Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Global Knowledge is a training / cert company so I wouldn't exactly trust their salary figures. FWIW I just passed the ITIL foundation certification. I only took it because it was free at the end of my training and I took the course just so I can speak the language I hear thrown around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

DragonReach posted:

PFE -- been one for about 7 years. I did phone support before that. PFE is definitely better.

PFE = Premier Field Engineer, most of my engagements are for 4 days or less. Some are dedicated and work with 1-4 customers exclusively, and some are a combo between the transactional piece I do and a dedicated customer or two for about half of their time.

We love our SharePoint PFE, been working with us since SP2010 beta and knows all the little nuances of our environment. We buy a couple hundreds hours of his time every year along with our reactive support hours.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler
My favorite post from the old thread is Billy the Mountain's client who killed the power on 2 floors of her building when she tried to change her toner. Can't figure out how to quote it from the old thread and get all the icons so here is the link.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3022717&pagenumber=850&perpage=40#post397229849

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3022717&pagenumber=850&perpage=40#post397231907

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Can we talk about documentation for a sec?

I document everything I do in Evernote or a git repository, depending on what I'm doing. Everyone else I work with is horrible at documenting anything.

What do you document? How thoroughly do you document it? What are most people missing in recording changes that are being made?

I'm the poor schlub who was the last one out the door on the old intranet team. You know the server that is still running classic asp apps that were written on notepad almost 10 years ago. We went from a 5 man team to being laid off or transferred out. I wrote up as much as I could in a Word documents but most of it is just URLs and server names.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

Dick Trauma posted:

I was on a conference call this afternoon and got cut off by Sarah McLachlan blasting out of the speaker. I said that it was like being on an award show when you talk too long and the band starts playing. No one would cop to being the culprit but after a minute or so it stopped.

From two pages back but chiming in to one-up you. Some departments in my company either have Radio Disney or sappy Disney tunes for the on-hold music. Nothing like "zippity-doo-dah" blasting through a conference call.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler
Two things, one annoying and one not:

- Our employee review system has a text editor so you can enter notes when you are self-reviewing or reviewing someone who reports to you. One of the font choices in the text editor, Comic Sans. I mentioned this to some of my fellow managers and said who would actually review themselves with Comic Sans. You guessed it, the guy who got fired last year after not meeting his goals for yet another year. :psyboom:

- The group I :yotj: from in January just got hit with a big layoff. I think it was 10% of their department or about a dozen people. Got out of there by the skin of my teeth and loving the new gig at corporate.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Can't say I am a fan of drinking with work related people, it usually ends badly...

You mean like that one Xmas party that resulted one of the techs dancing to Dancing Queen all by himself then later on getting groped by his manager?

Edit: his manager was a guy, not that there is anything wrong with that except it wasn't consensual

tomapot fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Sep 13, 2013

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

MJP posted:

An offer came in...

:yotj:

Lateral move in position and title, and on-call is one week on one week off, but the salary's a modestly good bump, bonus potential is spelled into the position, it's in NJ so no more train commute (just Garden State Parkway and Route 3 commute :shakefist: ) and no more Soviet-style domination from the engineering people.

I get to work with Server 2012, AWS, Google Apps, and helping scale up a growing logistics business.

Soon as I confirm the benefits aren't awful in terms of cost I am done with this place.

'sup North Jersey buddy. Not sure which direction on Route 3 you are going... who am I kidding, both east and west 3 suck off of the parkway. You either get the Passaic River bridge construction or the Route 46 merge nightmare (soon to be rebuilt also). Best thing that happened to me was starting to work for corporate at the beginning of the year, no more commute on the bus into the city and almost 100% telecommute.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

KillHour posted:

Nope. I just found out it's for a "chain restaurant" so they can make sure their menu videos are playing correctly and switching over for breakfast/lunch.

:downsgun:

Camera talk: I was not personally involved in this project but was around when they were shopping for a solution- Our company has a few of the many electronic billboards on Times Square. We stream our content as well as headlines, commercials, sponsorships, etc. The controls for the camera are uptown in our graphics design office and they needed a way to know if / when the changes they made appeared on the signs. So they contracted with the building across the street to install a camera that they could point at our building, simple enough.

