Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

I read the old thread and I'm glad to see Midelne is finally in greener pastures -- otherwise I think we would have heard him complaining.

I've got some stories... I don't know where to start...

- There was my racist colleague who turned out to be a pedophile...
- The incompetent network engineer who took 45 minutes to tell me a story about how he got his sneakers...
- The guy who would have random women visit him at work...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

A buddy of mine worked for Best Buy for a month. He ended up being let go because he wouldn't cram Monster cables down the customers throat when they bought a new PC/Monitor combo that had HDMI connections, talk people into opening up credit cards with ridiculous rates, and trying to sell them a Ferrari when they just want a Yugo.

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

Sab669 posted:

This is basically why I hated Staples as well. Push Norton, Word, service plans and everything else with every purchase. If the whole store did really well we'd get an extra $0.50 per hour on our paycheck :haw:

Honestly, the only shop I've seen that doesn't do that is the Microcenter near me. Those guys also get actual commission from sales, so it's in their best interest to have happy customers. The most they try to do is push warranties, which as long as it covers accidental damage on laptops I'm all for getting those. I had my laptop screen shot with an airsoft rifle and Dell replaced it no questions asked.

A lot of these companies also have non-compete clauses, so if you do a little work on the side fixing computers they could technically fire you for it since it's taking business away from Geek$quad. Any employment attorney could poke holes in those contracts, but who can afford that? I turned down an interview for a place in Southern NJ because they wanted me to sign an NDA and non-compete contract prior to even interviewing with them. I laughed at the person I was talking to on the phone and said "No thanks."

DreamingApe posted:

it's not common here, but i've seen a lot more of in the past year.

I think it's the Facebook generation. I have my headshot on my LinkedIn profile, but not on my resume. The first thing I want an employer to see is my experience and accomplishments, what I look like is second. I know a hiring manager who tosses resumes with headshots because of the potential for discrimination cases.

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

DreamingApe posted:

Funny, I just disabled my LinkedIN account because it was just sitting there and aquiring "links" that were just as inactive as I was. The Libraryworld doesn't *do* linkedIN it seems.

I keep mine active because there's someone out there who committed a pretty hilarious DUI that got national coverage who has the same name as me. Given, I'm not a woman, and she's in the Midwest and I'm in PA, I'd rather an employer be able to differentiate between the two.

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

We sent a guy halfway around the world, requiring 3 layovers and 24+ hours of total travel. He forgot to pack a console cable. :smithicide:

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

I went away for the weekend and this thread gained 300+ posts. I can't handle that.

thelightguy posted:

gently caress it, create a subforum for IT bitching so "there's a puppy in my datacenter" can have its own thread.

Link please...

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

Volmarias posted:

T-Mobile is almost this bad. ... "Sorry, I'm afraid I couldn't understand you. Goodbye!" AND DISCONNECTS THE CALL.

Sounds like whenever I would call their OSC/NOC to report a critical incident going on. TMO's first line of defense is absolutely unfuckingbearable to deal with. Yeah, sure, extend the outage to the FCC reportable mark instead of just passing it up the ladder. I didn't cause it, so you guys will be at fault. I've had them hang up on me, curse at me, and flat out refuse to open up a ticket. A guy fell asleep on a call once, too.

I started bypassing them completely and just calling the on call number for who they escalate to when we had them going on. For the record, the T2 folks were pretty drat good.

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

Dillbag posted:

Finally got caught up on the last locked YOSPOS pic thread and couldn't believe this hasn't been posted here yet...

"Fiber cut ... Verizon dispatching technicians ... No ETR"

My mental picture is that on both sides of the connection, there was a multiplexer torn off the wall and a very confused technician.

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

jim truds posted:

A new guy came in. He thinks racist jokes about coworkers are funny. gently caress you new guy.

Did you go to management about this? I think it would strongly depend on your office environment but where I work you would be fired during your first week for doing that poo poo.

Spazz fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Aug 29, 2013

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

jim truds posted:

Yeah, not sure if that alone would get him fired but he is quickly proving to be a bit useless and full of bullshit. He keeps telling stories of how great he is but none of the training seems to be sticking. He also brags about his unreal tournament clan from many years ago. Now that I describe him I've realized he is just :goonsay:

How the hell do people like this pass interviews?

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

Raerlynn posted:

I'd like to hear the opinions of other people, has this ever happened to you? How do you deal with that?

Cut your losses and look for another place to work. It sounds like there's a level of distrust there and you may not be able to gain it back regardless of whether or not you cheated (you didn't).

A friend of mine left a company after they requested he undergo a random drug screening. This wasn't the entire company, or a group of people, just him. When he pissed clean, he resigned a month later after receiving an offer for a better job. He didn't burn a bridge in the exit interview, but his explanation was "the trust is gone".

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

Stupidest thing I've heard all year: Shutting off the office internet at 8PM and turning it back on at 7AM for security. It also may be the CEO's way of telling employees to go home and stop working, but the way the IT guy told me this it sounds like it's not.

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

When I worked in finance they kept e-mails for 7 years and call records for 20. I don't even want to know what the big pharma data retention policies are...

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

orange sky posted:

SCCM can gently caress everything up very fast, very easily.

Well, there was that case over at Emory university when someone accidentally wiped everything.

