Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I almost wish you just turned into the skid of absurdity and just started calling them Space Barines and Elfar or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Space Dorks.

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

Fix posted:

Space Dorks.

Isn't everyone a space dork in Warhammer?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Germ posted:

Indeed!

I'm telling you, one of the biggest pains with the Kickstarter has been trying to find ways to say "THIS STUFF IS FOR WARHAMMER 40,000!!!" without saying it outright. gently caress it, I'm saying it. THIS STUFF IS FOR WARHAMMER 40,000!!!

(Warhammer 40,000 is copyright Games Workshop and is used here without permission)

Do what everyone else does use GW models in pictures with the wreckage "for scale" and be sure to attribute GW as the creator of the model.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

FYI, in case anyone else was like me and backed The Doom That Came to Atlantic City through paypal instead of kickstarter, I just got a refund from Erik. So if you are in that same boat, you may want to reach out to him.

Now I can redirect that money to buying it from Cryptozoic! :)

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Good to hear that he is making some attempt to fulfill his promise to refund people, which I felt was likely (he doesn't read to me like someone who deliberately set out to defraud, only someone who should never, ever be trusted to run a boardgame company) but couldn't be sure of.

I was alerted today that Dan Verssen (of Dan Verssen Games), who is responsible for a number of reputedly excellent solitaire boardgames like Phantom Leader, Hornet Leader, Rise of the Zombies, etc, is currently kickstarting a new game called Cards of Cthulhu:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dvgames/the-cards-of-cthulhu

Some pretty awesome art and a few interesting game ideas for $30, which will come with a poster, and as of the $20k stretch goal, an artbook.

Gasperkun
Oct 11, 2012
Red Aegis hit the stretch goal for a Dungeon World hack. So now you get Pathfinder, Fate Core, 13th Age, and Dungeon World. Hitting the same amount also made the book full color. It has a little over a day left. I'm still a bit hesitant on the price for it, since I've overspent on other things, so I haven't pledged yet but it gets more tempting.

Rosemont Bay has 3 days left. By the same guy who brought you Princess Drive from the ADX project, this one mashes up supernatural stuff with drama/soap opera stuff in the vein of Dark Shadows as the most obvious reference but a lot of other TV shows too. It uses Cortex Plus Drama, which was what Smallville used (though most people playing it hacked the setting). If it can make some more cash the Companion will start happening and all sorts of juiciness will be included.

Deck of Legends is approaching the stretch goal to make the art Creative Commons, at $7500. If the project can reach $15,000, you'll start seeing 13th Age adventures courtesy of a goon! This one has 2 weeks left.

Dragonheim is a small project that has met goal but is working on stretch goals. I can't tell if it's classless fantasy but the thing about it is that it uses 2d20 for your actions and lets you tweak how you roll them to do different things in combat. It also uses a feat-like mechanic but has tweaked it too, according to the updates. There's some interesting hints of stuff for it but it's pure PDF at this point - print books don't come in until stretch goals, if it can meet them in 21 days.

Gasperkun fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Aug 23, 2013

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Wrath of Kings
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/coolminiornot/wrath-of-kings

A new fantasy skirmish game with a heavy eastern bent. The rules look pretty fun, the models (except for the tech faction) are gorgeous and you can get a starting faction for pretty cheap. Currently has 5 factions, each one specializing in a different area. I won't post everything here and clog up the space.

I think I will really like this one, ill just have to find someone to play it with :(

They look to be heading to at least 250k which gives quiet a lot for your pledge.

The fiction is pretty decent as well and gives quiet a good look into the lives and motivations for the various factions.

I'm not affiliated with them in any way.
I also came to post about Red Aegis but was beaten to it.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
I posted a pretty important update to Inverse World, just now. It concerns upgrading your backer tier or backing at all, if you hadn't already. I hear some people are pretty interested in that kind of thing.

