Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Beamed posted:

How is this possible? How do people reply-all every single time? It baffles me.

I honestly don't know. I've seen them around the internet and think "wow, no one is that dumb." Then it just happened out of the blue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

dennyk posted:

I do this all the time, since there are quite a few people out there who think my gmail address is theirs. I think my favorite was when someone added me to some church group's email list and started sending me emails demanding that I come to their meetings and play the guitar. When I replied and said "I'm not the person you are trying to contact, please remove me from this list," their only response was "Yes, you are the person I am trying to contact..." :downs:

There's also some real estate lawyer's paralegal who keeps sending me some poor guy's legal documents and asking why he isn't getting back to him about them; I've replied every time telling him that I'm not that guy and to please stop sending me his confidential legal paperwork and every time the paralegal gets all huffy and replies "Well this is the email the real estate agent gave me!" and continues to send me more documents. :cripes:

I've also tried getting my email address off some lady's Citibank account, but trying to explain to a Citibank phone rep that someone who is not you has used your email address on their credit card account and no, you can't log into "your" account to change the email address because it isn't your account is like trying to teach calculus to a goldfish. So apparently I'm doomed to continue getting this random woman's monthly credit card statements forever. (She's not been doing so well paying more than the minimum on her huge balance the last couple months; if I only knew her actual contact info I'd send her a link to BFC... :v: )

Don't post your actual email address but what is it that makes everyone think it is theirs?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I have the opposite problem. My email is FirstMLast@gmail. The problem is my middle name and last name both start with H. So I write it down or tell someone and they leave out the second H. So some other guy out there with my name gets some of my emails. So now I just have to say "two H's."

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think that was a big point in that Donald Trump firing fantasy show. One group made up a bunch of promotional materials for some thing they were doing and didn't even bother checking to see the domain they wanted to use was already taken.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Zemyla posted:

Tell them it's First.M.Last@gmail. Gmail ignores dots in its e-mail addresses entirely.

I forgot about that, thanks.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It gets annoying when a website refuses to let you use an email address with a + in it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Wow, I'm surprised you didn't have parents calling in to complain that other students were able to do other assignments and raise their grades simply because they had a computer. In 8th grade we had to do some sort of pressed leaf poster for biology and the teacher wasn't allowed to give five points extra credit for laminating it because some kid's dumb mom called to complain about paying for grades.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

What's interesting is that it could actually be a reasonable protocol in Canada or other areas where you have expensive bandwidth caps.

Just attach a 128GB flash drive to a bird. How long does it take a bird to fly somewhere, a few hours? I can't download that much data that fast.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
On the router you can set it so the printer always receives the same IP via dhcp. You don't have to mess with the printer.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

bitterandtwisted posted:

This would probably cause as much annoyance as it solves. Our routers pick up their settings from a template during a hard reset, but sometimes refuse to take it and go to factory settings instead. We then have to set them manually, but short term the users can connect with the default SSID and still print because the settings are on the printer.

You could do both maybe. Have the printer give itself an IP but also set up static DHCP on the router. Then if the router messes up, the printer still has its IP. If the printer messes up and goes to default settings, the router will give it the right IP.

Also, if you regularly have to hard reset a router, you need a new router. If it's a consumer router, maybe you'll have to reboot it every once in a while. If it's an enterprise router it should run perfectly for all time.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Sep 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Ahdinko posted:

But surely a hard drive carrying that kind of data is locked down tighter than a ducks arse anyway, so data couldn't have been written/read outside of the fancy secure network?

Haha, this is really hilarious. Good joke.

• Locked thread