters and on an MO disc after that. We had all sorts of interesting tech in our labs there. I spent quite a bit of time working on a Centris 650 that had a slide scanner in the drive bay. We also had a NeXTstation, and the video production guys had a sweet Amiga rig with all kinds of fun accessories. One summer we put in a whole lab of brand new 5000-series PowerMacs (which almost electrocuted some elementary school kids who were doing a weeklong summer program there; they were the first ones to use the new lab and it turns out that plugging a few dozen PowerMacs into a series of daisy-chained power strips all plugged into one outlet and then powering them all on at once is a Bad Idea, unless your goal is to see how big of an electrical arc you can create. :science: ).

We also had a few PC labs, including an AutoCAD lab. Got to play with some fun stuff back then.

Edit: I had (well, have) a Commodore 64 with a 1541, so I was using 5.25" disks since I was like six, but my first PC was all fancy and had a 3.5" drive AND a CD-ROM. :toot: I had to get another 4MB of RAM for it so I could play my Interplay Lord of the Rings game and NASCAR Racing, though (and make special boot disks for 'em as well; spent ages messing with the boot config files and emm386...).

dennyk fucked around with this message at 22:56 on May 13, 2015

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Tab8715 posted:

Correct, all your VM's or LPARS are probably still running but I'm not sure if it's just that easy to simply plug-in another HMC.

You should be able to find something on IBM's Knowledge Center but honestly I'd call IBM before touching anything.

Definitely call IBM before messing with anything. Support should at least be able to point you to the correct documentation or maybe even walk you through the process of a restore to a new HMC. Losing an HMC shouldn't break your existing LPARs now, but it's certainly possible to break something in the process of restoring your HMC from backup. (You DO have current backups of the HMC configs, right? Right?? :ohdear: )

If you're running an AIX shop with no AIX experience and no IBM support contract, then it's probably time to :yotj: voluntarily ASAP before you experience an RGE (assuming it's not too late already).

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Sheep posted:

Edit: I did not consider the angle of sleeping overnight at work.

Commuting is literally stealing time from the company, you know. :colbert:

(So is sleeping, but there seems to be a critical shortage of labor resources in the US that don't go batshit insane and die after being awake and working for just a week or two straight. Thanks, Obama! :argh: )

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Laserface posted:

How does anyone think that acting in that manner will result in a positive outcome?

Either they are legitimately mentally ill and unable to control their behavior, or they've learned that throwing temper tantrums will get them their way in person (since the "give the screaming person whatever they want and hope they go away" approach to conflict resolution is pretty common these days) and assume the same will be true over the phone or Internet. anthonypants' customer seems more like he's in the "mentally ill" category, though...

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

We're not looking for new hose, go hit up the junkyard.

No room in the budget for that. Time for a mandatory "Vacuum Cleaners for Charity" drive. The employee who brings in the one with the longest hose gets a small T-shirt with the logo of some company we bought out five years ago on it! :toot:

Edit: Don't worry, we'll just remove the hoses and give the rest of the vacuum cleaner bits to the homeless guy who camps out by the dumpsters out back, so it's totally for a good cause.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

sfwarlock posted:

We need the directory structure to look like "/datastore/[a-z]/[a-z]/[a-z]" instead of "/datastore/[aaa-zzz]".

After a few moments thought, I came up with

:words:

To quote Top Gear, a brilliant solution to a problem that never should have existed in the first place.

That's a lotta C to say:

code:
#!/bin/bash
mkdir -p /datastore/{a..z}/{a..z}/{a..z}
:v:

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
Whenever I encounter a simple problem like that (e.g. creating multiple nested directories based on a pattern), even if I already have an idea for a solution, I always take a couple of minutes to google it and read a few Stack Exchange/StackOverflow threads or something. There's always going to be several ways to accomplish something, so it's good to learn some extra options and then pick the "best" (fastest, shortest, most portable, most robust/reusable, etc.) for your particular task. Plus you'll often learn at least one cool trick you didn't already know in the process. :eng101:

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

FireSight posted:

Deskside Support? Uh... ok. Well the rest of it is fairly obvious he's just indian... also his name is stereotypical indian, so I'll forgive this.
So I respond to him, asking about pay. He gets back to me... and responds using the wrong name.

