Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

I used to be TheRealLuquado

Billy the Mountain posted:

Hahahaha oh poo poo gently caress hahaha.

In slightly related news the Zenith Infocom BDR monitoring website is completely offline. I now get to check the backups of 25 clients by hand.

I hope that company burns.

Ahem.

http://channelnomics.com/2014/09/02/zenith-infotech-wind-matter-days/

BWAHAHAHAHA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

Entropic posted:

B...but... the Cloud! The Cloud is eternal!

It just started raining.

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

Septic Knothead posted:

I hope the lawyer sat down, looked over the contract and said, "Billy, I think the client will realize that A Mountain Is Something You Don't Wanna gently caress With. We think you're in the clear from a legal standpoint."

Ethel, we're going on vacation.

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

Volmarias posted:

I know this is a little late, but can we touch your boobs instead?

Always.

Btw does anyone know of device less cloud backup service that does bare metal backups and whose cloud storage doesn't cost a ton?

We have all those zenith bdr's [really just windows storage servers] and is love to come up with a way to utilize them in the replacement backup strategy I need to come up with by morning.

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

ConfusedUs posted:

Do you need bare metal imaging, or is System State sufficient?

The Zenith BDR's did bare metal (as well as the Datto units, they do it too). But a new Datto and the associated monitoring and services are going to run each client (and there are over 20 affected) somewhere between 7 and 9 thousand dollars. In order to maintain full continuity between the Death Date (Oct 15) of Zenith Infotech cloud and after that, our clients only have a few weeks to make the decision and actually shell out a lot of csah to do so. Most will not want to or be able to on such short notice.

I got tasked with figuring out a solution.

The BDR's are really just Dell Windows storage servers with big gently caress off raid arrays, and we own all of them. If I could figure out a way to backup the servers to these units using something other than the Zenith flavor of Shadow Protect (whose licensing status is up in the air; no one at Zenith has gotten back to me regarding any of my questions regarding this) and then backup the Storage server to a cloud location, it would be perfect.

I'm looking at CrashPlan, because use of their software to backup is free, and you can freely use it to backup multiple machines on your network to another machine. What you pay for is the cloud storage, but if you want to really stay within the spirit of the solution you need to go with their Enterprise solution which charges by the amount of storage you need, as opposed to their "home" solution which is unlimited storage in the cloud.

But in reality the Home solution is pretty perfect: use their software to backup several servers to the former BDR unit, then pay for one account to back that up to the cloud, $60.00 a year unlimited storage.
I tested it out on my home domain and it backed up my 2008 VM server to my desktop which is running the home solution no questions asked,. After that it was just a matter of showing hidden files and adding the server backup location to my desktop's cloud backup, and away it went. It didn't stop me or question the fact that it was backing up a domain controller to a home group desktop and then onto their cloud.

BUT it doesn't do either System state or bare metal, just file backup, so it isnt quite the full Disaster Recovery solution that the old one was.

Acronis is stupid pricey for their cloud only solution, several thousand a year per server for storage up to a TB.
Evault requires a new unit bought from them, as does Datto.

Im starting my solution proposal write up now...maybe I'll figure something out by the time I come to the Solution portion of the doc. :-)

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

Yeah, thats the route I went.

1: we aren't responsible for Zeniths demise, but we can still look like hero's if we have alternatives at varrying price points avalible immediately to replace the Zenith solution.

2. A#1 reccomended full blowout party fest solution: New Datto and all datto services. 5-8K$ depending on size of client and storage needs

3. Carbonite cloud service. Disaster recovery and backups without a local device. Slower to recover data, no access in case of internet down situation, but safe as hell otherwise. not cheap, but wont suck all yo sweet cash. Gimme da caaaash. Nice hat.

4. You cant afford a Datto or Carbonite System State DR but Need local and cloud file backups still? Ok we can utilize the old bdr with crashplan software and save to their cloud for file storage. But you wont get system state disaster recovery. Much less cash for you to spend.

