Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

My copy of Garbage Day turned up yesterday and I got to play it at the games club this evening, it was good fun. Well done that goon!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

cheers, I'll be running another found gamebook thread in a couple of weeks as well in GBS so if you're interested drop in.

Somehow I never saw these before, but I enjoyed reading back through your other threads so I'm looking forward to this one.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Kwyndig posted:

In older KS news, I'm still getting new Mutant Chronicle books from Modiphius periodically. I just really wish they sent out DTRPG links instead of having to manually download the drat things off of a file locker site. Think there's like one left.

They've sent out a couple rounds of DTRPG links, but it's like they wait for several things to have released and then get around to it or something. I also would much rather have them than the BackerKit downloads, especially since it'll probably be a while before I get around to reading the books, much less playing.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?
Just backed One Deck Dungeon, which is a lightweight co-op dungeon crawl. The mechanics of battling and powering up from each encounter look to be interesting and provide some choices to be made alongside all the dice rolling. There is a print-and-play demo that I haven't tried, my only big fear is on replayability.

The art being non-pinup female adventurers is a strong selling point.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
Far West updated! GMS says it's going to be out very soon! And he's suspending refunds until after Far West is released! Which is funny since one backer tried to convince him that it'd cost less to just refund him than to try and ship something to New Zealand at current shipping prices.

But it probably doesn't matter because it's never coming out.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

TacoNight posted:

Just backed One Deck Dungeon, which is a lightweight co-op dungeon crawl. The mechanics of battling and powering up from each encounter look to be interesting and provide some choices to be made alongside all the dice rolling. There is a print-and-play demo that I haven't tried, my only big fear is on replayability.

The art being non-pinup female adventurers is a strong selling point.
I got to play this at PAX East and really enjoyed it. It's worth pointing out that the game is pretty rough; you're not so much trying to beat the boss as seeing how far you can get. I can't really speak to replayability since I only played it twice, but there's something like 50 cards and you're maybe going to encounter 20 or so per playthrough.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Evil Mastermind posted:

I got to play this at PAX East and really enjoyed it. It's worth pointing out that the game is pretty rough; you're not so much trying to beat the boss as seeing how far you can get. I can't really speak to replayability since I only played it twice, but there's something like 50 cards and you're maybe going to encounter 20 or so per playthrough.
Interesting thing is that there's a $100,000 stretch goal that adds character sheets so you can add upgrades/perks after enough playthroughs. Maybe it'll be like Rogue Legacy where you have to work up to being powerful enough to take on the dungeon (with this campaign option).

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 04:05 on May 20, 2016

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Hello, I would like to plug my goon project here. It's called Star Bastards and it's a solo adventure gamebook, kind of like the Fighting Fantasy series in that it has some light stat management but it plays differently because the mechanics don't work the same way. It's a chase story set in a crummy part of the galaxy where you either play as the guy on the run or the cop that's trying to bring him in

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/twofistedfantasy/star-bastards-a-two-fisted-sci-fi-adventure-gamebo

Art is on point. Good luck!

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!
Because the world is a very strange place indeed, a "The Dark Eye - English Edition" Kickstarter is currently running and already funded for about 720%.
- Click https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1216685848/the-dark-eye-rpgenglish-edition
Never took the anglo-saxon realms to be so into german bureaucratic fantasy gaming.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Hello, I would like to plug my goon project here. It's called Star Bastards and it's a solo adventure gamebook, kind of like the Fighting Fantasy series in that it has some light stat management but it plays differently because the mechanics don't work the same way. It's a chase story set in a crummy part of the galaxy where you either play as the guy on the run or the cop that's trying to bring him in. It's effectively two 200-paragraph stories that share mechanics and game assets like item cards and the co-pilot roster. Also both of those stories are pretty funny because everyone you encounter is a complete bastard and mostly out ofr themselves, hence the name.

