Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

sfwarlock posted:

Sales in a nutshell: If you don't make the sale, you get blamed. If you make the sale and then engineering fails to fulfill, they get blamed. Always Be Closing.

Downloaded the 30 day trial for Solarwinds' Patch Manager yesterday and had their sales department call me today.

They were actually helpful, asking if I needed help with anything (I did, go to hell certificates), and would I be okay if they had an engineer join the call and solve my issues (I was, and he did), and throughout the call the sales rep let the engineer do all the demoing, asked for a few details of my network, and said he'd send me some quotes along with some discounts they run monthly. We were already leaning towards purchasing a license and this is the kind of sales pitch that helps move that forward. If he had been pushy in any way or had I caught one sniff of bullshit I would have dropped all interest and started looking at other options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

GreenNight posted:

We just got rid of our Novell file and email servers last year.

Ours are still running and will be running at least until next year, and there are no plans to retire the Groupwise server.

I want both to die horrible screaming deaths. Maybe I'll fill the file servers with McAffee binaries.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

Urit posted:

GPOs are just files. The editor is just a viewer for another kind of file that has descriptions and checkboxes and such to generate the file that is the GPO. You need to use the 2012 editor to make 2012 GPOs, because the 2008 editor doesn't have the same underlying structure files that contain the new 2012 options. That's literally it. The same thing happened with 2003 -> 2008 GPOs. See http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa374150%28v=vs.85%29.aspx for what I mean.

This is 100% true, our schema is 2003 but we edit GPO's on 2008 R2 servers so we can use all the GPO settings that come with 2008. None of them are domain controllers either.

That's a project I'll need to take on eventually, retire two of our four DCs completely and replace the other two with 2008 R2 so I can up the schema.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

tjl posted:

Welp, so much for hoping I would dodge any KB2859537 issues. Sounds like we got lucky though, no BSOD's or anything too horrific; just broken apps.

Aww hell. I don't think this one has caused us any issues but it was approved in WSUS :negative:

I've already approved it for uninstall with a deadline of yesterday, but are there any advisories or anything that I can watch that will note when Microsoft releases a bum update like this?

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

A phone call came in...

Approving the updates early for our satellites after years of not updating Windows caused the link at the one site that's still open late in the day to saturate completely. I set BITS throttling a little too high. Whoops!

Now the WSUS server gets to stay off until we have bandwidth restrictions in place.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

WE HAVE A FEW WHO PUT IN TICKETS AND WRITE EMAILS IN ALL CAPS. SOMETIMES I FEEL LIKE RESPONDING AND TELLING THEM TO STOP YELLING AT ME.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

Zero VGS posted:

We have a new CEO and she's frustrated. We're an IT team of two, and as soon as she got in, she wanted to get rid of her desktop, and use new laptop exclusively.

- Our network is Windows XP, she insisted on Windows 7 for the laptop, not a big problem.

- Corporate requires the laptop to be encrypted (Sophos), and at work it has to be on a static IP.

- Corporate's GPO has file synchronization and offline files disabled. Our GPO uses homefolder redirection. In other words if one completely loses LAN connection, files are unavailable. This has never presented a problem before.

- For her to get to her files from home, she has sign in locally to the laptop, then sign into a VPN, then sign into a terminal server. Mercifully I made all three of these the same login/password.

Now, she doesn't like that she has "two desktops", she wants to be able to work offline and not worry about shuttling her files between the laptop and the terminal server desktop. How can I simplify things as much as possible for her? I'd just join the laptop to the domain if it weren't for needing an internet connection and VPN to reach the files. Plus, I've seen on some of our other laptops, that when they can't get a connection they won't always honor the cached credentials and might refuse login through the encryption software.