Also I fully endorse Grim World, it is worth picking up entirely for the Channeler, Shaman, and Battlemaster. The Death Moves being rad as hell is also a bonus.

gnome7 fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Aug 23, 2013

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

-hella- tempted sir. Now I just need to wait until next month so I can have some more money :p

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Excelsiortothemax posted:

Wrath of Kings
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/coolminiornot/wrath-of-kings

A new fantasy skirmish game with a heavy eastern bent. The rules look pretty fun, the models (except for the tech faction) are gorgeous and you can get a starting faction for pretty cheap. Currently has 5 factions, each one specializing in a different area. I won't post everything here and clog up the space.

I think I will really like this one, ill just have to find someone to play it with :(

They look to be heading to at least 250k which gives quiet a lot for your pledge.

The fiction is pretty decent as well and gives quiet a good look into the lives and motivations for the various factions.

I'm not affiliated with them in any way.
I also came to post about Red Aegis but was beaten to it.

Ah yes, the nekkid wimmin minis kickstarter. It's what got the last thread closed.

Majin
Apr 15, 2003

I'm still in for all 5 factions. Painting a nipple or twenty won't kill me.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

gnome7 posted:

Also I fully endorse Grim World, it is worth picking up entirely for the Channeler, Shaman, and Battlemind. The Death Moves being rad as hell is also a bonus.

Really doubt I'll ever play it, but pledged on this one because I really like that variety of weird fantasy.

Elmo Oxygen
Jun 11, 2007

Kazuo Misaki Superfan #3

Don't make me lift my knee, young man.
I was going to back Grim World, but $50 for a physical copy? Come on.

Danoss
Mar 8, 2011

gnome7 posted:

I posted a pretty important update to Inverse World, just now. It concerns upgrading your backer tier or backing at all, if you hadn't already. I hear some people are pretty interested in that kind of thing.

Goddamn, you're awesome for doing this. For the past few days I've been tossing up (being maybe the umpteenth person) asking if it was still possible to give you guys money for a copy. Now I don't have to.

I nabbed a personal tier so you guys can write rad things in my book. Thanks again!

gnome7 posted:

Also I fully endorse Grim World, it is worth picking up entirely for the Channeler, Shaman, and Battlemind. The Death Moves being rad as hell is also a bonus.

I hope they're taking some of your advice and such on board to make Grim World as cool as it can be. I kinda wish it was digest sized to fit with the rest of my Dungeon World stuff, but I guess the big art they seem to be going for might have less impact than desired if they do.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

not too simple and not too kind
Fallen Rib

Elmo Oxygen posted:

I was going to back Grim World, but $50 for a physical copy? Come on.

Yeah, overpricing the physical copy is a good way to get me to back at the cheapest possible PDF level. The way it's structured now, going from the $15 entry-level to the $25 gets me a wallpaper image and credit in the book, which is awful thin for :tenbux:

Tier structures for Kickstarters are a fascinating thing to me -- as discussed back when it was running the tiers for the CoC 7th KS were pretty janky, and of course Traveller's 'PDF on a DVD mailed to you, what is this Internet you speak of' tier was a thing that happened.

Red Aegis, as another point of comparison, makes it *really hard* to figure out that it's even possible to get the Player's guide as a physical book/hardcover -- the tiers go up, you see the physical copy of the corebook pop up (at $75), but the player's guide is still only a PDF. Buried way down in the main description, not in the tiers where it'd be useful, is mention of a $15 softcover-only Player's Guide.