The advertisers who paid for ads on our signs were concerned that perhaps they were not getting what they paid for. I think one of them were walking past and watched the rotation for 20 minutes and it didn't come up. So the sales group wanted IT to capture the feed from the camera 24/7 so that if there were any disputes with advertisers they could go back and have proof that an ad ran. They also wanted a portal that the clients could log into to view the live feed and search the history. When they saw the price tag they realized that it would blow out enough of their profits from the sale that it was not worth it.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler
Hmmm, your custom SharePoint site is running slow for some users. What's that, they are using IE8? Let me file that in the not my problem category. Sorry if your business unit can't get off of older versions of IE and Office, take it up with them.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler
A little late to the degree talk but wanted to chime in. Whenever I feel less-than for my HS diploma and tech school cert I remind myself that 1) I did not sink a ton of money into my education and still landed into a sweet career and 2) that my boss was a theater major and the guy I now manage was a stage magician so who the hell knows about the paths our lives take.

When I YOTJ'd in January I was thrilled that it was out of a dying business unit and over to corporate even if it was a lateral move. This week I found out that I am bonus eligible, which I wasn't in my old job, and I just got a 10% bonus. :toot:

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

Dick Trauma posted:

Ladies and Gentlemen: I have arrived

Might be better than the one I found, I think I heard the rattle of dice through the door.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler
A ticket came in, from my wife. Turns out my 12 year old daughter was browsing some "inappropriate" content on our iPad. I'm probably looking at parental control software at this point since trying to talk a 12 year old into self restraint and good decision making is like talking to a wall.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

Beamed posted:

24 million?

EDIT: gently caress. 3 million. I was way off.

My VP was hiring a new administrative assistant, one of his criteria was to throw out any applications that had an AOL email address.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

blackswordca posted:

I'm out of here at 4:55 as per normal. He can't dump two or three days worth of work on me half way through the day and just demand it done.

Re: A spine came in...

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler
A new tool came in: our company is replacing HP Service Manager with ServiceNow for service management (tickets, release, assets, etc). Can't be worse than Service Mangler, could it ?

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler
Broadcast cable talk: Sorry for the crappy cellphone pic. This is some of the cabling in the basement of the network broadcast facilities. The guy who gave me the tour said that instead of fixing lines they just run new ones. Eventually the weight of all the lines on top of each other crush the bottom ones and then they have to run a new set.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

Entropic posted:

That would just make me super-interested. What do they want with them?

Cold case files?

At our company they could just use their security badge photos. They never update them from the day you are hired, so everyone has a full head of hair and is 20 lbs lighter.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

CitizenKain posted:

Hell, if you have a good relationship with a vendor, give them a call and see if they are hiring. We've had a few people leave our company to work for the company that provides us our core applications, and that was just from talking to them on the phone.

Sorry to hear about your troubles DT. Quoting this because we see people leave our company, which is a great company in the Fortune 100, to work for vendors as well. They'll go work for vendors or consulting firms that we work with, sort of how congressmen go into lobbying firms. Might be a good path for you to check out.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

kensei posted:

On a scale of One to "Oh Dear God No," how badly do I not want to be the SharePoint Administrator?

I know this is from a few pages back, but as a SharePoint service owner I'll say it depends. Is your SharePoint environment a fully funded separate service which is staffed accordingly with admin, dev, dba and support staff? Or was it cobbled together with a few servers you had laying around that started as a POC then became the production environment for 1000s of users? SharePoint done right is a good product and good career option, but if you half-rear end it you get half-rear end results and you want to stay away.

Feel free to PM me if you want to chat.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

Crowley posted:

Way to go blackswordca, and good luck to you too Dick.

Ditto

Crowley posted:

Monday I'm officially working for city hall, for 10% more than my current salary. You shouldn't have told me to be happy with the <1% raise, old boss. :smug:

Congrats to you too! This thread is giving me the warm fuzzies today.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler
An email came in from a cool user so I'll forgive her.
"I know you are not involved in this anymore but I am bothering you anyway."

Turns out it was an Outlook calendar issue which I was never involved in.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

Tailored Sauce posted:

It's raining during rush hour in New Jersey, and I'm stuck on Rt 22 in traffic and at one point I nearly get into an accident.

I used to live in Union, NJ - gently caress Route 22.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

Billy the Mountain posted:

I work on rt 22.

Are we all in central NJ?
Is that your daily commute? My sympathies.