It will probably be too complex for her (I feel for you, our last CEO barely knew how to use the Verizon icon to get the aircard up before signing in to her email; thankfully all she needed was email) but if you have the VPN account enabled for all users she can log straight into it at the login screen by hitting switch user, then the network icon that pops up next to the shutdown icon in the lower right, and then logging in to the VPN. If there's only one VPN connection it'll choose that automatically so she won't have to choose one to log in to. That will get her her network drives and any other GPO applied to her laptop.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

AlexDeGruven posted:

From everything I've heard through friends that are subjected to their awfulness, it's much worse.

AT&T's tech + Time Warner's Customer Service + Sprint's cellular backhaul = The Frontier Experience (tm), from what I've been able to gather.

I used to have residential DSL through Frontier. Support wasn't... terrible, just typical of a level 1 following-the-script helpdesk. The terrible part came from the service, which would go down all the time. The worst was a few weekends ago when the core router serving a large chunk of rural Pennsylvania died Thursday night and it took them until the next Monday to get it back online. No ETA, and no indication that anything was wrong anywhere unless you called support and asked.

I've since moved and now I get RCN which at least sounds better than Frontier.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

SubjectVerbObject posted:

The problem is that they are a PUC, so if they admit to a problem they could get fined. If it takes to long to fix an issue, they could get fined. So you have a situation where they do not want to admit there is anything wrong (but try it now) and if the world is on fire they want to delay the start time of the incident as soon as possible.

And of course their is the fact that customer service is there to hide the fact that they are not servicing their customers, but that is another rant.

That explains why the start time of the incident always jumped to the morning I called every time I asked about it.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

Just learned that my last workplace let go their VP of finance and now they're missing $19 million in the budget and no one wants to ask the former VP where it is. Compounded with the incompetent yet micromanaging VP of services becoming the acting president with the departure of the current president, and student enrollment at an all time low, the mood there is doom and gloom.

Doesn't help they sent out letters to everyone going "Things are bad. We're doing massive layoffs. Sorry."

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

Moey posted:

That was my original suggestion when the idea came up, but working in the ADUC MMC apparently was voted "over their heads"....

Maybe I'll just whip up something on my own. Make a service account that has delegated password reset rights in their OU. Then populate a dropdown box with all user names in that OU.

It comes with another tool, I forget what its called but its something like Active Directory User Management or something, it's a utility written in powershell (yet comes with a GUI, no command line) that's specifically for people who only need to work with user accounts doing password resets and such without mucking about creating/working with OU's. I'd have more info if I was at work but I never use it since I mostly work with GPOs.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

Nebulis01 posted:

If ADUC is above their heads you should check out Active Directory Administrative Center. It's included in 2008R2 and above, built pretty much for helpdesk or line staff to do simple things in AD.

That's the tool I was talking about, yeah.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

blackswordca posted:

Huh.. weird situation has come up and my google fu is failing me

I have a user who is connecting to a VPN then accessing shared folders on the VPN'd server. When they try to access a network share by a NET USE or NET VIEW command they get an error that access is denied. If you try to manually browse to the address by going \\SERVERIP it says the path doesn't exist. The server pings without a problem. I had the issue originally a few weeks ago and after a couple hours of testing I found the solution. There was a registry key:

HKLM\CurrentControlSet\Control\NetworkProvider\HWOrder with the Provider Order string listed like this: RDPNP,,,,LanmanWorkstation,webclient

I played around with the key a bit, set it to: RDPNP,LanmanWorkstation,webclient and I was able to access shared folders without an issue. Today the customer is having the same issue, check the registry settings and the extra commas are back. I checked the event log and nothing is jumping out at me and the customer claims he hasn't installed any new programs or made any changes. I gave his installed programs a quick look I don't see anything new installed. AV scans have been run and come up clean. Part of the issue is this user is offsite and uses a BYOD notebook for work. This is a different client than I normally support and is standard procedure for them.

Any thoughts at all?

