Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mewse
May 2, 2006

RFC2324 posted:

I think I am going to log at least 3 hours spent logging time today.

Nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

Kashuno posted:

Just had a member of upper management come in and scream that the webcam they had wasn't working. They plugged the usb cable into an iPhone charger and plugged it in the wall.

Awwww yeah

mewse
May 2, 2006

mewse
May 2, 2006

PII?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Happy new years!! *shoots self in head*

mewse
May 2, 2006

larchesdanrew posted:

I think he stole the chair that's supposed to be in my office cause he has one really great leather executive chair and I've got two really lovely ones.

Sounds like a significantly larger and fancier chair will have to be added to the budget for your office

mewse
May 2, 2006

larchesdanrew posted:

Yeah, I realized what a slippery slope I'm on and went and talked to the guy. He claims he's not upset with me, but that they didn't even ask him if he wanted the job, which he did, and does. I told him that all of that was completely out of my power and has nothing to do with me, but that I just left a job where I had a lot of resentment and hatred for my supervisor and I don't want to be on the other end of that here.

So, we're going to sit down twice a week and get on the same page, he'll update me on IT stuff, and I'll update him on any future plans and ideas for the department. I told him I wouldn't step on his toes, but I'm always willing to help out or take on my share of the IT related work, but IT is his show. He's still going to have to update me and keep me informed before he does stuff, but I'm not interjecting my dumb opinions on fixes unless he asks. I told him someone with a lot of experience and skill needs to be in his position.

Basically, I'm his supervisor whether he likes it or not. This is my department whether he likes it or not. But I'm not going to rub it in his face, and I'm not going to step in and try to run the whole show. This is a two-man operation and it's gonna take both of us to make everything work out.

He seemed pretty ok with it?

Who knows, I've never been a manager before, what do you expect from me, drat.

I think you should sever all ties to this person OP

mewse
May 2, 2006

Renegret posted:

I love this so much.

If that happened at my company, we'd be calling the billing guy and telling him to get his rear end out of bed and onto his laptop to fix it.

Kind reminder that steadfast's website advertises four 9s.

By four 9s they mean 9am for four consecutive days

mewse
May 2, 2006

KillHour posted:

That reminds me. There's a guy at work that pronounces UPS phonetically (as if it's the plural form of the word up). It drives me crazy.

Big ups to that guy

mewse
May 2, 2006

I just went through his images and it seems he received a copyright notice one time and started proving that his computer was hacked by microsoft (which isn't completely wrong since microsoft's telemetry stuff is incredibly intrusive) maybe I am the one who is crazy

mewse
May 2, 2006

Nobody speaks English in Canada, everything we say is translated by our great firewall

mewse
May 2, 2006

fewyn posted:

Yeah Win + Pause break is what I normally use but this specific customer did not have a Windows key on their keyboard. Don't think that started becoming standard on keyboards until the Windows XP era really.

Ctrl-Esc opens the start menu as well, not sure if it would have done that with Win98 tho

mewse
May 2, 2006

I always feel sorry for monitors that light themselves on fire like that

mewse
May 2, 2006

Yeah that was like 10 years ago

mewse
May 2, 2006

My dad was a teacher at my school so I spent a lot of time messing around on the library computers. This was late 90s so Netscape was on there, and it was manually configured to use a proxy server. The proxy blocked 2600.com for "illegal content" so I sent them an email with a screenshot and mentioned I was able to bypass the proxy by changing the settings, but it still seemed dumb. They printed my email with my real name.

I think I got called into the vice principal's office like a month later.

mewse
May 2, 2006

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Whatever it is, I suddenly don't need to use it so badly anymore.

It's a university, I bet it's a requirement for some kinda bureaucratic paperwork

mewse
May 2, 2006

FireSight posted:

I run Wireshark for a bit, and discover that... the AppleTVs are falsely responding to some ARP requests from the router. Somehow, the new update to the AppleTV OS is causing each AppleTV unit to find an Apple computer on the network, and bind itself to it. So long as that computer is on the network, the AppleTV will respond to ARP requests as if it had the address of that computer.

:stare: Apple does some weird poo poo sometimes

mewse
May 2, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsGnqf3CUW8

mewse
May 2, 2006

Cryptowall is a good measuring stick for how competent your IT dept is. If a user catches it and has significant data loss, that's a problem. If a user catches it and trashes the network shares and there are no backups, that's a very large problem. If a user catches it and the IT admin is larche's CE, break out the pencils and paper because technology has failed

mewse
May 2, 2006

quote:

A Kentucky hospital is operating in an internal state of emergency following an attack by cybercriminals on its computer network, Krebs on Security reported. Methodist Hospital, based in Henderson, Kentucky, is the victim of a ransomware attack in which hackers infiltrated its computer network, encrypted files and are now holding the data hostage, Krebs reported Tuesday. The criminals reportedly used new strain of malware known as Locky to encrypt important files. The malware spread from the initial infected machine to the entire internal network and several other systems, the hospital's information systems director, Jamie Reid, told Krebs. The hospital is reportedly considering paying hackers the ransom money of four bitcoins, about $1,600 at the current exchange rate, for the key to unlock the files.