I had an Indian recruiter send me four emails about the same job in the span of ten minutes, each one using a different wrong name. The last one was addressed to "Dear CONFIDENTIAL..." :cripes:

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
Every time I touch my resume on Monster or update my LinkedIn profile, I get at least half a dozen calls and a dozen emails a day from recruiters, probably half of which are about legit perm jobs in my area that actually fit my skill set (the rest are spam from overseas call centers for poo poo contract jobs in random podunk towns across the country that are barely related to my experience, of course). It's actually a bit annoying when I'm not really looking, but it's good to know the market is still hot around here, I suppose.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

CitizenKain posted:

One came in yesterday, ticket title: "TPG down sense 7am", in the body "TPG down sense 7am, <user> went into server room, noticed USP was at 28% but couldn't see anything plugged in. powered on TPG, escalating to network admins to check power on TPG and its power supply"

Hell, getting a couple homophones mixed up is pretty minor in the world of T1 support tickets. At one place I worked a long time ago, we had a T1 tech who I seriously think was functionally illiterate; I honestly felt bad for the poor guy. Not only did he misspell everything, even one-syllable words, his tickets were almost always utterly incoherent punctuation-free word salad. They would literally be stuff like "cu sas cant up and it werk no othr day an can i up no". I had to send half of 'em back to T1 because I couldn't even guess what he was trying to say.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

MJP posted:

I honestly do hope they let me stay on the two weeks. The best thing I could do for Formerjob is to get someone smart hired on quickly and trained up.

There's pretty much zero chance they'll be able to hire anyone within two weeks. Hiring takes a hell of a lot longer than that (outside of entry level/unskilled retail/service jobs, maybe). The whole two week notice thing isn't to find and train a replacement, it's to give you time for documentation and knowledge transfer to your current coworkers (or boss) in between wrapping up any projects you have near completion. A smart company will have adequate staffing to cover things reasonably well for a few months while they hire a replacement; a poor one will just dump your workload on some other random already-overworked schmuck and pat themselves on the back for reducing labor costs.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
You also have to weigh the relatively small risk of an amicably departing employee deliberately sabotaging something against the loss of institutional knowledge that will occur if you walk him out immediately. If he was one guy of a dozen on the same team doing the same work, the impact would be pretty minimal, but if he's the sole SME on several critical systems and you give him the boot without giving him those two weeks to document and share knowledge, that's definitely going to hurt the company.

Really it all comes down to trust. If a company can't trust its employees to behave professionally without the threat of losing their jobs if they do something wrong looming over them, then that company probably has some serious management issues.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Mr. Fix It posted:

I'm less concerned with a short-timer doing something malicious than with them doing something half-assed because they're going to be gone in a couple weeks. You can come in for that period if you like, but I've got nothing for you to do.

It'd be a waste to just have them doing their normal day-to-day during their notice period anyway. Aside from maybe finishing up an ongoing project or something, they really should be spending those last two weeks documenting stuff and training other staff, or other tasks to prepare for their departure.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

spankmeister posted:

there's loop prevention for poo poo like this.

y'all don't have your mailer configured correct

Hell, even the ancient qmail systems I used to work on had out-of-the-box autoresponder and forwarding loop prevention that worked just fine for two-party loops (though we still had the occasional customer who managed to blow up their mail folder by creating some ungodly clusterfuck of autoresponders/forwarders that was complex enough to avoid the loop detection. :v: ).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Haha jesus, I can't imagine what I would do if someone said that to me.

"Sorry, but your inability to accept reality is something you should discuss with your therapist, not with me." :colbert:

• Locked thread