5. Still to expensive? ok. Ibackup for you, call us when you start caring about life again.

3,4 and 5 are basically temporary solutions until client gets head out of rear end and just gets a loving datto JESUS come on already they are amazing.

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

Zero VGS posted:

Another ticket came in, this one from the company lawyer:

Any recommendations? Sorry I'm leaning on you guys so much but there's a ton of new systems they need installed and I'm the big decision maker now.

Yes, all the laptops were purchased from CDW and shipped with OEM Win 7 Pro.

Look into Anchor file share.

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

8 days and counting until Zenith deletes all BDR cloud backups.

Apparently more than half the clients in the world have yet to be notified.

Since there are no more employees of Zenith Infotech, those clients won't be notified. Apparently they fired all of their support staff worldwide via an email 2 weeks ago.

The owner absconded with over 60 million dollars in cash.

Good times.

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

Volmarias posted:

Hearty agreement. 22 is always bad at all places at all times.

I work on rt 22.

Are we all in central NJ?

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

Seravadon posted:

High five tea all day at work buddy. :11tea::hf::11tea:

A ticket came in: :downs: I got an e-mail with a bunch of misspellings about an "unpaid invoic". I couldn't open the pdf the first time so I tried it three more times. And then sent it off to someone else to try to open. And then kept trying myself. And now my computer won't work!

Sigh.

We got a client who caught that yesterday. 30% of their employees opened it, and none of them deal in any way with invoices.
So many scans...

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

Everyone is out this week. I am the only one left. This is due to poor vacation planning on the part of HR and on the part of an employee quitting.

My Support desk just dumped 127 tickets into my queue this morning. They flipped me 127 tickets all with an expected 1 day response time. There is no way I'm getting through these, especially as new tickets come in and support keeps re-prioritizing my cases for me on the fly.

Just loving kill me.

Billy the Mountain fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Oct 21, 2014

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

Was it in this thread someone recently posted the direct download links for Office 2013? I suddenly have an urgent need for that and never bookmarked it.

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

Many thanks.

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

Entropic posted:

An early contender for "biggest PST file of the year" just came in at 49GB. No, I am not surprised that your Outlook 2010 doesn't want to open any more.

Currently have a lawyer client with a 79 GB pst. Wonders why it takes some time to load outlook.

Speaking of which, gently caress office 2013 in the rear end. Hard. The number of unsolvable unfixable errors this piece of poo poo throws is incredible. Dozens of error numbers that mean nothing and all point to the same Microsoft fixit article that supposedly removes office properly but never resolves the problem.

Only solution we have found is to nuke the machine and reinstall everything from the OS on up.

gently caress Microsoft so hard.

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

Currently dying on the inside as I wait for a machine we did not sell the client to finish upgrading from 8 to 8.1 to 8.1 pro.

Holy poo poo. 5 hours since I started with the factory restore. 1 hour to copy profile data, 127 windows updates. 3.2 GB 8.1 download and install. STILL haven't gotten it up to pro yet. Client should be thanking their lucky stars they ain't on a billable contract.

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

jadeddrifter posted:

Has microsoft fixed the stability problem with PST files being over 2gb?

I dont know if they have specifically addresses this but we have multiple clients with dozens of PST files in the 5 to 10 GB range that dont seem to have problems. Its when the Archive or the OST gets above 20 GB that we see lots of Outlook slowdowns and start getting complaints about "lovely slow computers" and how we " dont know what we are doing" since we cant fix it if the client outright refuses to archive or delete old mails.
We have been on a crusade the last 2 years to remove any links to PST files on Network shares since they so massively gently caress up backup and offsite storage sizes, and move them to local none backed up storage. We had one client who was $1600 a month on overages on offsite storage until we removed the 15 PST files they were connected to on the personal shares. Each time that PST is opened, it acts as a new multi GB file to be backed up, even if nothing is added to it, just simply being opened in outlook changed its properties enough to trigger getting included in the backups.