Without a trusted name at the helm or a really compelling hook (and while it's a neat wrinkle, predefined ten sessions at one-character-per-session isn't compelling enough for these purposes), I can't see myself shelling out $90 for one hardcover and one softcover. I shelled out $60 for Chuubo's in physical form, but that's Jenna Moran. These dudes are not Jenna Moran.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
At this point, the only thing that'll get me to back for a physical book is a name I'm already familiar with and want to give money to. Otherwise, I'll take the PDF and get it run off at a print shop if I decide I want a hardcopy.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

not too simple and not too kind
Fallen Rib
I feel like if I do that, it's gonna look shittier and not cost a whole lot less, especially for a hardcover, since I don't do my own binding. PDFs are a pain in the rear end to deal with on a tablet, and not enough people provide EPUB or MOBI versions of rulebooks -- Dungeon World and Better Angels are notable exceptions, hat tip to them. I'd love ebook versions of my other kickstarted RPGs -- Ehdrigohr, Tenra Bansho Zero, Golden Sky Stories, Last Stand, Durance -- because they're so much easier to navigate on a device.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

jonthegm posted:

Jeff Siadek of Lifeboat fame has a second boardgame KS up: Monster Derby! Control the racers in a destruction derby style race while forwarding your secret agenda!

Haven't played it, but I love Lifeboat so much that I want him to keep making games.

I want to sabotage this somehow because not only is Lifeboat my least favorite game but I hate it so much I bought a copy (used) just to rip it up and destroy it at a recent board game night. It is just an incredibly poorly designed game. Ugh, urge to kill RISING

Thedandmom
Jul 5, 2013
A card game is currently being developed for Deck of Legends. I've snuck the stretch goal for it between the Creative Commons and the Poker deck at $8000.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/thedandmom/deck-of-legends/posts/578354

Thedandmom fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Aug 23, 2013

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Thedandmom posted:

A card game is currently being developed for Deck of Legends. I've snuck the stretch goal for it between the Creative Commons and the Poker deck at $8000.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/thedandmom/deck-of-legends/posts/578354

Very excited for this. Can't wait for it to come out!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

JadePunk is a Face Core wuxia/western. You can get access to the playtest docs as soon as you pledge (they're in the first update).

quote:

Jadepunk is a roleplaying game that takes place in a fictional, Hong Kong inspired city, called Kausao City, where mystical jade is refined and used in mechanical devices to create steampunk-like “Jadetech”.

Players in Jadepunk will take control of members of the jianghu and assist in that society’s endeavors to overthrow the Jade Shogun and bring peace to Kausao City. The archetypes they can play are varied, from gunslingers wielding highly-volatile red jade six-shooters to warrior monks wielding powerful martial arts, to Jadetech engineers
inventing the latest in Jadetech theoretical applications.

The idea behind jadetech is that the various colors of jade all have "powers" that can be channeled by devices. Green jade makes you tougher, red jade is volatile and used in weapons (like jade-powered pistols), and so on.

Krabkolash
Dec 7, 2006

With this hand I rolled 8d20

AND GOT 160.
Okay, so looking at Red Aegis a bit closer since it is getting close to time for it wrap up and I noticed something. It seems like the backer levels are insanely heavy towards higher tiers. As in, you get no stretch goals until you go in for 50. And the the 50 dollar tier appears to be all digital?

Is there something I am missing or misreading or is it just that expensive?

Accursed
Oct 10, 2002

Krabkolash posted:

Okay, so looking at Red Aegis a bit closer since it is getting close to time for it wrap up and I noticed something. It seems like the backer levels are insanely heavy towards higher tiers. As in, you get no stretch goals until you go in for 50. And the the 50 dollar tier appears to be all digital?

Is there something I am missing or misreading or is it just that expensive?

That was my impression, as well. Too costly to get in to get just the entire game in PDF for me--having lower tiers with only the rules for players and not the full game is a bit poo poo.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
What's with these crazy RPG prices lately? Primevil Thule was nuts and the average backer paid a hundred bucks. We're moving into 60 bucks or more for a physical setting book and that just doesn't fly for me. I'm not prepaying at those kind of prices and my buddies won't either. These guys are killing their market.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
For physical print items it is because of the deal they have with printers. Trees ain't cheap.

Gasperkun
Oct 11, 2012
In the case of Primeval Thule, they said that probably their biggest cost was art. "Our artists are pros, and we want to pay them like that" or something, seemed to be the tagline. I still think it was too high a cost.