It's been doing good on Kickstarter and hit its modest funding goal pretty quickly, now I'm working on stretch goals and trying to improve things before the project comes to an end in a few weeks. Anyway if you're hunting around for something to fund maybe you'll enjoy it!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/twofistedfantasy/star-bastards-a-two-fisted-sci-fi-adventure-gamebo

Needs a new £200 pledge level.

STUPID BASTARD

Exactly the same as the £100 pledge, but you paid twice as much for it.

(I'd wager you'll get at least one upgrade, and no it won't be me.)

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

That just reminds me that Roosterteeth is doing a KS for a CAH-alike based on their Million Dollars, But... web series. It's a little different in that each person has their own two card play instead of everyone doing the same madlibs thing.

It has a special pledge for anyone dumb enough to give them a million dollars though :v:

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Jedit posted:

Needs a new £200 pledge level.

STUPID BASTARD

Exactly the same as the £100 pledge, but you paid twice as much for it.

(I'd wager you'll get at least one upgrade, and no it won't be me.)

that's literally the £100 pledge, it was designed to get money out of my parents and wandering lunatics. you don't get much extra for your £50

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
I've just backed Hoard, a casual set collection game that has you stealing treasure from a sleeping dragon, and each other. The mechanics look straightforward and fun and the art is beautiful, which is unsurprising since it was originally designed by two artists from Weta Digital.

The game is finished and they're looking to confirm an initial print run of at least 2,000 copies - Cheeky Parrot Games already have a few games available and their most recent one was successfully funded through PledgeMe, so I'm fully confident in their ability to deliver this one. Plus I don't have to pay shipping since they're based in New Zealand!

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Now I sort of want a game where you play a Dragon stealing your hoard back from adventurers and planting evidence that they were stealing from each other :smaug:

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Helical Nightmares posted:

Now I sort of want a game where you play a Dragon stealing your hoard back from adventurers and planting evidence that they were stealing from each other :smaug:

You want Dragon's Hoard, then. You're kidnapping sheep and trading them in for loot in a tableau-builder. It's pretty good.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Echophonic posted:

You want Dragon's Hoard, then. You're kidnapping sheep and trading them in for loot in a tableau-builder. It's pretty good.

Hahaha :neckbeard: loving yaaaaay

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Echophonic posted:

I found this while cleaning the house in preparation for packing/moving, I completely forgot I kickstarted it and just like the rest have no one to play it with :smith:

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Mr.Misfit posted:

Because the world is a very strange place indeed, a "The Dark Eye - English Edition" Kickstarter is currently running and already funded for about 720%.
- Click https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1216685848/the-dark-eye-rpgenglish-edition
Never took the anglo-saxon realms to be so into german bureaucratic fantasy gaming.

Not shocked at this TBH, it's one of the last lost foreign gems of TTRPG games. As a gamer in the 90's you always heard of these strange foreign games that were supposedly really cool but that we never got in America like Drakar Och Demoner and Dark Eye so it would follow that when these games finally have the chance of making to the English speaking market in some capacity there is a bit of hype around them. Although traditionally until very recently games developed in countries that don't speak English have had a rough time on the RPG market. I'm still mad the English edition of Agone bombed because that game is real cool.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

I backed this one: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bybez/wibbell-a-game-system-letters-language-and-laughte

It's a deck of letter cards with rules for several games you can play with them. Looks like a good time and it doesn't cost a lot. The guys making this seem really cool as well.

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011
I've already picked up a couple of banner ads on the site for it, but I'd like to draw people's attention to the Kickstarter for Trigger Discipline, a gun sword dueling game made by some friends of mine.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/833494208/trigger-discipline

The game is a real labor of love from a couple of guys who are big fans of dueling games, and they've been careful to find new ways to emulate the fighting-game-on-a-board feel without just unnecessarily reinventing the wheel. Also, the art is easily some of the best I've seen in a game that's a first-time Kickstarter.

If you're not sure if you're into the idea of owning another dueling game, kicking in at the five dollar tier gets you a print-and-play version of the game with four of the game's eight playable characters.

Claytor fucked around with this message at 17:27 on May 21, 2016

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL
:goatsecx:

I'm a sucker for this sort of game. Enough of a sucker that I backed.

