Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

TWBalls posted:

Pretty much, yes.

Every one. 149.047852 Gibibytes, which is 160.039 Gigabytes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Galler posted:

RAM disk.

e: I'm amazed at how many IT people don't understand the impacts of I/O on everything and will shell out a bunch of cash to get an i7 in every system instead of an i5 but won't replace the 5400 rpm laptop drive with a SSD.

Do people really still intentionally do this?

Where I work, I ordered a stack of Samsung 840 Evo to replace drives in laptops, and as much as possible, any new machines have SSDs.

It should really be the default setup, and companies like Dell should feel bad for not offering reasonably priced SSDs up and down the range.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

sfwarlock posted:

That ticket reminds me of a guy a couple jobs back when all our tools (chat system, remote support, etc) were Windows-based. Long story short, this guy, first thing he does after getting sat down at his new Windows system is bust out a Linux install disc and blow it all away, and then file three tickets asking for the support tools, printer locations, server IPs, etc. Oh, and during the conversation that ensued when I found out about it, he told me he absolutely refused to use or support Outlook.

Him: Oh my God, you like using Outlook. No wonder...
Me: I don't like using it, but I have to support people who do, so it's beneficial to me to ...
Him: Just install Thunderbird, tell them it's the new version of Outlook, and walk away.

Outlook isn't a total chunk of faeces, it has reasons to exist. Wasn't Thunderbird dev abandoned? No, I'm wrong.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jul 17, 2014

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

m.hache posted:

Being able to press the Windows key and type to instantly search your computer is pretty rad. That's my favorite feature thus far in Windows 8.1.

Vista did this from day one, let alone 7. It has literally been a standard part of the Windows interface for 7 years, and if you liked it before Vista, you could always use Launchy (which I did on XP for ages, and I still use it now!).

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Jul 25, 2014

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

monster on a stick posted:

WinKey+(number) does cool things if you have pinned apps.

Does in 7 too, though. Can't believe people didn't know about Win+Tab! That was pretty much the silly hyped feature in Vista, although Vista's angle was a bit sharper if I recall.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

FireSight posted:

Any Vista computer I touched, I had to turn Aero off on because it caused huge performance issues.

I found the exact opposite: with Aero off, even moving a window is painful, as GDI+ operations are no longer hardware accelerated as they were in XP.

Point taken on the fact hardly anyone touched Vista, but every ad they showed had Win+Tab (Aero Flip) in it.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

nitrogen posted:

ok, what is this from? I am stealing this and using it everywhere.

Doing a quick search yields this: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071249/

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Billy the Mountain posted:

That is so hosed up. We own the device. We own the data on the device. Obviously when we canceled service we understood the cloud backups would be nuked, and that we were canceling warranty and service for the device. At no time during the process did a notification pop up indicating the Local backups would be deleted. This is so hosed.

We are so screwed.

Cloud. The Future™

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Lum posted:

Who needs a drip-loop on an exterior cable anyway?

Eek. I'd get out a silicon sealant gun and block that poo poo up thoroughly, that's a nice problem waiting to happen.

gfsincere posted:

Well drat. Well that sucks. I wonder if he ever YOTJ and got up out of his terrible situation.

It was sarcasm. He's Dilbert as gently caress.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Lum posted:

I made them send out another engineer and fix it properly.

Ah, good. Much better than a short term bodge. When my DSL was playing up a while back, I had an OpenReach engineer come, he replaced the entire line to the house from the pole, including installing a master socket. That helped a lot. Especially since the old wiring was Post Office, and had no master socket. The joys!

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

GrumpyDoctor posted:

It completely blows my mind that Windows 8 ships with two entirely different versions of IE.

Yeah, Windows 8 is universally considered a clusterfuck. Although there are things to like about it, nobody can deny it needs a lot of work to make it consistent.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Well, at least you don't have to remember to tell people to avoid them

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Che Delilas posted:

Oh Jesus, all I can think of is lead dust flying around.

None, thanks to RoHS, but plenty of other poo poo that has no business being in your lungs

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Zhiwau posted:

We bought 15 HP laptops with the corresponding HP ultraslim advanced hyperdocks 2000+ not a year ago. So far, 5 of them had the locking mechanism break. A third!

What is going on with HP lately?!

Lately? I thought HP laptops have been poo poo for some time. Maybe that was just the consumer class ones.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Galler posted:

Sounds like the perfect chat system.

I was going to say..

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Arquinsiel posted:

I'm not sure anyone really knows what Alt Gr is supposed to do. It seems to change based on whatever window is active at any given moment for me.

Used heavily on a lot of European keyboard layouts.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Truga posted:

I've been wanting a phone that I can just plug my keyboard/mouse/monitors in and it doubles as a desktop PC.

Motorola did this a while ago, but any of the phones that actually supported Webtop are either really old, or had the feature removed when their Android version was upgraded. It was a separate Ubuntu environment.

You could get a dock exactly like you describe, and there was also a Lapdock, so you could basically dock your phone into a netbook shell.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Lum posted:

This one isn't so bad so long as it's handled reasonably.

My place gives me 25 days off, and has a pretty clear clause in the contract that of those 25 days, the 3 days between xmas and new year MUST be taken due to "operational reasons" basically "the majority of folk would take them off anyway and the company can't function". This is made clear from day 1, is automatically deducted from your holiday entitlement so you never even see it from the system and generally doesn't cause a fuss.

Springing it on people 2 weeks before xmas though, gently caress that, if they'd said it applied as of next year it would've been fine.

I've always found this rather unfair. If the company isn't open, and you can't go in, you shouldn't be made to take holiday.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

GI_Clutch posted:

One of our customers does first five characters of the last name, first initial for their accounts. Poor Elaine Dickman. She's pleaded with the IT staff, but they refuse to change her ID unless her name legally changes.

Now that's much more of a good reason to hate the IT department. Seriously, how much would it hurt to change a username in these minor cases?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

Holy gently caress that's tragic. Those super soakers are hyper rare and stupid powerful. I had one like 20 years ago and now they're on eBay for $300+

Ah, gently caress yeah, that's pure nostalgia, I remember wanting better and better super soakers. A friend of mine actually had this one.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

TIL that VGA to DVI adapters are worth several hundred dollars. And here I'm just using them willy-nilly.

That's very different - a DVI-I port has both the native analogue signal pins (that weird bunch on one side, with the flat large pin) as well as native digital pins. DVI was designed with passive adapters in mind. Try those simple adapters in a DVI-D port which lacks the analogue, and you won't get far.

DisplayPort to VGA always requires some extra circuitry, but yeah, you can still easily buy these (in varying quality, admittedly).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Potato Alley posted:

:catstare:

Is this a media company?

I mean, even if it is, a Mini?

If you want to only shop Apple, what options do they even give you these days?

• Locked thread