Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
Hey kids it's time to play the loving Talksport Predictor Game!

This year I am going to offer a Prize to the winner of the TYK mini-league. Upon securing first place this year, you may select one of the following options:
-$20 SA Forums Gift Certificate
-$15 Gift Certificate, and choose a new avatar/text for Popehoist
-Select a thread of your choosing and ban Popehoist from posting in it for the entire 2014 off-season

If you know what you are doing then go log-in and use code FC7CF-OPC to enter the TYK mini-league. Otherwise:

The predictor game is pretty loving simple really, once you've registered you just put in what you think the score of every EPL game will be.

The scoring system is essentially 10 points for the correct outcome, 15 points for the correct goal difference, 20 points for accurately predicting a draw, and 30 points if the score is identical to what you entered. You lose 10 points if you get it wrong.

You can play your "banker" chip on any result you feel really confident about, which will triple your score (or only double it if the fixture involves a top 4 team). Be careful though, banking on a failed prediction could turn your -10 points into -30 points! Generally you should put your bankers on Man U every week, except for when they play Everton (probably not true anymore this season).

The insurance chip ensures the lowest you can get for a game is 0 points, making it essentially a freebie. Put it on any result you feel reaaallly unsure about, which is usually some tepid loving garbage like sunderland VS norwich where the only good result is a meteor strike wiping out the stadium.

Let me cover some questions that are likely to be asked:

Why are we using talksport, this other predictor game is way better blah blah blah - We used talksport last year and I, as well as plenty of other goons, already have an account and poo poo set up on it. It's also IMO the cleanest, nicest predictor game without a bunch of horrid flash bullshit or awkward score inputs like some others (last year a goon suggested a predictor site with drop-down menus for predictions jesus christ). Also, talksport are now offering a £1m prize for correctly predicting 10 games, which is probably better odds than winning the lottery, so this should shut up some of you guys who wanted to use sky sports' one for the cash prizes.

Will there be a Lawro this year?- Up to you guys, I sure as gently caress don't feel like transcribing Lawro's predictions into the prediction game every week. But to make things interesting, if someone does add a Lawro bot to the mini-league, I, the Original Poster, will gift a $5 SA voucher to everyone who finishes above it (maximum 5 people, excluding first place winner).

Can I be really funny and just put down a 2-1 home result for every game because statistics and probability blah blah- Yeah sure but gently caress you Tsaedje and you lose all entitlement to prizes if you don't play with the spirit of the game in mind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

I assume I've still got Lawros account from last year, so I can put his predictions in. If I remember. Fridays tend to be a bit frigging busy for me, so if anyone else is better placed to do it, feel free to shout.

e; if Lawro wins a million loving quid, I'm not giving it to him.

Pipski fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Aug 13, 2013

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

Pipski posted:

I assume I've still got Lawros account from last year, so I can put his predictions in. If I remember. Fridays tend to be a bit frigging busy for me, so if anyone else is better placed to do it, feel free to shout.

e; if Lawro wins a million loving quid, I'm not giving it to him.

You aren't eligible to win the prize unless you put down your address and a bunch of other contact details, so I would do that on the Lawro account if I were you (it will be really funny if lawro gets 10 correct predictions because there are probably quite a lot of lawro bot accounts)

DJ Ramshackle
Nov 26, 2009

Not really a DJ

not quite a ramshackle
Can't wait to get every prediction wrong and finish below Lawro

Simonh
May 27, 2004
Nice, already got my predictions for Week 1 filled out.

Seems you can't put the insurance and banker chips on the same match anymore.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

Simonh posted:

Nice, already got my predictions for Week 1 filled out.

Seems you can't put the insurance and banker chips on the same match anymore.

It was a really abusable tactic tbf.

TheGoatFeeder
Mar 16, 2005

"One Zaba, Two Zaba, Three Zabaleta, Four Zaba, Five Zaba, Six Zabaleta, Seven Zaba, Eight Zaba, Nine Zabaleta, Heeeeeeeeeey Zabaleta"
In again, finished 2nd last year after blowing it in the final week, determined to go one better this time :colbert:

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

welp I'm in lets see how this goes

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Doing my stupid gimmick again this year, 2-1 home win in every fixture. Lightning won't strike twice for Lawro

DJ Ramshackle
Nov 26, 2009

Not really a DJ

not quite a ramshackle
The first Lawro predictions of the season:

Liverpool v Stoke
1-0

Arsenal v Aston Villa
2-0

Norwich v Everton
2-1

Sunderland v Fulham
1-1

West Brom v Southampton
2-1

West Ham v Cardiff
2-0

Swansea v Man Utd
1-1

Crystal Palace v Tottenham
1-2

Chelsea v Hull City
2-0

Man City v Newcastle
2-0

Mock or worship, your choice.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I see Lawro still hasn't discovered the "3" key on his keyboard.

AVBrafaDiMatteo
Nov 30, 2009
Bad ads nab top cop. Also, The Project Pt. II.