Stuff no one cares about : it seems to riff on a lot of ideas that I'd been exploring in game design, but does so in a way I didn't consider which makes me extra interested to give it a go.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
It's interesting, but I'm kind of unsure about it because they don't have shipping estimates up front. That's something I'd expect from a miniatures-heavy game...

I guess I'll message them asking for an early estimate.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
A lot of kickstarters have been waiting until they're closer to shipping to calculate costs. It's a good way of making sure you don't go broke the next time the rates increase.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Echophonic posted:

A lot of kickstarters have been waiting until they're closer to shipping to calculate costs. It's a good way of making sure you don't go broke the next time the rates increase.

Yeah, for sure, I just haven't really seen that happen for boardgames that don't have a lot of miniatures.

I'll think about it. It's very hard to say no to gun blades.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I'm leery of multiple tiers with different stretch goals for each, personally.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Bronze gets game upgrades, silver also gets promos, and gold also gets future expansion stuff early is what I gather. I'm pretty sure about the first 2, not entirely about the gold tier.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
It's not as bad as some campaigns I've seen (or backed), I just think it's a mistake to offer granular stuff like that. Especially being their fist foray into publishing. It's begging for fulfillment issues.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I also think it's not the smartest idea to start out with, but at least you get the practical SGs no matter which tier you back.

e: scratch that, forgot that Gold gets expansion stuff early

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Claytor posted:

I've already picked up a couple of banner ads on the site for it, but I'd like to draw people's attention to the Kickstarter for Trigger Discipline, a gun sword dueling game made by some friends of mine.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/833494208/trigger-discipline

Your friends really need to get stuff on BGG before the Kickstarter. It's a really invaluable marketing resource, especially since the art is actually pretty decent.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

A little while ago I backed Neolithic which is a worker placement card game from SmallBox Games. It turned up a few days back and I've had a chance to play it a few times .

The rules aren't super clear and relies on a few judgement calls and similarly there's card text that is fuzzy but the central idea is really clever. You start with a villager and play it to one or four decks to draw cards (procreating, gathering, hunting or procreating each of which draws in a slightly different way and demands a particular villager type). Once you've run out of villagers you pull them back from the decks and gain one village action for each that lets you play cards. You can play cards in one of two ways, generally speaking one gives points but needs resource icons and the other gives these icons (although some can be discarded for additional cards or give bonuses to other actions). The villagers too are potentially sources of points for specific icons but once in the village they are stuck and you can't send them out again to get more cards.

It feels like a prototype to show off a mechanism rather than a game and has an issue with the villagers being the best source of points to such a degree that there seems to be a degenerate strategy

Still, it comes on a playing card box (this is the gimmick of the company) so it's ideal for travelling and the kickstarter itself was great in terms of speed of turn around and updates. Looking into it, these guys seem to have banged out quite a few other games and have become pros.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

Captain_Person posted:

I've just backed Hoard, a casual set collection game that has you stealing treasure from a sleeping dragon, and each other. The mechanics look straightforward and fun and the art is beautiful, which is unsurprising since it was originally designed by two artists from Weta Digital.

The game is finished and they're looking to confirm an initial print run of at least 2,000 copies - Cheeky Parrot Games already have a few games available and their most recent one was successfully funded through PledgeMe, so I'm fully confident in their ability to deliver this one. Plus I don't have to pay shipping since they're based in New Zealand!

Looks nice, backed it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Ooh, yeah. For the equivalent of £16 with UK shipping, I'm sold.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Red Markets is a game about economic horror.

The players are survivalists living in the written-off section of the United States after a zombie apocalypse wrecks everything west of the Appalachians. Their goal is to barter, scavenge, earn and otherwise take enough profit to retire back where civilization still exists.

I have a very high opinion of the mechanics of this game, as economic horror is represented by your stats, your equipment and even your humanity as points that are either spent directly, or consumed in the course of your adventures. Money regenerates these, but there's never enough to go around, and basic maintenance and bare necessities introduce a minimum amount of profit that you need to make on every adventure just to be able to get through your day, and Lord help you if you can't pay the bills.