I only jumped in on Red Aegis because I was able to snipe a recently opened cheaper tier slot. Not by much, but enough to make the charge sting a bit less. I have seen an upswing of projects that are doing $25 for a PDF corebook and then another $25 for all the stretch goals in PDF. That is just crazy. It might seem different if we didn't have notable projects that make the digital levels attractive at a lower cost (Fate Core and Golden Sky Stories come to mind), but those projects happened too.

It's kind of a feedback loop, though. People keep tossing money into the hat to go for stretch goals, but in some cases the stretch goals are going to be what makes the tiers have the value they do. So it falls to the people with a lot of money or good will/idealism to fund them at the lower levels and keep the boat floating till stretch goals come in to make the sweet spot happen.

Here's an interesting bit about Jadepunk. TL;DR = stretch goals are based on amount of backers, not dollar figures. Stretch goals include: a Dungeon World edition and assuming they work out the licensing, they are considering a Cortex Plus edition too (the update says this is not confirmed but under consideration).

Gasperkun fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Aug 24, 2013

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Gasperkun posted:

In the case of Primeval Thule, they said that probably their biggest cost was art. "Our artists are pros, and we want to pay them like that" or something, seemed to be the tagline. I still think it was too high a cost.

That's no reason to charge $40 for a PDF. Art costs are fixed and upfront, so it should be covered by their funding goal. The more products you sell the cheaper the art gets per unit. They still could have reached their funding goal charging $10-20 for the PDFs and gotten a lot more people interested.

Thedandmom
Jul 5, 2013

Bucnasti posted:

That's no reason to charge $40 for a PDF. Art costs are fixed and upfront, so it should be covered by their funding goal. The more products you sell the cheaper the art gets per unit. They still could have reached their funding goal charging $10-20 for the PDFs and gotten a lot more people interested.

Yeah, I agree. 40$ for a pdf is outrages and there is no reason it should have cost that much. I'm including the pdfs free with my kickstarter. I'm in the reverse role though where I have to pay the writers since I'm the artist.

I may be doing this game development thing backwards.

Gasperkun
Oct 11, 2012

Bucnasti posted:

I don't disagree. I was just citing their rationale for what they were doing. I personally would've felt a lot better about the project if they had asked for saner dollar amounts. I would have liked to see the thing fully stacked with those stretch goals they ended up holding out as pies in the sky.

I have "overpaid" pledging for more projects than I would care to admit. I can afford to do that to some degree since I can foot more money into my gaming budget right now, but that doesn't mean it's the same for everyone - and it doesn't mean I like the trend that's starting. I'd prefer it if $10 or $15 were the digital tier baseline more often than double or triple that.

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

I jumped into the "Slacker backer" for Primeval Thule they have on their website for paypal. I love the poo poo out of Robert E Howard, and Conan, and the idea of that sort of universe with a small dabbling of Great Old Ones was such an amazing idea to me (Howard admittedly did this himself to a small degree). I am exactly their audience. I still only backed it because I got some birthday money. Even then, with "free" money I got as a gift, I was hesitant about paying $60 for a kickstarter project from an unknown studio. It's just too much money. If it was $40 I wouldn't have even hesitated on it. Hell, even $50 is pricey, but I probably would have still paid it out of my own money. Thats for a physical copy. I understand they were selling the PDFs for all the systems at $40, but that is still absolutely ridiculous for a PDF. Either split it up, let me pay a little more per "unit" on a single PDF, or give us a discount per "unit" for purchasing PDFs for multiple game systems.

All that said, I'm excited to murder poo poo with my panther-like thews.

Myrmidongs fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Aug 24, 2013

Gasperkun
Oct 11, 2012
Rosemont Bay will be done in a little under a day (20-ish hours). It hit the first 3 stretch goals - more information on magic/witchcraft, play during historical periods, and creeypasta/urban legends. It's working toward a stretch goal to mash-up Cortex Plus Drama with Action elements, which allows more easily for stuff like monster hunting, if that's your kinda thing. If the goal gets hit I think it should appeal to even more people. The next goal after that includes write-ups on clones and cosmic horror/cultists.