Something is changing the key, maybe the VPN software if there is any. That key is the order of network clients that windows will try to use when accessing network resources, LanmanWorkstation is the windows native client and what's usually used to connect to windows file servers. Try leaving the commas in but putting LanmanWorkstation and webclient in front of them.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

I'd definitely take one.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

That's actually a pretty generous policy. My company does lockouts after 3 attempts, no automatic unlock.

I pushed for no automatic unlock at my org, but the reasoning was if you hit the 6 attempt limit you either a) forgot your password and are going to call our 24/7 helpdesk for a password reset anyway, or b) are trying to break into someone's account in which case why let them try again after half an hour?

I think we went with 30 minute lockout.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

drukqs posted:

:negative: The Windows 7 Pro and Office 2010 keys I have memorized are now either completely out of activations or very low :negative:

Back to my ball-and-chain cheat sheet.

Hopefully some less trivial information can overwrite the licenses in my brain.

Why don't you have KMS set up? Makes licensing almost a complete non-issue and it's easy to set up, though kinda badly documented.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

drukqs posted:

Yeah I'd be setting this up on a 2008R2 server.

I'm confused about which key I'm supposed to enter... I ended the funky command with one of our KMS W7 keys and it threw error code "0xC004F015" some horseshit about needing to install a different version of Windows Server.

This is why I said it was kind of badly documented. You want the "highest" KMS key you have; a Win 7 KMS key will only license Vista/7 installs, while a 2008r2 group C key will license everything below Win8/Server 2012. Doesn't matter what you install it on, you can put a "2008r2 C" KMS key on a Win 7 box and it'll happily be your KMS server. You might have tried putting a KMS client key on it, which are specific keys that just tell the OS to ask the KMS host for a license.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

A while back someone in marketing put in a ticket to have Adobe CS 5.5 purchased and installed on one of their computers; it was already budgeted so no big deal, just has to go through my boss since she does all the purchasing.

About two months go by before marketing starts wondering where their software is, so I poke my boss; "I bought it last month, didn't you read the ticket?" No notification that she updated the ticket, and on a stack of 50 it gets a little difficult to notice a ticket being updated. Whatever, grabbed the software and the key and went installing.

Invalid key. I go through Adobe's chat support and after 20 minutes of terrible scripted answers I find out the key is for Adobe Acrobat 8. Let my boss know, and she says she'll get back to me. In the mean time I set the install to the 30 day trial so they can at least use it.

Another month goes by and the trial expires and marketing is getting antsy so I poke my boss again. "Oh I updated the ticket with the new key." Still no notification, and I know the checkbox to send an email to all asignees on update works, but whatever, let's get the key in.

:newlol: Invalid key :newlol:

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

Helushune posted:

What's up, ancient gigantic ProLiant buddy?

We use ours as a Hyper-V host and pray every day that it doesn't catch fire. The running joke is that Bistromath's size constantly increases every time we mention it. I think it's currently up to 36us.

Say hello to one of our Novell file servers. I pray daily for the day I get to tear it out of our rack and put it out of our misery.

skipdogg posted:

Pfft, that's a G5. I'm pretty sure we have some G3's still around doing things.

So do we! And if I ever need a server for doing something I have more G4's than anyone knows what to do with. Hell we just sent away about 20 for recycling.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

Maybe he wants to search for static assignments to those DNS servehahahahaha no this is just a stupid request he could have done himself.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

Caged posted:

Asus and Acer are a couple of brands that you only ever deal with once, and that time is painful enough that you manage to maintain an incredibly vivid memory of just how much hassle it was so that you never deal with them again.

Samsung are sort of the same for everything more complicated than a TV.

We contract warranty and printer work out to a 3rd party, and a few months back they literally dropped support of Acers due to how bad they were to work with/on. We had Acer laptops but we moved to HP after the completely boneheaded wireless switch on the most recent models we bought were getting hit accidentally and causing no end of support calls from people saying the wireless was down.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

TWBalls posted:

Did they not have a way to disable that in the BIOS? We've been doing that on our Dell Latitude E5510's because the Anesthesiologists keep hitting the switch, then complain they can't connect to the network. This normally isn't a big deal as it's just flipping the switch but this is in an OR, so you have to put on a bunny suit, bouffant cap and face mask just to flip that drat switch.