*mental image of CE unplugging and replugging RAID disks*

mewse
May 2, 2006

neogeo0823 posted:

Anyone have any good relatively low-effort office pranks to share? We've got a guy out for the day tomorrow, coming back on Monday, and two other guys and myself are looking to have some fun with him. So far, we've got candidacy for Nick Cage-ing his office, turning it into a pretty princess wonderland with wrapping paper, or trying to bypass his login and mess with his desktop in a non-destructive way. The quicker/less effort the things we can do, the better, because our ops manager isn't in on it and probably wouldn't be for it, and would probably catch us if we take too long.

- Post it note stuck to optical mouse
- Wireless mouse plugged into the back of the computer so you can send phantom wiggles
- Take a screenshot of all their desktop icons, move them all somewhere, and then set the wallpaper to the screenshot
- (kinda related to above) Right click desktop > View > Uncheck "Show Desktop Icons"
- (on HP machines) I think ctrl-alt-shift(?)-arrow keys rotates the display image, put it upside down

mewse
May 2, 2006

FreshFeesh posted:

We just lost a major account due to new client management thinking we were slacking on the job, primarily when it came to new user setup.

I came to the meeting prepared with printouts of all the "new user setup" tickets we've received in the past six weeks that are appropriately summarized as:

08:15 AM – Please create new email address user@name.com
08:25 AM – Done! Let us know if you need anything else

Apparently they expected us to dig through their labyrinthine basement for workstations, install copies of Office (the licenses for which they don't have), and walk the new user through using their computers (all remotely I guess?). Gee, how did we ever miss that with such a descriptive ticket?

I miss the old management :reject:

You're not providing the white glove service that is expected

mewse
May 2, 2006

Varkk posted:

I often run a utility called gwx control panel to shut that crap down.

I love that tool

mewse
May 2, 2006

odiv posted:

Ticket reopened:

This is some reverse CYA where they are notifying you that it's your fault they couldn't do their job yesterday, yesterday being the day where they didn't inform you there was a problem?

mewse
May 2, 2006

GreenNight posted:

I take off my robe and wizard hat.

You again..

mewse
May 2, 2006

Delivery McGee posted:

professional computer animation house

"Professional" production people don't know what the gently caress they are doing and are just trying to meet deadlines. They could've installed UPSes as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSrnXgAmK8k

mewse
May 2, 2006

I didn't call Linus an IT professional for the record.

Watching that video a few months ago gave me flashbacks to my time at a visual effects shop when the licensing server poo poo the bed and my boss spent 24 hours rebuilding it from scratch. Redundancy is for corporate suits

mewse
May 2, 2006

pixaal posted:

Last night Colorfinger was singing for the internet and his wife dAPER sung this for us.
twitch vod of the song

Awesome

mewse
May 2, 2006

The Macaroni posted:

Back when I pulled that poo poo in high school, the computer guy chose to take me under his wing instead of getting me into a bunch of trouble that I probably deserved. Result: he had more positive impact on the trajectory of my life than most of my teachers. I would be in a very different place now (literally and figuratively) if he'd just let me drop.

Yeah I'd like to think any of us would try to support a kid that was demonstrating genuine curiousity for our trade even if they did cause a bit of mischief. I remember an IT guy in high school offered to lend me a CDROM drive if I couldn't get Linux working on my 486. I had some Sony interface clone sound card that worked with DOS/Windows but not Linux

mewse
May 2, 2006

Don't you have to layeth with a woman to get the pox

mewse
May 2, 2006

What the gently caress does that mean?

mewse
May 2, 2006

spog posted:

Looks like somebody's got a case of the mondays

mewse
May 2, 2006

When I visited montreal in december our go-to spot was trois bresseures, they had great microbrew and decent poutine

mewse
May 2, 2006

ratbert90 posted:

Oh god I thought I was posting in the "Idiots on Social media thread". I too am now the idiot on social media. :negative:

Thank you for your service

mewse
May 2, 2006

Stop it you tease

mewse
May 2, 2006

odiv posted:

User calls up unable to access some stuff she needs "to do her job." I let her know I'll look into it and get back to her. Okay, she's not in the proper groups. Chances are either she never had access or she was removed. Either way, I can direct her to someone to talk to.

It's been an hour and I can find the original requests to have her added, but I can't find poo poo about the removal. We happen to have a test server running with data from last year and she's got access back then, but she doesn't now.

How the gently caress did we take this user out of two groups without any loving documentation? I don't see a ticket, an email, nothing. No one remembers poo poo either. I'd rather not go to the Finance director and be like, "Oh hey, did anyone in your dept happen to request this change? Because we have no idea what the gently caress we're doing, apparently. If not I guess we'll just give her access again? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯"

Sorry, just needed to rant there.

We run into this a lot at my work as well, isn't there some sort of windows domain security auditing that can list who did what at what time?

mewse
May 2, 2006

I just got the joke like 10 hours later :negative:

mewse
May 2, 2006

larchesdanrew posted:

Then he held his hand out expectantly, so I gingerly placed my self-appraisal in his waiting palm.

"That's for shaking"

Oh.

Interesting variation on the White Guy Hand Shake

mewse
May 2, 2006

larchesdanrew posted:

PS. Fun fact! This story is actually tangentially related to why weather girl and I broke up! Try to make that connection.

She didn't like you waving your dick around in the station?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

Daylen Drazzi posted:

The old saying "Don't piss on my back and try to tell me it's rain" seems strangely appropriate.

http://dendycrew.com/track/dont-piss-on-my-head

• Locked thread