10 people with 5 GB psts being added to the Backup set every time they opened outlook, sometimes multiple times a day while we are running backups at 6.9.12.3.6 and midnight, all of a sudden you have 50+ GB a DAY getting added to your offsite storage. It was loving crazy.

In short, gently caress PST files.

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

It would seem MS dropped an update last week that kills Surface Pro 3 tablets from seeing any wireless networks. Driver reinstall, update rollback, and system restore all fail to resolve.

Looking at having to refresh and reinstall about 30 of the fuckers at various small clients.

MS quality control is really slipping.

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

Dragyn posted:

My sister-in-law called me about this very same thing two nights ago on hers. Mine updated fine, but hers is completely borked now.

Did everything short of system restore. Uninstalled the driver, reinstalled from the MS firmware package, nothing. Do we have any idea wtf to do about these yet?

e: Just found this, which sounds like it could very well be the issue at hand for her: http://winsupersite.com/surface/manually-switching-wifi-bands-surface-pro-3

double edit: Apparently this just happened too. Free Windows 10 upgrades for 8.1, 8.1 Phone and 7.
http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/21/7866679/windows-10-will-be-a-free-upgrade-for-windows-7-and-8-1-users

You rule.
Was just on several of them and none of them have the BAND option under properties for the Marvall Avastar device. Lookslike firmware updates need to be re-applied.

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

Has anyone seen an issue where Google calendar invites synced to an Outlook calendar screw up printing date ranges of that calendar if the google invite is contained within that date range? My usually excellent Google Foo is failing me.

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

This is my personal hell today. 3 machines at different clients. I suspect Malware but our scanners haven't found anything yet.

Anyone seen this?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

Ok, Datto training guy, if you finish two days of advanced training in a day and a half, it means you're going to f****** fast and no one can follow what the hell you're doing.

Jesus. My brain is melted.

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

gently caress you whatever is causing Explorer 11 to not work at nearly a dozen different clients today,
And gently caress you broken Windows update installer component which wont self repair with DISM.

That is all.

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Tell that to the PCI compliance rule-writers.

Also, anyone get a 4:50pm webroot surprise?

gently caress WebRoot so hard.

We have 2 dozen major clients losing their poo poo about this this morning . Every Line of Business app they reply on was totally hosed by this. We are still dealing with the fall out. Releasing files from Quarantine is not instantaneous, so some are working, some aren't, they are screaming legal ramifications at us, it's a god damned legit nightmare right now over here.

And to think we just migrated to WebRoot after AVG CloudCare completely cut off over half the agents we had in the filed because they decided 2 years ago they were going to take down one of their update servers and not inform any of their loving partners that this was going to happen. Viola- 3000~ AV agents reporting to users that licenses expired and no updates. Solution? Manual uninstall and reinstall on each client. Actual Solution? Migrate to WebRoot.
Than this. Argh.

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

July 3rd.

The day where 90% of our clients are closed, and we are not.

The entire back office is on vacation and unreachable.

4 of us sit here waiting for tickets, and none come in. We are actually having to ...GASP...Document poo poo that has needed to be documented for 6 months.

But we cant get our time documented in the ticketing system as we cant make our own internal tickets for certain billing types (Including internal maintenance). They need approval.

From the back office.

Who aren't here.

woot.

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

SamDabbers posted:

"100% of your time should be billed to a customer" - the boss at every MSP

120%, actually.

:commissar:

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

Let us bow our heads in silence, and think upon those unfortunate enough to be on call today, this wonderful day of American independence.

let us never forget those who have a 15 minute response time SLA, whether they are barbecuing hotdogs, or trying to find relief in their pool.

For it is they, the unsung hero's of the Fourth of July, who will make sure the rear end in a top hat lawyer will be able to VPN into his company network on a vacation day in order to further rape the earth and gently caress the poor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

nielsm posted:

User told me it was low priority, it did not impede work too much.

I refuse to believe your lies.

• Locked thread