Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I've handed out how-to documents with screenshots, and had pretty good success with getting people to read and follow them. Basically, keep the words short & sweet, make the pictures clear, and don't go beyond 2 pages per guide if you can help it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Mo_Steel posted:

It took everything in me not to respond with "Wake it up" or "Try Breathe Right strips." :3:

When one user at a client I was visiting mentioned that her mouse was missing, I advised her to check at home, check her bags, and bring in the cat for questioning.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

MJP posted:

This is a weird one. Only MS Word .doc files - as in .doc, the 97-2003 compatibility version - when double-clicked to open from a network share, any network share, on our 2012 R2 file server will cause the Word splash to come up, and trying to navigate to other network shares on the same server causes Explorer to stop responding. Eventually Word will load the file and functionality returns to normal.

We're a Xendesk environment and all users Xendesktops have their profiles redirected to the same file server. Anything that touches the file server - including their Chrome caches, IE, etc. - will simply freeze until Word loads the file. I get the same issue if I try to open a file and browse through the share on a conventional non-Xendesk PC.

If the users open Word, then go to File -> Open and navigate to the network share, then open the file, it opens without incident.

If the users open one of the files in question successfully - either double-clicking it and waiting or via File -> Open, then retry opening another .doc file via double-clicking, the same situation repeats. It occurs on Xendesks and my normal desktop as well. I'm asking my boss to try opening from a share to see if his Mac is affected and will edit the OP when he gets in to try.

Once the file open attempt is made, the network share will hang until the file is fully open. You can't browse through it, and the Explorer window appears non-responsive.

No other file formats are affected by this issue.

I've already made the GPO changes as recommended here: http://jrs-s.net/2013/04/15/windows-server-2012-slow-networksmbcifs-problem/ I haven't rebooted the file server tonight but have permission to do so.

It's not the files or Xendesk - if I save one of the .doc files in question to my desktop, there are no issues.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Is the preview pane on in Windows Explorer?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Nerdrock posted:

One of the few advantages of our terrible email system (FirstClass) is the user's ability to check the history of a message, including the exact time a recipient opens it or replies.

Wow, that takes me back. FirstClass was used for a few years at my college but was eventually replaced. Does it still have a habit of sending NDRs after somebody has 1,784 items in their mailbox? Oh, and is it still an open relay? For spammers to peddle their crap on the message boards?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

"Hi [user], I've created the needed account and granted the requested access. Could you please test it and verify that you have everything you need, or let me know if you need any further assistance with this request?"

"Thanks!"

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Today is Christopher Walken's birthday. When you talk to people, do so in his voice.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Supeerme posted:

Why don't you ask the Intern what online course/internship he is doing to see if they are legit?

THE TOP OF THIS PAGE posted:

I asked him what hes studying. Hes doing an online course in business analytics.

I ask him if he understands or knows any of the things I have been tasking him with the last week. He does not, but wants to learn (he was very half hearted wit this, you will know why shortly)

I suggested to him the idea of not continuing his internship here, and finding somewhere he can actually apply his knowledge. He says that he doesnt mind and wants to just finish his internship (another 20 days) to get his certificate.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

A ticket came in:

quote:

I wanted to reach out to see what type of security this computer had in European locaitons. I am worried about checking my financial information here due to the fact that the internet services have cookies.

Do we have protection from this with you? If you have more infomration let me know, thanks.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Dick Trauma posted:

She asks you to fix her printer. :smith:

Don't be daft, Jeffrey.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

The MSP I work for is onboarding a new client. Found out on a call today from the engineer that is doing their onboarding, that their old IT provider not only changed all passwords to 15+ character passwords, but also sent over all intel in the form of 40+ pages of screenshots.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Crowley posted:

A computer came in from a student.

What did the student say happened? :10bux: per guess. Winner takes all.

Somebody sat on the top edge of the lid while it was open?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Gilok posted:

"I'm sorry, Arunakrishnan takes too long to type. Your name is Toby now"

"Also, from now on I shall refer to you as 'Peaches'"

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

A ticket came in from a sister SaaS company support rep.

"CPU is again experiencing extremely high levels, this time it it seems like 'System Idle Process' is taking up most of it. Can you please look into this"

I don't even.

Screenshot please!

OwlFancier posted:

Look you just figure out how to make the CPU allocation not add up to 100%. I don't care what you have to do but fix it. While you're at it, my car has these weird wheels on it, the ratio of their circumference to their diameter is 3 and then some other numbers, it should be exactly 3, please fix this ASAP I cannot drive a car with badly designed wheels.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

larchesdanrew, if you're considering moving have you looked at job openings at Blackbaud? They're in Charleston. Tech Support Engineer and Systems Engineer are listed.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I recently :yotj: into a new job. New company has a sister company, their president submitted a ticket. Outlook is very slow to load. He attached a photo:

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Dick Trauma posted:

:gonk:

Also: I hope his PST is 50 gigs.

Yeah, my boss told me that's the deal (actually his OST). He's resistant to change so boss (who is the IT Director) will tell him he needs to get on 2013 with Caching Mode enabled.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Sickening posted:

Jerky takes a perfectly delicious piece of meat and turns it into slightly less delicious piece of meat that takes much longer to expire.