The dice mechanic I also really like: you roll two d10s, one red and one black, and succeed if the black is higher than the red, with things like skills and extra effort adding to the black die. It's very reminiscent of what I like about roll-under systems where the GM never has to think about setting a DC, but with more room for advancement.

Role Playing Public Radio has multiple Actual Play episodes of the beta test rules.

I'm probably really underselling it (I'm sorry clockworkjoe!) but this is just about my most anticipated TG KS ever.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Huh. That's an actual good premise for a zombie game. That's rare.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea, congrats to them for finally making a zombie game with a unique idea

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
I see it either being an insightful, powerful game that explores the nature of crime, greed, poverty, and the economic gap that has enough of a fantastical setting to allow a respectful distance, or the most heavy handed, shallow, "greed is bad, guys" product ever. I'm pledging, because the first would be worth the risk of the second.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I see it either being an insightful, powerful game that explores the nature of crime, greed, poverty, and the economic gap that has enough of a fantastical setting to allow a respectful distance, or the most heavy handed, shallow, "greed is bad, guys" product ever. I'm pledging, because the first would be worth the risk of the second.

You could run it either way or just as a gritty surival horror zombie game with tense resource management rules and psychological consequences for the character.

The alpha and the actual plays feel like The Road and The Walking Dead the better parts of the latter anyway.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Yeah, I went ahead and put a reminder on that one, I'll probably pledge on it.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

gradenko_2000 posted:

Red Markets is a game about economic horror.

The players are survivalists living in the written-off section of the United States after a zombie apocalypse wrecks everything west of the Appalachians. Their goal is to barter, scavenge, earn and otherwise take enough profit to retire back where civilization still exists.

I have a very high opinion of the mechanics of this game, as economic horror is represented by your stats, your equipment and even your humanity as points that are either spent directly, or consumed in the course of your adventures. Money regenerates these, but there's never enough to go around, and basic maintenance and bare necessities introduce a minimum amount of profit that you need to make on every adventure just to be able to get through your day, and Lord help you if you can't pay the bills.

The dice mechanic I also really like: you roll two d10s, one red and one black, and succeed if the black is higher than the red, with things like skills and extra effort adding to the black die. It's very reminiscent of what I like about roll-under systems where the GM never has to think about setting a DC, but with more room for advancement.

Role Playing Public Radio has multiple Actual Play episodes of the beta test rules.

I'm probably really underselling it (I'm sorry clockworkjoe!) but this is just about my most anticipated TG KS ever.

Thanks! We really appreciate the support. It's actually west of the Mississippi river, but the setting is pretty malleable. We just posted a new podcast about structuring the Kickstarter's stretch goals and whatnot: http://slangdesign.com/rppr/2016/05/game-designer-workshop/game-designer-workshop-episode-12-dream-just-the-right-amount/ -

Keep in mind Caleb and I have been talking about Red Markets since 2013 - we have a whole series on the RPPR podcast about its design and many iterations: http://slangdesign.com/rppr/category/game-designer-workshop/

After the Brutalists campaign, I will post a campaign for Red Markets that I ran earlier this year. It's a great hybrid between a traditional RPG and a storytelling game because it adds in work/life balance (role play scenes with loved ones/dependents to regain humanity/sanity back), team social combat/negotiation (every player, even non-social focused characters can help the negotiator get bonuses when haggling for the price of their next job), and pure survival horror (multiple types of zombies - slow Romero ones, fast running 28 days laters murder machines, and monstrous aberrants with unique abilities).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Hiro Protagonist posted:

As with any tabletop RPG, a lot will depend on the approach and skill level of the GM and players, but as run by Caleb it's been a lot more the former than the latter, and though I've yet to see the rules with my own eyes, what you can pick up from the APs sound like they do a pretty good job of channeling things in that direction. I'm definitely in.

• Locked thread