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

Agrikk posted:

The cloud model is such that you build a mechanism so your application, not your servers, are self healing. For example: Instead of a sturdy web server in a rack with 24/7/365 4-hour support, you deploy two or more load balanced servers and if one gets sideways on you, your auto scaling policy kills it when it fails a health check and redeploys its clone in a minute or two.

Yup, if an EC2 instance misbehaves, take it out back and shoot it in the head and spin up a new one. Netflix developed their Simian Army, and one of the modules randomly kills instances during business hours so if for some reason it doesn't recover they have people available to look into it and determine why. It's a very neat concept.

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

Gilok posted:

Seriously please get more women in IT this place is a sausage fest and I'm tired of my co-workers bitching about women.

Our other teams where I work have women on them, but support is the only one that doesn't seem to be able to find any to work for us. I could understand if they interviewed with us and saw most of us wearing jeans, band T's, and being unshaved could scare people away, but we haven't even gotten resumes.

Now that I think about it, my wall of Taylor Swift Polaroids may scare people away too...

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

GreenNight posted:

She does, but we live in Sun Prairie and that would be a terrible terrible drive. Her degree is in Computer Science. Also speaks fluent Japanese.

If she knows C# and isn't opposed to working with SharePoint, you should PM me. I don't know if we'd hire engineers remotely like that, but for someone who speaks fluent Japanese they may make an exception.

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

KoRMaK posted:

Hahahaha, fuckin sharepoint.

Yeah... it's an interesting product that honestly kind of works when implemented correctly. There's just so many bastardized deployments that give it a bad name. When you install and configure it correctly, it runs pretty well. We do a pretty good job of setting it up right with clients.

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

KoRMaK posted:

It was then that I realized that maybe sharepoint is trying it's hardest, and I should cut it some slack because having dynamic objects that can have arbitrary fields added after compile time requires a bunch of sql calls. There isn't really a way around it.

I'm fairly confident that the engineering team behind the SQL database schema and transactions were high as gently caress, because if you run the SQL profiler and see some of the transactions going on it's ridiculous what they are doing. Right now I have a ticket open with MSFT (and is being transferred from the SP to SQL team) for a deadlock causing document check-ins to be completely discarded, which results in 0KB files and all changes lost.

As for the rest of the product, it's a very functional program. The issue is people who deploy it and call it a day, but don't do any continued maintenance on it like splitting content DBs that get too big, making sure views and queries are configured within the LVT, and putting items into folders in libraries to reduce list view threshold errors. SharePoint isn't a "drop in" product that you can just deploy and leave running, which is why it gets a bad reputation.

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

deimos posted:

Except that's exactly how Microsoft sells it. At least our lovely reps.

Never trust a sales rep.

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

MJP posted:

4) If 3B rears its ugly head and six weeks have passed, actively start looking elsewhere (I always have my updated resume out there just in case Amazon or Google comes knockin', or otherwise)

Start looking now, don't wait six weeks. You don't have to get an offer letter, but at least be in discussion with a few places so you know you have something to fall back on.

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

larchesdanrew posted:

Also, regarding my "goon in a well" nature. You're right, I'm a pushover with absolutely no guts. I need to stop being afraid of displeasing people at my own expense. I need to stand up for myself. If I get fired for it, then gently caress this place.

I used to do the same thing, and I honestly suffered a lot because of it. I became the go-to guy for getting poo poo done at my old job, which meant that I would always be overworked and get stuff dumped on me. I also ate poo poo on an FCC reportable outage when my supervisor let me go home early on a Friday morning, and then blamed an outage on me because the person who was supposed to take over the NOC was too busy loving off. I stopped believing in the "taking one for the team" mentality after having to defend my job to my director as the shitheel supervisor sat there and let it happen.

Today is the day you leave behind your PFY days... become the BOFH.

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

Charlotte, NC is a pretty growing area. My sister just moved down there and it's a pretty neat place. Having said that, North NJ shouldn't have a shortage of tech jobs. There's a lot of places around there, you just have to know how to look.

Monster is a joke these days and has been since that big data breach. It's plagued with nothing but lovely contracts and barely any FTE positions. I don't know about you guys, but my tolerance for risk is too low to take on a contract or contract-to-hire position. At least with FTE I can get unemployment and (possibly) severance.

Take a weekend or an evening to drive through business parks in your preferred area, taking notes of the companies in them. Find their website and find their careers page. Stalk their recruiters on Linked In and get their direct e-mail address. That's how I search for jobs these days because half the time you put your resume in their system it gets discarded anyway, but when you open a direct line with their people it's more likely to get seen by the right people.

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

Jeans and a Metallica shirt. We drank premixed margaritas on Tuesday afternoon. Although, everybody is in :yotj: mode right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

spankmeister posted:

Should I worry about my VPS :ohdear:

Nah, vNucleus is a side project for everybody on the team. We all have day jobs and do most stuff on nights and weekends, but Thalagyrt has a flexible work schedule so he handles stuff during the day. I don't know if I mentioned it in this thread -- I brought it up in the poo poo that pisses you off -- that my day job was bought out by a company that intends on brain raping and liquidating. I just gave notice on Tuesday.

vNucleus isn't going anywhere. Buy more VPS'. :getin:

• Locked thread