And Hulk Hogan MeatShoes (tm) makes it fun to eat!

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Don't forget to show them the BatConferencing feature!

(Yes, the black handset is upside down)

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

SunTrust Bank lays off IT staff; separation terms include being on-call for two years with no pay:

http://gawker.com/bank-tells-laid-off-employees-to-remain-on-call-for-two-1738077491

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

larchesdanrew posted:

Network problems came in.

One of the offices is complaining that their internet is spotty and slow. Looks like it may be a switch issue, let's just take a look and-

Welp.

Can it survive an etherblast?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Email addresses.

I prefer the firstname.lastname@company.com standard, wilford.cutlery@shsc.com rather than wcutlery@shsc.com - But my current and previous employers worked with the latter.

A ticket came in for a new hire starting mid-next week in a remote office. Because of the unfortunate naming convention, her email address is going to be igay@company.com

Contacting HR now to see if an exception can be granted.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5ndgzXRvWk

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

The amusing part of that is that I saw that strip this morning, since I get Dilbert emailed to me daily (yeah I know Scott Adams is a turd, but I like office humor). Seeing your de facto IT director clip from a newspaper instead of print from an email somehow tickles me.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Che Delilas posted:

I'd just be having a fantasy of mandatory computer training for all users. The most basic, baby's-first training I could think of, because they're illiterate, right? You have to start with the basics. This is a monitor. It shows you pictures. This is a keyboard. It makes letters appear on the monitor (the thing that shows you pictures that we just talked about). It does other things too but that's for the advanced class. Push the A key on the keyboard. Did an A appear on the screen? Good! Push it again. Another A! Now what do you think will happen when you push the B key? Anyone? That's okay, with enough practice you'll be able to answer these types of questions.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Malek posted:

Well there's a mental image I didn't need this morning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpGrndUKtLw

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

A ticket came in: Outlook is crashing

An employee sent out a company-wide email, a newsletter with graphics in it. Shortly after, we started getting calls from all over reporting that Outlook was crashing.

We determined that the message was causing Outlook to crash. I applied Windows & Office (2013) updates to one user's computer, rebooted, same issue.

Had all affected people delete the message either in Outlook (Safe Mode), or OWA, or on their smartphones. Outlook worked normally after that.

Now, to find why it only affected some people and not (for example) me.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Lynxifer posted:

You might want to check out if you've installed KB3097877, apparently this is causing the issue you've outlined

Thanks! Looks like a strong case for the culprit.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

DrBouvenstein posted:

I was then manually patching a different workstation (after denying that update) and after telling it to restart, it hung at the 'preparing to configure widows' screen for almost 20 minutes. Finally rebooted.

On my work machine, I had already applied the update yesterday, and no issues by this morning, but decided to be safe and uninstalled it. Several hours later, my outlook is experiencing random crashes. Windows is telling me it needs to reboot to complete updates, even though it did yesterday. I figure that the update uninstall must need a reboot to finish. I restart, and I've been sitting at the 'preparing to configure windows' screen for almost an hour.

The reissued update has fixed the Outlook crashing issue for me and several other users.

However, I unboxed a brand new laptop today, and after getting all our usual software pushed onto it, ran Windows update and installed nearly everything. It sat at Step 5 of 5, Preparing to configure Windows, Do not turn off your computer for a very long time. I eventually hit the power button and it seemed to turn off, then when I turned it back on it said it had hibernated. I opted to boot fresh instead of recover from hibernate, and ran Windows update again. This time only 42 updates instead of 100ish. And reboot went fine.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Does CE have your cell number?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Just Offscreen posted:

Oh you goddamn know he does.

Tindeck.com is a great place to post those meltdown voicemails ;-)

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

The Nards Pan posted:

If there was ever a time for the triumphant return of Max Headroom.

http://chicagoist.com/2015/11/20/video_remembering_the_very_weird_ma.php

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

neogeo0823 posted:

Gonna just drop this here, cause I think some of you guys might appreciate it.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Boogalo posted:

Random Missouri news station ratings triple for inexplicable reason.

Mississippi :p

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Someone needs to write a script that refreshes this thread every XX seconds, but also plays a sound when new posts are on the page. Especially when userid=77699

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

larchesdanrew posted:

Che Delilas posted:

He's probably in the GM's office trying to get larches fired for insubordination or something. The thought makes me smile so hard.

This happened. This right here.

Story when I get back home

I can't wait!

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Guys, he doesn't care about the paternity test, it doesn't matter to him. He's already said he's determined to love and raise these kids, why does it matter if they resulted from his wrigglers or the other guys?

Because it could affect the outcome of his custody determination?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Feel like I'm missing all sorts of good stuff (Dick Trauma) by sticking to only this thread and not the others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I share a large enough office with my co-worker, I'm guessing it's 12' by 20' roughly. This room is drat hot. It gets like a sauna compared to the rest of the office.

The room has one vent for heat/AC and one return. We had the building maintenance guy close the damper halfway but it didn't help. There is also only one door to this room, and no windows that open.

I'm seriously suggesting a portable AC unit, if we could attach the exhaust to the return pipes. But we'd need one that doesn't require us to manually empty out a bucket of water every so often, and one that isn't really loud.

Any suggestions?

• Locked thread