Didn't seem to be an option for it.

HalloKitty posted:

Oh boy.

I know it's not what you did, and may not be relevant now, but if anyone wonders of a quick and easy way to do this without loving up, AD Tidy is a great program for finding old machines and disabling them.

Or old user accounts. Or, whatever you felt like.

Oh my god I wasted a day doing this manually to a single (large) OU why didn't I know about this before.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

Agrikk posted:

No matter how idiot proof you make something, a bigger idiot will show himself.

My brother, when he was 4, used to count by going "1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 8, 9" and no matter how many times you corrected him he would always forget 7. Did it until he was 5-6. So a 6 year old was smarter than this guy.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

peak debt posted:

Did you forget the 4 ironically?

No it's been a long day and I have a cold :saddowns:

hihifellow fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Oct 2, 2013

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

A ticket came in...

Dumbass posted:

Spellcheck isn't working in Word and the options are greyed out. Please check the Office GPO to see if policy is turning it off.

A ticket was closed...

me posted:

Proofing module wasn't installed. Installed module, spellcheck works.

He doesn't even try to troubleshoot, took all of one Google search to get in depth troubleshooting steps from Microsoft.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

Agrikk posted:

An email came in:

It was my birthday last Thursday and I was out for a few days celebrating. I check my email and I get this from some executive I've never heard of:

I... I don't... I feel so... special... now.

I think he/she just said you deserve to be treated as a special.

What is a special?

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

AlexDeGruven posted:

UAC is a good thing, and software that doesn't comply with it is poo poo and opens you up for a huge number of attack vectors.

There are ways to make poo poo software work within UAC, and your company should be using them.

Speaking of UAC and non-compatible software, UPS Worldship needs admin rights to update and while we could just do this ourselves every time it updates, it updates about 5 times a week and it's a pain in the rear end when it's that often. Anyone have any experience getting it working in Windows 7 without pestering the user for admin rights to update?

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

We already gave the user "everything" rights to the UPS folder, I did find this guide so I'll give that a shot along with seeing what registry keys it's trying to access.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

Rawrbomb posted:

Bad allocation of resources, or thinking IT doesn't matter. At least from what I've seen.

HIM driving the implementation is what saddled us with OnBase and holy god is it a terrible program. If you log in to the computer with anything other than your AD account it just plain will not work, making it hell to use in our one offnet site. It broke under our SSO for the longest time, abuses Adobe Reader for displaying documents, and had to be scripted in order for anyone other than our OnBase admin to even install just the read-only client on computers. The only good things about it is really only HIM has to use it and the read-only client sits in an image without issues.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

Cached Money posted:

Started working on a new contract this week, the hospitals in my region is switching to Win 7 way too late because XP is about to reach the point of not being updated anymore.

In total we have to swap out/reinstall thousands of computers and deal with just about the same amount of users, 80% of which are cranky old women who know nothing re: computers. But it's a job, at least.

This is what I've been working on for the past month, and will be right up to the April EOL for WinXP. A little over 900 systems to do (according to WSUS at least), just over 100 done so far. It's a lot of work but they gave me almost complete autonomy in the network to make it as streamlined as possible; being able to adjust GPO as needed saves a lot of time.

Yesterday was the last of the C-levels getting upgraded, and one of them even thanked me for my work and said they loved using Win7 :unsmith:

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

GreenNight posted:

Yeah I turned that off via GPO.

Did that for my account (along with turning off hidden files), then asked the rest of the IT department if they wanted it too. Figured I'd get a couple people, but instead all but 3 people asked for it, some seconds after I sent the email.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

Trastion posted:

Isn't that the :catdrugs: stuff?