I'm up in Passaic county now, but still have friends down in that area.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler
A ticket came in:
Anyone of you NJ guys interested in doing some side work? I have a small business client (6 computers + server) in West Orange who needs a wireless router setup and a few maintenance items like browser popups. Bonus if you know QuickBooks (gently caress QB) which he says is slow to open. This is a friend and one of my last clients from my consulting business that I can usually take care of on the weekend when he needs help. But I'm going to be out of town and not able to get to him for a few weeks. If you are interested PM me.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

pr0digal posted:

Working in TV is fun. Because the shows get the good budgets, not me.

Tell me about it. Worst part was if some executives gambled on the wrong shows and they tanked. There goes the advertising, there goes the budget, and here come the layoffs. Except the execs, they usually hang on. Ask me about how they ran "Who Wants to be a Millionaire" into the ground.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

totalnewbie posted:

So... how DID they run it into the ground?

Wiki covers it well, but basically ABC had a hit, so they decided to put it on five nights a week. 5 nights a week of Regis Philbin was more than America could handle. When the ratings dropped ABC floundered for a few years trying to find new shows to replace it until they caught lightening in a bottle with Lost and Desperate Housewives.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Who_Wants_to_Be_a_Millionaire_(U.S._game_show)#ABC

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler
Tracking down a SQL error and came up with with the cause...DOOM.

From the KB:
the data provider incorrectly sets a connection to a doomed state if a response is slow

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

spog posted:

The cynic in me notices that they didn't print the card and suggests that it is a passive-aggressive complaint that you didn't solve the problem.

(Actually, 6th graders are more mature than the typcial middle manager who would do this)

They could have scanned it, then emailed it to him.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

pr0digal posted:

Ticket of the month right here for me. Verbatim.

murder researcher posted:

Clicked on a website for a murder I'm research

Murder that happened or murder that she was planning?

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

pr0digal posted:

Murder that happened. I work in TV and she's doing research for a show.

And yeah it's a win overall but she's one of the "special snowflake" users. At least she doesn't refer to herself in the third person like another one does.

That's what I figured. Our News users used to have different internet proxy settings because they'd always be researching icky things that would never get through the regular firewall.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

Sirotan posted:

I'll have you know, my beer cellar is well behaved enough to be left alone all day while I'm at work.

And for the record! This is what I see when I stand up from my cube and look right:

So guys! Relax! I'm not going to die in a fire!!

We are so used to Goon in a Well stories here that Goon in a Fire seems like a natural progression.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler
Funny name chat: came across Richard Weed in our directory. He had (Rich) in the entry, guess he was tired of being called Dick by mistake.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

Migishu posted:

I just tell anyone I meet "I work in consulting"

My mother knows I work in IT but doesn't bug me about things (mostly because I'm half a world away)

I use the line "I manage an enterprise-wide SharePoint service for developing custom applications, solutions and portals". Even IT people stay the gently caress away from me.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

spankmeister posted:

I'm so sorry. :smith:

I know there is a lot of SharePoint hate on here but as long as you throw enough planning, money and people at it it can be a viable solution. It has kept me in a career for many years now.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

duffmensch posted:

It takes some getting used to, but it's ridiculously fun to work from home often (I've been remote since 2010 with no intention of going back into the office). Walking from your bedroom to the office is awesome.

One thing to be aware of is the need to get out of the house once in a while - go for a walk or whatever. Make sure you're not also working absurdly long hours because you lose track of time.

Been full time telecommuting for two years now. One downside is snow days, no excuse to miss work.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

Agrikk posted:

Also, get a known traveler number from TSA. $85 for five years of express lines and minimal TSA hassle is very, very worth it. The first time I breezed through TSA security while all the regular schulbs groused in the long line paid for itself.

Listen to this guy, I'm in and out of EWR (Newark) and MCO (Orlando) every other month. First time I breezed past all the families with their strollers and princess dresses I nearly cheered out loud.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

Sham I Am posted:

We were just notified that we may be required to "teach" office 2010 and 2013 classes to our users. As an alternative, I suggested some kind of computer based training for office which was well received, as long as we had physical DVD's that could be signed out by the user (yeah, really). So does anyone have a good CBT training for MS Office they can suggest so I don't have to spend hours and hours building classes for a group of people that probably don't care to learn in the first place?

Not sure the size of your company but if you have Microsoft Software Assurance they include free training CBTs.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler
I was coming here to post about my grandmother's leg of lamb and Yorkshire puddings in defense of English cooking and got rewarded with a boat load of crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler
A proposition came in....

quote:

Those changes should get pushed shortly. I will intimate you soon as they are pushed

• Locked thread