$10 for the PDF level and $25 for the print book. $10 to add the Companion PDF (stretch goals get put in the Companion) but if you pledge over $50 you get the Companion included at no extra cost.

Also, if you are interested you can get yourself or a character of your design written into the game (in addition to other benefits) for $85 as part of a final day push.

I've been pretty focused on this one since I know the guy running it and he's pretty cool. Check it out if you haven't.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Hold onto your butts... or you will be able to soon at least, because the basic flying assault butts have already started shipping according to the latest update

Story War just started shipping as well

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Flying Assault Butts is the great Kickstarter success of 2013.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Myrmidongs posted:

I jumped into the "Slacker backer" for Primeval Thule they have on their website for paypal. I love the poo poo out of Robert E Howard, and Conan, and the idea of that sort of universe with a small dabbling of Great Old Ones was such an amazing idea to me (Howard admittedly did this himself to a small degree). I am exactly their audience. I still only backed it because I got some birthday money. Even then, with "free" money I got as a gift, I was hesitant about paying $60 for a kickstarter project from an unknown studio. It's just too much money. If it was $40 I wouldn't have even hesitated on it. Hell, even $50 is pricey, but I probably would have still paid it out of my own money. Thats for a physical copy. I understand they were selling the PDFs for all the systems at $40, but that is still absolutely ridiculous for a PDF. Either split it up, let me pay a little more per "unit" on a single PDF, or give us a discount per "unit" for purchasing PDFs for multiple game systems.

All that said, I'm excited to murder poo poo with my panther-like thews.

$60 is a bit high but not unreasonable for a physical book, I realize that at the relatively small runs that most indy RPGs are being printed the cost per unit is pretty high. I rarely buy physical books these days because I don't have the space to store them though, I was all set to buy a Primal Thule PDF until I saw that price.

Also I'm pretty sure at the beginning of the kickstarter they weren't offering all system PDFs for $40, they wanted $40 for each system, they changed it after the kickstarter was running.

Gasperkun
Oct 11, 2012
Jadepunk has announced stretch goals. Keep in mind the stretch goals on this project are based on backer numbers.

Anyway, at successful funding and 300 backers, a version will be released for Dungeon World. They have also received the okay for a Cortex Plus version (thanks to some above and beyond work by Christi Cardenas, they say), but they are not announcing a number of backers for that goal yet.

I'm excited to see projects doing stuff like this because these games are in a similar design space but fulfill different needs. I also want to see Cortex Plus take off because it's got interesting possibilities.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I just got in on Magnum Opus, which is a pretty neat-seeming deckbuilder. It's got about a day and a half left and I thought there may be some interest. It's from GameSalute, so I know there's some non-US folks that makes this an automatic non-starter, sadly.

The idea is that you're an alchemist trying to create the Philosopher's Stone through research and making money through using simpler alchemy and selling reagents. You try to build up the tools you need on the table in front of you, then making reactions. It reminds me a little of how Briefcase works. The discoveries are randomized, so you don't know what's in a given spot on the research grid until you react the two reagents that make it up. Looks a little convoluted to set up, but the randomness of setup could lead to some interesting strategies.

Anyone have any thoughts on this one?

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
It looks like Pundowski is getting involved with a kickstarter project!

Yes, he still goes by RPGPundit and the kickstarter contains a link to TheRPGSite. :ssh:

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Bedlamdan posted:

It looks like Pundowski is getting involved with a kickstarter project!

Yes, he still goes by RPGPundit and the kickstarter contains a link to TheRPGSite. :ssh:

quote:

Grassroots projects like RAIDERS of R’LYEH…

What the gently caress are you even talking about? "Us vs. Them." It's always "Us vs. Them."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

So it's a Lovecraft themed game that's derived from the same game system that Call of Cthulhu is based on? What's the point of releasing it as a standalone game?

• Locked thread