No it's the mountain that nobody climbs because it's not taller than Everest and kills 25% of the people who try to climb it.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

Our pharmacy director sat on a notification to upgrade java for the software that they use to order narcotics until today, the day of the changeover. Now that it's not working, he placed a ticket ("tell Bob we're cutting him off, he needs to go to rehab for that addiction :haw: ") and got our helpdesk to escalate it since they can't order anything until it works.

Guess what upgrade didn't work? Guess who's support line is currently experiencing a high volume of calls and doesn't know when they'll speak to a live person? Guess who's carefully bringing out the worlds smallest violin? :yum:

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

QPZIL posted:

A ticket came in:

What on EARTH does this mean?!

...and lo, he opened the 7th terminal, and there was a great wailing of modems, and the bitrate was lost, and the parity was set to 2.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

Haha, iSeries Navigator. We're running 6.2 or something like it and because we assign display names by PC instead of by user account, I had to install it outside of Program Files on Win7 since it was trying to read/write to the .ws file inside of Program Files. Then I had to put in a symbolic link to fool it into thinking it was still in Program Files because our SSO app was looking for it there :suicide:

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

TWBalls posted:

Would you mind if I ask you some questions on that program? We normally use Extra Personal Client for AS400 access, but corporate office wants us to migrate to this IBM terminal emulator instead. Problem is, all of our users are so used to just hitting the red X to close the program. That's no big deal in EPC, but for some reason, with this program it will close the program but their session continues running on the AS400. Then when they try to re-launch, it throws up an error that their session is already in use. Unfortunately, they didn't bother to give us any kind of training on this so it's been a massive pain in the rear end.

Also, we too use an SSO program that will be expecting to find those .ws files under program files so I'll definitely be interested in that.

Certainly; I'm rarely ever in it but we have two AS400 analysts that I can forward questions to if I can't answer. I think iSeries can vary off sessions if they red X, at least ours does. I'll ask one of the analysts about it. Sessions still get locked occasionally but varying them off wasn't hard; easy enough we pawned it off on our level 1 helpdesk. "wrkcfgsts *dev" lists display sessions, which you can then vary on/off as needed.

For the .ws files I just installed it outside of program files, then put a symbolic link in Program Files with the same name pointing at the install directory. Had a bit of an issue where the one analyst didn't quite grasp what a symlink was ("it's like a shortcut except only the OS really knows it's a shortcut") and tried putting the .ws files back in Program Files and broke it when launching from SSO.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

A ticket came in!

Level 1 Helpdesk posted:

Reset user's Novell password. She is driving and will try this password later.

Driving; the perfect time to get your password reset.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

dennyk posted:

Our sysadmin team already has to babysit our monitoring system from 9AM to midnight seven days a week. Today our boss mentioned that management wants to have someone actively monitoring things 24/7. He's trying to convince them to just hire some drat NOC people already, but I'm not sure they're going to bite, which means it'll probably end up in our laps. There's about ten people on our team, but everyone has different roles and there isn't much overlap, so whatever monitoring hours they stick us with will be in addition to our normal ~45 hours a week of actual work just like they are now, I'm sure, except they'll have to have at least two people doing it every week, so we'll end up on monitoring and have no time off at all for a week almost every month, and have to shift our sleep schedules around all the drat time in the process. :(

I used to do this for a startup and it was the worst goddam thing. Expect people to either jump ship as soon as it starts, or deal with it for a few months to a year or so and then jump ship. It's amazing how miserable a rotating shift can make someone.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

Priss In Plate posted:

Only funny name I know of is Rusty Hammer.

:colbert:

Never worked with scandinavians I see; Monster is a common Swedish surname.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

Angry Swede posted:

No, it isn't. I've never heard of it, and in the search I just did I only found 6 persons, most of which had the same address.
Monster has exactly the same meaning and spelling in both Swedish and English.

Then somehow I must have worked with all six of them when I was doing european/asian support.

Might not have been Sweden, Poland maybe? It was over 6 years ago...

• Locked thread