When all else fails, cash in your Ruples for new foreign myths.
I'm back in on this, I can't do any worse than last year. Here are my predictions, feel free to mock them:

Home Team Prediction Away Team

Liverpool 1 : 1 Stoke City
poo poo

Arsenal 2 : 1 Aston Villa
2:1 Special

Norwich 1 : 2 Everton
2:1 Special

Sunderland 1 : 0 Fulham
Fulham are meh

West Brom 2 : 0 Southampton
Because

West Ham 1 : 1 Cardiff
Clueless on this one

Swansea 2 : 2 Man Utd
SAFETY...I actually think (and bet real money) on this being a 1:1 or 2:2 draw, but I have a feeling it's going to be 1-3

Crystal Palace 1 : 2 Tottenham
AVB will deliver the win but Spurs will leak a sloppy goal

Chelsea 3 : 0 Hull
Momentum, early season game at the Bridge....every CFC season lately starts off as a goalfest

Man City 2 : 0 Newcastle
Clean win but will not be as convincing as they've been before

Chelsea 4 : 1 Aston Villa
Chelsea loves to beat up on the Villians almost as much as Wigan (RIP Wigan, you were my favorite)

So far Arsenal is looking promising for a 2:1, but the other 3 games need to step it up a bit and get it together. I'm off to put down my first official punts at Ladbrokes, I'll let you know how much I lose tomorrow.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

:staredog:

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
I'm at +70

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
Damnit I forgot about this. I'm in.

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

+75 with 3-0 to city and 3-2 to chelsea

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

me when The Club do another win

Top of the league! (it won't last)

DJ Ramshackle
Nov 26, 2009

Not really a DJ

not quite a ramshackle
Can't get on the site just now to see how badly I did, so here's a look ahead.

5 results and 3 perfect scores for Lawro last week, let's see what his top tips are this week.

Also he went for 2-0 Chelsea in the Villa Game.

Fulham v Arsenal
1-1

Everton v West Brom
2-1

Hull v Norwich
1-1

Newcastle v West Ham
2-1

Southampton v Sunderland
2-0

Stoke v Crystal Palace
2-0

Aston Villa v Liverpool
1-2

Cardiff v Man City
0-2

Tottenham v Swansea
2-0

Man Utd v Chelsea
1-1

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Forgot to join the league, in now at #3 with +120 :smuggo:

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

sebzilla posted:

Forgot to join the league, in now at #3 with +120 :smuggo:

Can you join after this has all started? I had the Chelsea - Villa game right and doubled or w/e, I haven't checked my score in a bit but I should be right around you and I'd love to go head to head with some TRP bros

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

tbp posted:

Can you join after this has all started? I had the Chelsea - Villa game right and doubled or w/e, I haven't checked my score in a bit but I should be right around you and I'd love to go head to head with some TRP bros

Yep, just enter the code on the mini-leagues tab or whatever.

FC7CF-OPC

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

belgend posted:

Top of the league! (it won't last)

Well, gently caress

e: -10s all across the board. gently caress me

belgend fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Aug 24, 2013

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

mind the gap lads

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

How do I join the league again like where do i put that code in the op

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

http://predictor.talksport.com/minileagues/home.htm

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

Modus Trollens posted:

mind the gap lads

I see watching my predictions has brought you to the top. I've taught you well, but I want that top spot again.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

thanks

city loving killed me this week

DJ Ramshackle
Nov 26, 2009

Not really a DJ

not quite a ramshackle
Slighty late but here's your Lawro update.

Last week saw Lawro get four results right but no correct scores. His tips for this week:

Man City v Hull
3-0

Cardiff v Everton
1-1

Newcastle v Fulham
2-1

Norwich v Southampton
2-0

West Ham v Stoke
2-1

Crystal Palace v Sunderland
1-0

Liverpool v Man Utd
1-1

West Brom v Swansea
2-0

Arsenal v Tottenham
2-1

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Ha I totally forgot to predict the scores this week, what happens to my precious points?

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

sebzilla posted:

Ha I totally forgot to predict the scores this week, what happens to my precious points?

You just get 0 for this week iirc.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

belgend posted:

You just get 0 for this week iirc.

Ah, not bad. Annoying though, I was doing reasonably well.

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

scores haven't come through but pretty sure I'm negative on the week

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

Modus Trollens posted:

scores haven't come through but pretty sure I'm negative on the week

I'm positive that I'm positive, I'm taking you down

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

belgend posted:

I'm positive that I'm positive, I'm taking you down

its a marathon not a sprint mate

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

Modus Trollens posted:

its a marathon not a sprint mate

Actually it's a 1500m race and I want to be in front of you before the bend.

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

belgend posted:

Actually it's a 1500m race and I want to be in front of you before the bend.

the bend is xmas fixtures it always gets wonky around then imo

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

There's the gap.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

Check out my super cool loving predictions

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

How the gently caress do you not see City - Hull and go "I'm putting all of my money on this".

Like West Brom winning is pretty much the worst place to put that banker coin on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVBrafaDiMatteo
Nov 30, 2009
Bad ads nab top cop. Also, The Project Pt. II.

When all else fails, cash in your Ruples for new foreign myths.

It's been a dodgy start, and of course the week I forget to put in scores (which would have all been 2-1 except for Chelski and City) I would have maybe been back in black.

That 2x and 3x multiplier is mighty tempting to those of us negative players man. Not to mention that if we'd gone "Oh gently caress City - Cardiff putting all my money on this poo poo :smugbert:" we'd all be so, so wrong.

Quite bitching about our lovely picks, parade yours around or something, it's not very entertaining.

• Locked thread